Right In Front of Your Eyes

Right In Front of Your Eyes

Chapter 9

 

Hastily wiping away her tears, Yuri walked out of the hospital, her mind made up. That conversation had said it all, Yunho was too smitten in love. She couldn’t barge into his life just like that. It was impossible for him to even talk to her again, let alone accept her.

 

She had realized friendship wasn’t enough. It was just not good enough for her. Eyeing the package once again, she knew that she was left with no alternative.

 

Sitting down immediately, she started filling out the application form. She had decided once & for all that she was going to leave all this behind & start afresh. At least she wouldn’t let her mother down, even though she knew she would regret it for the rest of her life.

 

Tiffany was next to Yunho, holding him by his hand as he stood up from the bed. Yunho was to be discharged today & his whole family was present, except for the very obvious, Yuri wasn’t around. Yunho felt funny. Something wasn’t right, even though Tiffany was holding his hand tightly. Her hand was cold & void of any emotions, seemingly like her & in comparison, Yuri’s hands was much warmer.

 

‘What am I saying?’ He chided mentally, ‘Yuri is a friend, just a good friend. Tiffany is the one I love. After all, she has been the one here for me all the time & I have to make her love me & realize that I love her with all my heart.’ With that, he pursed his lips as he looked back at the ward for one last time.

 

For a moment, he was blinded. He had totally forgot about Jeongsu. All the comfort he was seeking, all the encouragement that Yuri had given him, made him completely forget what he saw. He knew that if they were meant to be, they would be & he was going to give all it took to make it happen. He didn’t care if he was being silly because in his world, Tiffany was the most important.

 

Until he saw Jeongsu. He was standing there in the corner, his eyes never leaving Tiffany. Feeling her grip loosen from him, Yunho knew that he was losing the battle. He knew that somehow it was impossible for him to take over Jeongsu’s place. Sighing heavily, Yunho let go of her hand as she looked at him in shock. Yunho just looked down at the floor & moved towards his mother. He hadn’t looked up after that because he knew he couldn’t bear to. Asking for his parents to make a move first, he left without even saying goodbye to Tiffany, “The best thing in life is to love & to be able to let go.” Yunho whispered, remembering Yuri once telling him that.

 

Yuri picked up the phone & dialed Haewon’s number. Mentally scolding herself for neglecting a friend like that, she knew that the best thing for her to do was to let him be the first one to know about her leaving. At least that way, she knew he would feel important & as for the very least, Haewon had been painfully harbouring the secret for her & she had to repay him.


“Haewon Oppa?” She said, as she heard the familiar voice greet her on the other line. Quickly arranging a time to meet, she picked up her white michael kors es large satchel handbag & rushed out the door. Arriving three minutes later into a nearby cafe, she noticed a handsome man sitting in the corner as she waved at him sheepishly.


“I’m sorry I’m late!” She called out chirpily, as he shook his head, “I just got here.” He replied. Looking at him, Yuri felt relieved as for one, she could be as honest & open as she needed to be in front of him, “You know Oppa, I’m sorry I haven’t been paying much attention to you. I have just been busy & you know me, the forgetful Yuri always leaves her good buddy out.” She said sheepishly, as he grinned back at her, accepting her apology.


“But this time, I have to tell you something very important & you are the first one to know so promise me you will keep it a secret okay? I will be leaving in a few days for good. I have been accepted into my dream college & I have agreed to the offer. It will be good for me, starting afresh.”

 

Haewon looked at her dumbstruck, “But Yuri, what about Yunho? Fany & him are…” He started out, but Yuri cut him off abruptly, “Oppa, if you are my friend, please don’t mention them? I really don’t want to know & my main aim is to forget all of this. Come on, let’s go & have some fun. At least for the last time & no Yunho or Tiffany okay?” She joked, as she dragged him out.

 

Haewon noticed that although she tried her best to keep herself smiling, there was sadness that couldn’t be concealed in her eyes.

 

Being her friend, Haewon realized that he should just do as he is told, they should go & have some fun, help Yuri forget the whole ordeal but being honest with himself & truthful to his heart, he had to say those last words, "Yuri, don't do this to yourself. Don't try to hide your feelings. It's okay to admit that you are hurting, don't bottle everything inside of yourself. Tell me the truth, do you or do you not love Yunho?"

 

Taking in a deep breath, Yuri tried to control her emotions, "What does it matter? If I love him & he doesn't love me, what difference does it make? Oppa, I appreciate your help & yes, you are right, it's killing me to have to leave everything behind but this is life, I must face reality. Like they say, the best thing in the world is to love & be loved in return. If I can't have the best of both worlds, let me at least do the best thing I can. Don't make it any harder okay, Oppa?" Yuri remarked.

 

"But Yuri, you can't just leave. I mean, Yunho has realized that Tiffany..." He started, but once again, Yuri cut him off.

 

"Don't, please, for my sake & for my future, just wish me luck?" Yuri requested, as tears formed in her eyes. Haewon couldn't stand this anymore. He pulled the trembling Yuri into his arms, "I'm sorry. I won't mention his name again. It's his loss. Be strong Yuri, everything will be okay. I'm sure you will do great & good luck." He whispered into her ear.

 

Yuri just nodded, "Thank you." She replied inaudibly.

 

That night, rather than go out to have some fun as Yuri planned, Haewon & herself went to Yuri’s place to pack. She had to pack for the future & leave behind the past. It was time to move on, time to move forward & stop dwindling on that love at first sight. Yuri realized that it was too much of a fairy tale from the beginning but yet, she didn't regret what she did. The times when she looked after Yunho & talked to him were painful but definitely unforgettable but now, it was time to say goodbye.

 

"Yuri? Will you go & see Yunho one more time? To say goodbye?" Haewon asked, before leaving.

 

Yuri shook her head, "I have already said my goodbye. I think it will be too difficult. I don't want to change my mind just before take off, such a waste of money then. Look after Yunho for me okay? & don't forget to write." She added, but sadly.

 

"I'm going to see you off. You can leave all those instructions until then." Haewon tried to joke but sadness was washing over him.

 

"Please don't let this be our goodbye, I don't want to flood the airport. I hate goodbyes. Thank you Oppa, for everything." Yuri murmured, & gave him a soft peck on the cheek. Then she handed him a letter, "Can you give this to Yunho after I leave? If we can't be lovers, we can still be friends, right?"

 

"Goodbye, Yuri." Haewon said, & left with the letter tightly clutched in his hands. As she closed the door behind Haewon, Yuri allowed the tears to flow.

 

Five days later, Yuri went to the airport, taking one last look at the familiar city, she walked through to the gates. Step by step, hoping & praying that maybe, just maybe someone would call her back like in all love stories.

 

Meanwhile, in the Jung household, Haewon nervously looked at the clock in his room, ‘Should I tell Yunho? But I would be breaking my promise but.’ Haewon just couldn't decide. Being a loyal friend, he couldn't tell but being a friend also meant doing the right thing, ‘I can't just let her love life go down the drain. I can't just watch her walk towards loneliness. I must tell Yunho, he has the right to know.’ Haewon concluded, & barged into his brother's room.

 

"Yunho, I have to tell you something." Haewon announced.

 

"What? Don't you knock?" Yunho asked annoyed. His mind that moment was full of Yuri. For some reason, after letting go of Tiffany, rather than feeling hurt & lost, he felt relieved. Rather than thinking about Tiffany, he thought about Yuri. Her smile, the way she flicks her hair, the way she talks & her angelic voice. Yunho wondered if he was going crazy.

 

"Yuri’s leaving." Haewon let out.

 

"What? She's leaving?" Yunho asked, confused.

 

"Don't you get it?! You forced her to leave! She is leaving to go to America for good! You are so blind, Yunho! The whole time she said that she was just your friend & the whole time you were in the hospital, she lied! Don't you get it?! She's in love with you!" Haewon exclaimed, "I didn't even know she existed until the day of your accident! She wanted to see you because she was in love with you so she lied that she was your fiance, that way, the hospital staff would let her into your room! From that day on, to everyone in the family, she was your fiance but to you, she was a mere friend!"

 

"What in the world are you talking about? Yuri? My fiance?" Yunho questioned, dumbstruck. Holding his hands up, Yunho indicated that he was lost.

 

Taking in a deep breath, Haewon told Yunho the complete story of how Yuri came to be the friend that she was, "Don't you see? Yuri’s the one in love with you. She was the one that took care of you all that time, from morning til night. How did you manage to fall in love with Tiffany? She was your best friend but Yuri’s your secret lover." Haewon almost screamed.

 

"Woah, hold it. You mean all that time, it wasn't Tiffany? Yuri’s the one that brought me breakfast? The magazines? Cleaned up my room? Changed the flowers? Opened the curtains & the endless list of things?" Yunho gasped, ‘She was also the one that brushed my hair out of my eyes, the one that tucked me in, pull on the blanket, hold my hand & kiss me goodnight, it wasn't Tiffany? What have I done?’ Yunho finally found the connection but…

 

"Tiffany? What do you mean it wasn't Tiffany? She just came to visit because she cared & was your friend but Yuri, she visited & looked after you because she loved you. Everything was right in front of your eyes, Yunho, but you were too blind to see it & now, you have lost her forever." Haewon sighed sadly.

 

Without saying another word, Yunho grabbed the car keys & headed out of the house. He didn't care that the doctor told him not to drive, he didn't care that maybe his memory won't know how to drive, all he cared about was to stop Yuri from leaving, ‘I have to get her back. I can't just let the best thing in my life leave me, I just can't.’ Yunho told himself.

 

Unconsciously, Yunho began to remember everything from the past. He began to finally see who Yuri was as he drove. He remembered the first time they met. The smile that she gave him when she handed him his coffee & a slice of cake flashed before his eyes & that made Yunho even more determined than ever that he must stop Yuri from leaving, ‘Please don't leave? Not now. Not when I need you the most, Yuri.’ Yunho prayed desperately. Arriving at the airport, Yunho rushed to see the flight schedule. Scanning his eyes from one screen to the next, "Boston, Chicago, California, Washington. Which flight is the one Yuri’s going on? Damn it, Wonnie! Why didn't you tell me?" Yunho cursed, under his breath as he grabbed his mobile phone. Dialing the number in a hurry, he noticed that all the flights were boarding & one by one, they were flashing 'Gate closing'. Yunho only had time to go to one terminal but which one?

 

"Wonnie, where's Yuri going?" Yunho asked, once hearing the familiar voice.

 

"New York." Haewon replied.

 

Ending the call, Yunho rushed to the eighth terminal. As he ran, Yunho crossed his fingers, he had to make it. Finally, the number eighth appeared & like a bullet, he made his way there only to find that the gate had been closed & the plane was making its way to the runway, ‘No. This can't be happening.’ Yunho couldn't believe it.

 

Staring at the plane, Yunho watched as it took off, flying further & further away from him. Unwilling to go, Yunho lingered around in the airport. Apart of him felt as if there was just a slight chance that Yuri would appear with her suitcase, smiling at him & then running into his arms, telling him that she stayed, she couldn't leave him but another part of him realized that it was impossible, nothing in real life would ever end like a movie love story, reality had finally hit him, Yuri was gone, out of his life for good.

 

On the plane, Yuri watched from her window as the objects on earth got smaller & smaller until everything was just a blur. Maybe it was just the tears that clouded her eyes as sadness swept past her. Wiping her tears, Yuri took in a deep breath. She had to be strong. She had to focus on the future. Yunho is now the past, he was history, somehow, she must forget him. Yuri acknowledged that forgetting Yunho would be hard & strenuous process but one day, maybe one day, he would be out of her mind & forgotten about but whatever the outcome is, Yunho would be first person to ever capture Yuri’s heart & maybe the last.

 

Yunho drove home & walked into the house where Haewon was waiting for him eagerly.

 

"So, did you find?" Haewon started, but seeing the dejected & depressed look on Yunho's face, he didn't need to ask anymore. The answer was clearly printed on his face.

 

Without a word, Yunho walked to his room. Sitting in his room, Yunho felt like the whole world was coming to an end as he watched the sun set. Yunho couldn't appreciate its beauty because without Yuri, it might as well not rise tomorrow because without Yuri, there is no tomorrow.

 

A silent knock came at the door & Haewon came in. He didn't know what to say to comfort his brother, there's just nothing that could heal his wound, nothing could stop the pain of losing someone as precious as the one you love. Haewon walked up to Yunho & handed him Yuri’s letter, "She told me to give this to you." He muttered. Yunho just nodded & Haewon sensed that it was his cue to leave & allow Yunho to read the letter with some privacy & peace.

 

Holding onto the letter, Yunho didn't know what to do. The obvious thing would be to read it but somehow, he didn't know whether he was strong enough. What if it was the final goodbye? What if she was never coming back? What if? So many what ifs & no answer. Eventually, Yunho opened the letter & read the beautiful handwriting.

 

‘Dearest Yunho Oppa,

 

By the time you read this, I would have left the country & I'm very sorry that I never said goodbye but I'm a weak person, I can't stand goodbyes so maybe this was for the better. I hope you don't think I'm a coward for leaving because I'm seriously having doubts about it myself. Some people tell you to listen to your heart because when it comes to emotions, your heart knows best but I followed my head. I did what was right, at least I think it is & I hope it will be.

 

With complete sincerity, I hope you & Tiffany find happiness because don't give up on love Oppa, it's the best thing in this world. Be patient & give her some time, girls like that. Don't be afraid to tell her that you love her, it might make all the difference in the world. Like I said before, love from the heart & not the head. Believe in love because the best thing in this world is to fall in love & be loved in return.

 

After writing this, I feel more certain that what I’m doing is right. Meeting you has been the best thing that has ever happened to me & you will always be my friend Oppa, my best friend. Wherever you are, just remember that there is someone out there praying for your safety, wishing you happiness & forever loving you. Love because it's true love, not because it's right, follow your heart Oppa & tell Tiffany.

 

Goodbye Oppa, & a million thanks, hugs & kisses.

 

Yuri’


A droplet of tear fell onto the paper & smudged the ink. Carefully, Yunho wiped it away but the word love smeared on the paper, ‘Why, Yuri? Why didn't you follow your heart? Why didn't you wait for me to come to my senses? Why did you have to give up the best thing in the world? Why didn't you tell me earlier? You aren’t weak Yuri, you are the strongest person I know. I love you & will forever wait for your return. Follow your heart Yuri. I hope it will lead you back to me.’ Yunho thought to himself, as he carefully folded the letter.