hello sunshine

Favourite Friend

 

Gyuri had totally surprised Hyukjae the next morning by calling and asking him out on another date. Naturally he had agreed because wasn’t all this for the purpose of getting a girlfriend?

And perhaps there was a secret genie granting everyone's wishes or something because things had somewhow snowballed into them becoming a couple after just one week.

***********************************************************************

“Hyo you’re back!” Sica ran up to give her friend a big hug which she was only happy to return.

“Yes I am Princess Sica. What have I missed?” She wore her signature grin on her face – no one would have guessed that she had spent the past two weeks nursing a broken heart.

“Me!” Jessica squealed childishly, “Didn’t you miss Soo, Yuri and me? What’s the big idea anyway? We just got you back from China and then you go away for two weeks again!”

Hyoyeon threw an arm around Jessica as they walked towards the basement practice hall, “Sorry. My parents decided to go on a family trip to celebrate my showcase. They haven’t seen me much since I got back because I was practising all the time, you know! Then I spent a week in Masan with my grandparents.”

 

“Ah chinchha? I guess that explains why your phone kept going to voicemail!”

“I brought you guys fresh fruit though!” Hyoyeon jiggled the plastic bag she was lugging behind her - it was almost the size of a kindergartener! But food  - lots of it - was the easiest solution to any issues that arose with her friends and predictably Sica’s face lit up. Grabbing Hyoyeon’s  arm she started running, “Hurry! I want to eat the good stuff before Food Monster Sooyoung gets here!”

************************************************************************************

A while later, the girls were all together enjoying the fresh fruit and other food Hyoyeon had brought back from her grandparents’ farm.

“Oi! I totally forgot to ask. What happened with Yoochun oppa? I thought you guys would be dating by now,” Sooyoung demanded to know.

Hyoyeon shrugged, “There wasn’t anything .. like a spark so we decided it’s better to stay friends.”

Her friends nodded acknowledging what she was talking about – being in a company training good-looking talented youngsters to become celebrities, attraction to someone of the opposite on a regular basis was a given but rarely did it translate to a real connection. Luckily, each of them had found theirs already!

“I would never have predicted this two weeks ago!” Yuri remarked while absent-mindedly peeling an orange. “No Hyoyeon-Yoochun couple while Hyukjae oppa has magically got himself a girlfriend.”

“Ah that’s right!” Sooyoung piped up, “Have you talked to Hyuk oppa? Did he tell you about his girlfriend? I don’t know why he is keeping her so mysterious!”

“Yep, Donghae oppa told me all he knows is her name as well.” Jessica added.

Hyoyeon tried her best to control her erratic heartbeat at the mention of his name. She didn’t want her friends noticing and asking questions – stupid heart! She thought that that the two weeks away had effectively cut off her budding feelings of love for him; but coming back – to a place where she was sure to run into him at any moment – her stupid traitor of a heart was back to throbbing painfully.

‘Girlfriend? Already? Good thing you didn’t stop him, you delusional fool. Now you better figure out a way to be normal around him.. I guess, that’s what he wanted to tell me in all those voicemails..”

“Earth to Hyohyo!” Yuri waved her hand in front of Hyoyeon’s face.

“UH? Sorry, I just remembered I had to give my mom some messages from my grandma.”

 

“It’s alright. But tell us, what else do you know about this Park Gyuri!”

“Park Gyuri..?”

“Yea, Hyuk oppa’s girlfriend. Did he tell you more?”

 

Hyoyeon was flustered.

Park Gyuri?

Of all people, it had to be someone she had met – or to be more specific – seen before. Her close dongseng Nicole who was a trainee at another company had pointed her out as the Queen Bee there.

“Heh..She’s a DSP Ent. trainee,” Hyoyeon informed her eager audience (not letting on that this information had not come from Hyukjae’s mouth), “and she’s very pretty and talented.”

“Is she also a seductress or something? How did she get Hyuk oppa to be her boyfriend in just two weeks?” Sooyoung quizzed Hyoyeon, like she usually did about all things related to Hyukjae.

Hyoyeon tried to keep speak as normally as possible, “When you meet the right person, I guess you just know.. if you’re smart, that is.” Unlike dumb unlucky me, who only realized it after half my lifetime.

