Chapter 3

Apartment: should we stay?

8th May 2010

Sukjin look around the restaurant. He supposed to had lunch with Jaesuk today. He don't know why Jaesuk want to meet outside instead of going to his apartment. Some more the restaurant quite far from his house.
Jaesuk wave his hand and point to the empty seat in front of him as he saw Sukjin entering the restaurant. He need to tell Sukjin about the 'creepy warning' that night.
"Sukjin ah, how are you?" Jaesuk start the conversation once they ordered the food.
"Yah, why too formal suddenly? Is anything bothering you?"
" i don't know how to tell you...but i think i need to tell you..."
"What is it?"
"I saw something at your apartment that night. A lady..she..she..threatened me!" Jaesuk felt like he had blow all of his nervousness outside.
"You mean it is haunted? Don't bluff me. I already been there almost 4months. I never see anything. by the way, isn't you drunk also that night? How can i believe you?" Sukjin just laugh to the story.
"You had to believe me. That lady ask me to leave you if not he will make my life worse.."jaesuk continue to tell the whole story.
"Who is she?"
"How should i know? She is a ghost!"
"Are you sure it is a ghost?" Luckily they sat far from the other people so people might not suspected anything about the talk.
" i saw the legs..it is not touching. She had the power to stiff my body and..and..she strangled my neck," Jaesuk pointed to the scar. It still visible.
"But apart from you..no one ever come to my house..." Suddenly Sukjin realized something. "Eugene?" He mumbled the name but Jaesuk still can hear it. eugene does not come to his house for quite sometime recently.
"Is she really a human? Is she exists?" Jaesuk ask him
" no...no..it can be her. Actually since the day we had a fight, she left. Now she is missing. I never see her now. It can't be her!"
"But seem this lady know you! It must be her!"
"I said no! She is a kind and soft woman. you better watch out your mouth when you talk about her," Sukjin warned his friend. He don't want Jaesuk had a bad impression towards her before seeing the woman.
"Ok..like this. Do you have her picture? Maybe i can confirmed it.." Sukjin search through his mobile phone but once he click over the 'Gallery', the icon will disappear. When he tried over and over again, his phone switch off.
"Haishh..why must it switched off this time," Sukjin totally annoyed with his phone.
"Sukjin ah, i think you better move out.i will find another house for you? Arasso?" Jaesuk gave an idea.
" Let me find her first.. Its not the time yet," sukjin still hesitated to move out. He need to find the truth.

******************************************************************************************

9th May 2010, 12.03am
Sukjin entered the elevator. As he had long lunch we Jeasuk today, he had to work extra hour in his office. So now only he reached home. He pressed the button 12 and wait until he reached the level.
Suddenly he felt like a cold hand grip his empty hand. He startled and look back. No one is there and no more cold hand grip him. It reminds him the conversation with Jaesuk during the lunchtime.
When the elevator open at level 12, he quickly walk to his door and enter his apartment. He panted heavily from the walk. Sukjin felt uneasy. He switched on all the light as he believe the entity will gone with light.
He decided not to sleep tonight. He wants to tidy up his house to buy time and try to find the truth about Eugene.

Since he decided to get divorce with his wife, he already put all his things around the house as he know he will be permanently live here. But today, he seems hesitated on it. Is it true on what Jaesuk told him? Is it safe for him to continue live here?

It is already 2am, he is moving and arranging his things in the second room. While he looking for a box, he found a diary behind the cupboard. He take the diary and read it.

'Omo! This is Eugene's diary..how come it is here?' Sukjin read Eugene's name in front of the diary. He became interested to read. He never know Eugene's background before.
There is few pages earlier that been torn or can't read the handwritting. Until sukjin come to one intact page.

Betrayal Friend

I cry. I cry. But one seems to hear it. My lungs are filling with tears. My heart can't beat as usual. How was my life ended like this. I love him. But why he treated me like this. Why he 'sold' me? Why he 'sold' our marriage? Is money and wealth became so important now?
I still remember that night. His friend came to our house. My husband was not there. I remember him.. Seon Ju. He is my husband best buddy. Seon Ju told me the secret about my husband. He had lot of debts. He not doing well in his business. All of this time, he pretended to go out for work. Seon Ju is the one who gave him the loan. But he don't mind as long as my husband care to pay for it.
And thats when he ask to pay. But not with money. Seon Ju wants me. He wants my body to pay for it. He shows me the agreement between he and my husband. I cried once i read it. I refused as i still can't believe my husband will do it.
my refusal just make Seon Ju became more wild. He me that night! He told me he will come again and if i still refused to him, he will take charges on my husband.
Night after night, my life become more miserable. My husband not sleep at home most of the night. when he was not there, i become frightened. I know there will be another visitor and i had to 'serve' him. I love my husband but is it the right way to appreciate it? Our relationship drifted apart. We don't talk just passing each other.
Until one night, Seon Ju come to our house. He is drunk. He pushed me to the bedroom. When he make out with me, someone pushed the front door. Seon Ju gasped and told me to chase that person. As i entered the living room, my husband was there. Seeing me in that state just gave him the anger. He hit me. Accused me for betrayal and ruin our marriage. he left me that night.
Tonight, i cry with all my heart. My soul was left somewhere. I can't take it back. The agreement..is not valid. Seon Ju make it up. To snatch me from my husband. he succeed. Without my husband knew about his friend is the culprit behind this. They continue seeing each other. Me being no place in my husband's anymore.
And i was at the edge of the building. I can see the whole city. I can see the road down there. I give up. I can't be a good wife. I just about to release my body to the road when a pair of arms grab me from behind..

