Sheet - 3

Through Music

 

“Uhm, excuse me. Who are you?” Just look at his face, he definitely seemed startled by her sudden presence.

 

His voice broke her train of thoughts. “Ah, I-I’m sorry” She stammered, “I-I was crossed the corridor and heard a guitar sound echoing around, so..”

 

“Was it loud?” He cut her explanation and jolted up in a dash. He seemed so panicked, just by look at those pair of sharp eyes. She titled her head in confused look.

 

“I mean, the guitar sound. Was it clearly heard out there?”

 

She shook her head. Those sharp gaze that eyed her straight, froze her while that pale-skinned guy let out a sigh. He looked relieved.

 

“Ah, come in then. And would you please close the door tight?”

 

Gasp! ‘What did he said? Why would he asked me to shut the door, t-tight? In this empty room, with just the two of us’ She still freeze there. No move. He was confused at her yet afraid so he decided to close it himself immediately.

 

Click! The door finally shut tight. A sweat run down on her back.

 

“W-why did you close the door?” She turned face him and looked shock by the act. She was about to cry too

 

‘Eh?’ He look back at her in confusion, “Don’t you know that our college forbid the student to play any kind of music?”

 

‘Eh?’ She frowned.

 

Finally, the guy explained the whole thing he said earlier, which she just acknowledge it today, right now. She was surprised by the rule of this college has. It was so great, yet too strict she thought. She know that this college is the best business college in Korea, but isn’t it too much to forbid any kind of art especially music to be exist here? Even if its just as an entertainment or hobby to do in leisure time or break.

 

Though, he has also explained the history of why this such rule was implemented.

It was began since long ago, when actually that rule wasn’t exist. The student could freely do any kind of art, also music just like in other university. Until one day, the achievement of this university was decrease rapidly year by year. And he realized, it was the effect of those unimportant hobbies of the student. They were too much idling and spending their leisure time just for their hobby and entertainment, and the biggest element of it is, music.

 

The principal saw with his own eyes that through years most of the student spent their free time which could be used for extra lesson in library, doing the tasks or busying themselves in each club. Instead, they were seen listening to the music with each phone or ipod, brought along their instrument mostly guitar to the university and played it together with friends boisterously and made a little perform. Even, there are many time that some students were caught skipped class for practicing their music group or just because out of boredom. Then, the rule was decided.

 

“I’m so sorry. I don’t know that the condition is like that” She apologized toward him that she even acted that way. So embarrassing!

 

He shook his head as a smile came across. “Gwaenchana yo. You’re new here, so its normal to figure it out just now” That! His charm looks glowing.

 

“Ah, so..” He paused, “What’s your name?”

 

Her eyes met his suddenly as she turned his head. He offered a hand, “I’m Lee Jonghyun” He said in a soft voice.

 

“I’m Seo Joohyun. But everyone usually call me, Seohyun”

 

---------------------

 

The time flew by, and day by day Seohyun knew more about the college and getting along well with her study, so does the social. Lee Jonghyun, a next class guy she met that day is also getting close with her. Though they didn’t meet that much, but every time they bumped each other they never forget to greet in a very friendly way. That somehow comfort her more and wanted her get closer and know about him more. Especially to know about the truth whether he is the one she met on that rainy day or not.

 

Creak! The class’s door slowly opened, made everyone there stare at it. Again, that Jung Yonghwa guy came in sneakily. But now everyone just shook their head or ignore him instead of burst to laugh. Shinhye face-palmed herself and Seohyun just shook her head too, ‘That guy again. Why is he so stubborn?’

 

“Hey, Seohyun” Someone from the front whispered made she spare a glance at the culprit, “Do you think they are in relationship? I bet yes. They both look so close around since the first meeting”

 

Seohyun eyed them then, she saw Shinhye scold at him, again, while he just ignore it comfortably like nothing happened or nothing he heard as he reached his seat, but quickly she turned back to her paper “Why would I care? Its their business if its true though”

 

Yoona snorted, “Ah, you’re no fun”

 

“Go get a boyfriend, so you won’t be this jealous seeing a normal closeness on people” She suggested with eyes never leaving the paper she’s work on.

 

“Are you mocking me, Seo Joohyun? Look at yourself. Do you have one already?” She huffed in annoyance and turned back to her normal position immediately. Seohyun just giggling at her best pal.

 

‘I’ll get one soon, just so you know~’

 

---------------

 

“Okay, let’s call it a day, boys!” Four boys in average height around 180 above let out a sigh. They look worn out as their body pretty soaked with sweat. They put each instrument properly on the right place.

 

“Are you really going to be serious about this band?” Shinhye stated first as they ended up the rehearsal and take a break.

 

Everyone stare at her, then stare at the one who gulped his ice americano comfortably in one shot. He stare her back after a split second, “Yes. What’s with that question all of sudden? Are you now started to unsupport us?” The leader of the band that apparently to be Yonghwa answered it in confidence and rise his brows at her.

