Chapter 4

Apartment: should we stay?

JongKook, Haha and KwangSoo

13th May 2012

KwangSoo tied his shoelace. He is waiting for his senior to come out from the hostel. Today he will follow his senior to patient's house and learn on how to give treatment. As a final student of physiotherapist, he need to prepare himself before entering the job field. He is looking forward for the visit. Few minutes waiting then only Hyun Bin, his senior shows his face.
"Hyung, i will learn from you today," KwangSoo bow to him
"Kwang Soo ya..no need to be so formal. Come, we don't want to be late. Later patient will wait longer."
"Yes hyung!" He hurried his pace following Hyun Bin. soon as they sit inside the van prepared for them, Kwang Soo's phone ringing. he is hesitating to answer but after given permission by Hyun Bin he picked the call.

'Yes hyung?'
'Kwang Soo ah, where are you?'
'Going to my patient's house. Wae hyung?'
'Later dinner with your hyung. We got problem.'
'Is it him again? What he wants this time?'
'The house.. The house, we lost it,"
'What?! How could...does Haha hyung know already?'
'Not yet..i call him after this. Kwang Soo ah, see you tonight.'
They ended the call. Kwang Soo getting annoyed with the news he just got. Since their parents died, his siblings be burdened with debts cause by their father. Loansharks always chase them for money. The only property that left is the house but knowing that they had to release to the bank just make him agitated.

"Why Kwang Soo?" hyun bin who overheard the conversation asked.
" Ani..family issue," Kwang Soo kept silent again.
"I understand if you don't share your problem here but Hyung just want to tell you, when come to work you had to focus. We handling with patient, you must left your problem outside. Arasso?"
"Arasso hyung! Mianhe for earlier.."
After 15minutes travelled, they reached the house. The van left them in front of the house and will bring the other group to other house.
"Kwang Soo ah, you must read about this patient's detail. He is my patient for a year. He is quite fussy so just don't make mistake. Follow what hyung do and ask,."
Kwang Soo nodded his head. He is afraid that he will be chase out from the house. He started to read all the details of the patient.
"Ya..Hyun Bin ssi!" A lady greeted them. Her face is welcoming the guest. Judging from the look, she is tired. Maybe because of taking care of her husband.
"Oh you brought your side kick today?" She turn to Kwang Soo who is bowing to her.
" he will be graduated soon, Mrs Ji. So i need to take care of him." Hyun Bin answered to the lady.
"Kwang Soo.." He introduced himself. She smile to both of them and lead them to the one of bedroom.
"How is he today?" Hyun Bin ask while he open the bag that keep all of their things.
"His mood labile. He talks nonsense most of time. Last night he did the screaming things again. His nightmare totally give him off. So in the day, he became tired and refused to walk and exercise. You see..just sat on the wheelchair." Mrs Ji pointed to a man in middle age who sitting on the wheelchair facing the garden.
Kwang Soo read the injury sustained byhim.
'Spinal cord injury level C5-6. No wonder he is paralyzed.'
"Kwang Soo, the first step when you approach a patient, you need to know about the detail of the injury. You can ask his wife for that."
"Sorry Mrs Ji, i'm still new. So, can you tell me how he sustained this injury?"
"2 years ago, he had an accident. Near fatal. He is the one drove the car. The traffic reported that his car drove more than allowed speed before sudden brake. So the impact cause the stress and sheared to his spine."
"Oh..did anyone died?"
"The lady, the one hit by my husband. She died on the spot but in his car there is only two of them. His friend had major injury to his head and coma for few months. But a miracle, he able to wake up but..only open his eyes. His speech slurred and most of time not response." Mrs ji give a long sigh.
"Luckily it was not him," she watched her husband. Her tears started to flow. Kwang Soo knew it went too far.
He give a pat to her shoulder and give a smile. "That's why we're here. We can give hope for both of you."
Kwang Soo then approached the man on the wheelchair. He kneeled at the side and touch his left hand.
"Sukjin hyung...can i call you that?"

******************************************************************************************

"Haha hyung!" Kwang Soo shout at his second brother soon after seeing him entering the restaurant.
"Yah..JongKook hyung! Is it true? What you told me this morning?" Haha poured the drink to his glass while talking to their big brother.
"Yes. The lawyer called me. He can't help. The amount is too big.." All of them sighed. Since 5 years ago, they struggled to pay for the debt. JongKook had to quit his college to facilitate his brothers to further their study. However, Haha been dispelled from college 3years ago as he been abscence for one semester. When JongKook found about it, Haha admitted that he is helping his brother to find money. But seems the debt never settle. As their father make a deal with the loanshark, the interest increasing when they failed to pay.
"So now, how many days given for us? To leave the house?" Kwang Soo asked.
"By three days"
"3 days?!!" Haha and Kwang Soo shout together which make other customer turned to them.
"We need to find new house and pay rent," JongKook told his brothers. As the eldest he had to think of the family future plan. he never planned to start his own family, he forget how to love a woman. The incident 2 years ago cause him to suffer till now. For now, his happiness is his brothers.
"Hyung..take this." Haha gave an envelope to JongKook. He opened it and saw amount of money inside.
"Yah Haha, where you get this?" JongKook looks at the money and count it slowly.
" i lend it from my boss. You know he always help people. Just take it hyung. We find the house first."
"So nice your boss!" Kwang Soo impressed with that man. His hyung had done many jobs since years ago. But with this current boss, he able to stay longer. Because he is a wise guy and always help others.
"You know today, once you called me, he overheard our conversation. Then he offered the help. Again..and then i learned that his wife is pregnant. So that explained why his mood is so elated recently." Haha told them in excitement.
"No wonder. He never had a child before this right? " ask JongKook.
" He got a son before with his previous marriage. He is 8 now i think. yah..that's the job of assistant. You know everything about your boss. Hahaha.."
"He must be really happy now. I wish we can be like him..." KwangSoo mumbling
"Don't worry. Once you graduated, you had stable income. We can be like him." JongKook patted both of his brother's shoulder.
"And i want you to continue your study, Haha." Haha just nodded. They continue their dinner after that.

