Chapter 10 - New Evolution

His Heart of Ice, Her Heart of Gold

Small note: I've decided to start calling the school president the school chairman because it seemed more appropriate. I apologize if that confuses anyone.

 


***

Everything felt so surreal.

 

Bom fidgeted nervously in her seat beside the other equally anxious girls. They watched with tense stares as the school chairman leaned across his desk and pressed a button on his telephone.

 

“Miss Kang could you please let my others guests in?” He spoke into the intercom. A soft “Nee” came in reply from the other end before the short conversation beeped to signal its end.

 

Bom's brow furrowed in confusion. Other guests?

 

Only a moment later did the four girls hear the office door open and close and were surprised to see the familiar faces of some of their teachers. Bom stared wide-eyed at her choir training instructor and even the dance instructor she had spoken to only a couple of hours ago. What are Song and Lee sonsaeng-nims doing here? Am I really not in trouble? Bom's brain wracked with paranoid thoughts. She leaned down and saw that the other girls were staring at their instructors with the same quizzical expressions as she. Each instructor walked over to the chairman's desk and handed him various folders and files. He nodded in gratitude as he quickly skimmed through them. Bom curiously lifted her head to try and get a peak at what he could possibly be looking at. She thought she could spot the school ID photos of her and the rest of the girls on several of the documents. Were those all the notes that their instructors had made about them? Once the chairman finished filing through the papers he looked up at the four girls who sat in anticipation.

 

“You girls may recognize these instructors. These people you see beside me have been working in this academy for years and each year they train and oversee hundreds of talented souls much like yourselves. I trust them and their judgment and take their opinions into deep consideration. Much like with these files I have before me they have been updating me on you girls' progress. I've seen and studied each and every one of your dance and singing evaluation tapes.” The chairman interlocked his fingers and rested his stubbled chin against them. “And I have to say I'm quite impressed. These instructors... they see real potential in you girls. As do I.”

 

The four girls glanced back and forth at each other in gradual realization of what he may be implying.

 

“Truth be told, I've been keeping my eye on you three for a while now.” The chairman spoke as he gestured towards the girls sitting beside Bom. “You three held your own special talents with your charismatic rapping, powerful dancing and unique fresh vocals. But as much as I had wanted to put you girls in a group I felt like something was missing.” His eyes turned to Bom, to which she straighten up subconsciously, causing him to chuckle lightly.

 

“And then you came along Miss Park Bom-sshi.” This comment made her brows rise. “I've heard nothing but positive things about you and your singing.” She nervously bowed her head and thanked him meekly.

 

“The icing on the cake was that you already knew these girls here. And once it was brought to my attention I knew it was meant to be. You know girls, it's easy to put together a group of talented teenagers and expect them to do exceptionally well. But when it comes to it, a successful group comes from a successful bond. When there isn't a solid form of communication between members those groups are at risk of failing... and sadly that can be followed by disbandment. You girls have that bond, that chemistry. So that is why I think you will truly succeed if you try hard enough.”

 

The girls stared stared at him with their mouths slowly dropping. Was he saying what they thought he was?

 

“So how about it girls? What say you become the next Project Group of Seoul Arts Academy?”

 

Bom's eyes nearly bugged out of her head as she felt herself jump to her feet, much like her friends next to her as they squealed excitedly and grasped each other's hands. The four girls hopped together into a sort of discombobulated group hug, not being able to contain their joy. The instructors standing to the side smiled at how elated the girls were.

 

“Omo omo! Us?! A project group!? Are you serious Mr. Chairman?” Chaerin asked excitedly, not really believing her ears.

 

The chairman chuckled, his wrinkled eyes looking at them with sincerity. “I am very serious ladies. I would never joke about a talented group that I believe can do very well.”

 

The four girl's mouths dropped and formed o's as they continued to squeal happily, but slowly tried to calm down and contain their excitement.

 

“So I guess I should take that as a yes then?” The amused chairman asked once the girls managed to pull themselves back together and settle down in their seats.

 

“It's a definite yes!!” Dara chirped happily.

 

“Absolutely! We'd be stupid to reject an offer like this.” Minzy added.

 

“Alright, well after this meeting I'll have to discuss a few things with your instructors here. With the commencement of this new group there are gonna have to be a few changes with your schedules.” The girls looked at him curiously. “Also I'll make sure to have them work with you girls outside of class with extra vocal and dance training.”

 

All four girls slowly nodded their heads. The idea of becoming a lot busier with more intense training was a bit overwhelming yet exciting.

 

“Well, then. I guess the next step would be to come up with a name for your new group. I shall leave it up to you girls. You can take your time to think it over if you'd like...”

