Dead end

Heartless

 

Later that evening, Jaejoong waited patiently outside of the girl's dorm. He had looked at their schedule before hand and knew they would be returning home early after a dance practice. From his rear view mirror, he saw the group of girls walking down the side walk, but unfortunately, he didn't see Minji amongst the group. The girls stopped and frantically pointed to his car. They knew exactly who the owner of it was from seeing it so many times in the parking lot. He nonchalantly stepped out of his car and walked around the side. The girls raced towards him and erupted with questions and concerns. They surrounded him so closely to which he backed into his car. He sighed with frustration and stood his ground.

 

I'm looking for Minji. Why isn't she with you? Did she skip practice again?” He asked and with that, all the girls walked back to their dorms. They were hoping he'd be interested in them instead of Minji. Everyone at the company seemed to pay more attention to Minji even if it may be a negative light. He looked at the disappearing group with a puzzled face, but one girl snapped him back to attention. He glanced down at her frail appearance and looked into her bright eyes.

 

She showed up to practice, but went to work right after. She works at the cafe that's open until 5AM. She works part time there until it closes.” The girl timidly said, tugging at her towel which was around her neck. “Is there something wrong? How come you needed to see her? Is the company really kicking her out like the rumours said?”

 

How come you seem the most concerned out of all the girls back there?” He asked curiously. The girl stared at her feet and bit her lips.

 

We.. used to be friends..” She admitted.

 

He raised his eyebrow and crossed his arms. “What do you mean used to?”

 

We stopped talking awhile back after one of the big fights she had with Junhee.” She frowned, “I didn't want it to turn out like this, but it's the other girls and then it's how Minji is now... Her personality became harder to approach than before... She barely even talks now... I... Its... just... I don't want her to really leave the company.”

 

Are the other girls bullying her?” He frowned and stared into her eyes to make sure she was honest with her answers.

 

I-I didn't take part in any of it.” She tensed up and backed away. “T-The other girls shun her regularly... and we don't eat dinner together... Minji arrives home on her own times and does things by herself... There were times I wanted to join her, but she would tell me she's fine or the other girls will hold me back.”

 

Tell me about Wonbin.” He said sternly.

 

Coach Shin?” She relaxed. “Well... if you're referring to what happened between them... I heard rumours that they had an argument and then he quit the next day... Apparently, that's when Minji started acting different.” Without a word, he went around his car and yanked open the door. He was just about to drive away when the girl knocked on the passenger window. Please don't say anything! I don't want her to hate me even more.” She pleaded.

 

Don't worry about it.” He said and swerved the car into a u-turn. He drove down the road and after a few minutes, turned to the cafe with the blaring 20 hour sign. He stopped just in front of the cafe to see Minji scrubbing down tables. He calmly walked in and she greeted him like a normal customer. Her voice was sweetly pitched and her smile was genuinely fake enough to fool everyone that walked through those doors. Her smile dropped and she continued to scrub away. He eyed her as he passed and ordered a black coffee to wait.

 

Minji! I need you back here!” The store manager called as he prepared Jaejoong's coffee. She hastifully answered back and went around the counter. She took over her manager's job as the bartista and worked diligently on the orders. She hurriedly served Jaejoong before rushing around with a tray in hand.

 

Is this how she is all night? Jaejoong thought and cautiously took a sip of his drink. No wonder she's sleeping in the lobby all the time. He leaned against the counter and continued to watch her movements like a hawk. By the time the unusual rush hour ended, he took off his sunglasses as she was getting nearer to clean up the counters around him. “Hey.” He greeted with a little wave. She looked up from the counter he was standing by, but looked down a second later.

 

Excuse me.” She mumbled and worked around him.

 

Minji!” The manager walked over with a huge grin on his face. “My wife is in labour. I need to close up shop right away. I'll see you first thing tomorrow night!” He said and went over to kindly ask customers to leave. Minji sighed and went around Jaejoong yet again to go to the back room to change out of her uniform. Eventually, Jaejoong was kicked out too. He waited outside and cupped his coffee for warmth. He kept his eyes on the door and after a few minutes, Minji came all bundled up. She glanced over at him, but continued to walk away.

 

Hey!” He called out and finally, she stopped walking. He cautiously ran over to her with the wet snow squishing beneath his feet. “I need to talk to you.”

 

I shouldn't be seen around you. You're a big star.” She said with a bow. The bus she was expecting went by, but he grabbed onto her before she could catch it. She yanked back and glared at him.

 

What happened between you and Wonbin?” He went straight to his point. Her eyes widened in shock from hearing that name which made her stomach feel queasy. “I want to help you, but I can't do that if I don’t know what's going on.”

 

She scoffed and faced him. “Don't try to understand me. Everyone else has and failed to do it.” She said bitterly, remembering the sympathy looks she received out of pity. She turned to walk and kept ther head up high to hold the tears back.

 

But Wonbin was able to. You two were close, weren't you?” He asked, but she continued to walk away. Her chest hurt each breath she took in. She never thought she'd be hearing that name being spoken. Not after that man left the company.

 


See you next update! Let me know how how story is so far (: