All is full of love

Favourite Friend

 

“BOO!”

Hyoyeon let out a bloodcurdling scream at the sound of the unexpected deep voice right against the hollow of her ear. The CDs she was holding in her hands crashed to the ground..

And a pair of hands reached out immediately to calm her – she recognized his familiar touch. Turning around on her heel, Hyoyeon repeatedly beat her fists against his chest.

“Hey! It’s me! Hyukjae… ya Hyo relax, it’s just me!”

The younger girl tossed her head back, fierce eyes meeting his worried ones and she smirked, “Oh I know.” She continued to punch his stomach making Hyukjae yell out in pain. After she was satisfied that her best friend was sufficiently injured, she stopped her assault.

 

“God woman, why do you have to be so violent?” he complained holding his now sore midsection.

“Serves you right for creeping up on a girl in a dark secluded room.”

“Point taken.”

 

“AHHH” She hit his arm again.

“What now?”

“Because of you I am going to die young, oppa! My heart is still beating so hard like it wants to jump out! You know, JuHyunah told me that according to some important scientist person, every time we get scared and our heartbeat races, we lose 10 years of our lives…. Ah why isn’t it slowing down? You can hear it too, right? Am I going to die?”

 

“Kim Hyoyeon, you need to stop being so gullible! Here..” he placed his warm hand over her heart – it was strange but it was like her heart immediately obeyed the soothing calming energy that flowed through – submitting to a quiet normal beat in a few seconds.

Hyoyeon sighed in relief and was about to thank him when the awkwardness of his hand placement hit her.

 

‘AAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaa’ that was her silent thought as her entire body heated up with embarrassment.

The feelings probably flowed through to Hyukjae because he immediately removed his hand like he had just touched a burning pot.

‘Crap! What did I just do?’  His pale white cheeks were now a flaming red.

 

Neither of them spoke.. until Hyoyeon finally took the initiative – he was after all only trying to help.

She cleared and joked, “I’m alive! Hallelujah let’s toast to that.” Running to her bag in the corner of the room, she grabbed two bottles of water and handed one to Hyukjae. “Cheers to being alive!”

He shook his head slightly as he laughed at her. There was no one like Kim Hyoyeon.

************************************************************************************

“So why are you here this early morning? I thought you’d be sleeping the entire weekend. Aren’t you exhausted from training?”

“To see you. Yes, normally I would. And yes I am. So to summarize I, your amazing best friend, gave up my desperately needed beauty sleep to come find you, so you better hang out with me all day.”

“Eh.. we can always hang out another time. Go rest.”

“No,” he shook his head stubbornly. “It has to be today. You’ve had something else to do the past five times I asked and I even went to the thing last night just for you but you weren’t there!”

 “Aaaah.” Hyoyeon felt conflicted – it made her happy to know that he missed her but… it wasn’t the way she missed him… and spending time with him was only going to make it worse.

“What’s up with all the ‘ahhhhs’ and long silences today, Hyo? Words are usually fighting each other to get out of your mouth,” Hyukjae teased grinning like a fool but he stopped midway remembering why he had come by. He turned serious. “Sooyoungie told me you were sick and I think it’s because I keep you up with all my after practice phone calls. So I am going to make it up to you by treating you to the best day ever! Are you excited?”

He thought that would be the cue for her eyes to light up like Christmas trees but instead Hyoyeon just bit her lip hesitantly. “I appreciate the thought oppa but I was planning to practice all day. Why don’t you take Gyuri shhi?” - the name alone caused a painful lump in – “I’m sure you haven’t seen each other much because of rehearsals.”

 

Hyukjae frowned, “But I want to hang out with you and I already had dinner with Gyuri yesterday. YA!” he flicked her forehead lightly; “Don’t you remember what I told you?”

She blinked up at him in confusion.

“I said that you would always be just as important to me as my future girlfriend, didn’t I? Tsk tsk. Believe what this wise oppa says sometimes, you choding!”

 ‘Now you remember?’ Hyoyeon mused softly.

“Huh?”

“It’s nothing,” she shook her head – this was just a simple best friends hanging out thing so it wasn’t like Gyuri had anything to worry about. “Ok, where are we going?”

“Are you ready for it?........................................ Lotte World!!”

 

“It’s been so long since we came here oppa!” Hyoyeon squealed in excitement while repeatedly slapping Hyukjae’s arm as the escalator climbed higher and higher… until finally revealing Lotte World. Her usually smiling eyes were wide open trying to take in all the sights – pretty little tutu-ed girls twirled around on the skating rink, animal characters walking around shaking hands with children and posing for pictures; the big gold merry go round was turning in a dazzling halo of gold, stands filled with rainbow colored slushies, ice cream and cotton candy stood on one side while rolling trolleys with balloons and soap bubbles passed by them. The excitement in the air was palpable – the sound of excited children, the carnival-like theme playing in the background, the announcements coming from various rides and stores, people running around with all kinds of cutesy headbands.

