Chapter 14

Apartment: should we stay?

20th May 2014

"Its the fourth one?!" Hyorin ask her loud. Jihyo is telling her that the maid that assigned to look after Chun Ae was kept changing as they will quit after maximum 4 days. 
"i don't know what happened but i don't think my son is difficult to care for. First maid said Chun Ae is quite active and he can cause a big mess to the living room in a minute. Second maid said he always cry in the night and really difficult to comfort him to sleep. Third maid is the weird one, she said Chun Ae always chuckled alone. That is so unacceptable reason." Jihyo explained to her.
"How about the new one?" 
"Actually i met mrs Hwang this morning.."

Flasback
Jihyo was rushing to hospital. She decided to bring her son to hospital today as her maid not turn up to her house after an hour. She is having difficulty to enter the elevator as she is carrying Chun Ae that is when the couple Hwang noticed her.
"Oh Jihyo! Where are you going?" Ask mr hwang. He already helped her to carry her things.
"Mr Hwang, i'm going to work now. My maid didn't come today so i have to bring him together. I don't know how to handle him this morning." Jihyo looks at her son in his carrier.
"Jihyo ah, if you don't mind. I can help you look after him. It will be difficult for you to bring him to the
hospital. Beside, i had taken care him before." Mrs Hwang patted at both jihyo and cHun Ae. Jihyo watches cHun Ae who looks comfortable to the lady. She just nodded and give Chun Ae to her.
"Sorry if he disturbing you. I..i don't know..how can  i thank both of you.." Jihyo bowed to them.

"Its okay dear. We are like his grandparents." Mrs Hwang replied.
Jihyo then had to excuse herself as she was rushing to hospital, furthermore she don't want the couple to ask further about Gary.

