Chapter 3 - Cafeteria

His Heart of Ice, Her Heart of Gold

 

 

 

Passing students whispered as they saw the commotion between the tall expressionless boy and the flabbergasted new girl.

 

Kris wasn't liking the attention they were garnering from other students who were walking by, he didn't want any rumours to spread. He quickly grabbed her arm and tugged her in the direction of an empty hallway lined with lockers.

 

“Hey. L-let go of me you giant!” Bom struggled and desperately tried to break free from his grasp. He only let go once he had her backed up into a corner with her back facing the lockers. Bom glared up at him.

 

“What's the big deal dragging me out here?”

 

“I just didn't want to get everyone's attention any more than we already had.” Kris replied simply, his face unwavering.

 

Bom was put a little put off by the tall male's lack of emotion. “What are you doing here?” She asked cautiously.

 

Kris looked up slightly and sighed. “What do you think genius? If you couldn't tell from the uniform, I go to this school.” his gaze averted back to her petite form. “What's your excuse? What are you doing on my territory, foreigner?”

 

The girl narrowed her eyes in anger. “Well I thought it was pretty obvious my dear classmate, I'm attending this school starting today...whether you like it or not.” She then placed her hands on her hips. “And I'm not a foreigner. My name is Park Bom and I was born here but I was studying abroad in America, you .”

 

Kris's gaze turned cold at her comment. How dare this ...

 

“The name is Kris. Not .” he seethed through his teeth.

 

“Whatever. You know you should really stop with the stiff expressions. It might make people like you more.” Bom quipped sarcastically with a small grin adorning her lips.

 

The blonde felt his blood begin to boil but regained his composure.

 

 

A sly smirk formed on his lips as he slowly inched closer to Bom. She grew nervous and felt sweat dropping down the back of her neck. She slid backwards as Kris drew closer and whimpered lightly when she felt the cold locker press up against her back.

 

Kris paused when their faces we mere centimeters apart. Bom bit her lip nervously.

 

“I don't know if you haven't noticed but uh.. lots of women already throw themselves at me. I'm afraid if I actually smiled like you suggested... you might even fall for me too. Are you sure you're prepared for that?” He whispered huskily in her ear.

 

Bom felt her face heat up considerably and just knew her face was beet red.

 

“I-In your dreams...” she stammered.

 

Kris chuckled lightly and straightened himself back up. “Whatever you say, princess.”

 

Bom could feel her own temper begin to flare. “Don't call me princess.” She went back to glaring at him. “As if I'd ever fall for a stiff, heartless robot like you.” She spat.

 

“Woah woah... calm down. No need to be so defensive. The last thing I'd want, myself, is for someone like you to start fawning over me as well.”

 

This conceited bastard. Bom thought angrily. “Well at least we can agree on something.”

 

From now on try your best not to cross paths with me. It would probably be best if we never run into each other ever again. Two times is more than enough.” Kris stated in a cold tone.

 

Bom looked at him indignantly and scoffed. “Consider it a deal. Now if you'll excuse me Stiff I have another class I need to go to.” The ombre-haired girl pushed past the towering blonde, leaving him alone to his thoughts.

 

Tch. Whatever.” Kris merely stuffed his hands in his pockets and proceeded to head to his own class.

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

Bom sat on the dance floor of her second class for the day. She was able to make it just in time no thanks to the emotionless-yet-still-somewhat-angry-looking blonde that stopped her in the halls. Right now the dance instructor was just explaining how the class would work throughout the school year. As it was only the first day of school, no one was expecting to be doing any dancing or singing straight away. The instructor read off a list of what the students were going to need: comfortable dance attire, sneakers, water bottles, towels, etc. etc.

 

Every month we will be having an evaluation to see how much you have improved...” He just continued to drawl on and Bom's mind drifted elsewhere.

 

I wonder what the girls are doing right now... I haven't even gotten to see Minzy yet today. Bom almost regretted not accepting Dara and Chaerin's offer to show her around. Then maybe she wouldn't have run into him. Kris's handsome face briefly flashed in Bom's mind causing her to shake her head. Only a couple more classes Park Bom. Then you get to see the rest of the gang at lunch.

 

Speaking of lunch. Bom pressed her hand against her stomach to feel it growl slightly. What she wouldn't do for a platter of corn and watermelons right now.

 

The class continued with the instructor explaining the expectations for the year and Bom blanking out into her own world.

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

“Unnie!! You made it!” A young girl with short black hair exclaimed as she wrapped Bom in a tight hug after spotting her enter the cafeteria.

 

“Of course I made it Minzy-ah. Why wouldn't I?” Bom giggled.

 

“Well uh... you tend to get lost easily and everything so I figured...”

 

“It's only happened a few times!” Bom defended.

 

“Yeah, maybe only in the last month.” Chaerin teased. “And that's just from what you've told us through messages. Who knows how many other incidents you've had that you didn't tell us about.” Bom pouted in response.

 

The group of four sat down together after grabbing their lunches. Bom drooled at the sight ready to dig in at any moment.

 

“You really haven't changed one bit Bommie.” Dara laughed. “Even when we were younger you had such an insatiable appetite. And I see your love of corn hasn't changed either.”

 

“I'sh gai gahore I shta loaahing karr. (I'd die before I stop loving corn)” Bom managed as she pressed a corn cob to . Her friends just giggled at her antics.

 

 

The girls were startled out of their conversations when a flurry of feminine squeals emanated from the cafeteria entrance and a considerably large crowd of female students came stampeding in, surrounding something or someone. Bom turned her head to see what all the commotion was about.

 

“What's going on? Is there some kind of event going on?” She asked while proceeding to take another bite out of her corn.