Hyoyeon forgot all about her heartbreak and regrets – she was just happy to be here – in this moment, and best of all - with him.

‘Thank you for this day, God. I will be grateful and enjoy it fully and after that I promise I will stay out of their way.’ She said silently before putting on a wide smile and linking her arm through his waiting one.

“Don’t space out already, choding.” Hyukjae teased, “I’m going to make sure you have so much fun you’re going to be puking!”

“Ew!” she pushed him violently but joined in his laughter.

 

They strolled around for a while taking note of the changes the place had undergone through since they were last here five years ago. For every time Hyoyeon noticed something, she slapped Hyukjae’s arm animatedly until Hyukjae finally made her switch sides. He also took her hand in his as an extra safety measure. The simple action made Hyoyeon feel light-headed.

Although they’d always held hands in the past, she couldn’t help how her heart fluttered in his close presence now. It was dangerous and wrong but she let it pass – Lotte World was the land of dreams and make-believe; where people came to forget their worries so it wouldn’t be terribly bad for her to just enjoy this moment, right?

 

“Which ones should be get?”

“eung?”

She had been so caught up in her thoughts that she didn’t notice they were standing in front of an accessories stand.

Hyukjae motioned towards the eye-catching display of cute headbands – mickey mouse ears, cat ears, dog ears, panda ears… pretty much every kind of animal, plus princess-y tiaras, angel hats, the Lotte mascot hats..

She heard him chuckle beside her, “Bad question to ask an indecisive girl!” He picked out a Mickey and a Minnie headband and handed them to the salesperson, “We’ll take these.”

“Ya!” she stopped his arm, “Those are couple headbands.”

“So?”

“So?... Let’s just get whatever animal we like.”

“But I want to be matching!” Hyukjae pouted cutely.

“But they –“

“We always got matching headbands in the past! Why can’t we now?”

“Beca… ok never mind. Get them.”

“Assa”

Hyukjae quickly paid for them and ripping off the price-tags, placed the Minnie on her head and the Mickey on his.

“Ok, let’s go to some rides now!”

 

Hyoyeon let herself be swept away. They had decided to finish up the rides inside first before heading out since it was much cooler and prettier in the evening – so they were indoors for a few hours. They laughed at instant pictures of them on the rides, enjoyed treats like churros and corndogs, took photos in the sticker booth and even had caricatures drawn – it was like the perfect date.

Finally, they headed outside. The place was getting busier now since it was cheaper in the evening. Hyukjae intertwined their fingers together locking her even closer to him as he led them through the crowd.  

And in a few short seconds, they were standing in front of the beautiful Lotte Castle.

 

“Are you having fun?” He smiled down at her as they paused to look over the elegant swan boats float on the manmade river.

“Do you even have to ask?” she grinned back.

“Then, you're ready for the Gyro Drop?”

“Bring it on!”

 

Finally after an almost 20 minute wait, their line was ushered on to the seats. The pair of best friends looked confident and carefree at first but as the safety rest snapped shut and the slow climb began, their faces started turning pale.

“Umma.. why did I decide to do this?”

“We’re going to die! We’re going to die.”

“I wanna get off!”

All kinds of yells of regret surrounded them but Hyukjae just silently clasped their hands together giving hers a reassuring squeeze. She returned it and they shared a smile – then the descent began and they were screaming their heads off like everyone else.

 

“Best ride ever!” They chorused together – giggling uncontrollably and stumbling over each other as they tried to get accustomed to solid ground and the intense feeling of dizziness.

“Ya, hold still,” Hyukjae commanded, “We’re going to sprain or break something.”

Hyoyeon tried to do as told but she was still wobbly – her sense of balance was always the Achilles heel of her dancing.

“Little kid,” Hyukjae laughed and then put both his arms around her, hugging her in place. “Tell me when you stop feeling dizzy.”

They stood like that for a long time – well, it felt like an eternity to Hyoyeon because it was like time had slowed down all around her. She felt like Cinderella in the arms of her prince at the ball – who cared if people were looking at them curiously… enviously… sweetly…

Not her,

 

 

Not until...

 

 

“Hyukjae oppa?”

“Hyoyeon unnie?”

Hyoyeon recognized that voice and she immediately separated herself in a panic.

===================================================== <3 ======================================================

fluffy fluffy HyoHyuk :) I kept my promise. hope you enjoyed it.