 

She shook her head, “It’s not like that. I’m just worry about you guys. Especially since Jonghyun said that there was a girl caught him by the act playing the guitar at your hidden place”

 

He startled and turned to Jonghyun in instant, “Is that true? A girl?”

 

Jonghyun simply nodded.

 

“Then how was it turned out? What was her reaction? And do you know her name and which class she is from?”

 

Jonghyun raised both of his hand seeing Yonghwa that way, so shocked.

“Whoaa-whoaa, calm down. It was all alright. She’s a transfer student, so she had no idea about the rule in our college back then. And as I explained all to her, she seemed okay with it and promise not to tell anyone. And I don’t know why, but I somehow believe her”

 

Yonghwa does believe on his second guitarist of the band, so he didn’t pay much worry about it anymore. But, another thing questioned on his head.

 

“Did you just said, a transfer student? And she was a girl?” He asked in curious.

 

Jonghyun nodded.  “What was she like? Or perhaps you know her name by any chance?” He asked again.

 

In no time, like he already know her well he answered. “Her name is Seo Joohyun. And she’s apparently your classmate”

 

“Seo Joohyun? Is that the girl who sit next to you in class?” Shinhye interrupted, as a picture of her came to mind. Yonghwa nodded at her.

 

Somehow it relieved them especially Yonghwa knowing the one that figured their hidden place out and what Jonghyun did there is her. Not only because she’s a rookie, but also he found that she is a nice girl so far.                                         

 

--------------

 

Beep-beep. A text message tone cracked up, distracted Seohyun’s full attention on her homework. She’s indeed a diligent student after all. She reached the phone to see who’s disturb her quality time with the books and papers.

 

‘From : Kyuhyun sunbaenim

 

Good evening. I just want to remind you that our practice for the competition will be held around 1 pm. Don’t be late then, and see you tomorrow. Have a good night, Joohyun-ssi! :)’

 

She hissed after finished read it. ‘What’s with that way of talk? And that smiley at the end of the text. Why is he acted like we’re that close already?’

She put the phone or maybe almost throw it randomly and get back to her business. She’s indeed already note it down, like there’s no need to remember her, even that way.

 

So, when the next day come, she proved it. She came early to the club room that even not a single person has come yet. ‘So, who’s late now?’

 

A door finally opened, means someone come after few minutes of her waiting alone.

“Ah, Joohyun-ssi. You’re already here” That was apparently the main guy of this club. Kyuhyun waved at her with that as-if-we-are-a-close-fella-smile lies on his face.

 

‘Yeah, I’m sitting here for ages. And you should take a look at mirror now’.

 

Another person then came in after some minute, and some other until the room already crowded by people now. Not that really crowd though. So, finally the meeting or what they called a practice begin.

 

Cho Kyuhyun who’s in charge for the leader of this club lead the practice session very well. The way he talking, explaining, judging and commenting is really cool in a leader way, and Seohyun does admit it. No wonder he is the one that called ‘the everlasting leader’ in the campus. Not only he is charismatic, the way his brain works is completely no joke, like he’s a freak learner, knowing and solving expert questions and formulas during the practice. For a guy in his 20’s, he’s definitely a junior Einstein she thought.

 

And oh, one more thing. She’s been here for months already, and during that time, she often heard people praised and compliment his look. Even some bookworm-looked girls had gone crazy over him like a fangirls. But, it’s not like the first time she meet him in person, but as far as she observed him, she didn’t found any side that could make her fall for him aside for his amazing brain. But to say that he is an ugly guy is pretty rude either. He does have that smooth skin, a pair of bright eyes that might be his specialist to melt girl’s heart. But still, nothing happened with her heart when she see him, in every angle.

 

But, well just so she know that this cute-called guy has the opposite thought of her. He found that Seohyun is not that pretty over other girls he had met. But she somehow feels different with other. She’s more like beautiful than pretty, and that’s the one that made him fall for her. Not only her appearance, her brain is also amazing. Never in this college he found a brilliant person like this girl. It’s making him fall over her all the more, like she’s a limited item he has to own.

 

“Okay. I think it’s enough for today’s practice. I’ll inform you guys for another meeting soon, because I have to check my schedule first”

 

‘Well, yeah, go on. Like you will come on time for the next meeting’ Ah, it somehow remind her back about his late coming today. She get annoyed again as she packed up her stuffs quickly. Now this, the thing she dislike the most of him. That oh-so-wise-looking.

How could he managed everything that calm, with that look. Like it never fade on his flawless face as people said. It somehow disgust her for no reason. ‘Sorry for that’.

 

“You did a great job for today, Joohyun-ssi. I believe we will win the competition as you are part of the team” He praised her all of sudden before she stepped out from the room.

