Chapter 8 - Upbringing

His Heart of Ice, Her Heart of Gold

 

 

“Okay class so for this evaluation I'm going to have you split up in groups of four to five people and then we'll go from there. Chop chop everyone!” The dance instructor clapped his hands and students began shuffling around joining in groups with their friends.

 

Bom sighed when everyone spread away from her as if she were like a virus. She expected no less, it's not like she currently had the best of reputations at the moment. She was startled when a girl, followed by another girl and a guy sidled her way up to her and linked her arm with hers.

 

“Bom-unnie do you want to be in a group with us?” The girl smiled. Bom couldn't help but think of how adorable she was.

 

“Uh....sure?” she tilted her head as the four of them sat down and began to stretch. “How do you know my name?”

 

The shorter girl's eyes gleamed. “How can we not? Everyone knows what you did at Luhan-oppa's party on Saturday. While some people think it was foolish of you to stand up against THE Krystal Jung like that, to some of us you're our hero!” The other girl and guy nodded in agreement.

 

“H-hero?” Bom wanted to laugh at the audacity of it all.

 

The other girl nodded fiercely, her blonde hair bouncing. “That girl has always looked down on those of us who have yet to be chosen for Project Groups. She thinks she's better than everyone else.”

 

“Ah...”

 

“Oh where are my manners? My name is Lee HaYi! An aspiring singer.” The adorable girl stuck her hand out for a handshake to which Bom complied. She then gestured to the other two who sat beside her. “This is Lee Chanhyuk and Lee Soohyun. They're siblings... and genius composers.” Chanhyuk smiled brightly as he waved whereas his sister shyly lifted her hand.

 

Bom kindly smiled back and waved as well. “Nice to meet you two. I'm Park Bom... as you might already know. I'm an aspiring singer as well.”

 

“I hope you don't mind... we're not that skilled in hip hop. The three of us are usually stuck together during evaluations.” Bom merely shook her head. That didn't matter to her at all. She believed anyone could dance if they really tried.

 

The group's attention was caught when the instructor clapped his hands once more. “Okay everyone. Now that you've designated your groups I will be showing you the choreography that you will need to memorize. After two demonstrations you must work with your group to learn it or if you'd like, form a cohesive adaptation which you will be performing for the whole class and myself. You are allowed to change parts of the choreography but please try to keep to the original as much as possible. Pay close attention!”

 

Everyone focused on the instructor. Bom watched him like a hawk as he demonstrated the rather difficult combination. She briefly glanced at her group and saw the mix of determination and concern in their eyes. The dance came to a close and after the instructor performed it a second time he finally dismissed them to practice in their groups.

 

“So how confident are you all in your hip hop skills? Or I guess... dancing in general?” Bom started out. Might as well get straight to the point. The three looked at each other shyly and then back at her. No words needed to be said. The black-haired girl sighed and rested her chin on her knuckles as she thought of how to go about rearranging the choreography. Luckily for them Bom has had her share of dance experience having frequented several dance studios back in America. Her aunt felt that she should do some kind of extra-curricular activities in order to get her mind off of her past. By no means was she as good as the dance-crazed Minzy but tap, jazz, ballet, hip hop, you name it, she's tried it.

 

“Hmmm... how about this...?” Bom motioned for the others to lean in as she began to explain the idea she had for their dance number. They all nodded and were relieved that she had taken the reigns on this group evaluation. Once they began practicing Bom noted that this was definitely not going to be easy. HaYi, as adorable as she was, would continuously fall behind a beat, Soohyun was so shy she was afraid to dance boldly or put any kind of attitude into her moves, Chanhyuk however was a surprising breath of fresh air as he wasn't actually that bad. He acted silly at times, but Bom felt that she could use it to their advantage.

 

A whistle brought all of the sweaty and exhausted students to a halt as the teacher announced that it was time for their evaluated performances. The nervousness and anxiety hung in the air as everyone gathered in the front of the dance studio and sat up against the large mirror so that they were facing whomever was dancing. It only grew more tense when they saw that a camera had been set up by the instructor's chair for more detailed review after the class period was over.

