Sheet - 12

Through Music

 

“Yonghwa!”

 

Both of his eyes spontaneously opened, perk up at the familiar voice that coming in sudden.

He turned to find the owner of those panting sounds. To his surprise, his eyes went round at the figure he saw before him.

 

‘Seohyun?’

 

Smiling widely, Seohyun ran closer with the left energy she has to where Yonghwa sit, under the maple tree near the lake, after panting hard due to her overwhelmed cycling earlier.

 

Yes, she skipped the class right after she heard everything from Jonghyun. It was a long story, but she listened to it very carefully without even missed any part. It also suprised her since she just knew it all today. But rather than feel sorry or pity at him, she feel the complete urge to find him as soon as she can, and tell him something that she really want him to hear it as a hope it can comfort him instead. Because she somehow know how he felt. The difficulties in pursuing what you want and face the one-sided choice with parents.

 

“W-what are you doing here? And how do you know I’m here?” He stuttered blankly, not believing that this girl actually really come and standing in front of him right now.

 

She settled her heavy breath then posed her hands in akimbo playfully, “I’m a genius, remember?” a giggle escaped , “Besides, you once took me to this place, and I still remember you told me that this is your favorite place. Look, I even borrowed the ahjumma bike too. Thankfully she have more” She’s continue on giggling at her own words as she pointed at the direction where she parked the bike, then took a seat next to him comfortably on the grass, join him enjoying the view around.

 

Right after she sat, Seohyun closed both of her eyes and feel the blowing wind caressing her skin softly, made her unconsciously smile in pleasant while the guy beside her is still in silent.

 

Seohyun hummed, her eyes still sclosed, “Hmm, no wonder you skipped the class for many times. This place is so pleasant! I can even stay here like forever” She then opened up her eyes and turned at him teasingly, “Or, don’t tell me that you’re planning to do it already?”

 

There, finally Yonghwa’s trademark come out, his cheek-bursting smile. Yes, he chuckled. Seeing that smile of him again somehow relieved her, like someone pulled out a dagger from her heart which aching her since morning. Seohyun smiled sadly at him.

 

 “Everyone were worried about you, Yonghwa”

 

Like a thunder, the words hit right to where it ache, turning the atmosphere into gloomy again in an instant as her smile also faded into a concern look, so does her voice. His smile also rapidly gone. The pain that was disappeared for just mere seconds reappeared and drowned him in frustation once again.

 

“I’ve heard everything from Jonghyun-ssi. I asked him this afternoon” Seohyun continued.

 

Yonghwa still remained silent.

 

“Until when you’re going to be like this? Running away won’t solve anything. You’re just escaping the reality”

 

“Then what I have to do?!” Finally, Yonghwa snapped at her as he turned his face at her, responded to what she’s saying. “Everything has turned out like this! Unexpected things happen, and when I asked the people that I need a somekind of solution from, they just give me the same answer!” He paused, eyes diverted away.

 

“I should give up on my dream”

 

He buried his face in his hands, feeling all the frustation boiling inside him once again. He thought that her coming would give him any comfort, but she apparently come to ask him the same question, and it seems like she’ll going to give him the same answer like his friends did.

 

“You don’t need to give up on your dream,”

 

A perk.

 

Yonghwa froze at the words he just heard. The words. The words that he desperately want to hear it these past days. But to finally heard it, it gave him a complete surprise, so he turned his head in curious to find out the next words she’s going to say.

 

“Everyone has a dream in their life, then why can’t you have one?” Seohyun gave him a tender smile between her words, the tenderness she hope so much can at least gave a bit comfort in this hard time of him.

 

“I know, but seeing all the situation I have right now, come to think of it, how am I going to realise my dream? Even how am I going to continue pursuing it?” Yonghwa responded weakly, “If you’re already heard everything from Jonghyun, then you must be know about what happened with me and my mom not long ago, also the background of the story.”

 

He fixed his sit position a bit to her, ready to tell everything in his mind out.

“The reason why she broke the guitar that day is because she hate music so much. Even the reason why I took the accountant major is also because of her wanted me to erase everything about music in my life. She didn’t want me to become a failure like my father, so she asked me to stop doing anything that related to music. But seriously, to fulfill that one wish of her, I can’t. I totally can’t. I got the music in me, and I’ve promised my father also myself will bring our music to be on top of the world one day. But remembering those hard old times, I also had enough of seeing my mother in pain and drench with tears everyday, and I really don’t want to give her another one because of me being stubborn. Now I don’t know what to do. I just can’t betray or hurt one of them!”

