CUT 1

I Don't Need A Man.

Luhan ushers the kids he’s in charge of into a room, the room where they normally take naps, and like usual, they run to their own spot and lie down immediately. Kids can be hard to handle sometimes but Luhan thanks God the ones under him are good children. They rarely give him a hard time.

The room is quiet and he expects everyone to be asleep now. There’s one that catches his attention, her back is facing him and he frowns a little.

“Soyeon-ah.”

He walks towards her and she looks up at him when he’s standing next to her. Luhan notices how she’s clutching onto her little pouch, the one she keeps her valuable stuffs in.

“I can’t sleep, mama.”

Luhan crouches. “Do you need me to sing you a lullaby?”

Soyeon shakes her head, her pigtails swing and almost hit Luhan in the face. “No.”

“Hmm, then what should we do?”

She smiles at him, the toothy smile he likes the most. “Can we draw?”

Luhan chuckles softly and ruffles her hair. “Sure, let’s go.”

 

 

They are in a separate room now, just the two of them. Everything seems so quiet, even the walk down the hallway. Ah, right, all the kids are taking a nap.

Soyeon runs to the cabinet to grab pieces of papers and her box of crayons. Then she returns to the small table Luhan is sitting at and sits next to him. She gives one piece of paper to Luhan and Luhan accepts it with a smile.

“We can share the crayons!” she says and Luhan laughs. “Alright.”

They draw in silence. Once in a while, Luhan will glance over to the little girl and he will see her concentrating so much on her drawing. He can also see where she gets her serious face from, her eyebrows furrowed in and her little pink lips pressed into a line.

He begins with his drawing too. He starts off with a soft outline and he’s thinking of drawing Soyeon, perhaps her side profile.

“I miss her,” Soyeon confesses suddenly and Luhan looks up from his paper. “I miss mama.”

Luhan knows she isn’t talking about him this time and he nods. “You remember how she looks like?”

Soyeon shakes her head. “I’ve never seen mama.” Luhan frowns. “But I have her picture, daddy gave it to me. And she appeared in my dreams.”

Luhan is about to say something when Soyeon grabs her little pouch. She opens it and takes a photo out. “She’s beautiful, like an angel,” the little girl says as she shows Luhan the photo of her mother. “Daddy says she’s an angel now.”

Luhan takes a good look at Soyeon’s mother and he nods. He agrees. She’s very beautiful. “I’m sure she is. She’s always looking after you and your sisters too.”

“That’s what Yixing tells us all the time,” Soyeon states with a smile before putting the photo away.

She focuses back on her drawing and Luhan realizes she isn’t drawing her mother at all. In fact, it’s a man. Ah, should be Sehun.

“You can’t sleep because you miss her?”

She shakes her head. “I don’t know. I’m afraid I’ll dream of her again.”

Luhan is confused and he reaches out to grab her tiny hand. She stops drawing and looks at him. “Baby, why are you afraid of dreaming about your mother?”

Soyeon looks like she’s about to cry. Luhan sees her lips trembling and she seems fidgety. “Because she’s not real. Dreams are not real.”

“Oh, baby…”

“People say daddy was lucky to have mama as his wife. People say Sojin and Sora are lucky to have mama as their mother. Soyeon doesn’t feel lucky at all.”

Luhan grabs both of her hands and he can feel tears welling up in his eyes. “Soyeon, listen to me, you are.”

“Soyeon didn’t get to see mama…”

“Come here,” Luhan orders and Soyeon goes to Luhan. He puts her on his lap and hugs her from the back, resting his chin on her shoulder. “You have your daddy, okay? And he loves you so, so much. You have your sisters and uncles too. They love you equally as much, baby—“

“I have you too, right?”

Luhan smiles, a tear escapes and slides down his cheek. “Yeah, you have me too.”

She struggles a little and when Luhan lets go of her, she slowly turns around and puts her arms around his neck. She yawns into his chest. “I’m sleepy now.”

He pats her back softly. “Okay.”

When he looks at her drawing one more time, he doesn’t fail to notice the word “Mama” next to the man.

 

 

 

A short update. I feel bad for not updating (it's been two weeks, yes?) and to be very honest I was busy in October and I will continue to be busy in November. Supposed to update last Friday (I had like two exams this Wednesday - physiology and chemistry my life but I had a study schedule and Friday was my break day).