Unfairness

Heartless

“Pay attention!” Jaejoong scolded the girls who were playing around. The girls flinched at the tone of his words and immediately followed the instructor.

 

“What's he doing here? He's been coming to almost every practice this week.” One of the girls muttered under her breath. It was the true. After the whole ordeal between him and Minji that night, Jaejoong had been keeping a close eye on the girls and their progress. He wanted to make sure that Minji will pass the upcoming evaluation Mr. Chang announced the day after that night. Tomorrow will be the evaluation day and he was extremely anxious.

 

“Jaejoong, you're kind of making it hard for me to teach. I'm getting nervous with you just watching.” The instructor laughed and stopped the girls. “Take a five minute break.” He said and walked over to Jaejoong who was sitting in the corner of the room.

 

“Here.” Jaejoong handed the young man a bottle of water. The young man was the choreographer for JYJ since they entered the company. “What do you think of them, Hyunwoo?”

 

Hyunwoo shook his head and chugged the bottle of water. He wiped his sweat with his shirt and sat down next to him. “You're watching them like a you'll snap at them if they mess up once. What's going on all of a sudden? Yoochun told me that you didn't enjoy being their coach.”

 

“I found something to enjoy teaching.” He mumbled to much of Hyunwoo's surprise. Hyunwoo excitedly leaned over and smirked at him.

 

“Someone~?” He whispered and blew in Jaejoong's ear. Jaejoong scowled at him as he was being nudged playfully.

 

“Don't be spreading any rumors right now.” Jaejoong warned with his eyes flickering from Hyunwoo's face to Minji who walked by.

 

“THAT'S -”

 

Jaejoong hurriedly grabbed Hyunwoo by the face and covered his mouth. The girls looked at them weirdly, but thought nothing of it. Hyunwoo screamed in Jaejoong's hand for defeat and once Jaejoong knew Hyunwoo wasn't going to talk, he released his face. Hyunwoo glanced at the mirror to see Jaejoong's finger prints on his face. He pouted and looked around before leaning over again.

 

“You've got a thing for the black sheep?” He whispered with his hand around his mouth. Jaejoong choked on his water and shook his head frantically.

 

“N-No!”

 

“Well, tell you what. Mr. Chang is doing a surprise drop in early today. He'll judge half of the girls here and continue the rest tomorrow. There's a big chance that little Minji will be evaluated.”

 

“You're kidding, right?” Jaejoong's eyes widened in shock. Then again, that is something that man would do.

 

“Good luck.” Hyunwoo patted Jaejoong's shoulder and left to use the washroom. After a few minutes, Hyunwoo returned with Mr Chang by his side. He pointed furiously behind the older man and Jaejoong looked at them with his stomach dropping to the ground.

 

“H-Hello.” Jaejoong greeted as they walked over.

 

“What are you doing here?” Mr. Chang smiled and glanced around to those curiously staring at him. Jaejoong uttered out a reply as the man turned away.

 

I thought we were being evaluated tomorrow!” One of the girls whispered loudly to others agreeing. Minji kept her straight face, but deep down, she was worried.

 

“Now, let's see how well you've improved.” Mr. Chang grabbed a chair and settled down. He flipped through his clipboard and pulled out his pen from his pocket. He tapped the tip of his pen and read the names he already written down.

 

One by one, names were called in his intimidating voice. Each girl was evaluated for five minutes based on script reading, dancing or singing. The anticipation for their names to be called brought the awaiting girls distraught. Minji knew at some point she was going to be evaluated by him ,but she was surprised that she wasn't the first to be called. Usually, he would target her out of all the other girls based on experience. Jaejoong couldn't keep his eyes off of Minji and Mr. Chang. He wanted Mr. Chang to call the girl's name than drag it to the end, but unfortunately the man did the latter.

 

“Lastly, Yong Minji. After you, we can go for lunch.” Mr. Chang leaned back with ease and crossed his legs. Minji swallowed hard and forced herself onto her feet. She calmly walked over to the mic stand that was already set up prior to the other girl. She grabbed the mic and already felt her palms clamming up. She wasn't worried about being evaluated. Her attention was more towards what he could possibly say. In her mind, she felt that he may even bring up Wonbin. “Proceed.” He waved and looked over his shoulder at Jaejoong. “Hopefully, you'll be able to debut this year.” He laughed.

 

Minji frozed and stared at the mic. Debut. She repeated and felt close in on itself. “I'll be singing..”

 

“Go on.” Mr. Chang rushed, not even giving the same amount of attention he gave to the other girls.

 

“I'll be singing a ba-”

 

“Enough.” He raised his hand with a sigh. “I heard enough.”