 

“You don’t need to betray nor hurt one of them, but fulfill both instead”

 

Yonghwa completely furrowed his brows at the words which once again surprised him. He also very curious at how could she’s so confident saying it.

 

“You can still keep your promise you made with your dad; focusing your music and bring it on top of the world one day, also keep the wish of your mom to study hard on your college altogether, with no need to lose one of them.”

 

“How?”

 

Seohyun looked down aimlessly, hands fiddling “Maybe at first, you still need to practicing your music in secret from your mother, but don’t make it last that way. During that time, you also need to study very hard with the college, or even you should show with proves that you’re not disappointing her, like show her that you get good grades or you are active in some college’s event. Show her that you’re serious and not being stubborn. That way, it will slowly take your mother’s attention and she’ll put trust on you. Then, when you think the right time has come, tell her the truth. Tell her that you are actually still doing the music all this time, but also tell her that even though you’re still doing the music, it didn’t mess with your college matters, and you did proved it, even you managed to get good grades and being active. Show her, convince her with all best you can. I know it’s hard, but come to think of it” She paused, “You won’t break none of your parent’s heart this way.”

 

She then added, “Jonghyun said that you’re already convinced her for times that your music won’t give any mess with the college. But have you really show her? The real evidence that you’re really trying your best to make her happy?”

 

Yonghwa started to think in his mind about it, and yes, he admit that he hasn’t give her any real proof or the result of him studying hard at college.

 

“And, there’s one more thing I have in mind,” She held a pause, seeing him in the eye and lowering her tone “I don’t think that your father is fail back then.”

 

Yonghwa’s head perked at that, so he turned at her with a surprised look, “What do you mean?”

 

Seohyun hesitated, “I don’t know, but after I heard all the story, I just think that your father is not a failure. It’s just his age that made him haven’t been able to reach his dream yet.” Her eyes suddenly widened, “Ah, I have a question then to prove it wrong or right. Do you remember if he ever gave you or your mom any hardship when he still alive? The debts only come after he passed away, right?”

 

Yonghwa went silent, recalling the past for any hardship he felt that time when he was still around. It’s true that his father was only a bar stage performer with his indie band, and didn’t had a constant salary to fulfill his family needs. But when he thought elaborately, with all those conditions, his dad still capable to make a living for his family daily needs, sent Yongwa school with no stumble of paying the tuition and other things which clearly described that he didn’t gave any hardship those times back then. The family was completely fine. No fighting over things even money problem. And finally it was true, that they finally knew about the debts only when he already passed away. So, his final answer is, ‘No’, which surprised him, why did he just realized it now?

 

He froze and felt a goosebumps at the realization.

 

Seohyun lowering her head a bit to see the guy next to her who just remain silent, he seem like deep in thoughts of his old memories. “Is it, no?” She asked, tilting her head.

 

Still, not even a word come out from him.

 

But then, she cleared and collected some courage to continue. She lower her voice and looked away from him, staring at the ground instead, “If it’s really a no, it must be because he worked hard back then.”

 

Something moved in his empty heart down there.

 

“He worked with all of his best for his family, not wanting of give them any hardship. He also work and fight for his dream to make it true in the same time exactly.

How could I say this? Because my father does the same, and I believe every true father who loves their family does the same. They will work hard, give their best to live their beloved, giving them happiness since they are the leader of the family. That’s what a father should do, right? And thankfully we have those good qualifications in our father.”

 

Every word that Seohyun said make him think back more about his father, and it was all true, but a question popped on his mind, “Then what about the debts that coming after? I wonder how did he made the debts that much?”

 

Seohyun hummed, unsure what to answer at that, “I don’t know. He must have a reason over it. But I believe he didn’t have any intention to make it that much, moreover to give his family hardship because of it. Because if he’s a failure, he would have failed from the start or give his family the hardship when he still around, while he wasn’t, right?”

 

She smiled and nodded at him, “Believe me. Your mom and dad surely hope the best for you, and the reason your mom doing all those things to you is also for your best. She must have her own reason why she needs to be this way to you. Because every parent wants the best for their children. But there also something that parents don’t know about us, don’t know about what we actually want to do or choose since this is our life, so we know it best for sure. In this part, we do have a right to say, to opine. Convinced them that we’re mature enough to capable of choosing what’s best for ourselves. It’s hard, I know.. But at least we have to give a try.

