Remorse

Heartless

 “I love you, I miss you, I hate you..”

 

That was great, Minji.” Jaejoong complimented through the studio mic. He felt goosebumps just listening to the emotion in her voice. He gave her a thumbs up and she smiled timidly. “You're improving every time.”

 

Is she really?” Junhee rolled her eyes with jealousy. Jaejoong turned around and shot her a look to which she cowered in fear over. Ahran laughed and gave him a smile.

 

Alright, that's it for today.” Jaejoong announced as Minji left the soundproof room, “See you guys next time.”

 

The girls said their respective good byes and went off to rest. Minji waited around for Jaejoong who was picking up his notes and music sheets. Here.” She handed him a chilled canned coffee she bought when she went to the washroom five minutes ago.

 

What's this for?” He asked, taking the dark brown labelled drink from her hands. He rolled in between his hands before cracking the top open. He took a sip of the drink and instant bitter sweetness washed over his tongue.

 

N-Nothing really.” She coughed and turned the other way due to embarrassment. He smiled brightly and placed her in a head lock.

 

Aw, you're finally being nice to me.” He tousled her hair despite her cries. “Are you warming up to me now?” He played with her hair even more. She shoved him off and glanced at her reflection in the glass to see her perfectly tied hair poof up in a ball. She glared at him and he held his stomach. “I like that hairstyle on you more than when you have your hair down.”

 

I'm leaving.” She frowned and went on her way.

 

Before you go to your nap, meet me at the staircases.” He jokingly called after just as she shut the door. She didn't respond, but he assumed she'll meet him there. He glanced to the white shopping bag he placed next to his jacket and found himself smiling at it.

 

~-~-~

 

Oh, you're actually here.” He said as he saw her down the stairs. “I thought you'd run away or something.”

 

Even if I were to run away, you'd find me sooner or later.” She shrugged and met him at the end of the case. “ What did you want to see me for?”

 

He smiled and handed her the bag he held behind his back. “Why don't you take a look.”

 

What is it?” She asked curiously and peeked inside. The North Face logo was what she saw. “I can't – “

 

Try it on. I want to see how it looks like.” He motioned her to take the jacket out. She pulled out the bomber jacket and cautiously examined it. “The weather is getting colder so I thought this would be best. It's almost your birthday anyways.” He said, taking the jacket from her and helping her put it on. “I knew it. It looks good on you.” He smiled.

 

She looked down at how perfectly it fit her and bit her lip to prevent herself from smiling. Why is he doing this? She wondered as he zipped up her jacket.

 

Happy early birthday in case I might not be around.” He patted her head.

 

I can't accept – “

 

When someone gifts you something, say thank you and leave it at that. Don't question why.”

 

But why?” She mumbled and he leaned in close while pinching her cheeks.

 

Aish, didn't I say not to question it.” He tugged on them and tapped his forehead on hers. “ Enjoy it, little sheep.”

 

~-~-~

 

Yes, I pulled up in your drive way. May I come in?” Jaejoong asked, putting his car in park. He switched his phone to his other ear and proceeded to get out of his car.

 

Please come in.” A man with short brown hair answered from the front porch of a modern white house. Jaejoong got out of his car and followed the man in.

 

Thank you for letting me come over after a short notice, Coach Shin.” Jaejoong said as he was seated in the dining table. He looked around the interior of the house to see infant toys, diapers and clothes scattered all over the white leather sofa and the marble flooring. “Where's the baby?”

 

Oh, he's sleeping.” Wonbin came over with two glasses of water in hand. He seated himself in front of Jaejoong and took a sip of water. “So, what did you want to see me for today?”

 

I wanted to talk about one of your past students.” Jaejoong said with a laugh, “She's pretty famous now as the company's black sheep.”

 

I.. think I know who you're talking about.” Wonbin frowned and cupped his drink. “How.. has she been all this time?” He asked, not daring to look up.

 

You haven't checked up on her? Weren't you two the closest duo at the company?” Jaejoong leaned in.

 

Is she doing well?”

 

You tell me. Why haven't you checked up on her? I heard people say that you use to brag about her as the company's star trainee. How did that girl become the black sheep?” Jaejoong frowned and searched for the answers in Wonbin's eyes, but found nothing, but remorse.

 

Did something happened at the company? Is there a reason why you're asking this?”

 

Yes.” Jaejoong snapped with impatience. “Now, please stop avoiding my questions and answer them.”

