Confidence in Sunshine

12hour
The next few days were no better or worse than the first two days. I went on wild goose chases around Seoul. I ran errands around the JYPE building like a maniac. And of course, I had the singing lessons. 

I worked. Harder than I had worked in music school. Harder than I've ever worked. I didn't get much sleep because I would always practice in the living room before going to bed. 

I had never wanted anything so much before. 

The day before JYP was supposed to come, I was on my company issued Mac (yes!) in 12hour's studio. I was picking out some of the photos from the 'beast' photo shoot, which, if I do say so myself, looked pretty good. 

I was also watching the girls practice their dance for their first single. They had the instrumentals for the song but they hadn't recorded it with their voices yet. 

The dance was both cute and y, which was unusual, and didn't seem like it would mix, but they made it work. The song was going to be called, "24/7".

I found myself tapping my foot to the beat as they practiced. 

I was immersed in the song and looking through the dozens of photos, I didn't notice someone waving their hand in front of my face. 

I suddenly jumped back, yelping. I quickly caught the Mac, which was dangerously close to falling, shattering and making me pay a crapload for it. 

"Whoa, sorry," Junsu laughed a bit. He took the Mac from me and set it on the floor. "You know, I thought you'd notice my presence since I've been saying your name for the past minute."

I stuck my tongue out. 

The past few days, I've gotten more comfortable with 2pm. They treated me like their friend, sister even. 

"Come on, you have to practice." Junsu was already out the door. 

I scrambled to my feet and followed him. 

I skipped down the hall and Junsu joined me. Some trainees who were coming out of the elevator we passed looked at each other in confusion. 

"Excited for tomorrow?" Junsu asked when we were inside the studio. 

"Yes!"

"Don't be."

"You give great pep-talks, you know that?" I said sarcastically.

Junsu chuckled. "What I mean is, you should be preparing yourself to sing a depressing song. You're not singing about rainbows and sunshine."

"If only." I got the guitar out and began to absently strum it. 

For three hours straight, I practiced. 

I wanted this. 

oOo

Rara set a cup of tea in front of me. 

I took it. "Thank you."

Rara leaned over the counter. "Nervous?"

I took a sip an nodded. 

"Trust me, JYP is not scary or anything," Rara assured me. "Besides, we've heard you practicing before. You're a good singer. I think you might be better than us. Even Hana and Eun Mi said so, and they're our vocalists."

I nodded absently. 

"Hyun Ae."

I looked up at Rara. 

"Even Junsu thinks you're a good singer," she said. "I think that he may even think your better than him."

"Wishful thinking." I took another sip of the tea. It was actually quite calming. "Then why would he teach me?"

"He wants a capable rival," Rara said. "He needs some motivation to be better. I think you're the only person that can pose as a threat to him."

I smiled and nodded. I didn't necessarily agree but I really didn't want to go against Rara. 

We chatted for a while longer until I finished my tea. 

I put the cup in the sink and said good night. 

"Hyun Ae, get some sleep," Rara told me. "Don't tire yourself out by practicing. You want to be fresh tomorrow."

I nodded and smiled. 

The others wished me a good night's sleep.

I fell onto my bed, reviewing every note, every chord in my head. 

I fell asleep with Lies. 

oOo

When I got to the Manager's office, he quickly shooed me away. 

My first thought was that I was fired. 

"You get the day off," the Manager told me. "It's a bit of a slow day so I won't need your help and you need to prepare yourself."

"Oh, thank you." A wave of relief washed over me. Actually, it was more of a tsunami since my knees almost buckled. 

"We really want to be there," Nichkhun said apologetically. 

"But unfortunately, all of our schedules are booked at that time," Wooyoung finished. "Though, Junsu can make it since he's your teacher and everything."

"Way to support me, guys," I joked. 

Even though they couldn't stay for my audition (meanies), they did hug me, and I didn't fangirl (not that much at least). 

I spent all of my morning practicing. Sung Gyu made me take breaks so my voice wouldn't get too tired. 

Finally, it was two. JYP was in the building. 

I was told to come to a biggeUr recording studio on the higher levels. I packed my guitar and made my way. 

I knocked politely at the door, and an assistant let me in. I bowed multiple times to the various executives as well as the assistants. Hey no pressure. There's only like fifty more people than you thought there would be. 

I bowed deepest for JYP, who was sitting a rather comfy looking chair. 

He got up and extended his hand for me to shake. "Pleasure to meet you, Miss Lee Hyun Ae. I've heard quite a bit about you."

I shook his hand, hoping I would seem confident. I smiled a little too timidly, "Nothing too bad I hope."

JYP smiled. "2pm says your lattes are the best."

"I try." I shrugged, trying to seem casual. 

"Please." JYP opened the door to the sound proof room. I went in with the guitar. 

I took a seat at the stool and put on the headphones JYP gave me. 

JYP smiled at me encouragingly before going leaving the sound proof room. I saw all of them through the window. 

A technician leaned into the microphone. 

"We're going to do a sound check, so could you play the first few notes," he told me. 

I nodded and played the first few notes. He gave me the thumbs up. 

  I looked at the expectant and somewhat impatient executives. JYP was leaning back in his chair casually. Junsu gave me a smile and a thumbs up from the back. 

I nodded. 

I played. 

And I sang. 