 

That’s why, don’t ever give up on your dream, and I’m sure your father hope the same. Go pursue it. If you meet any difficulty, don’t let it deter your way. Don’t say that you are fail already while you are still breathing. You know that God bless you with breath to fight in this life. And last.. Live your dream,” She turned her face at him, once again flashing a smile.

 

“Because if your dream is alive, then believe it that one day it will come true.”

 

It’s like the time has stopped ticking.

 

Yonghwa went speechless at the words she just said. The of emotion from all of she said succeed driving him into tears that slowly filled both of his eyes.

Both of his parents figure appeared in his mind at the very moment. He recalling all the wonderful moments he had back then with his mom and dad, where only happiness exist.

 

Where his dad will always pull him up to his shoulder and play around after he got back from work when he was kid,  his mom smiled at the two and joined them playing around, shared the never ending laugh and exchanging smiles.

 

Where his dad always there to listen to his stories then eventually hit his head playfully, accompany him practicing the guitar and lead him better each day or his mom who will never let him sick, always taking care of him well and nagging him when he was being disobedient.

 

And even now, his mom is working very hard to make a living and give him the best education he could get and still there staying next to him to support him with all the love she has. As for the reason, they did it all to no other than to give him the happiness that every children deserves to have. To make sure that their only one son, Jung Yonghwa, grow well. Live well.

 

Seohyun noticed his silence; he didn’t even say a word to what she’s saying just up. She panicked with what her mind think of then.

 

“Ah! M-mianhae, I talked too much, even I must be sounded as if I know everything” She ducked her head to the ground, regretting her act. “But really, I didn’t mean to lecture you or kind of that. Jinjja mianhae. I just really want to make you at least a bit cheered up, but I think I turned out talked way too much that even m—“

 

Gasp!

 

Her eyes widened.

 

Her breath hitched.

 

Her heart was beating uncontrolably fast down there.

 

She extremely surprised at the moment when she found that Yonghwa is hugging her tight right now. So tight that she could even breath in his scent and feel the warmth of his shaking body. Yes, Yonghwa didn’t give a damn to what she will think of him. He let himself dripping the tears freely down to his cheek.

 

“Stop saying sorry. You didn’t do anything wrong, I’m the one who should be thanking instead.” He paused just to take another breath with his teeth gritted. “I was totally lost, so I have all my mind blank and cannot think of anything clearly, and no one was there to realize me. But then you’re here, surprised me with all the words I apparently need to hear so bad, even you told me something I haven’t realize before. Something that I should’ve realized sooner by myself. So, that’s why..” He cleared his throat between his sobs

 

Gomawo..” He smiled in tears, tigher his arm around her.

 

I wouldn’t realize it all if you didn’t come, if you didn’t say it all. Maybe I would still run away like this, stuck in this narrow minded of mine, and so very lost. That’s why..” He sobbed for once more, “That is why.. Jeongmal gomawo, Seohyun

 

Now’s her turn. She found her eyes collected with tears that rapidly filled up at the words she just heard. She hold back her sobs, afraid that the sounds that come out might loud, so she widely smiled in exchange and let the tears also slid down swiftly as Yonghwa’s sobbing sound is getting louder.

 

Yonghwa then released his arm around her after feeling better, holding her gaze. He smiled at her gladly. The girl does the same.

 

“So, can you do that? It’s the only solution I have in mind. I’m sorry I can’t help much,”

 

Yonghwa shaking his head, he chuckled at her words, “See? You’re apologizing again,”

 

Seohyun ducked her head, “Ah, mianhae,

 

Yonghwa sighed between his smile, “Just like you said. I know it’s hard, but at least I need to give it a try, right?”

 

Seohyun nodded, she gestured a fighting to him, “Let’s both fighting then!” she playfully pointing to the sky above.

 

“To be on top of the world!”

 

A wide smile came across his face seeing her that way, and it’s broadened as it describes how he feels right now. It’s like the spring bloom down in his heart. Feels so good and better.

 

‘Yes, I will try with all my best to accomplish my dream, I wouldn’t be afraid again and I wouldn’t give up until my very last breath tell me to. Yes, I will try it, just like what my father and Seohyun said :

 

‘Trust your dream and walk towards it, because if your dream is alive then believe that one day it will come true’

 

‘And, Seo Joohyun..’

 

‘Dear God, thank you for sending her here..

Thank you for realizing me that I cannot lose her, that I really need her in my life’

 

‘And thank you for making me sure about this feeling, that..’

 

 

‘I love her..’