Chapter 9

Apartment: should we stay?

Gary, JiHyo and son

3rd April 2014

JiHyo scanning the surrounding. Now she is in the restaurant where she supposed to meet her cousin. Whenever she had problem she will seek advise from her. After hectic time in hospital today, only now she able to meet her. After a minute, she spotted her at the corner of restaurant.
"Sorry, i'm late. Got stopped by my intern just now." Jihyo took a seat in front of her cousin.
"Jihyo unnie! You look terrible," 
"How could you? You know lately i been busy with my work. With all the clinical work and the paperwork..aish!"
"So what's now? I bet it still Gary right?" 
"After this year i can tolerate him but now..its my mother in law! Why am i still stuck in her house? She..she is totally control freak fella!" Jihyo let out her anger. There is the only time she can after she hold it for sometime.
"Hahaha..now you regret? See, if you listen to me earlier, for sure you lead happy life with that guy. Sorry what is his name?"
"Cheon Soo ssi...Yah Lee Yoori! Don't start again..its my fate to be married to him."
"But who on the earth will thought that a professional who is now attending physician is married to a musician? How much your husband earn in a month? He just use your money..if not because of the night.."
"Stop it. And correction, its not musician. He is a song producer. By the way, i came all the way from hospital not to hear about your nagging. Please help me.." Jihyo made her cute face.
"What can i help you?"
"I need a house. Any house that can separate my family from her."
"Hmm..." Yoori thought for a while. She tried to help her cousin. Little that Jihyo know that her cousin only want to see their marriage break.
"My husband recently had told me about an apartmet and i think it is nearer to your workplace."
"Is it? Where is it?" Jihyo excitedly ask.
"But..are you sure you want that house? Because the previous tenant only rented for few months before they ran away from it. Personally i never been there, my husband got it as family properties."
"I don't care. As long as i can keave that house."
"If like that i try to call my husband first." Yoori pick up her phone and made a call.
"Min Jung oppa...." Yoori start the conversation while Jihyo listened to it calmly.

*****************************************************************************************

Gary was sitting on the couch watching her mother feeding his son, Chun Ae when the main door is opened. Jihyo stepped into the house.She looks tired and is not her usual time to reach home. Gary is not dare to say anything as he know it will lead to a fight.
" oh Jihyo ah..why are you so late today? Chun Ae almost forgot his mother's face." Gary's mom start to nag around. Jihyo just stood still in front of the door.
"Omoni, i'm sorry. I was busy with patient lately."
"You should consider your family when you been promoted as attending in charge that day. Does your work more important than watching over your son?"
Jihyo kept silent. She turned to Gary who just sitting in the couch pretend not to hear anything. Her face is burning tried to control her anger. It is the usual words that will come out from her mother in law's since almost 2 years of their marriage. She is once forced Jihyo to quit as a doctor and be a fulltime housewife but after threatening her that she will ran away from the house, the issue never been brought up.
"Omoni..i'm tired now. Can we talk about this thing later?" Jihyo took her son from the baby chair and make her way to the bedroom.
"I hope i don't have to make appointment for that." Jihyo still can hear her mother in law's voice on her way up.
Gary who is now left in the living room also make his way to the room but stopped halfway to face his mother.
"Omma..why you been so hard on her lately? She already had so much pressure at work, why you need to give more at home?" Gary talk to her mother in his soft voice. "Beside, you are the one who want it. Why don't you try to be more considerate?" He continue to talk. He always want Jihyo to be comfortable with his family especially his mother. He don't mind been scolded or left behind in every her decision, as long as she is with him.
"She should treat you better.." Gary's mom hold his hand as try to support her son. Gary just smile back.