 

A group of five girls were up first, their expressions were stiff with the fear apparent in their eyes. The instructor cued for the music and the familiar beat echoed from the speakers. Their performance went rather smoothly considering that they mainly stuck to the exact choreography that was given to them. It was clear they were focusing on dancing in unison with one another. The song came to an end and the instructor merely nodded his head as he scribbled a few notes onto the notepad in his hands. This continued as group after group went, some stumbling, some adding in a few impressive tumbling moves. HaYi's hand squeezed Bom's nervously. She simply looked over and gave her a reassuring smile.

 

When it was finally their group's turn, Bom swiftly got up while the rest shakily stood on their feet. They took their positions in front of their peers. Bom instantly felt the extra-judgemental stares she was particularly receiving but did her best to block them out. She took in a deep breath and closed her eyes. You can do this Bom, because you aren't Bom... you are Beyoncé. She chanted the comforting yet delusional mantra in her head as she awaited the music to begin. As soon as the first beat dropped her eyes snapped open, and a fierce persona took over her body.

 

She knew that with their varying skills and dancing abilities it would be difficult for them to perform completely in unison with so little time to practice so she took a separate route and chose to highlight each person at particular parts of the dance. Being so different from what everyone else had done, it was a huge risk but one she was willing to take for the sake of her team not looking like a discombobulated mess. Throughout the short dance number they each were given a moment to shine while the rest executed the choreography that was given to them. The class stared in interest at their unique way of approaching the choreography. The dance instructor's eyebrows raised in intrigue.

 

From HaYi's awkward rhythm to Soohyun's shy personality to Chanhyuk's goofy actions, they were all able to play them off as a part of their group's overall quirky charisma. When it finally came to Bom's part however, she let her inner Beyoncé out as she hit every beat with sharp movements. Challenging everyone judging her in that room with her dark orbs. Faint memories of what occurred at the party suddenly rushed into her thoughts, only fueling her drive. Deep down she wanted to prove that she wasn't one to take lightly. Flipping her long hair and running her hands across her body, the song finally came to an end with all four breathing heavily in their last poses. The instructor nodded as he looked down at his notepad, scribbling once more. “Not bad.”

 

That answer was good enough for them as the group looked at each other excitedly and high-fived each other as they sat down so the following group could go next.

 

Unnie that felt so good! I've never felt so confident doing any dance before.” HaYi happily giggled.

 

Yeah Noona, I've never been able to act like myself while performing before.” Chanhyuk added. “It was great!”

 

...thank you for not giving up on us unnie...” Soohyun softly spoke. “Most people try so hard to conform us to be able to dance as well as the others. But you... you let us be ourselves. I didn't think dancing could be so fun.”

 

Bom looked at the normally quiet girl with surprised eyes. Don't you cry... When the others stared at her, noticing her eyes watering and her face slowly twitching from trying to hold back her tears they burst out in laughter.

 

I don't get how some people can be so afraid of you unnie, you're too cute!” HaYi hugged the older girl from the side.

 

S-shut up!” Bom wiped at the corners of her eyes.

 

 

 

Meanwhile, a figure stood at the corner of the studio with a cellphone held up to his ear.

 

“Sir, I have something I'd like you to take a look at... I may have found what you're looking for...”

 

 

***

 

 

During the lunch break Bom wanted nothing more than to hit the showers before her next class. That evaluation made her work up quite a sweat and she at least wanted to rinse off a bit before changing back into her uniform from the loose tank top and track pants she was currently sporting. With her gym bag slung over one shoulder, the singer made her way to the girl's locker room.

 

She wasn't expecting the hands that reached around from behind her, covering and roughly tugging her from the hallway. She let out a scream but it was only muffled by the hand that was pressed against . A single through ran across her mind.

 

I'm too young to die!

 

 

***

 

 

Luhan sulked while looking at Bom with a sad puppy-dog look as he nursed his right hand.

 

You didn't have to bite me.”

 

Bom squinted her eyes and stuck her tongue out at the Chinese boy. “That's what you get for acting like a . I was only reacting in self defense. Who told you grabbing a girl from behind was such a good idea anyway?” She leaned back on the table she sat on and looked over the edge of the school's rooftop where the mischievous male had ended up dragging her kicking and screaming.

 

I'm lucky nobody saw us. I really could have been reported for ual harassment.”

