Chapter 13

Apartment: should we stay?

30th April 2014

It is the day. Jihyo and Gary both are busy in the kitchen preparing for the party. This is the first party that they really look forward. Seem like a first party for them to reveal their family. After having a good chat with her family yesterday, Jihyo really in good mood today which delighted Gary. It was 6pm when the guests started to come.
"Jihyo ah, get ready first. I'll handle the food." 
"Are you sure?" It like spontaneously Jihyo landed her hand on his back. Gary stunned a bit.
"Err..yes. Just get a nice dress for you. You must look good tonight. Groom my prince as well," Gary winked at Jihyo who laugh then.
After a while, most of the guest already arrived. The hospital team came lead by Hyorin and Cheon Soo. Gary bow to them and took a bottle of wine given along. Jihyo came out from the room carrying Chun Ae when he heard her friends having a good chat with Gary.
"Oh yes. That song....it kept replay in my mind everytime i went to the park. I don't realized i love most of your song." Hyorin kept praising Gary. He already grinned happily.
"There is a new single i heard from one of the idol. Is that your song?" Cheon Soo ask.
"Which one?" Ask Gary.
"Oh ya..its in the chart now. If i'm not mistaken its called..'The love of my life'" added Hyorin.
"Ya..ya..that its the latest release. Initially i just want to keep the song but that idol need a new song for his new single."
"Seems like it is a special song.." Hyorin smirked at him.
"Always. For her.." Gary turned to Jihyo who already stood by his side. He took Chun Ae with him and let Jihyo with her friends.
"So sweet! How i wish i can get a husband who compose a song for me everyday. You are so lucky." Hyorin envy Jihyo at that time. Jihyo can't help but to smile widely. Cheon Soo gave a fake smile. Jealously is a word for him.
After a time, Yoori came with Min Jung. As usual, she will ignore Gary and went straight away to Jihyo. She always mingled around the doctors and proudly tell them about her business and wealth.
"Who is that lady?" Gil ask Gary.
"She is one of Jihyo's cousin. This is his husband's house." Gary told him without looking at her.
"Looks like your potential wedding breaker. Watch out for her." Gil remind him. 
"She can't break it, Jihyo had change,"
"Really? What happened?" Gil ask him excitedly.
"Aish.. Nothing serious yet. She will learn," Gary smile to him. Gary's phone rang while he attends to one of his neighbour.
"Hello? Oh..Haha yah!. Where? Okay..okay.." Gary went downstairs after give a signal to Jihyo that he will be outside.
Meanwhile Yoori pulled. Jihyo to one of the corner.
"So..when is it? Have you guys decided?" Ask Yoori.
"Decide what?" Jihyo gave a blank look. 
"Aish..your divorce. Cheon Soo is back now. What are you waiting for?" 
"Err..maybe not. maybe he is the one that i want to be with. Each day, i became comfortable with him. Beside, Chun Ae need him."
"What? Are you crazy? Jihyo..listen to me. I don't know what he had drunk you with his words but i'm afraid you will regret your decision later. Its not easy for you to continue this marriage. How can you live with him? Can you adapt with his style? How about if he turn back to his old life? Club..women..?" Yoori widened her eyes as a warning.
Jihyo bite her lips. She is hesitating for her decision but at the same time she is comfortable and need Gary.
"The marriage is all about a gambling. Either you win or you lost it. I will take the risks," said Jihyo slowly before she left Yoori behind.

Gary reached downstairs. He saw Haha and Jongkook stood in front of the building.
"Why you don't come in? We had a lot of foods there."
"We should not go there. I just realized your address," said Haha. Gary frowned.
"We live there before this. There is something you should know about the apartment." Said Jongkook. He told Gary the whole story.
"So..you are telling me this house is haunted? There is lady ghost in this house?" Gary asked after he heard the whole story.
"Yes. And i believe she still there. The owner call us few days before you move in and ask us to take our things left in that house. Then only my brother Kwangsoo got back his illness. It seems that she will not let him go until she get what she want." Explained Jongkook.
"But what can we do? It means if my family stay here, she will harm us also?" Gary started to feel uneasy. He reminds to few strange things that happened to them before.
"She try to communicate with us. Maybe it will sound harmful to you but we really don't have any idea how it will take." 
"Hyung, who is your wife? I never see her before." Ask Haha. He tried to distract Gary from spoiling his mood during his party.
"Jihyo..its Jihyo. You know her. Remember that night, we met in the club after your brother admitted?" Gary told Haha who is nodding his head tried to remember that exact time.
"You mean Dr Song? Omo! It must be us that you met each other.." Haha put his hand over his mouth. He really shocked hearing that news.
"Yes. I should thanks you guys for that. I'm happy with her now." Gary smile in response.
"Gary ah..i met Kwangsoo yesterday. Now he is in Psychiatry Hospital. He mentioned to me that your wife visited him few days ago. And..he saw that lady, i mean the ghost lady at her back." Jongkook's words cause Gary's face changed. A smile earlier faded. He is scared and worried.
"If Jihyo is your wife and you guys leave here, that's mean..." Haha words stopped at that.
"She is with Jihyo now?" Gary continue as question. He became restless now. He scratches his head at the back.
"Hyung, please be careful. My suggestion, move out from here." Said Haha.

