Hyukjae has never been good at puzzles

Favourite Friend

 

“So..” Hyoyeon broke the comfortable silence as the two best friends sat on a bench side by side, enjoying strawberry ice cream cones. “Aren’t you going to tell me about your girlfriend?” ‘It would be more suspicious if she didn’t at least show some interest!’

“Girlfriend?.. eh.. what do you want to know?” he asked slowly.

“I don’t know. Anything? Everything you want to say? Don’t couples in their honeymoon stage usually want to smother everyone with their love-doveyness?”

Hyukjae turned to face her with genuine curiosity, “They do?”

 

Hyoyeon shoved him with her shoulder lightly, “Ya, don’t pretend to be a cool guy around me! I’m sure you want to freak out like a little girl, Come on, you can tell me! That’s what best friends are for, right?”

“Er.. ok. Where should I start?... ahm.. her name is Gyuri. Park Gyuri and she is a trainee also.”

“And….?”

“And?” Hyukjae repeated her question back.

Hyoyeon studied his profile for a moment – he did have the most gorgeous jawline in the world – and then quickly broke out of it. “It’s ok. I understand.”

“Mwoh?”

“You’re not good with words, oppa! But I can see how much you must like her. Your eyes are sparkling with love.”

“B..but..” I wasn’t even thinking of her.

*******************************************************************************************

“Hyukkie’s home!” Donghae yelled out loud as Hyukjae entered the dorm.

“Oof!” he protested as Donghae clung to him needily. “You don’t even live here! Go back to your own apartment, you sticky starFISH!”

“Mwo ya?” Donghae dropped back to his feet and observed Hyukjae carefully. “Something’s different.”

“What?”

“I don’t know… you’re different from the tired mopey Hyukjae of last week…”

 

“You’re right, hyung!” Ryeowook walked up from behind holding a box of strawberries. “Just look at that – it’s the return of the gummy smile!”

“I know why!” Kyuhyun piped up from the other side of the room as he hit buttons on his laptop furiously.

“YOU TOO? Why are you all camped in our dorm?” Hyukjae yelled in exasperation. All he wanted was to lie down on his bed but the usual suspects (whose life mission it was to nag and annoy him to death) were all gathered here i.e., the maknaes (and Donghae fell into that category as well since he acted like a kid 24/7)

“Oh Hyukjae…”

Hyukjae took his shoe off and threw it at Kyuhyun, “it’s Hyukjae hyung to you, you insolent maknae!’

“Oh Hyukjae..” the youngster continued unperturbed. “there can only be one explanation – you kissed her, didn’t you?”

“Could it be?” Ryeowook abandoned the strawberries to hold onto Hyukjae’s shoulders and look into his eyes, “oh ho! They are sparkling!”

“Pabo!” Donghae smacked his head lightly, “you have to look at the lips for evidence…. Hmm… I don’t know, boys….”

“This is dumb. I’m going to wash up.” Hyukjae walked past them as Kyuhyun continued with his speculation. “I’m telling you little Hyukjae got a kiss today but judging from what Heechulie hyung says, she's the dominating kind so my money is on her kissing him. Let’s place bets! Come on..”

 

Closing the door to shut out his noisy dongsaengs, Hyukjae gazed at his reflection in the mirror.What was everyone going on about his sparkling ey- Oh! They do look more full of life than they had all week! But… he hadn’t even talked to Gyuri today… 

******************************************************************************************

The following days seemed to get better as Hyukje engrossed himself in the training sessions even more but oddly enough, he didn't feel lethargic like before. If anything, he had more energy and was even waking up earlier to get in some private practise time.

 

"Hey Hyukkah! Can we meet the girl responsible for this Happy Hyukjae soon?" Jungsu wanted to know that Friday. They had been dismissed early as a reward for their outstanding efforts at practise.

"Neh hyung?" Hyukjae looked up from his phone.

"Are you texting her right now? Ask her to hang out with us this weekend." 

"Aniya. I'm talking to Hyo.. but... you're right. I feel bad about not seeing Gyuri a lot lately. I should ask her out."

 

"Great! Where are we meeting?" Donghae appeared out of nowhere and received a smack on the head from Hyukjae for scaring the daylights out of him.