 

Serves you right!”

 

...wow. What a cold girl.” Bom merely 'Hmph!'ed.

 

What did you want with me anyways?”

 

I came to talk about what happened at my party...” Bom raised a hand to silence him.

 

Look, you don't have to apologize. What happened that night wasn't your fault.” Bom rolled her eyes “If anything it's Kris' fault for not keeping his girlfriend in check.”

 

A serious expression spread across Luhan's face. “That girl is not Kris' girlfriend.”

 

She raised an eyebrow. “But Krystal said...”

 

“Don't believe everything that manipulative woman says.” He shook his head. “It's a part of her nature to spew lies for the sake of her own self-image. There's nothing going on in between them. Heck, Kris would probably jump off a cliff before committing his life to one girl.”

 

“What's he got against relationships... and girls for that matter?” Bom pondered deep in thought for a while, her eyes widened. “...is he gay?!” looking pretty convinced of herself.

 

Luhan's eyeballs nearly popped out of his skull. He burst out in a fit of laughter at the absurdity of her statement.

 

“Ahahahahaha!! Oh my god Bom... that's too good!” He clutched his stomach while bending over. “Poor Kris! Ahahahaha!”

 

“Well if it's not that, what IS his problem then?” Bom asked, scrunching up her face in puzzlement.

 

The boy held up a finger signaling he needed a moment to compose himself. He finally straightened himself but couldn't help the silly grin on his face.

 

“Now that... is kind of a long and complicated story.”

 

“Well considering you've gone through the trouble kidnapping me during my oh-so-important lunch hour I guess I could spare the time to listen.” She motioned for him to join her on the table while she pulled her knees up to her chest. The curly-haired male sighed as he took her up on her offer.

 

“I guess you could say it all started with Kris' family. As you may already know, Kris and I aren't from here, rather we're originally from China. Kris is also pretty well off, even compared to some of the rest of us in EXO. He comes from a family of successful business owners. His mother founded a well-known cosmetics line in China whereas his father is an appointed CEO of a Pharmaceutical company.”

 

Bom simply nodded as she listened. She knew these guys were rich but she didn't realize they were THAT rich...

 

“Growing up as an only child in a household of two breadwinners was hard on him. Kris spent most of his life with the servants and butlers of his home while his parents were out working until late. You could say the only love he received was from the maids who raised him. The separation not only affected him but it affected his parents as well. He watched his parents grow apart and treat each other not like a normal husband and wife should. As one would expect, there were fights... arguments... cheating accusations... you name it.”

 

“...Poor Kris... I can't imagine living in such an unloving environment...” Bom muttered. Luhan nodded as he continued.

 

“It only grew worse when Kris' father finally received the promotion to become an appointed CEO of the pharmaceutical company he was working for. Him taking the offer meant needing to move here to Korea and Kris' mother was not willing to leave her business behind for a man that she constantly fought with, not even for her own son's sake. It was almost an instantaneous decision that they proceed with a divorce. Kris wanted nothing more than to stay with his mother, but for future business endeavors his father fought hard to keep him under custody, to which he miraculously won.”

 

“How could a father do that to his own son?! He's just using him to keep the business in the family!”

 

“That's exactly how the industries work. There's a lot of manipulating in order to keep the cash flowing in. It sounds corrupt, but that's how the world works.” he shrugged.

 

“But what about music? He's attending this school isn't he? I thought he wanted to become an idol.” Bom inquired.

 

He does. It's been his dream ever since he was young. His dad doesn't agree however. He plans to have him take over his position when he retires so that he won't lose the business he painstakingly worked his way up to achieve. He's even tried to set Kris up with daughters and nieces of other esteemed businessmen in the medical industry. But knowing Kris, with his hateful impression of relationships and love, was quick to turn them down. So many women, younger and older have approached him with the sole intent of obtaining the money he's sure to inherit.”

 

Ah... so I guess that explains his attitude towards women.”

 

Yes... but there's more.”

 

More?” Bom blinked.

 

That day that you and he met for the first time... in the airport. He was definitely out of character that day. Despite his dislike of women he isn't normally that cruel to the girls who follow him.”

 

Are you saying that it's my fault that he was extra pissy?” The girl folded her arms across chest and huffed but Luhan shook his head.