“Whatever, I’ll decide when I see her.” Sica declared icily. She didn’t let anyone into her circle without a full inspection and her instincts were usually spot on.

 

Hyoyeon remained as silent as possible for the rest of the time as the conversation turned into a complain fest about who was missing their boyfriend the most. The girls informed her that Donghae, Yunho, Changmin and Hyukjae along with Yoochun, Junsu and four other boys were undergoing heavy training and evaluations. Apparently, there were lots of rumours that SM was looking to form a dream team… Hyoyeon said a silent prayer right then; hoping that he would get to be a part of it.

*****************************************************

Anyhow, luck was on Hyoyeon’s side that day and she managed to avoid running into him even though he was apparently practising in the building. As she walked to the subway station in the evening she dialled his number. While at her grandparents she had purposely called him at times she knew he would be in lessons to avoid talking to him. But now that she was back, Hyoyeon figured it would be better for their first meeting to be when she was on her guard.

 

As expected, the call went to voicemail. She cleared , “Hi OPPA! Guess who? Only your best friend in the world! I’m back so let’s hang out. Let me know when you’re free ok? See you soon buddy!”

 

Buddy? Where the hell did that come from!” Hyoyeon smacked her head repeatedly with her phone.

 

 

“And that’s a wrap for today! Go shower. You guys smell!” the choreographer joked with the boys trying to lighten the mood because they were seriously resembling a group of zombies. But all he got were a few groans and the sound of heavy shuffling feet as the group of ten went about collecting their things.

Hyukjae threw his drenched towel around his neck and zipped up his backpack. But something was niggling at him to check his phone first; so he did.

The biggest, gummiest smile overtook his face as he listened to his voicemail.

She was back again. Finally!

*****************************************************************

 

“Kim Hyoyeon!” he grabbed her head into a headlock.

“Aiiishh that hurts oppa! let me go!” Hyoyeon struggled with all her might, finally managing to get free. Her face was warm and red from the exertion AND having her circulation cut off – ‘at least that takes care of the blushing!’

“Trying to kill me?”

“You deserved it!”

“What?”

“Why’d you leave again? And without even explaining!”

Hyoyeon felt her heart soften at the genuine grumpiness in his voice – but stopped herself. This was exactly why she had fallen for him – because he made her feel like she was irreplaceable to him! Apparently not.

 

“Why do I have to tell you everything, huh?” she tried to be flippant, “Looks like you were doing fine and enjoying yourself!”

“Fine? Enjoying myself? Which have you been talking to? I have never been so tired and achy in my life!” he complained. “Look at me!” he held her by her shoulders and made her face him – (Hyoyeon swore her heart-rate had surpassed the speed of light) “Don’t I look pale like a death eater?”

Hyoyeon pushed his cute adorable pouting face away roughly, “So what do you want me to do about it?” She was merely joking but Hyukjae’s eyes instantly lit up. “Cook for me! I’ve been dying to eat one of your home-made lunch boxes for ages.”

“Ask your girlfriend.”

“I don’t think she’s the cooking kind.”

“And I am? Do you think I'm your servant?”

“Mwoh? The stupid things that come out of your mouth sometimes, dumbo! I meant you're a good cook. and that's like the most awesome talent ever! When I get married, I'm definitely finding a girl who can cook!” Hyukjae was in a light hearted mood so he was completely unaware of Hyoyeon's seriousness. He dragged her to a bench in the courtyard and sat her down. “So where were you exactly? Explain!”

“I was spending time with my family. Apparently they’ve missed me.”

“So have I.” Hyukjae interjected casually – ‘Grr.. Lee hyuk jae. You are the dumbo! For the love of God, stop saying things like that when I’m trying to get over you!’

 

“Hey Hyoyeon!” Hyukjae was grinning at her like a Cheshire cat when she came back to reality.

“What?”

“Did you miss me too? Is that why you were looking at me so dreamily?” he looked too pleased with himself.

“Y..you wish!” Hyoyeon stuttered but feeling her face getting hot all over again – she used her only weapon – Violence!

This time she shoved his entire body off the bench and then took off running.

****************************************************************

A/N Finally a slightly light hearted chapter. the angst was depressing me and i am sure it was annoying for you guys too. hyohyuk still aren't together together, but they are together (i mean, in the same scene) :D