Find Me

Find Me

Find Me

---

 

The hospital was in complete havoc. Nurses were everywhere. Security guards were running around the vicinity like madmen and they couldn’t be blamed. Their job was on the line.

 

Their parents were frantic and the doctor trying to explain that there’s no way Yuri could’ve gone outside the hospital without the guards seeing her did nothing to ease them.  

 

Jessica sat on the side of Yuri’s bed lifelessly; gray and unmoving, like a personification of an empty shell, and she really felt like one. She had always thought of Yuri as the one who brought life back to her soul and now Yuri was nowhere to be found.

 

She stared blankly at the promise ring on her palm (Of all the things, Yuri managed to remember how to take it off somehow and Jessica wanted nothing but to nag her for it) not caring about any noise other than the faint beeping sound coming from the room next to theirs.  With the series of beeps echoing in her head, she heard Yoona’s apathetic voice once again.

 

“There’s no use for you to be afraid of that, you know. Yuri-unnie won’t need it. She’ll be a blank slate who doesn’t even remember enough to move. She’s just going to lie there, as useless as a withering vegetable until  one day, her brain will forget how to breathe then that’s it; it’ll be all over for her.”

 

‘ For me too.’ Jessica wanted to say but Yuri’s sister’s nonchalance about the whole thing had hurt Jessica too badly to talk back.

 

The truth was Jessica never feared the threatening beeping sound. What she was afraid of was the lack of it. That someday Yuri would just leave her without a sound especially now that she had seemingly forgotten how to speak.

 

Like now.

 

Jessica inserted Yuri’s ring right above hers before weakly pushing herself out of the bed.

 

“Honey, where are you going?” Yuri’s mother asked worriedly when she saw her walking out of the room.   

 

“I- I don’t know,” She muttered under her breath. She really didn’t. For someone who actually remembered where her home was, Jessica felt so lost yet that wouldn't stop her from getting out of there. 

 

“She’ll be back, Jessi,” Tiffany said reassuringly as she walked past her.  She sounded so sure.

 

Luckily (or not), Jessica knew better.

 

Her Yuri would greet her every morning by kissing her forehead and wrapping her arms around her, making Jessica melt in her embrace. Their kitchen had always belonged to her and she’d never let Jessica cook because “My princess deserves to be served.”

 

Her Yuri would smile at her and would lovingly pat her head every time she finished everything on her plate. She would always kiss her before she leaves and the sensation would always linger on Jessica’s lips like a promise.

 

When they make love, her Yuri’s touches, no matter how tender they were, would burn her skin and Jessica would love her more for that. The world had always been cold for Jessica. Being burned by the first person who showed her warmth was more like a gift than a torture.

 

As if having Yuri alone didn't complete Jessica yet, Yuri's kisses made her feel more. Her Yuri showed her love in every way she could imagine. Her Yuri loved her so whole.

 

She trusted her Yuri to know it when she’s down or insecure. Where to kiss her, what to do, how to slam Jessica to the wall, hands on either side of her head, trapping her, as they made love against it. That sometimes, Jessica needed to be reminded that she, too, was strong and not as brittle as everybody liked to think. And that Yuri was always there not to let her break.

 

Her Yuri was forgetful. She never remembered the right way to anywhere but she was never late for their dates nor ever forgot to give her flowers or tell her that she’s beautiful. She had never failed to promise Jessica forever. Yuri had always remembered how to love her. 

 

Her Yuri never stuttered when she speaks. She always seemed so sure of herself whenever she told Jessica she loves her. That’s why Jessica believed everything she said. Things like, “It’s nothing serious.” “Of course, I went to the doctor! Did I ever lie to you?!” “I’m going to be fine. We’re going to be fine.” “I’m sorry. God, I’m so sorry. Don’t cry, please. I love you, Jessica. I promise I will never forget you.” “I won’t die." "Not yet.” “I will find you again. You have to promise me you’d still love me, okay? Promise... please.”

 

Before everything happened, her Yuri promised to never leave her alone, you see. And Jessica believed that because her Yuri would never break a promise. 

 

Her Yuri was gone, and it took Jessica this long to realize it.