Chapter 4 - Escape

His Heart of Ice, Her Heart of Gold

 

 

Bom felt her heart racing in her chest but tried her best to appear unphased by her current predicament.

 

“It's her isn't it??” The accusing girl squawked. The blonde-haired boy said nothing in reply.

 

“She's the reason you were all pissy that day I came to pick you up?” Tao asked with a surprised look on his face. However Kris remained silent and indifferent.

 

“Dude, that's hilarious! I can't believe it was her all along!” Sehun laughed.

 

“Wait what did she do? What happened to hyung at the airport? I wanna know!” D.O. whined cutely while tugging at Sehun's sleeve.

 

Sincerely appearing not to care about the situation at all, Kris only glanced towards the floor. Always as cold as ever.

 

 

 

Not being able to withstand the atmosphere any further(despite being the cause of it) Bom calmly stood up and began gathering her things from the lunch table. Everyone including EXO watched her every movement with curiosity.

 

“We should probably go...” she said in a low whisper towards the others. They all nodded, still bewildered as to what was going on, and began gathering their own things as well. As they started walking towards the cafeteria entrance the crowd of students parted like a wave, staring intensely at the four.

 

“Wait! Where do you think you're going?” A voice amongst the sea of fans shouted.

 

“Get back here you owe our oppa an apology!”

 

“You wench get back he—”

 

“Shut up.” came a growl.

 

Girls turned their heads and looked at Kris with shocked and hurt expressions on their faces. He was so cold and emotionless only moments ago, why the sudden change of heart? Why for her?

 

“But Kris-opp—”

 

“Cut it out. Just leave it alone.” he combed a hand through his hair. Despite the serious situation, some girls didn't miss out on the opportunity to capture the action on their cameras. These girls were relentless.

 

The rest of the EXO members stared at him in shock with their mouths agape. Kris typically wasn't a man of many words (they considered this many words for him). Especially around large crowds. And the fact that he essentially protected someone—a girl no less—was something that was considered unfathomable when it came to Kris's personality.

 

By the time things had calmed down around the twelve boys Bom, Dara, Chaerin and Minzy were long gone.

 

 

***

 

 

“Urgh...” Bom grumbled as she plopped down on a bench outside the school and laid herself across it. Her friends eyed her conspicuously.

 

“Uh... do you plan on telling us what the hell that was all about?” Chaerin was the first to speak up.

 

Bom rolled onto her side and pursed her lips. “I don't really want to...”

 

“Now that I can recall...that crazed fan mentioned you being at the airport...” Minzy began, the maknae slowly beginning to piece things together.

 

Dara's eyes widened. “Bommie. You don't mean to tell me that the guy you bumped into at the airport was....?”

 

“..Kris?!” Chaerin finished.

 

Bom merely groaned as she sat back up.

 

“Why didn't you tell us?”

 

“It's not like I knew! Well I didn't know who he was at the time and it's not like I purposely tried to bump into him like some lame scene out of comic book.” Bom defended while flailing her arms about.

 

The others shook their heads.

 

“Honest! I barely found out that it was him after we bumped into each other again...”

 

“Again??? Why are there so many things that you aren't telling us?” Minzy crossed her arms across her chest and gave the older girl a stern look. “Spill.”

 

Bom sighed and then proceeded to explain the incident from that morning and how she and Kris had made a deal to ignore each other but before the school day could even end someone who had recognized her ruined it all.

 

 

 

“I don't see the big deal. We ran into each other before school started. So what? Everybody's getting their all bunched up over nothing.”

 

“That incident became way more than nothing once it involved an EXO member. Not to mention your unfiltered mouth that you have difficulty controlling probably didn't help much either.” Dara stated while rolling her eyes. “You do realize that you have unleashed the Kraken in the form of an angry fan base of psychopathic high school girls.”

 

Bom groaned once again as she dropped her face into her hands.

 

 

***

 

 

“Man, that was some crap that went down at lunch today wasn't it?” Baekhyun said to D.O. They both sat in a choir room awaiting the start of their vocal training class.

 

“Yeah... no one still really explained to me what happened between Kris-hyung and Park Bom.” The shorter male pouted.