"So finally you allow her to look after your son? I thought you hesitating about her because of seizure accident that time?" Ask Hyorin
"Its not like that. I just mad at Gary and i don't want to give burden to elderly."
" where is he now? " Hyorin looks into her eyes. Its been 2 weeks Gary left the house but Jihyo never tell her anything about that.
"Somewhere..maybe in Seoul or maybe not.." Jihyo answers in her low tone, near mumbled. After 2 weeks leaving the house, Gary did not text nor call her. She also had no idea where he is. Last week she drove aimlessly as she wants to take some fresh air with her son. They ended up in front of his studio. But no sign of him there. Same goes to Gary's mother who claim not seeing her son for quite some time.
"Why don't call him? Its not wrong either. He just wait for you for the answer."
"Seeing him just leave like that, my hope for him reducing.." Jihyo stares towards the window.
******************************************************************************************
Jihyo just finished showering when she heard the door bell. She quickly put on her clothes and rushed to the door.
"Oh, Min Jung oppa! Are you alone?" Jihyo was looking behind him.
"Is it true? What i heard?" Jihyo gave her blank look.
"Gary left?" Min Jung already took his seat on the couch.
"Its been 2 weeks. Did Yoori tell you that?" Ask Jihyo.
Min Jung nodded his head. His eyes still looking to Jihyo.
"Jihyo, listen here. I don't want your marriage to be like my sister. I know its my fault. I failed to control her. Cause me to lose my own sister." Jihyo frowned hearing it.
"Yoori..she is the one who influence Gary." Min Jung told Jihyo for what happened that night.
" I can't believe that Yoori will tell him that. Why must she interfere with my marriage? But oppa, if Gary really loves me, he should trust me right? Why must he believe to whatever he heard before he ask me?" 
"I understand his feeling. He is insecure with your position plus your relationship is not that confirmed. That explained why he act like that. For Yoori, i will take care of her. Its not the first time she will ruined other people's relationship."
"Then you asking me to give him another chance?"
"Divorce is pain especially when you had a child. Sometimes a marriage is not about love but responsible. I can see he had both."
Jihyo calmed herself for a while as they watched Chun Ae playing by himself on the mattress.
"A child is a blessing of a marriage. It is different when you cannot have one," Min Jung said to her. His face full of regret. Married for 9 years with no child was really a difficult obstacle in his marriage.
"Pa.." Suddenly Chun Ae uttered a word. Both Jihyo and Min Jung were shocked. 
"Chun Ae ah, what you said just now? You said 'Pa'? 'Pa'? Said it again, omma want to hear that,"
Jihyo just about to give up when Chun Ae just continue to play by himself but then he said it again, "Pa.."
"Oh my god! Oppa, can you hear that?" Jihyo excitedly ask Min Jung who smiling at both of them.
"Your son is so smart. Even he can give you the hint,"
Jihyo smile at her son while caressing his hair. "You miss Appa is it?"
"Jihyo ah, i had to go now. But remember what i told you just now. If you want to save your marriage, keep your distance with Yoori. Also..do you mind if come here often? For Chun Ae?" Ask Min jung politely.
"Sure oppa. Whatever happen you will always be his favourite uncle." 
Min Jung then stepped out from the house when he heard a familiar voice behind
"That was so nice of you, oppa..".
He turned to look for familiar voice but no one there. "Eugene?"
******************************************************************************************
22nd May 2014
Gary peeks from his car window. After ensure that Jihyo had left to work, he rushed to the apartment.
"Gary ssi..you are early today," said Mrs Hwang. She already give Chun Ae to Gary's arm.
"Did she notice anything?" ask Gary while adjusting the carrier on his back.
"No, she just ask me why i put the amulet on Chun Ae. Luckily, she didn't ask much on that. I told her what you want me to tell her that day,"
"I'm not sure if this thing working or not. I got it from my elder. It took a long journey for me to reach there."
"Oh, so you are travel outside Seoul last week? She is looking for you since last week. She looks like missing you already, no need to wait you must approach her. 2 weeks is long enough."
"Really? Er..i'm still not sure about that. I'm afraid she still mad at me. That's why i have to sneakily took Chun Ae when she is not around. Thanks for informing me." Actually on the night Gary leave the house, he ask The Hwang couple to had their eyes at his family. When Jihyo looking for maid, he send his staff to the house to act on babysit Chun Ae. So it will be easier for Gary to come to the house. It was then his three staff reported about a uncomfortable story while babysit Chun Ae which made Gary reminds to Haha and Jongkook's story. It was planned earlier for Mrs Hwang to offer to babysit Chun Ae as Gary will take him once Jihyo left for work.
"Okay, i don't want to spend your time with your son. Just remember, she will be back in 5days. She will text me details of her return flight tomorrow. Just make sure you come before the time, or else.."
"Arasso Mrs Hwang! Thanks for reminding. Tell me when is the time. Thank you.." Gary then bowed to Mrs Hwang before went to their apartment to pick up few things. He is planning for a mini vacation with his son while Jihyo going to Singapore for a conference.
******************************************************************************************

Haha is waiting on the bench of the hospital. Kwangsoo is discharging home today. The siblings decided to move out from Seoul after this. He was looking on the phone when he heard someone calling him.
"Ahjussi..." The familiar voice calling him from the corner of the hallway. He looks towards the direction.
"Hee Young? Yah..Hee Young!" Haha rushed to him. Hee Young put his finger on his lip as sign to keep silent.
"What are you doing here?" Haha had to whisper to him.
"I'm visiting someone here. The one who appa always visit."
"What?! Your appa doesn't know about it? Who is it?
"i will tell you. But promise me, you won't tell anyone about this." Haha nodded his head. In a second, Hee Young pulled him to follow his direction.
"You know you are restricted from being here right?" Ask Haha.
"That's why i ask you to keep quiet. It is a spy thing. I'm used to this place. Hurry up, he is waiting for me." Both of them had to pass through a backyard of the building before they reach to an old building. They went to one of the room. There is a man standing back facing them. He is watching through a broken window.
"Appa!" Hee Young shouts to the man. He runs to him after release his hand from Haha. Haha who is standing at the door stunned when seeing the man's face. It reminds to one of his nightmare before.
"Who is he?" Ask Haha. The man looks at Hee Young who is in his arm now as a signal to introduce them.
"Ahjussi..this is my appa. My real appa. Appa..this Haha ahjussi. He is the one who being fired by Seon Ju appa."
"I'm Haha." "I'm Jin Soo" both of them shake hand and bowed.
"Thanks for taking care of my Hee Young when you work with Seon Ju. He always talk about you. It seem that you are nice person but i don't know why Seon Ju fired you."
"It was a misunderstanding. He afraid of threatening from my brother. But..are you really his father? And why are you here?"
"It was a long story. About 11 years ago..