 

Chaerin peered over at the other three girls and they all looked at each other with similar, knowing grins. These girls were close enough that they could practically speak to each other on a telepathic level. She nodded to them.

 

“I don't think we'll be needing that time to think it over Mr. Chairman.” Chaerin looked at him while smiling. “We've had a group name already planned for us for a while. Being in a girl group together like this has been our dream since we were young so we've had more than enough time to think about it.”

 

The chairman's eyebrows shot up in surprise. He found it quite interesting that these girls already knew what they wanted to be called. It seems they had a much deeper drive and determination than he originally thought.

 

“Alright, shoot. What would you girls like to be known as?”

 

Chaerin grinned with a look of confidence in her eyes. “Just call us 2NE1.”

 

 

***

 

 

“I can't believe it!!” Dara screamed ecstatically as she pumped her small fist into the air. “We're finally 2NE1! For REAL!” Chaerin laughed as she wrapped an arm around the slimmer girl's shoulders. The four friends chatted excitedly as they approached the gates to Seoul Arts Academy.

 

“We are the 'New Evolution'!” Bom stated aloud waving her hand across the air above them as if she were reading a billboard. She still had a slight limp to her walk, what with the incident the previous day. But the pain in her knees was gradually subsiding.

 

It was the next day of school and the news of a new Project Group having been formed spread like wildfire across the campus. Anyone and everyone was talking about it. The identities of the members had yet to be revealed as the Chairman typically would make the grand announcement the morning of the following day of discussing it with the group. So it was only a matter of time before everyone knew that these four friends were the new force to be reckoned with.

 

“Do you girls realize what this means?” Minzy spoke up.

 

“Hm?”

 

“We're competing face-to-face with f(x). They're officially our new rivals.”

 

Bom's eyes narrowed at the mention of f(x). She thought about Krystal and the horrible memory of that fateful party flashed in her mind. Minzy bringing this up brought on a realization and she was glad for it. This was the perfect chance to exact her revenge for the girl spilling alcohol all over her in front of all their peers. What better way than to prove that she was more than qualified to attend this school, despite having transferred part of the way through. She balled her hand into a fist and shook it.

 

“Let's do it. Let's beat them at the showcase!” The other three girls snapped their heads and stared at her in shock.

 

“Bom do you even know what you're saying? Do you realize how competitive that showcase is?” Minzy stared at her incredulously.

 

“Come on you guys. We can beat those girls in their frilly skirts and shorts.”

 

“But they have the upper hand, they're veterans of the showcase. They've performed on that stage numerous times whereas up until yesterday we could only dream about stepping on it.”

 

“Hey now what is that attitude about? Are we not the newest appointed Project Group? The chairman having chosen us must mean that we are at the level of being able to compete against those girls.”

 

The others shrugged in somewhat agreement.

 

 

***

 

 

Luhan was sitting on his desk when he perked up at the sight Bom and her friends finally arriving to their first class. He stood up and made his way over to her, conscious of a certain intense stare stabbing into his back.

 

“How are you feeling Bom?” Bom briefly stared at him cautiously before replying.

 

“I'm feeling fine now. Just a little bit sore but I should be back to normal in a couple of days.”

 

“That's great to hear.”

 

Dara peered in from over Bom's shoulder. “She also means to say thank you! You were a big help carrying her all that way to the infirmary.” She held up her hands in defense and shrunk back when Bom spun around and a shot a glare at her.

 

Luhan flashed them one of his blinding smiles. “It was my pleasure. Like I mentioned before, feel free to call on me anytime.” He smirked in Bom's direction and she rolled her eyes. Chaerin looked at Dara, completely lost of what was going on between the two. Dara shot her an 'I'll tell you later' look and she shrugged.

 

“Well if you don't mind... you're in the way of my seat.” Bom deadpanned at the boy. She had had enough of his flirtatious advances for one morning.

 

“Oh, right.” Luhan stepped out of the way and turned to make his way towards the back of the room where the rest of his friends were.

 

 

The classroom was filled with murmuring as students huddled amongst each other and conversed about the certain rumour that had been spreading that morning.

 

“Did you hear? There might be a new Project Group to be announced.”

 

“Seriously?? I thought I heard rumors about it walking to school today but I thought it was all made up.”

 

“Are you sure? I didn't know the Chairman was even looking...”

 

“I wonder what made him decide to form a new one all of a sudden amidst this school year? Have you noticed any people greatly improving?”

 

“No... but there is that transfer girl who suddenly showed up...”

 

“That Park Bom? Nah, it can't be.”