"Not we, you idiot. Just me!" he switched his gaze to Jungsu - his most respected and beloved hyung, "I'll introduce you guys when the time is right ok? Soon." With that he walked towards his room dialling some numbers on his phone, "Gyuri? It's me, Hyukjae. Do you want to go out for dinner tonight?"

 

Donghae watched as he disappeared behind his door, scratching his head thoughtfully.

"Is something wrong, Donghae ya?"

"Hyuuuung~" the younger boy whined, "doesn't something seem off?"

"Why? What do you mean?"

Donghae took a seat on the sofa with a serious expression on his face, "I'm not sure.. it's just a feeling but.. if you are dating someone aren't you excited to show her off to everyone? Heck, I even follow Sica on her 5 hour shopping sprees because I'm so proud to be seen next to her... So why is Hyukkie keeping his girlfriend such a secret?"

 

Jungsu shrugged, "Everyone is different, Donghae. Hyukjae isn't very open about his private feelings, you know that!"

Skeptical eyes gazed back at him, "Are you sure that is what it is?"

"Why? What are you thinking?"

Donghae shook his head quickly, "A..a  ani. it's nothing."

*******************************************************************************************************************************************************

"Hey! We are going for dinner and a movie after practise. Wanna come?" Jessica asked as she ran into the Dance room. 

Hyoyeon looked up from her sideways split position, "Is this going to be like last time?"

Sica erupted in her signature giggles. "Don't worry. I've left the matchmaking business. It's just a bunch of us going to watch a movie together. i promise I'll even sit next to you and not Donghae oppa."

But Hyoyeon shook her head as she smiled back, "i was just joking. Honestly though, I'm tired, so I think I'm going to go home."

"Ya" *smack* "Don't be so lame! Are you a grandma or something? you've been complaining about being tired all week." 

"Because I am!" Hyoyeon protested while rubbing her arm but the slightly taller girl was not willing to take no for an answer. In fact, Jessica had come up with the movie plan just to cheer her up. Having known each other since Hyoyeon's first day at SM, she was sure that her best friend was hiding something from her. And it bothered her a lot! Hyoyeon was always willing to stay up till dawn listening to her problems with Donghae but never once opened up about her own. 

"Kim Hyoyeon if you are my friend, you will -"

 

"Jessica Jung! What are you doing here interrupting my lesson?" The dance teacher demanded upon catching sight of Jessica huddled in the corner next to Hyoyeon, "Go back to your singing lesson right now before Jo Han teacher starts yelling for you!"

"Aish... Sorry Sir, I was just leaving.. I umm... forgot my notebook with Hyoyeonie."

She grabbed a small notepad from Hyoyeon's bag, "Found it!" ('You got lucky today but we HAVE to hang out Saturday!' she mouthed to Hyoyeon and quickly ran back to her own classroom.)

***************************************************************************************************************************************

"Oppa! so how come you asked me to go out first today?" Gyuri smiled with satisfaction as Hyukjae walked her to her dorm. They had gone for dinner to a sushi restaurant not far from there since it was a last minute plan. But he considered it a success because he didn't have to pay for her taxi and the food wasn't too expensive - it being 'All you can eat' night. Even better, Gyuri even seemed less demanding today; although there wasn't much to complain about since she spent most of the dinner talking about herself. All in all, however, it had been their best date so far!

 

"I just ..felt bad for being so boring and tired last week," he replied honestly. 

"I thought so! it's good you realized your mistake." She tossed her hair back with a smirk (You've totally fallen for me haven't you! That's right, I am a goddess and you should feel lucky I agreed to be your girlfriend!)

"I'm sorry.. what?" 

Gyuri jumped at the sound of his voice. ('! did i say it out loud? Act innocent!') - she widened and blinked her eyes repeatedly, "What do you mean by what?" 

"Were you just saying that -"

The rest of his words went unsaid as Gyuri quickly jumped on him covering his lips with hers. 

 

As they separated, she took in the surprised look on his face feeling pleased with herself.

"You were saying?" her fingers tapped Hyukjae's arm flirtatiously and as expected, he was unable to meet her gaze. He simply stood there red-faced, examining his sneakers like they were made of gold. "Whoa we just kissed!"

*************************************************************************************************

A/N an odd chapter title and too much dialogue but halfway through writing this, i realized there was too much filler stuff happening so to get the story moving, i wrote in a lot of choppy scenes. hope you still enjoy reading it. leave me comments if you like the other format better. cheers