 

“But she hasn't done anything yet.” Jaejoong was quick to come in Minji's defense. He gave the man a look of disbelief, unable to understand the man's intentions.

 

“That's fine. I have enough to give a criticism.” Mr. Chang stood up and looked at her with disinterested eyes. “Everyone can go to lunch now. I will come again next practice to finish up the evaluations.” He said and walked out the door. Jaejoong looked at his back profile in complete shock. Minji hung her head in defeat ad listened to the footsteps leave the room. Her fists shook as if she could almost draw blood. She knew Mr. Chang was never going to give her a chance. Even if he did, he wouldn't be easy about it.

 

“Minji..” Jaejoong sighed. He couldn't find the words to comfort her. He knew her capabilities. She wasn't the strongest trainee  that captivated people, but she was able to follow and accomplish any challenges thrown at her in dance practice, vocal exercises and even acting. He knew Mr. Chang wouldn't be able to give her a horrible evaluation. “I'll.. Ill talk to him. It's.. It's not over.. You still... still have a long ways to go with the group.” He stammered, trying to find the right words to say. She kicked the empty box by her things and sat with her head in her hands. Jaejoong walked out and looked for Mr. Chang amongst the crowd of trainees.

 

“Mr. Chang!” He shouted, hoping at least one head would turn around. At the end of the hall, the stout man waited with his hands on his hips. Jaejoong slowly ran over, weaving through the crowd of people.

 

“What's wrong, Jaejoong?” He asked with a slight hint of impatience.

 

“Please give Minji a chance.”

 

“I did, but she wasted it.”

 

“I'm sure she's just nervous. A lot of the girls were.” Jaejoong defended once more.

 

Mr. Chang sighed with his hand on his hip. “Look, I'm a very busy man. What she did in there was waste my time. She should of went on with her song.”

 

“Mr. Chang!” Jaejoong raised his voice, “You gave everyone a decent amount of time to perform, but Minji didn't even get a track played for her. That is unfair.”

 

“Please Jaejoong.” Mr. Chang said calmly, “If you continue to act like this, some may thing you're playing favourites.” He looked around cautiously, “That would be bad for you. You're one of the top hallyu stars sweeping the nation.”

 

“I'm just speaking the truth, sir. Yong Minji was being treated unfairly .”

 

“Unfair?” Mr. Chang scoffed as he shook his head, “I didn't want to say anything yet, but the girls at the dorm tells me things about Minji that won't be suited for her to be an idol. If she were to make it big, neitizens would eat her alive if they found out about her times as a trainee. I'm doing her a favour by not crushing her dreams by kicking her out instantly. I'm waiting for her to give up herself.”

 

“What rumours?” Jaejoong unintentionally glared at the man.

 

“L-Like how she's a delinquent and some are saying she has a part time job..." Mr. Chang's voice trailed on, "..in the red district.” He whispered with the clip board blocking his face Jaejoong laughed in complete absurd.

 

“That's crazy. Last night, I jus-”

 

“Let's leave the conversation here. I have to get going.” Mr Chang spun on his heels, “Don't say anything about what I've told you. It's not your problem.”

 

“It is. It is my problem. She's my junior and likewise with the other girls. I take full responsibility for Yong Minji and everyone else.”

 

“That's a tough burden for you, Jaejoong. I'm sure you have other things to worry about.”

 

“As you say.” Jaejoong bowed and returned to the practice room. “Minji.” He called to the girl with a sigh, but no one responded. Where did she go? He walked back out to just see the door of the fire exit close. He yanked the door open and looked around.

 

“Why would you be sleeping there?” A voice caught his attention from down stairs. He walked over to the railings and poked his head out. Two floors down, he saw a woman shake her head at a body curled up in the corner of the staircase. He raced down the stairs and to the floor Minji was on. She was bundled up tightly in her hoodie and scarf.

 

“Hey, wake up.” He said with his eyes taking in every inch of her face. What stood out the most was how deep and dark the circles under her eyes were. Her eyes fluttered open to see his face inches from hers. She yelped and backed her head into the wall. Tears filled her eyes as she held the back of her head in pain. “Ah, sorry did I startle you.” He pulled back.

 

“What are you doing here?” She asked, hastifully standing up.

 

“Maybe you should answer that for me.” He shoved his hands in his pockets and leaned against the wall. “What are you doing here? Isn't your usual sleeping are the lobby.”

 

“I can sleep wherever I want.” She muttered and walked to one of the doors to the floor they were on.

 

“Let's have lunch.”

 

“What?'” She turned with shock written on her face.

 


Hope this chapter was okay! See you guys next update!