Right In Front of Your Eyes

Right In Front of Your Eyes

Chapter 2

 

Yuri stood there awkwardly as the whole family, including her, waited expectantly for the unconscious Yunho to regain consciousness. Yuri saw the tears welling up in his mother’s eyes & she felt her brown, almond-shaped eyes moisten moments later. Hastily, she wiped away the tears spilling out of her eyes & look at the bruised up Yunho, her heart wrenching.

 

Yunho finally stirred his eyes open after many hours & squinted hard, trying to adjust to the blinding light overwhelming him. Mrs. Jung grabbed her son’s hand immediately, happily “Yunho, Yunho, look at mommy, it’s mommy!” She called out sweetly, hoping to bring him back to reality but he didn’t react much.

 

“Yunho?” He asked, questioningly “Am I Yunho?” His mother immediately sprang into tears as his father & brother clutched onto her tightly as her legs began to give away. They both brought her out slowly, who was still whimpering sadly, thinking about her son becoming like that. Yuri stayed on to watch over him.

 

Feeling tears cloud the rim of her eyes, she submerged them & put on a brave front in front of Yunho, “Are you alright?” She asked awkwardly, as he looked up at her, “Am I Yunho?” He asked again, in confusion, as she nodded slightly. He looked at her again, & then looked away, “Who am I?! Why can’t I remember anything?!” He hollered madly, groping for the nearest thing he could get. Yuri’s heart skipped a beat.

 

“Oppa!” She called out calmly, as he continued to lose himself. He looked at her painfully as a tear slid down his cheek. He threw the pillow at her & screamed angrily, “Get out! All of you! I don’t want to see any of you!” Yuri stood rooted to the ground as he threw another pillow at her. Realizing that he needed time to calm down, she retreated from the room.

 

Outside the room, she was looked at all three of them hopefully as tears came down in buckets once again, “I...I tried but he threw me out.” She mumbled, through her sobs as the rest of them looked at her in pity, too. Finally, all of them returned home & Yuri, not wanting to leave his side, agreed to stay & take care of him. His parents didn’t want to leave her alone there so they left his brother to keep her company.

 

“Hi there.” He said in a friendly manner, “I’m Haewon, Yunho’s brother. Thank you for being there for my brother in times like this, I’m sure he will be okay.” He said, sounding more convinced, “I’m Yuri.” She responded, while shaking his outstretched hand, “I’m not sure what to say.” She said truthfully. Silence engulfed them after that because both of them weren’t sure how to comfort the other.

 

Sunlight streamed through the drapes & shone gently onto Yuri’s oval-shaped face. She stirred awake & realized that a coat had been draped on her. Smiling gently, knowing it was Haewon; she looked all around for him. Minutes later, she spotted him around the bend of the ward with two cups in his hand, “Morning.” He chirped, “You are awake.”

 

Yuri smiled at him, “Thank you.” She said, as he passed a cup of coffee to her. Quickly finishing it, both of them went into the ward to take a look at Yunho. By the time Yunho had awoken, both his parents had arrived.

 

Yunho smiled at them & called out, “Mom! Dad! Wonnie! I remember!” All of them hugged him one after the other & tears of joy glistened in their eyes, “You got back your memory?” Mrs. Jung asked dearly, & Yunho just smiled at them again, “I can only remember you people, the rest, I can’t remember anything. What kind of person am I, what kind of work I do, I can’t really remember. No recollection whatsoever.” He said truthfully, “Wait a minute!” Yunho called out, pointing at Yuri, “Who are you? I mean, do I know you?” Everyone in the room turned to look at her & she shifted uncomfortably under their gazes. Yunho’s mother immediately cried out, “You don’t recognize her?! She’s your…” Yuri cut into correct her before she could finish the sentence, “Family friend.” Knowing that everyone would be wondering why she did that, she shot them a ‘I will explain later’ look & everybody obliged.

 

As they stepped outside after the visiting hours were gone, Yunho’s mother immediately asked Yuri, “Why didn’t you tell him who you were?” Yuri just smiled weakly & replied, “If he can’t remember me, I don’t want to pressure him to try to remember me. If he can remember then I will be more than happy, if not, then it’s okay.”

 

Noticing the sincerity in her tone, Yunho’s mother, who initially had her suspicions, gave in & told her thankfully, “Thank you for understanding Yunho, & for being there for him. It will be good to keep it from him now until he is ready to be able to accept his life. Come, let us send you home.” She said motherly, as Yuri nodded, following right after them.