******************************************************************************************

Hyun Bin ask KwangSoo for replacement today as he had diarrhea since last night. at first he still not confindent to do all the physio things by himself but reminding that he going to graduate soon, now he is in front of Sukjin's house.
During hisfirst visit before, KwangSoo made few mistakes that cause Sukjin irritated the whole day. He accidentally slipped Sukjin's arm and cause the man fell on the ground. He also dipped the foot with cold water instead of warm water that cause Sukjin to scream more.
But today, Kwang Soo learned everything. He is well prepared.
"KwangSoo ssi..mianhe. I had to get out early today. So you will be alone with him. Is it okay?" Mrs Ji apologized once he entered the house.
"I..try..my best."
"If anything, just give me a call. I'll be back," mrs Ji gave him the phone number.
So now he is facing the annoying middle age man on the wheelchair who watching the television. He walk slowly to him and pulled the wheelchair to the garden.
"Yah..let me watch it! Why you...haishh!"Sukjin getting angrywhen his request is been ignored.
"Hyung..come. You need to get up. Yesterday, i can see your legs getting stronger. You don't need this anymore." KwangSoo pointed to the wheelchair.
"Leave me alone.." He pushed Kwang Soo's hand away.
"Fine. You want to watch TV right?"
"What are you doing?!" KwangSoo move Sukjin's body from the wheelchair and placed it on the ground. He then left him alone after pushed the wheelchair inside.
"Now you can go and watch it."
"Hey..come back here. Hey you! Hey! Haishh..." Sukjin struggled to get up from the ground. He is gripping the bar of the fence to stabilized himself. He is cursing inside. Slowly he able to get up but his legs still shaking. He can feel the grass below his feet.
"Hyung, the movie is going to finish soon. You better fast," KwangSoo provoked him from inside. He is sitting on the couch watching television.
"This man..he going to get it from me!" Sukjin stepped slowly still gripping the bar along the way.
While KwangSoo is watching that man walking, his phone ringing. Its JongKook hyung.
"Yes hyung?"
"Kwang Soo ah, they locked the house!"
"Wae?! Its supposed to be three day warning. Where are you now?"
" i just finished my night shift went to go home straight but the house locked,"
"Hyung, come meet me. I give you the address,"KwangSoo ended the call after. He turned back to the garden but Sukjin is no where to be seen.
"Hyung..Sukjin Hyung!" He ran to the garden. Suddenly the sliding door behind him closed. He turned back. Sukjin smiled to him. He already able to get inside. Now he locked KwangSoo in the garden. KwangSoo stared at him in shock. But at the same time, he grinned back to Sukjin. Sukjin can walk without his support.
"Hyung! You are standing now. Hyung! Keep it, walk..walk.." He screamed from outside. Sukjin looks at both his legs. No more shaking. It is stable now. He released the grip from the rail of the door slowly but then he fall after few minutes.
KwangSoo found another door to enter the house. He approached Sukjin and helped him to get up.
"Its okay..its okay..you can hold my arm. Enough for today. We go light after this." Kwang Soo comforted him back as he learn from HyunBin day before.
He put Sukjin on the couch. He bring the warm water to dipped both his leg and at the same time he set a machine to stimulate the sensation over the legs surface.
They kept silent. Sukjin just watched him doing all this thing. He used to that for a year. Just about he want to rest back, a phone ringing by his side. He looks at the phone. Its KwangSoo's but he too focused at his work that he can't hear the ring.
"Your phone ringing.." Sukjin told him. KwangSoo just ignored it. He continue his work and occasionally scribbled something on a notebook.
Few seconds later, the doorbellringing.
"Can you help me?" Sukjin pointed to the main door. Kwang Soo walked to the door.
"Ah hyung..sorry, i still with my patient now. Can you wait for a while?"
"KwangSoo ssi! Help me.." Suddenly Sukjin shout from inside. KwangSoo ran towards him, JongKook who just reached also follow him inside.
"Why my foot bleed?" Sukjin pointed to his left foot. KwangSoo then examined the foot and noted a wound. Maybe he sustained it during the fall just now. Due to spine injury, Sukjin lost the pain sensation so it is difficult for him to detect a wound or cut. JongKook help him to apply the bandage and plaster. He then rested the foot on the chair.
"Thank you" Sukjin told both of them. He looks at JongKook. "Who are you?"
"Mianhe..i'm JongKook. His brother.."
"Mianhe Sukjin hyung..we got a problem. I need to discuss with him. May need a minute," KwangSoo then dragged his brother to the corner.
"Haha is looking for his boss. He is in the middle of the meeting."
"Where are we going to sleep tonight?"
"All of our things only can be taken tomorrow. I ask them already." They still discussing in low tone but still can be heard by Sukjin.
"Are you looking for a house?" Suddenly Sukjin voice out. Both KwangSoo and JongKook looks at each other.
" there is an apartment. I used to live there before the accident. I don't think it had a vacant now. But it is quite nice with affordable rental price. Do you want it?"
Kwang Soo move to Sukjin. He sat beside him. "Really hyung? Where is the apartment?."
Sukjin gave a smile. He nodded. 'Try your best there little man..'