 

Bom sat stiffly in her desk hearing every word they had to say. All the comments like little needles pin-pricking at her skin. She fidgeted in her seat with her fingers playing at the hem of her skirt. Oh how she could just bolt up and yell at everyone to just shut up. The announcement was going to be made soon enough, couldn't they just wait instead of running their mouths? She glanced over at Dara who sat in the desk beside her. On her face was an expression of both anxiousness and excitement. Chaerin looked pretty confident and happy with herself. Like it was only a matter of time before they were recognized for their talents. Bom liked to think she was that confident but she wasn't nearly as brave as the charismatic Lee Chaerin.

 

 

“I wonder if there really is going to be a new Project Group announced today. It's what everyone has been talking about all morning.” Suho said aloud. “Even the young ladies who followed me to class this morning couldn't stop whispering about it.”

 

“I'm just as curious. It's kind of exciting to think that there's going to be more of 'us' in this school. I wonder if they'll be some serious competition. I always enjoy a challenge.” Lay said pointedly while flexing his muscles. The others just shook their heads.

 

“What do you think Kris-ge?” Lay turned to face the member with the rigid expression.

 

“...sound interesting.” Was his simple answer. Luhan just nodded his head. As expected of ice prince.

 

“Well I guess we will be finding out if these rumors or true or not soon enough.” Just as Luhan finished his statement Choi sonsaeng-nim entered the room and hushed the class to settle down. For once all of the students in the class were eager to sit in their seats and patiently await what was to come. The instructor raised an eyebrow to this as he reached into his briefcase to pull out his roll sheet.

 

“I need to get through this quickly. I believe a special announcement will be being made in about...” He glanced at his watch. “Three minutes.”

 

The sounds of students rustling anxiously in their seats was heard throughout the room as they all glanced at each other with wide, excited eyes. Some whispers of “It's true!” and “I told you”s could be heard amongst the teenagers.

 

Just as the instructor completed his roll call a long, alarming beep was heard from the from the large speaker mounted against the front of the classroom. Suddenly the familiar voice of the academy's school chairman spoke in a very stern and business-like tone. Bom found it a vast difference from the kind, elder she spoke to just the day before.

 

“Good morning everyone, I hope you are all doing well and working hard to achieve your dreams. This is your chairman speaking. As you may all know, this academy has been bustling with rumors of a new Project Group having been formed and I just wanted to announce that those rumors are indeed... true.”

 

The room grew a bit rowdier as the excitement filled the air. Bom stared intensely at the inanimate speaker as she tightly gripped a pencil in her hand, causing her knuckles to turn white. She jumped slightly when she felt Dara's delicate hand on top of hers reassuringly. She gave her a sheepish smile and thanked her with her gaze.

 

“Let me just start by saying that this new addition to the Project Group line-up will be a girl group.” More enthusiastic chatter filled the room along with a few cat-calls and whistles. “I've been intently watching this group for quite some time and now in recent events I can finally say they are ready to face the challenges of the professional world through their training.” The three older members of the group sat sweating at their desks, even Chaerin was beginning to appear a little anxious about it all. Bom wondered how Minzy must be fairing in her own classroom. The poor thing was all by herself probably nervous as hell.

 

“Please give a round of applause to the following students who have shown great prowess and potential. Miss Park Bom, Miss Sandara Park, Miss Lee Chaerin and Miss Gong Minzy. I hope that everyone will please join me in welcoming 2NE1!!! The 21st century girls who will be bringing a 'New Evolution' to the girl group image.”

 

“MWOH?!”

 

“EHHHHHH?!”

 

“No way!!!”

 

The room was now in an uproar. The sound of rapid footsteps could be heard as students from neighboring classrooms clamored by the door to catch a glimpse at the newly appointed Project Group. The three girls, in an almost robotic manner, turned around in small increments gradually taking in the varying shocked expressions from their peers. Some stared with amazed expressions while some weren't so accepting. There were definitely a few bitter glares from some of the members of the EXO fanclub as well as some who were f(x) fanboys.

 

 

“Holy ...” Baekhyun stated flatly. He turned his head and looked at his friends with his mouth gaping open. They stared back at him with equally astounded looks on their faces.

 

Kris felt himself focusing an intense stare at the now flustered Bom. He had to say that he was utterly shocked to hear the news of a new group but he wasn't entirely surprised that it was them. He knew there was something special about her ever since that day he had listened in on her singing in the empty piano room all those days ago. Bom's eyes locked with his gaze and he saw her doll-like eyes widen a fraction. He smirked in her direction which made her tear her gaze away, a slight pink tinge appearing on her cheeks. The blonde leaned back in his seat, grinning smugly to himself. Alright. Let's see what you've got, Park Bom.

 

 

***

 

 

Bom entered the dance studio to the various stares and brushed them off. She had expected no less after the big announcement. She nearly fell over when the tiny form of HaYi barreled into her chest and wrapped her arms around her waistline.