Flashback
Jin Soo is packing his things from the office. After being console by Eugene, he decided to leave States. It was middle of the night when all the workers left home. Suddenly, Yoori came towards his door.
"Are you thinking you can live happily now?" Jin Soo was startled to hear that voice. Eventhough it was Min Jung company but Yoori is the one who controlled everything. He knows Yoori is trying to remove his name from the board and to have all the family's share by herself.
"Yoori ah, you can have all my shares just let me be happy with my family."

"Do you think Min Jung will disregard his sister? He even use his money to take you back for his sister! I warned you earlier just follow my order but now you are leaving? Why you people always listening to her?"
"She is my wife. And i have a family to take care of. I don't want to cheat on Min Jung just to get rich by my own. I'm happy with my life now."
"Are you sure? Do you remember any contract you signed before joining the company? Are you happy with that kind of life?"
Jin Soo frowned tried to remember any contract be signed before. He had one personal contract with Min Jung in which he signed after reconcile with Eugene.
"It stated that your salary and all the shares will be under Eugene's name. You have nothing..nothing. You are just a slave back then. I wonder what Min Jung will said when i told him about the money.."
"Which money? I don't take any money with me. I'm clean. You..you are the one who behind all this!"
"Jin Soo...how you want to explain that big amount in Eugene's account?" Yoori smirked at him. Jin Soo held his fist tightly. He knew he already fall in her trap. He should not agree to Yoori's offer before to be one of the 'dummy' member of the board. The plan is to get 50-50 share between them but as she noticed that Jin Soo will revealing soon to Min Jung about their plan, she accused him instead.
"How could you?! Why you always envy at Eugene? We are family after all!" He already stood up and throw the paper Yoori gave to him earlier.

"Its not my fault either. You are the one who choose to be with her. Money can buy your happiness it seem. Even that child, you tell me you unsure whether is yours or not." Yoori laughed to her statement. She really had an evil look all the time.
" You are such a bi**h!" 
"Alright, i know most of people will said that at the edge of their loss. By the way, i already give a copy of this bank statement on Min Jung's
table. Hope you reach Korea safely..Good Night!" She then left the room. Jin Soo breathed heavily. He felt that his pride being played around by Eugene's family. He tried to diminish all the pain memories that he had when he left Eugene at first place. Caught your own wife on bed with another guy is the most painful memory. Then the offer from Min Jung, birth of his son and now accusing him for his company's fraud.
"Why i must i suffered with all of this? Why you make me like this? What wrong i had done to you, Eugene?"