********************************************************************************+**+******
He entered the room when he saw Jihyo sleeping next to Chun Ae, still wearing her working cloth. Gary carried his son slowly to put him in the baby cot nearby but Chun Ae gave a soft squeal that awakened Jihyo. She is easily wake up since having Chun Ae.
"Its okay..i just move him," Gary comforted Chun Ae before put him in the cot. Jihyo who is still tired rubbed her eyes before slowly sit at the edge of the bed.
"Go and take shower. Then you can have good sleep," Gary told Jihyo who is still sleepy looking. Jihyo just nodded and walk into the shower.
After few minutes in the shower, Jihyo put on her sleeping pyjama and straight away walk to the bed. She noticed her husband already lie down on the couch in the room. Since they married, he never been on the same bed with Jihyo. It was their agreement to keep on the mariage. Jihyo pulled up the blanket to herself.
"Are you working in morning shift tomorrow?" Gary ask Jihyo when she just about to close her eyes.
"No.. I will be in afternoon shift. Anything?" Even they are not facing each other  in the darkness of the room but they still able to communicate.
"About your text earlier. We need to talk but if you are tired, its okay. We can talk tomorrow." 
Jihyo turn on the bedside lamp and sit. She positioned herself to face Gary who still lie down on the couch. Gary noticed the light and also turn up.
"I have decide about it. Its for our own good." said Jihyo after they kept silent for a while.
"Our own good?" Gary chuckled in his word. "You are being selfish now." He continue to talk.
"Why? It is the best time for us to get out from this! Beside we are not like  the other married couple. At least we don't have to put on act anymore. I'm really tired."
"You thought omma don't know about our status? She is being like that because she already knew about us."
"So i don't see any problem for us to move out. Or you just want me and Chun Ae to go? So it will be easier for you to..."
"You think i am that kind of husband? Eventhough i just play along with you, i know my responsibility. Chun Ae is my son. You are my wife. Either you like or not, it will remain like that until one of us die."
"Oh so now you change you heart? I thought you said you only be here for the matter of this marriage. It will be finish once the marriage is over."
"Jihyo, i'm tired to argue anymore.. Why you hate me so much? Can you open your heart a bit?"
"How can i not hate you when you cause me this miserable life?"
"You think Chun Ae is your burden also?"
Jihyo kept silent. She watched her son who is sleeping in the cot. When she is carrying Chun Ae in her early pregnancy, it was her difficult time but when she delivered him and first time she carrying Chun Ae in her arm, it was like the whole world is celebrating the joyful moment. She loves him more than anything else.
"So what is your plan?" Seeing Jihyo just remain silent, Gary ask again.
"Gary, i found new apartment. From Yoori. She suggested this place. Its near my working place. I thought of moving in this weekend."
"Have you see that house?" Jihyo nodded lightly. "You like it?" Jihyo nodded also.
"Then, we can proceed. Don't worry, you had my word."
"Thank you. I hope we can think about marriage after we move in, it will be easier for us to get the divorce later."
Gary heard the word divorce and kept echoing in his mind thorought the sleepless night. 

******************************************************************************************

5th April 2014

"Yes..he agree to it. So we will be moving in this Saturday. Do you come to help me?" Jihyo is on the line with Yoori.
"I can't make it but Min Jung oppa will be there. Your mother inlaw..she is okay with the decision?"
"of course, Gary made her agree. Even she said no, i will stick to my plan."
"Wah bad girl! You must take care of her heart after this cause you will break it again once you guys get divorced."
"Aishh.. Now you remind me about that. Never mind i know how to take care of it." Jihyo later ended the call as one of her intern enter her room.
"Dr Song, there is patient in resus zone. His family insisted to see you."
"Why? Is it something you guys had wrongly done? Yah, i just left for 30minutes and now you kill patient?"
Jihyo is known as one of the strict physician in ER department and since she is been promoted as attending in charge, her mood never been good.
The intern just shook his head fast. Jihyo then followed him to resus zone.

Jihyo entered the bay, a male patient is lying on the stretcher. Cardiac monitor shows abnormal rhythm which cause the loud beep sound from it. He was seminconcious and sweating a lot.
"23 years old male, collapsed at home about 1 hour ago. His brothers claimed he had seizure attack prior to that."
"Did he ever receive any treatment here before?"
"Yes, we already trace his record. his first visit is about 2 years ago. And you are the one who treat him."
"What?" Jihyo took the file. She read it again tried to bring back the memory.
After given the initial treatment, the patient became more stable and was transfferd to ICU.
"Where is the relative? I need to explain to them." The intern brought Jihyo to the awaiting area. 2 men who are sitting on the bench turn to her when their name been called.
"Oh, Dr Song. How is Kwangsoo?" A muscle guy ask Jihyo.
"You are?"
"I'm his elder brother. Jongkook." Now only Jihyo remember it. That night. When everything started.

Flashback
1st July 2012

Jihyo was attending on duty that night. She took a nap in her office when a emergency siren rang. She quickly put on her white coat and rushed to the resus area. There is a young guy lying on the stretcher. Unconscious.
"What we got here?" Ask Jihyo while wearing gloves and face mask.

"21 years old male, collapsed at home. No previous medical illness."
" we got any pulse?" Jihyo ask while palpating at thepatient's neck.
"Got..but very weak. He had bradycardia (slow pulse rate)," answered by one of the nurse.
"Drugs?" Jihyo now checked for the patient's pupil reaction.
"Denied by his family. They claimed that his brother been..." 
"Doctor! Please save him! Please!" Suddenly a guy barge into the room. Jihyo looks into his intern with a big question mark on her face.