*****************************************************************************************

Gary return to the party. Everyone is having their own good time knowing each other. Gary sneak in between looking for Jihyo when suddenly Yoori approached him.
"So you are happy now?" Ask her with a smirk. Gary looks at her, try to ignore her presence. He can see Jihyo from far who is having a chat with Cheon Soo. Chun Ae is playing with Cheon Soo who is carrying him. Gary felt jealous for a moment. He forgot about what he heard from Haha and. Jongkook just now.
"Oh what a beautiful view there? They made a good pair isn't it?" Yoori shrugged at Gary's shoulder. Gary tried to control his anger. 
"Gary, i told you a secret. They are once a happy and lovely couple. As far as i know Jihyo told me, they dated since medical school. Its been years but he left Seoul for good just before she get married. You see how poor their destiny is? If only Chun Ae is his...but who knows right?" Yoori told Gary while both of them watch Jihyo and Cheon Soo playing with Chun Ae. Chun Ae chuckles happily. Gary clenches his teeth, he hold his fist tight. His anger was boiling his body up. Yoori smile watching Gary's face. Min Jung who happened to stand facing their back can clearly heard the conversation.
"Oh, since you are here, come lets have a toast." Min Jung pulled Gary to front. Gary's eyes still watching Jihyo who smile happily.
"Okay, now we let Gary and Jihyo to toast for their happiness and new life!" Shout Min Jung. All of the guest raised their glass towards Gary.
"I..i would like to thanks everyone for coming. I just hope safety and happiness from all of you," said. Gary in his low tone.
"Thank you..." Jihyo continue his words. Their eyes met for a while before Cheon Soo offered a glass to her.
"No!!!" Suddenly Gary scream aloud. All the guest look at him included Cheon Soo. Jihyo look at him blankly.
"She ..still..feed.." Gary uttered in his words. Everyone sighed and laugh. 
"Its okay Gary, he took juice for me. You see?" Jihyo comforted him while showing him her glass. Gary just nodded his head. He went to Gil and drinks few glass of wine after that.
******************************************************************************************

All of the guests already went back home. Gary is cleaning up the living room while Jihyo putting Chun Ae to sleep. While picking up the glasses from the table, Gary's mind still heard Yoori's words.
"If only Chun Ae is his..but who knows right?" He bite his lower lip looks at the glass which reflects his face.
"Am i the father? Is she lying to me all this while?" He mumbled by himself.
"Who is lying?" Suddenly Jihyo appeared into the kitchen. She already picks few more glasses.
"Ah..no. Nothing.." Gary fake a smile. 
"Gary, thanks. For all this. Thanks for still be with me.." Jihyo hug Gary's left arm. She leaned on his arm. Gary who is having his own conflict in mind move Jihyo's arm from his.
"Jihyo ah..i need to go to my studio tonight. Gil need my help. Call me if anything. i will settle this mess tomorrow. You just have a rest." 
Jihyo was surprised by his reaction but she guess something about his work might bothered him up. So she just let him go.
******************************************************************************************