 

“I'm a little fuzzy on the details too but from what I can guess from the rumors and Kris's unusually high temper today, Bom really let him have it when they ran into each other that day he came back from his vacation.”

 

“Oh man. I bet that really didn't help his mood considering what he had just come back from...”

 

“Tell me about it.”

 

 

Just then the front door squeaked open and Baekhyun gestured to it with his chin causing D.O. to lean over and see what was going on.

 

A familiar brown/fuschia head peeked its way through the front door. Large doll-like eyes scanned the area and eyebrows shot up when they vaguely recognized Baekhyun and D.O.'s faces. Soon after, Bom in her entirety slowly slithered into the room with her gaze cast downwards. She pretended not to have noticed the two boys sitting together.

 

 

Bom wanted to cry on the inside. Why did it have to be twelve boys? That's way too many. Of course she was bound to run into at least one of them in some of her classes.

 

Sitting as far away from the two EXO members as possible, Bom fidgeted nervously as she waited for the class to begin. Her eyes practically bore holes into the wall clock. Soon enough her prayers were answered when a middle-aged woman with her graying hair tied up in a loose bun and spectacles resting on the tip of her nose walked in carrying a manila folder.

 

“Good afternoon class. I hope that your first day of school is going well so far and I welcome you to my vocal training class. My name is Mrs. Song.” She began pulling out sheets of paper from the folder she had carried in. “Today I'd like you all to have a little vocal warm up so I can get a feel for what your capabilities are.” The class grumbled a bit having to actually do some kind of work on their first day.

 

“Hmm let me take a look-see at my roster here. Ah! I see I have some of our esteemed EXO boys in our class this year.” This comment garnering a few excited squeals from the class.

 

“D.O.-sshi. If you would please stand up, I would like you to sing a line—any line at all. Preferably one that showcases what you believe to be your strengths in singing are. Also, keep it relatively brief. I'd like to give everyone in the class a chance.”

 

The dark-haired boy replied with a curt “Ne sonsaeng-nim.” and stood up. He took a couple deep breathes and began singing.

 

I don't know why, this unconditional emotion

Did I ever imagine?

Next to me, you shine more brightly as I become a better guy

 

I lost my mind, the moment I saw you

Except you, everything get in slow motion

Tell me, if this is love

Sharing and learning countless emotions every day with you

Fighting, crying and hugging

Tell me, if this is love

 

After he finished the entire class clapped as well as the instructor.

 

“Very nice job D.O.-sshi. You were bold to start off immediately with that high note. I am quite impressed.” D.O. gave an adorable grin as he sat back down proudly. Baekhyun patted his friend on the back.

 

 

“Okay next is..... Miss Park Bom.”

 

Bom flinched. She hated being one of the first people to participate in anything. She let out a shaky breath as she slowly stood up.

 

The two EXO boys' attention perked up and they watched the transfer student in anticipation. There had to be a reason that she was able to transfer to such an exclusive academy.

 

Bom took in a long deep breath and slowly closed her eyes as she exhaled. Losing herself in the lyrics, she began to belt out the notes to the best of her ability.

 

The love of my youth is ending like this

Please be happy even after a long time passes,

Let's both remember that we both had each other back then

 

We both had each other back then...

 

Bom slowly opened her eyes feeling a bout of anxiety when she didn't hear any sort of response from her classmates or the teacher. She gingerly looked around to see that everyone was staring her with astonished looks on their faces—Baekhyun and D.O. included. Finally, she heard clapping coming from the front of the room.

 

“Wow... Miss Park Bom-sshi that was beautiful. It was quite brief indeed but in that short moment I could sense all the emotion in your voice. You have a unique soulful voice that you don't see often around here. I'll have to keep an eye on you.”

 

Bom blushed in embarrassment. “Thank you sonsaeng-nim.” she sat back down.

 

“Alright, who's next?”

 

 

 

***

 

I hope you all enjoyed this chapter. I know not much happened and I apologize. I just love seeing Kris in his "cold guy" persona. :P Share your thoughts below. Thank you all for waiting so patiently and I will see you guys next time!
(In case you weren't sure the characters were singing lines from were EXO's “What is Love” and 2NE1's “Missing You”)