"His brother. They made a big chaos outside just now." The intern whispered to Jihyo.
Suddenly a flat line appeared on the monitor. All of them look again on the monitor.
"Chest compression now! Nurse Choi, we need to ventilate him. Please someone send his brother outside. I will talk to him later." Jihyo straight away put tube inside the patient's mouth. After a while they got back the pulse. 
Jihyo went to the awaiting area and looking for the brother.
"Doctor, i'm Jongkook. This is my brother, Haha. How is he? How is Kwangsoo?" A man answered politely. He looks a bit calm while the other man stared at her with a furios look.
"He is a bit stable now but still in the critical phase. We still invstigating the cause of the collapse. Anything that i should know?"
"Hey doctor, i told everything just now. What else you want?" Haha shouted to her.
"I am helping your brother, so please mind your word." 
Haha is about to hit her before Jongkook stop him.
"It may sound weird but he been possesed just now. That's what we told the paramedic just now but no one believe us,"
"Possesed? Sorry for being rude but if you think its been possesed why you bring your brother here?"  Jihyo's word made Haha exploded. He grabbed Jihyo's collar and stared at her.
"Yah Haha! What are you doing? You will cause more trouble," Jongkook release the grab and bowed lightly to Jihyo.

"Sorry Dr Song. Please continue looking for the cause. That is the only thing i can tell about him. We will wait here."  then pulled Haha to the exit door after few security guards approaching them.
"Dr Song! Don't be so arrogant with your title," shout Haha while being pulled away.
Jihyo just watched that two guys leaving when a man approach him from behind.
"Jihyo?" She turned to the voice. Automatically a smile appeared. 
"Cheon Soo. Its okay.." answered Jihyo
"We move the patient to ICU. Seems like everything is normal from the investigation." Cheon Soo talked to her while they walking back to ER.
"But the clinical findings does not correlate with that. Drug test?"
" we still waiting for that...are you okay? Your neck?" Cheon Soo touch her neck. Jihyo was a bit shock with the sudden touch.

"its okay. Not hurt at all."
"We had talk about this before but i had to tell you again. Please mind your words with the relatives. I know they a bit rude sometimes but we must maintained our professionalism."
"Yeah. I know about it. It looks like i need to have communication skill therapy again."
"Come on, i'm not nagging at you. Lets have a drink later."
"Not tonight. I'm oncall."
"Later.. Means tomorrow night. Ok?"
Jihyo can't rejected her senior invitation. She had crush on him since the first day she reported duty there.

The next day
"Drug analysis negative for common recreational drugs. Even the genetic study seems to be normal so far."
Jihyo read through the files. She kept it since the case is worth to investigate by herself.
'Is it possible for him to be possesed? Aish..is this kind of thing i had to treat also? No..no..might be something that hide from us.'
"Dr Song? Boss wants to see you," a nurse called her. Jihyo quickly went to the last room at the corner. She knocked on the door which labelled as 'Head Of Department'
"Yes. Come have a sit." Jihyo sit on the chair facing her boss.
"Is it about incident last night?" Jihyo asked him
"You know your mistake right. Its not the first time Dr Song. Is it difficult for you to control your anger?
"
"He started it first. Everyone saw it. He should talk to me nicely."
"When you are panic, you cannot think much and your judgement will be ruined. That's why he acted like that."
"Is it necessary for that? Grab my collar in public?" 
"Dr Song..that's why i called you. We had called the relative. They want to see you. Now."
"What? is there anymore attack from him?"
"Don't worry, Dr Cheon Soo will you."

The meeting between Jihyo,  jongkook and Haha goes well. They ended up apologizing and fogiving each other. Haha also appeared a bit calm compare to last night maybe after seeing his brother improvement in ICU he is getting better. Jihyo also able to hold her mood and listen to them. When the meeting finished, its already end of her shift. 
Jihyo and Cheon Soo went to one of the club near the hospital. They had few drinks before theydecided to call it a day. While walking towards the door, Jongkook greet them
"Dr Song!" Jihyo looks back and see Jongkook. She smiled back.
"Would you have some drinks with us?" Haha offered the seat next to them.
"But Dr Gook had..."
"Its okay Jihyo, you enjoy your time here. I need to go back to hospital." 
"Oh poor thing. We thought to treat both of you." Jongkook sighed
"Next time maybe. Jihyo, i go first."
"Bye," Jihyo then took the seat. They chatted like a long lost friend. Totally forget for what happened last night.
"You are a nice person actually. Sorry for what i said to you last night." Haha kept repeating his sorry.

Jihyo smiled back. Suddenly a familiar music play while they are chatting.
"Oh, i love this song!" Jihyo said to them. She started dance lightly. Both men just laugh at her.
"I know the song writer. He used to be here," Haha looks around to find the person.
"Must be he is here. That's why they played the song." Said Jongkook.
"Omo! You are so lucky. There he is.." Haha pointing to a man who is standing near the bar. Jihyo looks to the direction. 
"Gary..its Gary" shouted Haha while waving his hand. Gary turn when he noticed Haha's voice. He smile and went to them
If only she did not treat Kwangsoo, if only she did not had a fight at ER, if only she didn't go the the club, if only she reject Haha's invitation, if only Gary didn't show himself at that club, she will not meet Gary. And their life is turned upside down after the meeting.

End of flashback