 

She shook her head, “Ah, aniya. Everyone also worked very hard for this competition. It’s an honor for me instead, to be the part of this team remembering that I just transferred here awhile ago” She paused, “Let’s fighting then!”

 

He let out a wide smile and gestured ‘fighting!’ back at her. “So, are you heading home already?”

 

She stopped, again as she about to leave. “Ah, I have another thing to do actually. So, perhaps no” He nodded and seemed about to say another thing once again, but she cut it quickly.

 

“I’ll go first then. Annyeong!” quickly she rushed, leaving him standing there on the threshold.

 

Pant-pant-pant, she breathe heavily as she finally managed to gone from his sight far enough. But then something caught her eyes. She wanted to ignore it as what she said before, ‘Why would she care about that?’ about those pair of person that really looked so close and lovey-dovey around, but don’t know why, this time her eyes somehow insisted her to look at them longer and let a thought came to mind.

 

‘Are they really dating?’

 

But then she shook her head, erased that unimportant thought from her mind.

‘What’s with that? Am I jealous of not having a boyfriend?

 

She was about to leave the location as she turned her body around, someone bumped her. She gasped, so does the person. Then she lift her chin and look up.

 

She gasped again “Jonghyun-ssi?”

 

‘Ah, what a coincidence..’

 

--------------

 

Slurp~ She drank all of her goguma latte which Jonghyun treated at the canteen and left it empty now. Her mood increase rapidly.

 

“I bet that you’re a very brilliant girl, Seohyun-ssi” Jonghyun stated first, broke the silence among them.

 

She chocked at her drink, “Ah, aniya” She denied and blush profusely.

 

Jonghyun fixed his seat position, facing her directly. “How come you’re not? You’ve just transferred here for months, but you already selected as the main member team to represent our college. And you’re teamed up with Cho Kyuhyun, the everlasting leader

 

‘See? That title of him spoken up again’ She thought in her mind as she narrowed her eyes at the last words she heard just up.

Gomapseumnida. Its an honor for me to be selected in his team anyway. I’ll use this chance well”

 

Jonghyun gestured ‘fighting!’ and flashed a handsome smile on his face.

 

‘Now this is what I call handsome’. She can’t help but stunned at the smile. She also can feel her heart is hammering hard down there. But then, she managed to snap herself back from her fantasy as a question come up. She leaned on him very little bit closer, then rise her brown brows.

 

“Uhm, Jonghyun-ssi. Why are you not wearing your glasses?” She asked bluntly. Well, she’s so curious about it after all, in order to reveal the true self of him.

 

Jonghyun blinked and tapped the corner of his eyes. “Ah, that is because I’m not actually wearing it. Maybe you’re curious because the first time we met I was wearing it, right?”

 

She nodded in confusion, “Then why did you wear it that day?”

 

He chuckled a bit, “Uhm, how do I say it?” He mumbled, rubbing his neck, “I was skipped the class and run to that hidden place that day. Since I only wear the glasses when I’m reading, so I forgot to take it off back then”

 

It somehow hurt some part of her heart system. The confidence of him is the one he met that day is slowly decreasing. She was already fall for him, for the first sight when she recognized that two-toned hair, fringe, glasses and guitar’s sound that familiar with her.

But the word he said just up somehow bring her down.

‘Then.. Is he not that guy I look for?’

 

The sky is apparently turning dark in no time, means that the rain will drop soon.

Jonghyun look up at the sky as he stood up from his seat.

 

“It seems like going to be a downpour soon” He paused and snorted, “Ah, I hate rain”

 

Thump! Seohyun glance at him in instant at his statement just up. Her lips is slightly parted, can’t believe what she just heard. ‘Did he said that he hate.. Rain?’

 

“We better return home now then” His voice stopped her puzzled thought.

She stood up steadily, like there’s nothing worried her. “Yeah, it seems so” She managed to say it comfortably too.

 

Then both say goodbye to each other comfortably. But the train of her previous thoughts appear on her head again as she head back to her home.

 

‘No glasses.. And hates rain.. It’s definitely not him, or did he change?’

 

--------------

 

The dark cloud seems covered up a large radius of Seoul today. A rain start to drop slowly as Yonghwa felt it soft on his cheek.

 

“I take my leave now then” He said as he stopped his pace in front of a house that apparently the house of a girl he walked with. Park Shinhye.

 

She nodded while her face still face down. Yonghwa patted at her softly, “Don’t worry. You’ll be fine” She look up which now face him straight in assurance, “I’ll make sure of it” He accentuated as another pat landed on her shoulder. She smiled then, so does Yonghwa.

 

Then he make his way back to home fast after gave her a wave. Just like Jonghyun predicted earlier, its downpour right now in a split second.

His body is getting soaked by the heavy rain, so he decided to rest and avoid them under a shop roof. He squeezed his coat and shook his hair to let the water drop off.

But then, someone run over and ended standing next to him. He eyed her in a familiar stare.

 

“Joohyun?”