Found Us

Find Me

 

Found Us

--

 

Jessica woke up to an empty bed in an unfamiliar room. Their room, she came to realize.

 

Rid of all the clutter and the dust and the sticky notes that used to litter the floor, Jessica almost didn't recognize it. The days of neglect made her almost forget how the room used to look like.


Turning on to the other side of the room, Jessica scanned her surroundings to check again because her mind was still clouded by sleep and she cannot be sure of anything when it's too early in the morning.

 

It was their room.

 

Their room she did not remember sleeping in last night. 

 

The characteristic chirping of the annoying birds outside made her believe it, more than the portrait of her and Yuri displayed on the opposite wall.

 

Jessica frowned, confused. She was sure she had put that picture away before and hadn't really gotten the time to put it back up.

 

From when she was lying, Jessica heard clattering noises from the kitchen, followed by a swift sound of the flipping of a pan. Water was boiling somewhere and someone was humming while chopping sounds echoed in the background. Propping on her elbows, Jessica angled her neck, enough so she could peak on the slit of the door left ajar, and see a stream of steam flowing out of the rice cooker.

 

There was a lingering feeling in her mind that something was amiss. Her mind ran with so many possibilities and that it made her afraid to move.

 

If this was a dream or a mere fragment of her imagination, she's afraid moving would pop her bubble and she didn't want this to end just yet.

 

Finally pulling herself off the bed, she slipped her feet into her slippers and walked around the room, taking everything in, before stepping out to the veranda. Wintry breeze welcomed her, so cold, it almost felt too real to be inside a dream.

 

Wrapping her arms around herself to protect her from the cold and closing her eyes, she imagined Yuri's frowning face when she'd go to their room and found no one there.

 

Jessica smiled at the thought. It almost felt like it really was happening. 

 

The clouds had already made way for the sun when she opened her eyes and a beautiful view of the lake flashed in front her. The wind blew and she took two steps back, shivering, and then gasped when warm arms suddenly wrapped around her from behind.

 

She turned around abruptly.

 

Then everything inside her settled. 

 

Like going home after a stressful day at work. Like the comfort of a safety blanket. Like finally finding your way back after being lost. 

 

 

“Found you.” 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Note: The whole story before this particular scene isn't imagined or dreamed. But maybe, this one is. Maybe....