End of flashback

"So you are here for the fraud?" Ask Haha.
"It is not nice for me to tell you what happened next in front of my son. To tell you truth, i was under Forensic unit here. Being arrested for the accusation of what i had done to my wife but instead my lawyer able to prove that i was under mental illness all the while. So i ended up here, finishing my remaining life with my painful memory. I had to give Hee Young to Seon Ju as i'm afraid his safety with my brother in law."
Suddenly a siren was rang, few police officer ran towards their location. all three of them was panic. Three attendant who is helping Jin Soo all this time, ran towards the door and give signal to Jin Soo to stop the meeting.
"Haha bring Hee Young with you. Run! Don't let them caught you. Palli! " He hold the door behind him so Haha can escape to the opposite side.
"Appa! Appa!" Hee Young screamed to him.
"Hee Young ah, Appa loves you..always. We might not see each other after this. Listen to Seon Ju appa. Be a good boy."
"Palli! run! They will caught us later.." Haha pulled Hee Young who is crying cannot bear to leave his father behind.
******************************************************************************************
25th May 2014
Gil walks to upstairs of their studio. Accidentally, he stepped on a toy car.
"Ouch! Kang Gary.." Gil's screamed in pain. His voice awakened Gary who is sleeping holding Chun Ae.
"Ah hyung..mianhe! Shuu..he just sleep." Gary pointed to his son. He slowly put him on the bed before walks to Gil.
"Since when i turn our studio into nursing cente? Yah..you should go back."
"We just reached here. It was tiring day for him and me also. We just take a nap then. Why are you here?"
"I left my notebook here when i saw your car down. By the way, when is your flight? You want me to take you to the airport?"
"Its okay i take care about that. We leaving tonight. Can you please contact our friends in Singapore? I need someone to take us to hotel later. Jihyo might finished her work in afternoon."
"Arasso..arasso. Wah..now you become more romantic. What are in your mind huh?"
" i need her confirmation hyung. What she wants for us. I bet our short separation can give her time to think. I can bear waiting for her anymore. I just accept whatever she says."
"Gary ah,. Just return back safely. Don't kill yourself there." Gil patted his back. He then helped Gary to pack his things.
******************************************************************************************
26th May 2014
Jihyo lie on her bed. The conference ended today and she had one more day to sightseeing around Singapore with her collegue. Meeting with new friends from all the world give her opportunity to enjoy her freedom for a while. She also looks forward for tomorrow as she will be able to spend time with Chun Ae.
"Wait for omma. one more day..one more day. I miss you.." Said Jihyo while looking at her phone screen. While she busy scrolling her phone, the doorbell ring. 
"Omo! Who is coming at this hour? Aish..i just want my precious sleep." She walks slowly to the door.
She peeks from the door hole.
"Chun Ae?" She rubbed her eyes few times and look again. Chun Ae face was too near with the door. She opened the door quickly. Her eyes widened and agape in shocked seeing the person in front of him.
"Jihyo ah..." Gary's voice was soft. He hold Chun Ae in his arm. Jihyo can see clearly his tears flowing on his cheek.
"Gary..what..what..are you doing here?" She still stood at the door. Looking at his face cause her to break into tears also.
"I miss you. I know now, i can't live without you and our son." Said Gary. Their eyes met. Chun Ae was clinging to his father all the time. Seems like he forgot about his mother's presence.
"Come in. You must be tired." Jihyo smiled in her heart. She felt happy and relieved now. All of her sadness had been wiped from her heart when seeing Gary in the room.
"I don't know i will get such a surprise in the middle of the night. When are you arrive?"
"Love can make you crazy sometimes. I just bought our flight ticket yesterday. Last night we fly and now we are here. For you.."Gary already put Chun Ae on the bed. He move to sit on the couch.
"Where have you been all this while?" Jihyo ask while watching her son.
"i was always around you. You never know right? I cannot left my eyes and ears from both of you. I want to tell you something.."
"What is it?" Jihyo turned to him. She is anticipating on whatever he wants to tell her.
Gary tells her about all of his plan on babysitting, how he able to observe Jihyo from far and their mini vacation when jihyo left.
"Kang Gary..how could you?! I am crying and worrying about you but you are enjoying yourself. Oh..oh how stupid am i."she covered her face with her hands. Feeling embarassed with her action.
"Jihyo..Jihyo..listen here. No. You are not stupid. It is a good thing..for us. Now i know your feeling to me." Gary already sit next to her on the bed. He hugged her shoulder and calmed her down.