 

“You could say that.” Dara replied. “It always seems like an event when they come together as one.”

 

They?”

 

You know, the ones we were telling you about this morning—EXO.” the brunette explained.

 

Ahhh... okay.”

 

Yeah and now that all of them have gathered together. Their fan club is having a field day.” Chaerin added.

 

Oh riiiight. You said a couple of them were younger huh?”

 

Yup. If you look over there. The one who's slightly more tan is Kai and the one with the slim face and sharp chin is Sehun. They're Minzy's age.” Dara pointed out. “They're both rappers and dancers for their group.”

 

Rappers? Dancers? Group??” Bom tilted her head curiously. “You make them sound like a band.”

 

Well they essentially are.” Minzy said. “It's a system that Seoul Arts Academy runs. Instructors and advisers report to the school president about students they've seen who have great potential and they form 'Project Groups' that have great chances of debuting soon after they graduate.” Bom merely nodded in understanding as the younger girl continued. “There are quite a few Project Groups that have been formed in this school already. EXO being one of them of course.”

 

Grouping those boys together was kind of a no-brainer for the school.” Dara said.

 

How so?”

 

Well most of those guys have known one another since they were practically in diapers. They're all from well-to-do families that are all close with each other and have close business ties. Since they're such good friends, they obviously work well together which is perfect for a new boy band.”

 

Even the Chinese members who haven't been here as long are just as close as those who have been here their whole lives.” Chaerin added.

 

There are Chinese members too? What a multifaceted group.”

 

Yeah. There's four of them. The one over there with the pretty face and deer eyes, don't let him fool you. His name is Luhan and he's one of the oldest members, he can also be kind of a playboy. The one who kinda of looks like he's constantly off in his own world is Lay. The sleepy-looking one with the panda eyes is Tao. And finally the tallest and silent brooding one is Kris.” Dara explained as she pointed to each one.

 

Bom choked and nearly spit out her food. “Did you just say Kris?!”

 

Yeah, why?” Dara tilted her head curiously.

 

N-nothing.” Bom looked over her shoulder and surely enough there he was sitting casually on top of the cafeteria table not looking particularly interested in anything. That Kris guy is one of them? And he's Chinese? What hypocrite... calling me a foreigner.

 

“So that's why the school president has high expectations for EXO. The deep bond they've shared for years is the secret to their potential success as idols.”

 

“What? Aside from their good looks, talent, confidence, and already flourishing fan base?” Bom joked sarcastically.

 

“....yes.” Dara paused and for a moment the four girls glanced at each other before breaking out into giggles.

 

 

 

Across the cafeteria Chanyeol's ears perked up at hearing a familiar angelic voice giggling even amongst the chatter of the all the fan girls that surrounded them. He sighed dreamily.

 

“Aish... look at this lovesick puppy.” Baekyun said as he ruffled the red-haired boy's hair.

 

“Hmm... Dara, Chaerin and even Minzy seem to already have been friends with that Park Bom girl. I wonder how they know her.” Chen inquired.

 

“Beats me. I hear that before she studied abroad she actually lived here in Korea. Maybe they've known each other for a long time.” Xiumin assumed. Several others nodded their heads at the possibility.

 

Kris couldn't help but listen in at the mention of Bom's name. His eyes drifted across the room and spotted said girl's obvious and brightly-colored hair. Why did he always find himself looking at her?

 

 

 

Bom felt an intense stare at the back of her head and turned around to hoping to find what it was that she was sensing. She felt her heart thump heavily when she locked eyes with Kris' smoldering gaze. Heat rose to her cheeks. She wanted to look away but she was trapped in his dark orbs.

 

The blonde male felt his own heart skip a beat when Bom turned her head and made eye contact with him. He couldn't help the smirk forming on his face when she appeared to be getting flustered.

 

Close by, a Kris-biased fan girl excitedly captured the rare expression on the boy's face onto her phone. She wondered what he was looking at that made him make such an alluring face. Following the direction of his gaze she gasped. The girl turned to another girl standing next to her.

 

“Hey! Isn't that the girl who knocked over Kris-oppa at the airport?!” She whispered harshly.

 

“Eh where??” The other girl's eyes widened. “It is! She has the same hair as that foreigner. What is she doing here at our school?!” The other shrugged angrily.

 

 

“Omo oppa!” The first girl exclaimed aloud for everyone to hear. “Isn't that the who ran into you and swore at you when you came back from China?” she pointed in Bom's direction. The rest of the EXO members' heads shot up and they immediately looked to where the girl was pointing.

 

. Kris cursed mentally.

 

No ing way..” Luhan said when he realized who they were referring to. A humorous grin spread across his face.

 

 

Bom felt the color drain from her face when a girl standing next to EXO glared in her direction, babbled about the airport incident and then proceeded to point straight at her. She wasn't exactly using an inside voice that's for sure...

 

Unnie... what is she talking about...?” Minzy asked, stunned at the sudden exclamation. Dara and Chaerin also stared dumbfounded at Bom.

 

The ombre-haired girl tensed up and bit her lip apprehensively. She looked around to see that most of the cafeteria's attention was now on her. Various shocked, amused and enraged expressions were directed at her.

 

...

......

 

There went all of her hopes of having a peaceful life at this school.

 

 

 

***

 

Dun dun dun! I'm on a roll with this story but we'll see how long that lasts. >_<; I always get so enthusiastic at first and can't stop writing and then I tend to fizzle out... However, all of your support has encouraged me and inspires me to write more! So happy to see there are others just as delusional about this pairing as I am haha. :P Please excuse any errors, let me know what you think and I'll see you all in the next chapter!