Right In Front of Your Eyes

Right In Front of Your Eyes

Chapter 1

 

Yuri handed over the plastic bag of strawberry cake inside a box to the customer who was standing on the opposite of her, “Thank you. Please come again.” She told him, smiling, as he left the store as happy as she was. Yuri took in a deep breath as she sat down on the stool beside her. She was working for five hours straight without a break but she didn’t complain. She enjoyed working & it also was to keep her busy through her school break. Most of her classmates were away to visit their family which was to Yuri’s dismay. She didn’t have any family to look forward to during the holidays because she was an orphan but that little fact didn’t put her down. She had studied very hard to get a scholarship in one of the best university & she worked hard to pay off her other bills.

 

Her life was precious to her. The caretaker at the orphanage told her before she left that her mother had died while giving birth to her. Although, she was heartbroken by the news, she vowed to her deceased mother that she would never give up no matter what. She promised to hold on, even if she faced major setbacks. With that, she decided, she would take up a summer job, instead of drowning herself in sadness & pity.

 

Working in the cake shop was great, she knew, because she loved to help people. Taking up public relations was her ideal job because she knew she couldn’t helped her mother anymore so she wanted to help the rest of the world. Seeing those people smile brightened up her day & made her world more colorful.

 

Yunho, picking up his executive vintage briefcase, left his eight-storey bungalow. Refusing to be fetched by the driver, he decided to walked to work. Grumbling to himself about having to work in his father’s company, he walked towards the main road, ‘Keep calm, Jung Yunho.’ He told himself, knowing very well he was about to explode.

 

He hated being ordered by his parents. They were always there to tell him how to be mr. right, “Now Yunho, be a good boy.” He recalled his mother, ordering him far to many times about his behavior & he loathed every moment of it but he was never able to speak up for himself. He had wanted to be a lawyer so badly but never had the guts to tell his parents about it. They wanted him to study business & he did so all the same.

 

What was he supposed to do as the vice president of a multi-million organization? He wasn’t sure but he was sure that no one would correct him. He was the boss’ son, for goodness sake. Who would even dared to oppose him? Gripping harder onto the briefcase handles, he continued walking.

 

Not noticing the slab sticking out in front of him, he continued walking & tripped right over it momentarily, “Ow.” He whispered out in agony, as he cursed everything he could possibly curse, mentally.

 

Yuri, who just finished helping a customer out, noticed Yunho & took off her white apron & rushed out to help him, “Here, let me help you.” She told him sweetly, as he shrugged her off gently, “No. It’s okay. I’m fine. Don’t worry...ow!” He cried out, as he tried to stand up on his own. Yuri quickly rushed over to help him & ordered him sternly to follow her. Not knowing what to say or do, he obeyed.

 

Pulling out a stool for him to sit down, she went in & emerged with a first-aid kit in her hand, “You should have been more careful but not to worry, it’s okay, it’s nothing major.” He looked at her & nodded thankfully, “So, where were you rushing off to?” She started, trying to make him feel at ease.


“Oh, it was my first day of work.” He mumbled, as she chuckled gently, “Scared you would be late, weren’t you?” He smiled & shook his head, “If only I would ever get fired.” He muttered, under his breath, as she turned up from bandaging his long leg & looked at him weirdly, “Pardon me?” She asked politely, as Yunho blushed involuntarily, “Oh, its nothing, forget it.” He said hastily, as she shrugged. He didn’t want her to think he was one of those rich boys trying to hit on a girl.

 

After a few minutes, Yuri exclaimed, as she clapped her hands together, “All done! You should be fine after this!” Yunho smiled at her & said gratefully, “Thank you so much for you help. I’m Jung Yunho & you are?” “Oh, I’m Yuri. Kwon Yuri.” She replied enthusiastically.

 

Looking at his seiko chronograph stainless steel bracelet watch, Yunho quickly realized that he was almost late for work, “I have to go now! Thank you so much for your help! See you around, Yuri-Sshi!” He called out, as she smiled back at him. As he was about to leave, Yuri called out immediately, “Hold on one second!”

 

Rushing behind the counter, Yuri sliced a piece of red fresh cream cake & put it into a box & passed it to him, still grinning, “Good luck on your first day of work. This is a present from me to you.” She said happily, as he smiled back, not knowing what to say. Seeing him tongue-tied, she waved her hand, “This is a little present from me, you don’t have to say anything. Now, get going before you really are late.”

 

He nodded once again, & headed for the door but turned around abruptly & said one last thank you before leaving the shop. Yuri smiled at the stranger she had just met & was glad that she was there to help him & make his day.

 

Somehow, unlike other customers that come in & out of the shop, Yunho left a very strong impression with Yuri. Somehow, she felt a sense of closeness towards him. Normally, everyone that comes in would be a mere customer that Yuri felt obliged to be polite to, the regulars would become a friend of Yuri’s but Yunho was different. They have only met once but Yuri wanted to know more about him, his life, his family, his everything, ‘Why is that?’ Yuri thought, but she just couldn’t put her finger on it. People say that first impression last. This was definitely one of them but Yunho didn’t leave the best first impression. He seemed grumpy, unfriendly & somewhat rude but that didn’t bother Yuri one bit. To her, he was like a mystery & that’s what made him stand out so much.