Jihyo slowly move her hands to her lap. She looks into his eyes. She can see the honesty in there. Slowly she formed a smile.
"Is it obvious? I try to hold it for weeks.." Jihyo's eyes dropped to the floor.
"Its okay. You are my wife after all. You can just tell me.. or show it." Gary lift her chin so she can face him directly. He smile looking at her blushing face. Then only he noticed a ring on her finger.
"Since when?" He pointed to the ring.
"Ah..this. I decide to wear it the day you left us. And it stucked now here." Jihyo plays with her finger. The awkardness was felt in her.
"Jihyo ah. Mianhe..i should not leave you. I should trust you as much as i love you. We should have our real family now. What do you think?" Gary caressed her left cheek. He lifted her face against him. Their face getting closer. Jihyo smile happily as she knows what will happen next. Just about their lips to touch each other..
"Pa..Pa.." Chun Ae utters word while crawling to Gary's side.
"Oh..you had your rival now. Chun Ae ah..come here. Aish.." Gary carries Chun Ae and walks towards the window. His face was blushed same goes to Jihyo. They look at each other and laugh awkardly then.
"Just sleep here tonight. Tomorrow we still have time. Go and clean yourself." Said Jihyo who take over Chun Ae from Gary. Gary grinned happily. Its worth to fly here.
******************************************************************************************
The next day, they arrived home happily. Gary dropped Jihyo and Chun Ae to their apartment while he goes to his studio to take few of his belongings there. Jihyo is moving the baby cot to the second room. She arranged the things in both of the room nicely.
"Chun Ae ah, today be a good boy. Arasso? You will start to sleep in your own room now.." She talks to her son while arranging the things. She smile when thinking of her surprise to Gary tonight. A doorbell stunned her for a while. She rushes to the door.
"Song Jihyo! You think you can run from me?" Yoori pushed her soon after she opened the door.
"Why? What is it?" Jihyo was fall on the floor. Yoori grabbed her collar and pushed her to the couch. She hit on her back. she screamed in pain.
"What are you doing with my husband here? You think you can take whatever is mine?!"
"stop! Yoori ah, i'm not doing anything with him. He just pay me a visit. And you..you are the one i am looking for. How much marriage you want to break to ease your life?" Jihyo now stood up facing her.
"Don't be such an angel now. I know how bad you are before. A lonely so called married woman, lost freedom after delivered her unwanted son! And now you are using your son to get attention from my husband!"
"I don't know you will be this bad. Pathetic woman!" Jihyo replied to her. As Yoori wants to reach for Jihyo's collar, she choked. A powerful invicible hand is gripping her neck tightly. She tried to escape from the grip. Her eyes widened when she saw a familiar figure near her face. The face is full of anger and revenge. Jihyo who seeing the choking Yoori became panic. She moves forward to help her.
"Let me go! Why are you here?" Yoori's face started to sweat and became pale. Her voice is shaking.
"i always wait for this time. You owe me a life!" Eugene's voice was heard echoing.
"Please..let ..me ..go.." Yoori was about to collapse. 
"Yoori! Stay..stay with me. Hold on there!" Jihyo was panic as she did not see anyone in front of Yoori. She starts to cry in fear. Chun Ae approaching slowly towards his mother. "Ma.."He leaned at Jihyo's back.
Eugene turns to the voice. She release the grip slowly. Her face changes. She did not want to show her anger face to him. she disappered then. Yoori was breathing fast tried to catch the air, she grabbed her handbag then.
"Are you okay?" Ask Jihyo 
"Do you think i'm okay now? Look, we have not settle yet..i will look for you again next time." Her eyes then stopped at Chun Ae.
"Your son..is jinx!" 
Pang! Soon after Yoori said her words, a slap reach on her cheek. It was hard enough to be heard by Jihyo.
"I never lay my hand over a woman. Don't you ever said that to my son!" Gary stood up in front of her. His face was calm yet he is holding his anger inside. He arrived to their apartment when seeing Jihyo is concerning on Yoori's condition. Upon hearing about her accusation towards his son, he cannot control his anger anymore.
"You will pay for this!" Yoori then left the house. Gary released a long sigh. He looks at Jihyo who is trembling behind him.
"What happened? Did she do anything to you?" He hugs Jihyo to calm her. 
"Don't leave us again. Its hurt.." She cries on his chest. Gary caressed her back as a comfort.

 

Footnote: actually i was ran out of idea. This chapter mainly to picture about Yoori and still framing about th ending. it will be reunion of all the characters. Yes..Eugene is attached to children. The next chapter mainly about the confrontation between Eugene and this couple. And do you guys realized there is coincindence between Eugene's life and all the tenant's history?