3rd May 2014
Its been 3 days Gary avoid Jihyo. He will slept at his studio when. Jihyo is around. Gary also called his neighbour, Mrs Hwang to look after his son without Jihyo's notice. He still believe that Chun Ae might not be his son. Jihyo also noticed the change in Gary's behaviour. He seem cold to them. But everytime she wants to have a talk, Gary will avoid her.
That night, Jihyo is having her night shift. She is in her office watching her wedding picture in which she found it this morning and decide to put in her office. She remember the conversation with her parents few days ago.
"Jihyo ah, omma never thought he will be so nice. We are wrong to judge you earlier. Now we are happy, he is there for you. To comfort you, to care and love for you when we abandoned you. He is the one for you. Abeoji now can rest after seeing him and your glowing face.."
At the party Jihyo can see how he interact with her friends, he always good in his words which please all of her collegues and the guests. She know that he is perfect from all of the angle. She had made up her mind and she knew what she want now. She looks at her wedding ring. She wears it since this morning and wants to show to Gary but he is nowhere to see. She is planning a surprise for him tomorrow night and looks forward for it.
"Dr Song, your son is here!" Jihyo was startled when her intern opened the door and informed her. 
"Is my husband there?" Ask Jihyo.
"I don't see him.." Jihyo rushed to the resus room. There are 2 interns and 2 nurses attending to his son. Chun Ae looks drowsy and was given oxygen supply through a mask. Jihyo was panic and scared. She almost collapsed seeing his son at that condition.
"Dr Song, one lady brought him in. He is having a seizure for 15minutes until they reach here. He is bit drowsy now." One of the intern present to her.
"Chun Ae..." Jihyo rubbed his son's head. tears already flow on her cheeks. 
"He had fever. High grade. I'm giving antipyrexia for him." 
"I'll do it. Who brought him?" Ask Jihyo.
"Jihyo ah..i'm Mrs Hwang. Your neighbour. I've been taking care of him past few days as your husband ask for my help. I didn't noticed he had fever tonight. I just about to put him to sleep when suddenly he fit." Mrs Hwang told Jihyo slowly. She was scared for Chun Ae. 
"Gary ask you to look after him? Where is he?" Jihyo's voice start to raise. 
"I don't know. Usually he will come back just before you reach home." 
Chun Ae started to cry. He is throwing all the things around him. Jihyo came and lift him into her arm. She looks distressed.
"Never mind Mrs Hwang i will call him later. Its okay i will handle from here. Can somebody call Dr Hyorin to cover me for tonight?" one of the nurse rush to the counter.
"i'm sorry.." Mrs Hwang hold her hand. Jihyo nodded as a forgiveness. She only wants one explaination and that is only from Gary.

******************************************************************************************
1 hour later, Gary appeared at resus room. He saw Jihyo is patting Chun Ae's back. Her eyes swollen due to cry. He felt guilty. He just know about Chun Ae when Mrs Hwang called him. He tried to arrange his words to explained.
"Is he okay?" He asked Jihyo. He went to the opposite side of the bed.
"Is he look okay to you? This is because what you have done!" Jihyo shout at him. All the staffs outside can clearly heard that. Gary just stood still watching Chun Ae.
"If you are tired with us, just let me go.." Jihyo cried in her words. She is giving up after Gary just kept silent and cold.
"Jihyo ah, its not like that. I just having some problems. You don't let me send him to my mum's but at the same time you are busy with your work. I also had work to be done.." 
"So now you are regretting? Gary i just thought we are doing good so far. But if you think he is a burden, just go," Jihyo stiffened her face. Try to hold her tears.
"Jihyo..." Gary hold her hand. Jihyo remove the grip quickly. "Just go!" She shouted. Gary sighed and left the room. He noticed few eyes look at him when he stepped out.

Gary walks slowly at the hallway. He scratches his head. He feel miserable and guilty for what happened to Chun Ae. He don't have a courage to ask Jihyo about what he heard from Yoori. Deep inside his heart, he don't want to believe it but the words kept echoing in his mind. He walk pass through a room. A couple of doctors came out from the room, they adjusted their clothes before went to separate way. Gary read the name of the room, 'Oncall Room'. He smile to the young couple who just passed him. "Naughty.." Said Gary to himself. Then his mind thought of something. "Maybe she had been there before..with him?" He can't help to have that dirty thought of Jihyo. He sit at one of the bench and closed his eyes to forget about that. When he open his eyes, he noticed something in front of him. He read it through interestingly before he approached the lady at the counter.
"Excuse me, may i ask you something?" He ask the lady.
"Yes. What can i help you?"
"How we do the parenting test here?" Ask Gary.

******************************************************************************************
Jihyo entered one of the room in the paediatric ward. To her surprise, Chun Ae is not there. She looks into the toilet but nobody inside.
"Here we are.." Gary's voice made Jihyo turned to him. He carries Chun Ae with him. 
"Where you brought him?" Ask Jihyo. Her voice is straight.
"Oh, we took stroll at the park downstair. His fever is subside today so i thought of give him some fresh air." Gary explained to him. 
"I thought you are busy nowadays. You can go back to your studio." 
"I'm sorry. I should discuss with you about that. I really need time for my work and i can't brought him together. I need focus when i'm doing my music. Please understand my situation.." He explained to Jihyo in his soft voice. Still unable to honestly explained to her the main reason he avoid them.
"I will figure out the best way for us. Hired a maid will be the best choice for now." Said Jihyo. Gary gave a smile. He then excused himself to their house to get few things for Chun Ae.

