Side-glances [DoKyul]

blue_periwinkle's Dumpster of Drabbles and Oneshots [UPDATED ft. NAPINK:)]

Summary:

Yoojung wasn't the most observant in I.O.I, and probably in the universe, but sometimes she noticed things no one else did.

Pairing(s):

onesided!DoKyul, platonic!DoDaeng, side!NaPink

Genre(s):

angst

Word count:

1101 words

Published on:

July 28th, 2016

A/N:

The most I've updated within one month since probably two years ago holy where you been creativity I miss u :"

Anywayyy hccc49 wanna see some DoKyul and I thought y not so here it is.

I don't know why I did this story just reading it makes me bitter at my IOI otp like wtf

 


 

Yoojung wasn't the most observant in I.O.I, and probably in the universe, but sometimes she noticed things no one else did.

Like the way Doyeon would look straight ahead, but occasionally side-glanced someone in their group. Yoojung didn't know who her friend was looking at, but sometimes she assumed it was either I.O.I's stone-faced leader, Nayoung, or their other roommate, Chaeyeon.

Or was it someone who was always with them when Doyeon glanced over?

"Doyeon," the shorter girl whispered. It took a few seconds for the other girl to hum in response, but all the way seemingly looking at something in front of her.

'Seemingly', Yoojung thought, because Doyeon's gaze was strangely empty.

"You know you can tell me anything, right?" the very-slightly older girl took her friend's hand and squeezed it gently, "I'll always listen to you."

The tall girl shivered lightly, a small smile playing on her lips, "... I know," she whispered, "maybe someday."

Yoojung wondered if that day would ever come.

 

The day did come, but Yoojung never thought it would come with Doyeon in tears, cheeks wet, eyes red and puffy, body shaking so hard she looked like she was about to break some bones, her lower lips bleeding crimson. She didn't get to voice out her surprise because the Kim crashed onto her, hugging her like a lifeline.

"D-Doyeon," she murmured, "shush, it's okay... it's okay, please don't cry..."

"It's n-not okay..." Yoojung felt Doyeon's words vibrated against the fabric of her shirt, now drenched with tears and streaks of red, "it's not okay, Yoojung..."

"Why? What happened?" The shorter girl brought her voice to a hushed whisper, careful not to wake anyone up at the ungodly hour of two in the morning. She gently, soothingly pat her friend's back and absentmindedly rubbed circles on it.

"I'm such a t-trash..."

"No you're not. What makes you say that?"

Doyeon's grip on the shorter girl's shirt tightened, "I-I... *sob* I'm so s-stupid... to think I had a c-chance... with h-her..."

Yoojung felt her heart wrenched. She had known for a long time that Doyeon wasn't straight, long before they were chosen to take a part in PD101. She was the only one who knew, what with Doyeon not wanting anyone else to find out.

When it came to Doyeon's love life, the girl only had Yoojung for comfort, in times when the tall girl found herself hurting at falling for a straight girl, or falling for a very effeminate boy.

But in all her times as Doyeon's support, Yoojung had never seen her friend crying as much as she was right now.

"It's not okay... b-because I really t-thought I had a c-chance..." sobbed the taller of the two.

"Doyeon, what happened?" Yoojung quietly asked.

There was a noticeably heavy silence in the room except for Doyeon's occasional hiccups. Yoojung tried working her brain for any possible reasons, but nothing came into mind.

It wasn't until Doyeon softly, brokenly, painfully, quietly croaked, "i-it's Kyulkyung-unnie."

Yoojung's heart dropped.

Zhou Jieqiong, a.k.a Joo Kyulkyung, a.k.a Pinky, the China's Miracle, I.O.I's visual and designated beagle member. The girl whose cuteness melted the iciest hearts, whose beauty turned heads at all corners of the world, whose kindness healed even the most broken of souls. Joo Kyulkyung whose everything was perfect.

"Please don't tell me it was about this evening," The Choi was almost afraid to ask.

Her hug tightened when she felt Doyeon nodding against her shoulder.

 

Flashback, seven hours ago

"Unnies, unnies!" Somi screamed, "big news! Big freaking news!"

From her room, Yoojung could hear Chungha shouted back, "what is it?! What happened?!"

"I saw something amazing oh my God!"

"What did you see??" came Sohye's confused question.

"I saw our leader and Pinky-unnie kissing on the rooftop!" the Dutch-Canadian girl squealed.

The penguin girl sounded even more confused, "So what? It's Pinky. She kisses everyone."

"Yeah, well it was full-blown makeout session though and now that I remember it Nayoung-unnie was putting her hands into Pinky-unnie's shirt--MMPH!"

"HOLY SOMI!" Nayoung's uncharacteristically-shaky voice boomed through their dorm. At this, Yoojung left her shared room with Chaeyeon and Doyeon and went straight to the living room, where the red-faced Nayoung was choking I.O.I's maknae to death.

"WHOA! Yah, Nayoung! Don't kill maknae she's still too young!" Chungha literally jumped into Somi's defense, "wait... why is your face so red?! Where's Pinky?"

"I'm here!" came the reply from the front door. All eyes in the room turned to Kyulkyung, whose face was flushed red and her eyes actually darted anywhere but any of the member. “Uhh… hello guys,” she greeted nervously.

"Pinky, is there something you and Nayoung aren't telling us?" The second oldest girl questioned.

The Chinese girl fiddled with the hem of her skirt before nodding, "We were about to tell you guys but... well, we kinda got distracted before coming here so...

Um, I just wanna tell you guys that Nayoung-unnie and I are dating now."

The silence in the living room was brief before Somi let out a huge squeal, "wow, congratulations! Like, finally!"

"Yeah, finally!" Sohye grinned, "I knew it! Mina owes me five bucks now!"

"What?" Nayoung raised an eyebrow, "wait, what do you guys mean, 'finally'?"

"Isn't it obvious?" Chungha shook her head, an amused smile on her lips, "we saw the way you two would look at each other when you thought no one was looking. We were wondering just when you would tell us."

"I gotta go and tell Sejeong-unnie about this!" Somi exclaimed excitedly, already sprinting into her room, "she owes me ten bucks!"

NaPink couple couldn't hide their surprises, "even you, maknae?!"

Yoojung smiled in amusement at the embarrassed couple and the loud squeals and shouts from the other member.

But she also noticed how Doyeon hadn't say a word since Somi's announcement, and the way she looked straight ahead while sideglancing at the couple, especially at their entangled hands.

Her eyes were clouded with pain.

 

It's been weeks since Nayoung and Kyulkyung announced their relationship. Everything went back to normal as if nothing had ever happened, except now the two lovebirds weren't even trying to hide their affectionate moments even in front of the members.

Doyeon, too, seemingly looked fine and as bubbly as she had always been. 'Seemingly', because Yoojung never missed how she would still occasionally side-glance at the couple, at a certain member in particular.

Yoojung wasn't the most observant in I.O.I, and probably in the universe, but sometimes she noticed things no one else did.

Like Doyeon's deep, hidden feelings for Kyulkyung.