 

The next morning, Yuri went to the hospital as usual to take care of Yunho. She didn't know what to expect. Would Yunho regained his memory? Would he see through her lies? Most of all, would he actually like her? This was her one & only chance, apart of her was actually glad that Yunho lost his memory, ‘No, how can I think like that.’ Yuri began to doubt herself, was her infatuation overtaking her logic?

 

When Yuri arrived, Mr & Mrs. Jung or Haewon wasn't there yet, so quietly she went into the room. Yunho was still asleep & Yuri made sure she didn't wake him up, putting the fresh flowers she brought into a vase, she then sat down next to the bed. Sitting there, she finally got a close look at Yunho, the man of her dreams. Despite the bruises, Yuri could still tell that he was very good-looking. Yunho had a strong jawline, perfectly arched thick eyebrows, long lashes & luscious bow-shaped lips that have regained colour in the last few days. Staring at Yunho who was breathing calmly, Yuri couldn't help but smile, especially at the idea that she's his fiance but what would he think if he found out? That was a question that Yuri just couldn't answer & something she didn't want to answer. Right now, she just wanted to enjoy the moment of peace & intimacy. Without realizing what she was doing, Yuri had unconsciously held onto Yunho’s hand & bought it up to her cheeks & felt its warmth. She didn't know how long she held it for but as soon as Yunho began to stir, Yuri quickly let go, not before giving it a gentle kiss. Yunho continued to stir in his sleep, without opening his eyes, he sensed that someone was by his bedside, holding his hand. It felt quite nice, warm & comforting. He also felt someone's lips brush upon his hand. As for whose lips, Yunho didn't know & he didn't want to open his eyes but a smile curled upon his lips as he continued to sleep. Yuri stood up & blushed at her own actions, ‘What if Yunho Oppa woke up that moment? What kind of family friend would do such a thing?’ Yuri asked herself. Walking up to the window, Yuri opened the curtains slightly to allow the warm rays of sunlight into the room, providing it with warmth. This too, wasn’t unnoticed by the half-sleeping Yunho who snuggled deeper under the covers with the much appreciated warm rays, ‘Who is this person?’ Yunho asked himself, but as much as he wanted to find out, he didn't want to open his eyes, not yet anyway.

 

Standing there, looking at Yunho from afar, Yuri noticed that it was almost time for the breakfast rounds. She knew how bad hospital food taste so she quietly sneaked out of the room to get Yunho some real food but when she got back with bags of nutritious & healthy food, Yuri realized that there was someone else in the room as she could see it through the window at the door. All she saw was the back view of the person but Yuri knew it wasn't Mr & Mrs. Jung or Haewon, it was a girl.

 

At first, she wanted to go in but then decided against it. Standing outside, she saw the girl holding his hands but she couldn't see anymore, ‘Is that his girlfriend? His real girlfriend? Who is she?’ Yuri asked, questions forming in her mind but she didn't know what to do so she continued to look on.

 

Yunho slowly woke up, ‘She's still holding my hand?’ He thought to himself. He opened his eyes & the first person he saw was a girl but it wasn't that family friend, Yuri, it was someone else.

 

"Uh...who are you?" Yunho asked, confused.

 

"Don't you remember me, Yunho Oppa? It's me, Tiffany? Are you okay?" Tiffany replied.

 

"Tiffany? I'm sorry but I have lost all my memories. Do you mind...uh, introducing yourself again? It might ring some bells." Yunho admitted, looking at Tiffany.

 

"I'm Tiffany Hwang. I was your best friend since high school. We have known each other for so long. Do you remember?" Tiffany went on to talk about all the fun times they shared but all she got was a blank look, "No recollection whatsoever?"

 

Yunho just shook his head but he was beginning to like Tiffany, she seemed so caring. He noticed the fresh flowers, ‘It must have been her. She was the one that opened the curtains, she's also the one that kissed my hand.’ He thought to himself, & almost laughed at the thought, ‘Should I ask her? Nah, it would be too embarrassing.’ So, he decided against it.

 

"Wait here, I have got something for you.” Tiffany said, & turned to head for the door.