6th May 2014
"Dr Kim!" Jihyo shout the name of paediatrician that treat his son. Today. Chun Ae will be discharge from the ward.
"Oh Dr Song. I try to find you just now. I thought you are on leave?" Ask Dr Kim
"My husband is taking his leave for today. I pity Hyorin to cover me for few days, it must be tiring for her."
"You must take care of yourself too. Oh by the way, Chun Ae made a good progression thorough his admission. As this is his first seizure attack, i also took some investigation for genetic study and metabolic cause. I think the result should came out now. You know how to look for it right?" 
"Of course. Thanks a lot Dr Kim. I hope it will turn out to be normal." Jihyo then bowed to her. She goes to her office and looks into her desktop. At the same time, she send message to Gary telling him to get ready as Chun Ae can be discharge.
She clicks on Laboratory Investigation icon. After she key in the ID for her son, she clicks on few results. She analyzed all the result. As expected, all the result are normal. She smile felt relieved. But then her eyes caught something in the icon of investigation.
"Paternity Test? Why they ordered this test?" Jihyo print out the result. She read it thoroughly and clearly state the date and time requested. The name of person requested : Kang Gary. She grabbed the paper and run towards the ward.

Meanwhile, Gary is packing Chun Ae's thing. He is going to the lab for a while to fetch the result. After getting ready with their things, he carried Chun Ae towards the door when Jihyo enter. Her eyes widened and full of anger. She took Chun Ae from Gary's arm.
"Move your hand. Move!" Gary slowly took off his hand. He was a bit shock by Jihyo's act.
"Why? You will hurt him," said Gary.
"Its better than hurt his pride." Jihyo give him the paper that printed the result of the test. Gary read out the test, he sweats while reading. He avoid to see both of them in front.
"So now you happy? You think i will lie to you?"
"Its not like that..i just..i just thought he might..he might..aish.." Gary unable to speak. He know he had gone too far. How could he be easily believe in what said by Yoori.
"Congratulations..you are officially a father to Kang Chun Ae." Said Jihyo in her straight face before she left the room with Chun Ae.
"Arghh!!" Gary throw the paper to the floor. "Damn it Yoori!" Said Gary in his anger.

******************************************************************************************
Jihyo lie on her bed. She felt really tired after crying the whole day and looking after Chun Ae. She had find a maid to look after her son tomorrow, she doesn't want Gary to touch and interfere with her son. 
"Since you doubt us, we will leave you soon." She looks at the ring on her side table. She cries after that until she sleep with her tears.
Gary reached his house late that night. He thought of spending night at his studio as he felt guilty for his action. But Gil send him to his house after noticed Gary was drunk in the club. He drinks a lot to relieve his stress and possibility of divorce. He know that he don't put trust in his relationship. He told everything to Gil in which he got smacked at his head for his stupid action. Now he is standing in front of his apartment. Still hesitating to enter. After make up his mind, he slowly open the door. It is dark inside and he know Jihyo is sleeping already. He walks towards her bedroom, he peek at the door. He goes to the baby cot and see Chun Ae sleep calmly. He caressed his cheek," please forgive appa. Appa is not a good father. I should know that you are mine. Forever mine.." He cries without noticing. He slowly turned to Jihyo at the side. Her eyes swollen back, her pillows bit damp due to tears. He wipes the remain tears on her cheek before placed a light kiss on that. 
Gary went to his bedroom and packed few things into his bag. He still conscious enough to hold a pen and scribble something on a sheet of paper.
"Hyung, can you pick me now?" He called Gil before left the house. 

It was the next day when Jihyo waiting for her maid to come she noticed a letter on the dining table. She read through it
My love,
I know i hurt you since the day we met. I try to shower you with my love as i promised but it seem i really can't make a promise. I never fall in love before that is why i'm lacking in provide you that. I can't help to feel insecure all the time when people talk about us, about Chun Ae. Maybe we should have our own space so we can decide on our future for the best of our son. I just want you to know, i never stop loving you because you are my first and last one. -the guilty one, Gary.

Jihyo felt like there is a big lump in while she read the letter. She hold her tears tries not to cry anymore. She watches Chun Ae on his baby chair plays with his food.
"Chun Ae ah, Appa is leaving.." She then cried, she feel lost.