 

“Yah! Be careful! Noona is still injured!” Chanhyuk warned to the girl as he and his sister approached them.

 

“I can't help it! I'm just so happy and excited for Bommie-unnie. I can't believe she's in the NEW Project Group AHHHHH!!” The blonde girl squeezed the girl tightly, making it difficult for her to breathe. Seeing Bom struggling, Chanhyuk and Soohyun stepped forward to help her out but she merely held up a hand letting them know she could handle it.

 

“Thanks HaYi...” she slowly pried the girl from her body. “I'm glad to see that you're happy for me and don't hate me...”

 

The smaller girl's eyebrows shot up. “Hate you? Why would I ever hate you?”

 

“Well, you did talk about Project Group members being pompous and think they're better than everyone else...”

 

HaYi waved her hand, “Oh psh! Project Group members that are like Krystal, yeah. But she was born arrogant way before she was placed in any group. You're different unnie. You cared about us.” The two siblings beside her nodded. “We're routing for you!!” The three of them held up their fists in a 'Fighting!' pose. Bom smiled gratefully and wrapped the three in a big group hug.

 

“Oh Bom, you've made it. You're just the person I wanted to see.” Instructor Lee made his way to the four embracing teens. “The chairman asked that I you to the studio.”

 

Bom tilted her head in confusion, “But I am in the studio...”

 

“Oh no, starting today you'll be partaking in one of the advanced dance classes. It'll help in your preparations for the showcase.”

 

A frown spread on her lips, “You mean... I won't be in this class anymore?” She turned and looked at the heartbroken expressions on her friends' faces.

 

“I'm afraid not. But it's for your own good Bom. Come, let's go shall we?” The dance instructor gestured towards the door. Bom faced the others and stared at them regretfully.

 

“You can do it Noona!” Chanhyuk encouraged in order to cheer her up.

 

“Yeah! Kick in your new class. I believe in you!” HaYi exclaimed.

 

“We'll be right behind you Unnie! Work hard and beat f(x) for us!” chirped Soohyun. Bom grinned and after giving them a thumbs-up she waved goodbye and allowed Instructor Lee to lead her to the new studio.

 

 

“Here we are.” The instructor paused before frosted glass door of the dance studio. Bom was apprehensive as he slowly pushed it open. She had barely been able to make the few friends she had in her intermediate class as it is. Despite usually liking being left alone, the idea of being isolated in a dance class again frightened her.

 

Clutching her duffle bag strap in her hands, she took a step into the room. Fear quickly instilled itself in her veins. The plus side, there were several familiar faces. The down side, they were EXO and f(x) members. She searched the inner chambers of her brain to remember the names of the members she saw. Kai was it? And that platinum blonde next to him is...Sehun? Hmm I think that happy-looking one is Lay. She spotted two girls, one tall and slender, the other slightly shorter and more toned, staring at her intently. Ah... that is Victoria and... Luna?

 

Bom was about to let out a vexed sigh when suddenly...

 

“UNNIE!!” A pair of arms wrapped themselves around her shoulders as she was embraced in a tight hug. What was with today and hugs? Bom inclined her head to see who it was.

 

“Omo Minzy?! Thank God you're in this class.” Bom wanted to cry in jubilation. The younger brought the older girl over to where she had laid her things down so that she may set her stuff down as well. They sat together stretching as they chattered excitedly about how great it was that they had a class together.

 

“Woah.... daebak.” Bom stared mesmerized as she watched Victoria stretch as if her limbs were like taffy. Seeing her grab her foot and being able to pull it behind her all the way up to her head in a scorpion pose had Bom cringing on the inside, it looked so painful. She flicked her eyes to look at Minzy with a face that read “How am I supposed to compete with people like that?” The younger girl just giggled.

 

“Don't worry unnie, I'm here to help you with anything you may have trouble with. You have nothing to worry about.”

 

The black-haired girl glanced behind her to see the three EXO members looking fixedly at her. Maybe they were just waiting to see if she'd mess up at some point? She gulped as she returned to face Minzy.

 

“I wonder about that...”

 

 

***

 

I've finally broken 100 subscribers for the very first time on any fanfic I've ever written!!! YAYYYY~ I just want to thank every single one of you who have been supporting me, leaving me your thoughts and upvoting all this time. I'm so glad that there are people enjoying this story and I don't wish to disappoint you in the future. Here's to more chapters and more stories and more Bom shipping love! <3

 

On another note I have just started a new Krisbom/Lubom fic very recently so I would appreciate it if you gave it a chance and saw what the description has to offer! It's kind of Halloween-y/Fantasy-themed (As of right now I am about halfway through writing the first chapter so it should be posted fairly soon) Check it out here!