 

Yuri, seeing the girl coming towards the door, quickly hung the bag of food on the door & made a quick dash. Meanwhile, Tiffany who was going to go to her car & get out the photo album she brought to give it back to Yunho before the accident, opened the door & noticed a bag of food there. She took it & looked around to see who left it but she saw no one. Tiffany shrugged & took the bag before going back into the room again, totally forgetting what she was supposed to do.

 

"Oppa, who...?" Tiffany started, but before she could finish her question Yunho cut in, "Wow, you brought food? Thanks Tiffany, you don't know how bad hospital food is. You really know me." & grabbed the bag from Tiffany before she could uttered a word & began eating. While he was eating, Yunho began to think, ‘How come I have so many female friends? Yuri & now its Tiffany. Could anyone of them be my girlfriend but not wanting to admit it? Tiffany, she seems really nice, the flowers, the kiss, the hand holding, the curtains & now the food? Could we have been more than just best friends? What are you thinking, Yunho? Get back to your food.’

 

But that thought lingered in his mind. Every little thing that Tiffany had done wasn’t unnoticed but Yunho didn't want to say anything now. He will see how things progress but he was beginning to have good feelings towards Tiffany. People say that first impressions last, right? All those things she did left a really good impression with Yunho.

 

On the other hand, Yuri who had seen Tiffany quite close with Yunho, ran out of the hospital just then but as she left, Haewon saw that she left a bag at the door & looking into the room as he past, he saw Tiffany. He also saw fresh flowers, obviously left by Yuri as they were the same as the ones she bought a few days ago. The curtain was open which couldn't have been Tiffany who liked darkness rather than sunlight, ‘Yuri must have misunderstood. Fany is only Yunho's best friend. Oh, no.’ Haewon thought, as he chased Yuri into the garden. Sitting alone there, Yuri stared off into empty space, ‘I knew this was too good to be true.’ She thought, & then felt someone tap her on the shoulder.

 

"Oh, hi Haewon Oppa." Yuri greeted, without much enthusiasm.

 

"Why so down, Yuri?" Haewon asked.

 

"Its nothing." Yuri didn't want to admit it to Haewon, what if he thought she was too easily jealous?

 

"Why didn't you go in? You are the one that bought the food, right? Why didn't you take it in?" Haewon asked again.

 

"There was another girl in there. She & Yunho were...they looked quite close so I didn't want to disturb them." Yuri replied, revealing only half of what she was thinking.

 

"But you are his fiancee, why should that matter? Besides, you should know what the person in there was Tiffany, his best friend, you guys should know each other, right?" Haewon questioned logically.

 

"That's my point, I can't go in there." Yuri insisted but Haewon just gave her a strange look, "Can I tell you something, Oppa? Can I trust you?"

 

"Yeah, sure." Haewon agreed.

 

"I'm not Yunho's fiance. I have only met him once at the coffee shop where I work but since that day, I somehow fell in love with him. I don't know whether it's just an infatuation or an obsession or whether it's real love but every day I sort of spy on him. Well, not quite, just watch his every move as he pass the coffee shop, what he wears, his expression. That day on the accident, I saw it & rushed to the hospital with the ambulance. I think they assumed I was related to him & somehow, when he was in the room & the nurse said family only, I just let those words out of my mouth that I'm his fiance. I know it's stupid but I really think I love him but he doesn't love me, he doesn't even know me, either does that girl in there." Yuri explained, as she stared at her hands.

 

"Wow, what a story! This seems like something out of the movies, that one with Sandra Bullock?! While you were sleeping, gosh! This is so cool!" Haewon exclaimed.

 

"Oppa, this isn’t a joking matter!" Yuri protested, "I'm serious, what should I do?! I could disappear & never come back!"

 

"That's why you didn't go in there, right? Tiffany would have blown your cover right away but listen Yuri. Yunho doesn't know anyone at the moment, as far as I know, he doesn't even have a girlfriend before the accident so maybe this is a good time for him to get one. You didn't tell him that you are his fiance so that takes the pressure off of him & you. If he never recovers, he might fall in love with you, if he does, he might have fallen in love with you along the way. You never know but if you really love him, then tell it to him through little things like how you care, your words, your support, encouragement, whatever, he will come around, believe me, he will." Haewon advised.

 

Yuri just nodded, "But can you promise me you won't tell this to a soul? No one okay?"

 

Haewon nodded & gave her a big smile, "You can count on me. Boy, my brother has all the luck when it comes to girls."


Yuri just blushed, "I will come back later. Have to head off to work now. Bye Oppa, & thanks."