 

So, everyday from that day onwards, Yuri would eagerly wait in the shop every morning, hoping that he would come back. Unfortunately, that didn’t happen but through the windows, Yuri would see him pass the shop every morning & every morning, he would have that grumpy look on his small, oval-shaped face, occasionally he would be cheerful while sometimes, he would be expressionless. Whatever his expression is, Yuri’s thoughts would wander off to what Yunho might be thinking. If he looked grumpy, Yuri would wonder if he didn’t get enough sleep, if he looked cheerful, she would conclude that he had a good time with his girlfriend & if his face was blank...well, Yuri didn’t know what to think, maybe he was thinking as well.

 

However, his mood had an affect on Yuri. If he was grumpy, Yuri would be down for the whole day, if he was cheerful, she would also be happy. It was as if, her mood was dependent on that person she had only met once. When the shop wasn’t busy, Yuri would unconsciously drift off into dreamland, imagining about Yunho’s life & running it through her head like an invisible movie screen. Yuri imagined him to have a perfect family, they would be wealthy, close knitted & caring. She imagined him to be a gentle & caring person that would spend his spare time helping the needy. She pictured him to be a successful architecture or businessman or whatever profession he’s in but she had trouble deciding what kind of girlfriend he would have. It was as if, Yuri couldn’t stand the thought that he was taken.

 

How Yuri wished that she was apart of his life, his perfect life. Yuri longed to belong to someone, a family, a man that loved her. She often hated her life for being so lonely but for her mother, she would never give up, seeking her future & happiness. Sometimes, it would surprises Yuri how much she was attached to Yunho, weird yet true. Without saying more than a few words to him, Yuri had fallen in love with him. Was it love? Or was it mere curiosity? ‘No, it’s not love, just infatuation but could it be curiosity? No, it’s beyond that.’ Yuri thought to herself.

 

Day in & day out, Yuri would think about Yunho. The most exciting part of her day was the morning when she would wait with anticipation for his appearance, ‘What would his expression be? Would he be alone? Would he come?’ They were all Yuri’s thoughts. So far, Yunho has always been alone, no sign of any girlfriend but then again, who would bring their girlfriend to work? Yunho’s timetable seemed to be the same from monday to friday. He would bypass the shop every morning at exactly eight-thirty. Saturday & sunday, he would come for a jog. That was all Yuri knew about Yunho, except that he liked to wear black suits & polished shoes & all his sports clothes are all the same brand. Other than that, he was a stranger to her like anyone else on the street but Yuri was very much attached to him.

 

One morning, at the same time, around eight-thirty, wearing a michael kors black solid suit & a black calvin klein x extra slim solid dress shirt, Yunho walked past as Yuri kept her eyes on him all the way as he walked across the window. He was crossing the street but as he was crossing, a car came rushing towards him.

 

Inside the shop, Yuri screamed, “Watch out!” All the customers turned to look at her but she didn’t care. Leaving the counter, Yuri ran out to the scene of the accident. Along the way, she prayed to god that he would be okay but Yunho wasn’t. As she got closer to the crowd of people who stood around the car & Yunho, Yuri saw someone lying on the ground, ‘No, don’t let it be him, no.’ Yuri prayed, but when she was close enough, she saw that the person on the ground unconscious was none other than Yunho.

 

Soon, the ambulance arrived & seeing Yuri standing there so worried & half crying & half hysterical, the ambulance driver, assumed she was related to Yunho.

 

Yuri just nodded when they ushered her into the ambulance. Throughout the whole ride, she watched as they tried to revive Yunho. Praying silently, she hoped that god won’t be so cruel to Yunho or herself. She has already lost the person that she loved, she can’t afford to lose someone else.

 

When they got to the hospital, Yunho was immediately taken into the emergency room while Yuri waited outside. After a while, his family started to arrived. Yuri just knew from their appearance that they were Yunho’s parents because to some extent, they looked similar to the people she imagined in her mind. The father looked authoritative while the mother was the typical loving & caring mother. There was also another guy standing there with them in a huddle who Yuri assumed was the brother. Yuri wanted to approach them & offer a word of condolence but what would she say?

 

‘Uh...hi, I’m the girl that Yunho Oppa doesn’t know. I just spy on him everyday.’ Or should she say, ‘I have fallen in love with your son but he doesn’t even know who I am.’

 

So, Yuri just sat there by herself until finally the operation light went out & a doctor came out. Yunho’s family immediately rushed to the doctor with Yuri following from behind closely, listening to every word.

 

After the doctor finished telling Yunho’s parents about his condition & what room he was in, he left.

 

When Yuri was about to enter room 113, a nurse came out, “Miss, it’s family only.”


“I know but can’t I just visit him?” Yuri pleaded.


“This is the hospital rules, strictly family only.” The nurse insisted, about to the close the door behind her.

 

“But I...I’m his fiance.” Yuri blurted out. She didn’t even know where that came from, all she knew was that she had to see him. Nothing in the world mattered, not even her identity.

 

The nurse just smiled & nodded, allowing Yuri to enter the room. Once she was inside, she saw Yunho lying there on the bed, eyes closed breathing calmly. When Yuri was about to take a step towards the bed, she noticed three pairs of eyes on her, “Fiance?!” They all said at once, not believing their ears.

 

Standing there at the door, Yuri wished she could take back what she said but it was too late. Staring from one face to another, she smiled awkwardly & shrugged, “Yeah, I’m his...uh, fiance.” She admitted hesitantly. Before she could say anymore, Yuri turned back around & left, closing the door behind her, ‘Oh my goodness, what have I done? What did I just say? His fiance?’