"Neujeun bam biga naeryeowa neol deryeowa. Jeojeun gieok kkeute dwicheogyeo na. Neo eobsi jal sal su itdago."

I looked through the window but not at any particular person. I was looking off into space, pretending that I was a big star and that I had hundreds of fans screaming my name. I was singing for all those broken hearted people. I sang for my family when my dad had the heart attack.  

"I'm so sorry but I love you da geojitmal. I'm so sorry. But I love you. I'm so sorry but I love you nareul tteona. Cheoncheonhi ijeojullae. Naega apahal su itge."

I ad libbed the end of the song to fill up the emptiness with just the guitar playing. I had never practiced it before, but it felt right to do it then. 

No one clapped. 

My stomach twisted into a knot and I was happy I was sitting or else I would have fallen. 

I had just made a fool of myself. 

I forced myself to look at JYP, who was nodding seriously. He motioned for me to come out.

I shakily got off the stool and took my guitar with me for some kind of emotional support. 

I didn't dare look at Junsu. I could almost feel his disappointment. 

I was now standing in front of JYP. 

"Hyun Ae," he said. 

"Yes."

"You," he said, "have a beautiful voice."

Oh God, they pity me so much they have to give me fake compliments before they tear my heart into pieces. 

"I am sorry, but we cannot establish a solo singer at the time," JYP told me, looking straight into my eyes. 

"Yes, I understand," I said, trying to swallow the lump in my throat. I hurriedly began to gather my guitar. 

"Hyun Ae, wait." JYP put a hand on my shoulder. 

I stopped. I didn't look up at his face or else I would have cried. 

"That was one of the best covers I think all of us in this room have heard," JYP said. 

I looked up at him slowly. 

"I think you would be a great lead vocalist for 12hour," JYP smiled at me. 

I opened my mouth but nothing would come out. 

I looked at Junsu, who was grinning from ear to ear. 

"But," JYP suddenly said. 

I died a little inside. 

"12hour is a very acrobatic, dance type group as well," JYP continued. "I am convinced that your voice is perfect but you need to be able to keep up with the girls on the dancing and acrobatics. I'll give you one day to learn the choreography of their dance. I'll come back tomorrow at seven to make the final decision."

One day to learn a dance? I've had less time. 

I began to bow vigorously in thanks. "Thank you all so much. I'll work hard for tomorrow."

"I look forward to it, Hyun Ae," JYP shook my hand again. 

I bowed out of the room like they were royalty and skipped and danced down the hall like I was in the Sound of Music. 

"I have confidence in sunshine!" I began singing the old song from my childhood at the top of my lungs as I ran down the stairs, not bothering with the elevator, to tell Sung Gyu and the girls if they were there. 

They just finished their practice. I burst into their studio, singing These Are a Few of My Favorite Things. 

Eyebrows went up at alarming rates. 

I told them a recap of my nerve-racking audition. They squealed when I said I could be the lead vocalist of 12hour. 

"But I need to learn your dance by seven tomorrow," I added, a little less excitedly. 

"Well? What are you waiting for! Come on!" Hana dragged us back into the studio, where Tae Ji, the main dancer, began to teach me and the others helped. 

They had to re-choreograph the steps slightly to make it fit for five people instead of four and that took some time. The rest of the day, they taught me. 

We came home around ten. I really wanted to take a long hot shower but that would be kind of rude since I live with four other people with only one bathroom. 

After we were all squeaky clean, Eun Mi and Rara passed cups of tea around in the living room, where the rest of us were sprawled on the floor. 

"Hana," I started to say, a bit wary. 

"Yeah?" Hana's eyes turned to me. 

"If I do get accepted and become the lead vocalist, will you be..."

"Angry? Nah." Hana shrugged. "I don't really care. I do care if they decide to make you the new leader. Trust me, I've worked hard for this position. Oh and..."

She leaned in only half a centimeter and said in a very loud whisper, "Keep your hands off Nichkhun. He's mine."

I laughed. "Trust me, I won't lay a finger on him."

"Oppa belongs to Victoria-unnie anyway so it doesn't matter," Eun Mi said casually, an evil glint in her eye. 

Hana snorted. "That was only for the show."

"I don't know, Hana," Rara glanced at Eun Mi. "It looked pretty real to me."

"And did you see how upset they were when the show ended?" Tae Ji joined in. "Oppa and unnie looked so upset!"

Hana groaned and then perked up. "Whatever! I'll take Wooyoung!"

"He's IU's," I tried to hold back my smirk. "They had some pretty good chemistry in Dream High."

Hana looked at me slyly. "Then I'll take...hm...Junsu-oppa."

She smirked evilly at me. 

"Go ahead," I shrugged. "I don't think he really likes anyone right now. Actually, I don't think he's ever been shipped with anyone other than 2pm themselves."

Tae Ji gave me a weird look and Eun Mi started to crack up. 

Hana threw her hands up in frustration for some reason. "I give up."

"Oookay," I looked at her strangely. I shrugged and rinsed my cup out in the sink. "Good night. I need to be full of energy for tomorrow."

There was a disorganized chorus of good nights as I went back to mine and Tae Ji's room. 

I crawled under the blankets and I began to wonder what Hana meant. I think I got the answer but I'd rather not think about it. 

Besides, she was only joking. 

Nothing serious really. 

At least, I hope not.