4 “Myungsoo. Kim Myungsoo.”

A Fan Can Wish For A Friend

4

“Myungsoo. Kim Myungsoo.”

We finished our breakfast; we went back to our rooms to get ready. We agreed to meet at the lobby an hour later.

The whole conversation played back in my head, I had a constant battle with myself. I felt like meeting him in Jeju was a big mistake and defeated the whole purpose of my trip. I couldn’t help it; my delusional self was too excited. Maybe, just maybe we could be friend even just for a day. Maybe… just maybe.

I came down to the lobby with my camera on hand, and everything that a tourist needs for a touristy travel. I spotted Myungsoo with his sunglasses on at the entrance. Oh how could he look so handsome even if he was just wearing a plain white v-neck, a blue cardigan and a pair of old jeans? And wait, what happened to the all black Myungsoo?

“Hi!” I greeted him.

“Are you ready?”

“Yes.”

“Let’s go!”

He led me to a car that he rented for the day. And he volunteered to drive for us since I can’t risk both of our lives when I try to touch the steering wheel plus I don’t have a license. Ha!

“So, where do you want to go first? I’m sure there are places that you’d specifically want to visit here in Jeju”, he asked.

“The Teddy Bear Museum. I’ve seen it in once in a drama when I was still in high school. I’ve been wanting to visit it since then.”

“Oh. The museum’s nice, but I think we should just drive around the island. We could pull up whenever we want, and that way we could go to a lot of places in a short period of time.”

“It’s up to you, you’re my tour guide.” I faked a smile.

He didn’t want to go to the museum. Of course. How stupid of me. Even if he didn’t say anything, I knew exactly the reason why. He was trying to avoid destinations that are too crowded; he is an idol after all. People will always notice him and I don’t think he wants that right now.

The rest of the drive was calm and fun. We didn’t talk much. He was awkward, I was awkward. He was shy, I was shy. He would blast these random Korean songs from his iPod and he would sing to some. I would just stare at him and nod along. As if I didn’t know that he was playing his own group’s music. The fangirl inside is already freaking out, never did it cross my mind that I’d have a private Infinite performance in a car, with my bias. Never.

Jeju is indeed very beautiful, even from the car; I could already see how beautiful the scenery is. Sometimes, we would pull up to let Myungsoo have a break from driving, and he would just let me wander and take photos. We’d pull up in beaches near the road, or in the middle of the beautiful fields.

The rest of the hours passed by just like that. Singing, more singing… pulling up… taking photos… and taking more photos… stopping at small stores grabbing some snacks… and more singing.

“I’m sorry if you haven’t really been to the really popular tourist sites today. It’s my bad.”

“Myungsoo, I totally had fun. I think I’ve seen and experienced Jeju more than I imagined because of you. Thank you.”

“To be honest, it’s my first time touring around the island too. I’ve been here a few times, but I never got the chance to explore. I’m sorry; I shouldn’t have volunteered to be your tour guide today.”

I didn’t know how to answer. Why was he terribly sorry when I had so much fun?

“Myungsoo, I had so much fun today. Okay? I wouldn’t trade this day for anything else. Thank you so much.”

There was no reply. Just a smile, that damned smile of him that would make every girl swoon. Coincidence added up? CAN U SMILE played and damn I was trying too hard not to shed tears. That song is my favorite, and I couldn’t even explain why I consider that very special.

I gave him a smile, a thankful smile. He smiled back.

“It’s getting late. I think we should go back.”

We drove back again, and we saw that the sun was starting to set. Myungsoo pulled back, and we got out of the car.

“It’s beautiful. Isn’t it?” said Myungsoo.

“It is. I’m glad we stopped. This is the most beautiful sunset I’ve ever seen.” I replied.

For a moment, we were silent as we said goodbye to the sun. Darkness starts to fill in.

“Do you usually watch the sun set?” I asked.

“Nope. That was the first sunset I’ve seen for years now. It’s so beautiful. It’s one of the reasons why I came here, I heard Jeju boasts amazing sunset views.”

“Really? Funny. One of the things that I’ve always wanted to do here is catch the sunrise in Seongsan Peak. I’ve always imagined myself watching the sunrise with my future partner here in this island. But I guess I’d have to watch in on my own. I’m thinking of going there tomorrow, with or without a partner. I don’t have any idea when will I have the opportunity to visit this island again…” my voice trailed off…

“Maybe we should go to the peak together tomorrow!” Myungsoo offered.

“No Myungsoo, I’m already so grateful for your time today. I don’t want to keep you from your plans tomorrow. I’m good. I can take care of myself. I promise I won’t get lost. Ha-ha.”

“Well, if you say so. Ready to go?”

“Yes.”

“Let’s go.”

“Let’s go!”

I slept throughout the ride back to the hotel. I felt sorry for Myungsoo for having to drive without having someone to talk to, it must have been so boring and tiring for him. We got to the hotel and Myungsoo offered to walk me to my suite.

“______________ , today was amazing. Again, I’m sorry if I hadn’t brought you to the places I should’ve brought you. I’m sorry I kept you to myself all day. I know it’s selfish of me, but I’m really glad you came along with me. Thank you so much.”

“Stop saying sorry Myungsoo. I enjoyed this day much more than you do. I wouldn’t trade this day for anything else. And, I think you are the best tour guide I’ve hired so far Mr. Kim. Thank you.”

“And you are my favorite client, Ms. ____________. Thank you.”

“Good night!”

“Good night.”

“Bye.”

I closed my eyes as I closed the door. I thought I just had the best day of my life. Tears started falling, I was so happy that it made me so sad. Extremes.

That day, I was extremely happy. But that happiness was pushed aside by extreme sadness because I knew that when I wake up the next morning, everything would go back into its rightful places. And the memories that we had that day will be the only memory we have of each other.

A memory only we two know.