 

No, not at all. You just happened to be at the wrong place at the wrong time.”

 

Ugh, story of my life.”

 

You see... Kris had just come back from visiting his mother in China. It was the first time in years that he had seen her and despite his cold demeanor it was clear he was excited to see her again. But... he wasn't exactly welcomed back like he had expected. That is... with just his mother alone.”

 

What do you mean?”

 

He came back to the news of his mother's new engagement. She was getting remarried to a man that was not his own father. As you can surmise from what he experienced as a child he took it none too well. And to put the icing on the cake... she was already pregnant with their first child. His to-be half sibling.” Bom gasped. “He was pretty devastated. It may seem immature of him but to him it felt as if his mother had completely forgotten about him once he left to Korea. She already has settled down to form a new family, without him. What cut him pretty deep was that she looked really happy. This of course lead to some arguments while he was over there... and eventually to him leaving under some pretty tense circumstances. And arriving to Korea in a pretty sour mood, which you experienced first-hand.”

 

Bom felt her heart breaking at hearing what Luhan had to say. To think that the cold-mannered and emotionless Kris had been through so much psychological trauma... much like herself.

 

I'm sure that wasn't his mother's intention. If she didn't love him she wouldn't have wanted him to visit like she did... She probably thought that it was great news to share with her first son.”

 

I'm sure that's true but for Kris it's hard for him to accept. His upbringing took a toll on him and all he really knows is deception and betrayal.” The black-haired girl let out a sniffle and used the edge of her tank top to wipe at her eyes. Luhan looked over at her with surprise.

 

Are you crying?” she quickly turned her head.

 

N-no... shut up!” Luhan merely chuckled and patted a hand on her shoulder.

 

A-anyways why are we talking about him? I thought you dragged me out here to apologize on your behalf, not his.”

 

Well... I came to do both, I guess.”

 

Why do you care if I hate the guy or not?” she looked at him skeptically.

 

I just wanted you to know the truth. The whole truth. Because I know for a fact that with Kris' huge ego he'd never do that himself. I don't want you to hate him for something that isn't his fault.”

 

You're still dodging my question...”

 

..Because he... you...” Luhan paused, unsure of whether or not he should say what was on his mind.

 

He... what?” Bom looked at the boy expectantly. Luhan just took in a deep breath and decided to go for it.

 

Kris li—”

 

Bang!

 

Both teens' heads whipped in the direction of the sound to see a straight-faced Kris standing in the rooftop doorway.

 

What's going on here?” He eyed the two sitting a little close to each other on the table. They both scrambled to their feet and placed some distance between each other.

 

Nothing! Nothing! Just a little talking.” Luhan smiled innocently.

 

Bom quickly gathered her things and with a soft “I should probably get going...” she started making her way to the doorway that Kris currently stood in. He stepped aside as she slowly approached him. Her eyes met with his briefly, and she stared at him with a sympathetic look. She looked away but jumped when she felt a large hand enclose itself around her wrist.

 

About Krystal... and everything... I'm sorry.” He said in his deep voice. Bom looked at him and then to Luhan. Normally, she would have angrily brushed him off, but after hearing what Luhan had to say she had a whole new impression of the tale male beside her. She merely replied with a nod and pulled her hand out of his grasp. He watched her leave and then turned to face the other boy. Luhan stared at him with a goofy, knowing grin.

 

What's that look for?” Kris squinted, annoyed.

 

Oh nothing...”

 

The guys have been asking where you've been and forced me to look for you. You can come with me and tell them that you were on your little rooftop date.” he said, a little too bitterly.

 

Do I sense some jealously?” Luhan waggled his eyebrows while wrapping an arm around the taller male.

 

Just shut up and go talk to them will you?” Kris rubbed the side of his temples.

 

Ohhkay Duizhang~”

 

***

Kris' past is finally revealed dun dun dunnnn! And does Luhan possibly ship Krisbom?? lol Just wait and see! This chapter came out a tad longer than the rest but hey, I'm not complaining (Are you?). It's a long weekend for me so I figured now would be a good time to update. I hope you all like it and please leave me your thoughts down below! ^^ I love you guys, you're the beeeest~