Sukjin was about to continue the reading but the pages lost..again. Then only..
"Oppa..." Sukjin turn his head. Eugene stood at the door. He was in shock. Eugene is crying.
"Are you okay? How you come in here?" Sukjin ask him
" Oppa..." Eugene hug Sukjin. He is startled. Don't know how to react. "You know about it?" Eugene now facing him
"This..is..really..yours?" Sukjin ask slowly. Eugene nodded. There is tears run from both of her eyes.
"Why you never told me this story? Where is he now? Your husband?" Sukjin pulled her to the chair. He really interested to know about the rest of the story. Now he totally forgot about the his query since this afternoon.
"He left me... i can't see him now. i felt wronged for him."
"But you should tell him the truth! He should know about his friend,"
"Its already late oppa.. he had new life now." She continue to cry. Sukjin hold her shoulder to give her the comfort.
"This is used to be our house. i lied to you. I'm not living here anymore," eugene eyes the whole room. The memory inside this house might be too deep for her.
"At least i know the truth.. I will help you. I promise." Sukjin raised his hand make a vow.
"Its okay oppa. I had you by my side now," she gave a smile. The smile that chanted him. He missed her now. He missed their relationship.
"Eugene..i'm sorry. About that night..i should not.." Sukjin stopped as Eugene put her finger onto his lip.
"Just let it go. I forgive you oppa.."
They continue talked in the living room. Catched back all the good time. Sukjin totally forgot whatever conversation he had with Jaesuk earlier. He is in his own world. Little he know that he is detaching from the reality.

******************************************************************************************

Jaesuk entered the apartment. he is looking for his friend who been told by his collegue that he been abscense from work about a week. Although he promised himself for not coming to this house, he had to save his friend.
His eyes catches the messy living room. Clothes are everywhere. Boxes scattered in between. He move forward until he stepped on a photo. It is polaroid film. He took it.
'My eugene' written at the back of the photo. Jaesuk take a look on it. but he cannot see anyone in that picture. Only a background of the couch. He looks closely suddenly a lady's image move closer to his face from inside the picture.
"Yah!!!!" Jaesuk throw the picture. He panted heavily.
" what's wrong with you?" Suddenly Sukjin appeared from his bedroom.
" we had to leave now!" Jaesuk push Sukjin to the door.
"Aishh! I told you.. She is not the ghost. She is here!" Sukjin released himself from jaesuk.
"Where is she?" Jaesuk ask, his eyes moving all over the house.
"There...at your back," Sukjin pointed to the direction. Jaesuk turn slowly. Nobody is there.
"Is she still....here?" Jaesuk's heart beat fast.
"Yes. Why are you like this? Can you give her some respect at least?" Sukjin answered in annoyed tone.
Jaesuk turn himself facing Sukjin "i can't see her..i can't see anyone else except you now.." Jaesuk trembling in words.
"Wae?" Sukjin looks at Jaesuk back. Eugene stood there but now her face change. She stared at him. Her eyes red. Her face pale than usual. There is blood coming from her head.
"Sukjin ah...Sukjin ah...why you like this? Answer me.." Jaesuk shake Sukjin's body as he saw him stood still.
"You are right..." Sukjin answered him slowly. He pulled Jaesuk's hand to the door. But before they able to reach the door. A hand grabbed his feet from move.
"Argh!" Sukjin yelled as he saw Eugene's hands grabbed the feet. She cried with bloody tears.
"Don't leave me..you promise me..you will help me..."
"Sorry Eugene..i thought..you..are..not..argghh..i can't do this! Please let me go..." Sukjin tried to release himself. Jaesuk is pulling his hand towards the door.
"Oppa..please stay with me..." Eugene still begging for him. This time Jaesuk pulled harder and Sukjin released from the grip. They left the house and ran away. Sukjin did not turn back as he afraid she might pulled him back.
"OPPA!!!!" A scream can be heard along the hallway which made their pace more fast.

Jaesuk's hand still trembling while he tried to started the engine. Sukjin kept looking at the back worried Eugene will follow them.
"Jaesuk! What you're doing? Palli ah!!!"
"My hand...my hand..i cant grip it"
"Come let me!" The changed seat. In a second the engine started. Sukjin drive as fast as he could. Suddenly she saw a lady across the road. He pushed on the brake.
"Arggghhhhh!!!!" Both of them screamed.