 

Wonbin sighed and ran his fingers through his messy hair. He couldn't bring himself to say anything. He felt guilt just hearing her name. “I...”

 

Please.” Jaejoong begged, “I need you to talk so I can understand her.”

 

I was so busy that I didn't have time to keep in contact with her. Is she debuting soon? If she is, that's g – ”

 

What happened between the two of you?” Jaejoong interrupted. “There's a lot of rumors, but I need to know the truth.”

 

N-Nothing happened between us. We were nothing, but coach and student. What rumors are being spread?” He scoffed. “That's absurd. I was already engaged at that time. My fiancee knew I was only perfecting the girls voice.”

 

Jaejoong sighed and rubbed his temples. Why was she transferred from a debuting group back to a new batch of trainees?”

 

How.. did you know that? No one, but the people working around the debuting girl group knows that.”

 

I had to get my way around.” Jaejoong muttered, recalling the times he bothered many of the employees that worked closely with Wonbin. “I'll ask again. What went on between the two of you day the before you resigned?”

 

Wonbin fell silent and stared at the cup of tea in hand. Flashbacks played through his mind which made his stomach sink. He felt even more guilt in his heart and his shoulders felt heavy.

 

During the time he had taken over the new position as a vocal coach, he was excited and anticipated how he was going to teach his new students. When the company handed him a new girl group to manage, he was amazed at each and every single one of their potential. Especially one of them stood out to him within the first three months he began work. Yong Minji. She was the friendly, talkative and well mannered girl. He grew unconditionally attached to her determination and her perseverance through the practices. She wasn't the strongest singer and would need extra help at times, but he knew she had potential as he slowly began to teach her. After all, she was the youngest of the group. However, one thing she never knew was that she was being bet on by her very coach and few co-workers of his.

 

She.. She heard everything.. She was in the soundproof room and.. “ He held his head in his hands with regret, “She heard me and another co-worker talk about the bet.. I had no id – “

 

Suddenly, Jaejoong grabbed the man by the shirt collar and yanked him close. The table shook between the two of them and the cup fell off the table. They didn't even notice the cup shattering on the ground.

 

You... Placed a bet on her?” He growled with pink teary eyes, “What bet?” His fists shook.

 

Wonbin gasped and didn't know what to do. He calmed himself and vulnerably stared at Jaejoong's watch. “From the very beginning..we bet.. that she was going to be cut from the group. That she wasn't going to make it as a singer. But I was wrong. Very wrong.” Wonbin slumped into his chair and Jaejoong released him slowly. The pot of soup boiled over and the crying of Wonbin's baby filled the silence. Jaejoong forced himself to turn away or he wouldn't know what would happen if he didn't. He wanted to knock some sense into Wonbin. His fist wouldn't stop shaking as the man sat there pathetically looking at the glass.

 

I-I'm leaving.” Jaeoong sighed once more and excused himself. How can he do that to a kid like her? He thought as he slammed the door shut. He went to his car and quickly drove away.

 

As he drove back to the company, he didn't even realize tears were falling out of his eyes. His throat burned, but he didn't think of the pain. Only anger filled his mind when he thought of the comparisons of his past as a trainee and Minji's. He pitied his younger self and Minji. Back then, he always received insults and scolding to his face when he wasn't up to his past company's standards. Even though they had similarities, Minji was different. She was repeatedly insulted, scolded and her talent was bet on. The one who gave her hopes destroyed her dreams by betraying her.

 

He raced into the lobby and ignored all the usual greetings he received. He went straight into the studio room where the girls were taking their second rounds of vocal lessons. He abruptly stormed in and ordered all of them to leave. They were flustered to see his tear stained face and swollen eyes. They obediently listened to his strange request and left the room. He blocked Minji on her way out and waited until the door shut before he wrapped his arms around her. He held her desperately which startled her. She pushed him away, but he kept her still. She stopped resisting and tried not to put her face on his chest.

 

He gasped, trying to keep his voice calm. “I'm sorry.” He choked.

 

W-What?” She mumbled, blinking at his statement.

 

I'm sorry.” He repeated painfully and buried his face in her hair. She felt his tears and realized he was sincere. It still confused her to see him act the way he was out of no where. She had always thought he was always the calm and composed person she saw him as.

 

She nervously laughed and pushed him away, “What's wrong with you? Are you drunk?” She looked at his face.

 

He gave a little laughed and turned away. He wiped his tears with his sleeve and cleared his throat, “Who knows?”

 


 

How are you guys? & I apologize for any spelling/grammar mistakes!