Words Too Difficult To Say

Heartless

Ahhh, you brat!” Wonbin shouted as he held Minji in a headlock. “You were hiding this talent all along?” He released her after she gave in defeat. They were in the music studio on time like their usual routinely meetings. She had just given him a new track she composed in hopes her team will be able to perform it. She was anticipating the reaction she and her team will receive after their performance. And from the looks of his reactions, she felt certain they'll do well.

 

I wasn't hiding.. I'm just improving.” She grinned. Wonbin always admired her humbleness.

 

That's right, my little star is shining brightly.” He laughed and burned the track onto a CD. “I'm going to take this personally to the team manager and CEO myself. I'm sure they'll love it.”

 

She gasped.“You really think so?” At first, she never thought her track will meet Wonbin's standards since he always kept his music professional and strict. Now, she wond'ering if she should take the next step and show him her other tracks and lytics.

 

Of course! Who's been the one coaching you all this time?” He smirked and tousled her hair. “They'll love it for sure. Especially this coming from a trainee.”

 

Thanks coach!”

 

~-~

 

He's really clueless on how to tidy things around here. Minji thought as she entered the main studio room Wonbin usually used.  He was out on an evening meeting to finalize some assessments on the first and second batch of trainees. In this small space, she knew it like the back her hand, but the clutter just kept piling up from the hectic week. She scanned the amount of garbage littered on the desk, chairs and tables before rolling up her sleeves. She thought the least she could do for her homeless coach was clean his workspace and sleeping space. He rarely went home unless it was to get a change of clothes and shower. It was all because of how this month was the busiest time of the year. Trainees were being assessed, idol groups were preparing their comebacks and new trainees were being added weekly. It was even more hectic for the vocal coaches, choreographers, composers and stylists.

 

She quickly cleaned the work space and walked into the sound proof room to have a peek. She was surprised too see bottles of waters lying around and music sheets scattered all over the ground. She couldn't believe what she saw. She had always thought he treated this space like a sanctuary, but he let himself go this time.

 

While she was in the midst of gathering the papers on her hands and knees, she was unaware that someone else had let themselves into the room. He was tall in stature and had a medium built. He had collar bone length hair tied back into a small bun and wore clothes similar to the choreographer on the other building floor. He curiously clicked on buttons and adjusted some sound boards as if it was a child's toy.

 

Now, where did that guy go?” He asked, not knowing he had the mic for the sound proof room. Minji froze and slowly crouched up from the floor. She covered to hold in her gasp while her eyes locked onto the back view of one of the vocal coaches who made her most nervous. Coach Kang was what the trainees referred to him as. She always felt like he never enjoyed teaching her as much as Wonbin did. His head turned to the side and she quickly avoided him by collapsing to the floor. She gathered the rest of the papers and crawled to the corner by the door where she won't be seen if he were to look over.

 

What am I going to do? She asked herself while thinking up situations she would be in if she were to show herself. She wondered if she should reveal herself and quickly leave or hide until the room was empty again. She knew the latter was her definite choice. She stood up and kept hidden behind the wall and door.

 

So, how is she?” Coach Kang laughed and the door closed.

 

What do you mean?” Wonbin asked, pretending to be oblivious to the man's question. “Did you mess with my things again?” He frowned with his eyes scanning his boards.

 

Don't play dumb, man. Our bet, remember?” Coach Kang smirked and lazily sat in the couch..“Will she debut or will she not? Will she? Will she not?” He laughed despite Wonbin feeling weary inside.

 

Wonbin cleared his throat and glanced at the paper recommendations he wrote about Minji in hand, “About that..” His voice trailed off. His words were caught in his throat.

 

What?!” Coach Kang gasped and playfully grabbed Wonbin by the collar. “Are you going to back out, punk? My three time feast is on the line for this.”

 

I.. I don't think we should continue with this bet.”

 

Come on, Wonbin. You're the one who started this bet over that girl. We all know she's on the border line of debuting or returning to the group of trainees. Minji won't last long. The evaluation is in two days.”

 

Wonbin shook his head, “I believe in Minji now.. I doubted her before, but if you pay close attention to her, she's a wonderful kid.”

 

Minji choked and the papers slipped through her hands. It seemed like someone was repeatedly stabbing needles into her heart. She blinked and blinked, but the tears kept streaming as she looked at the ground pathetically. I was part of a bet? She bit her lip hard and forced herself to breath normally, but her lips began to quiver. Even though she kept telling herself to not cry, her true feelings kept interfering. A flood of feelings washed over her, betrayal, regret and disappointment went through her at the same time. burned and her heart ached to know that someone she thought believed in her, didn't. The feelings in her chest soon travelled to her stomach. Her stomach churned and was filled with notes. She had no idea if her feelings were her becoming furious or the sense of betrayal was making her nauseous. She thought of him as a mentor, a senior she could rely on and a friend.

 

Well, the deal was that I don't think she's going to debut and you were to bet that she will.” Coach Kang crossed his arms, “ Let's face it because everyone knows she's lacking. You're only trying your best for her because you don't want to pay for three meals right?” He laughed and wiped a small tear in his eye, “Just a few days ago, you called me saying she was hopeless. Don't you remember or did the stress get to your head?”

 

Minji shakily opened the door and the two men flinched to see the door swing open. The tears in her eyes were streaming down her face as she stood there with a straight face. Wonbin's stomach dropped to the floor and he found himself uttering her name nervously.

 

Nether of you win the bet.”She smiled through her tears. She looked at them with her eyes blurred with tears and mumbled out the words, “I quit.”

 

Minij brought herself back to reality after dozing off into a day dream. She opened her eyes and stared at the ceiling she'd been looking at for the past year. Maybe back then I should of hit him, cursed at hm or did something so that the pain I felt would lessen. She sighed, Obviously, it's too late now..
 

It was late after noon and the building wasn't as busy. Since the noise level wasn't too high, she decided to take her final within the company. She specifically avoided lunch time in case Jaejoong were to show and talk to her. She was quick to finalize the decisions with the CEO during that time even if it did interrupt the CEO's lunch plan.

 

Get up.” She heard Jaejoong's voice close by. “I'm telling you to get up.” He repeated and she turned to her right. He was standing there with a white dress shirt tucked into his black dress pants. From her first glance, she assumed her had just left a meeting from how loose the tie around his neck looked. She shook her head at him and blocked him out with her phone. “Don't make me repeat myself.” He said, this time a little more aggressively. She rolled her eyes at him and sat up.

 

What do you want, sir?” She asked mockingly and he grabbed her by the hand. He forcefully dragged her out of the lobby despite her protests and struggling. “What are you doing? Let me go!”

 

Be quiet.” He said and held her hands more tightly. For the first time, she was somehow frightened by him. He took her to the back where his car was parked and like his previous outing with her, he helped her into the car and quickly went to his side to start up the car.

 

Where are you taking me?” She asked with a glare. This time she didn't resist as much as he thought she would, “I'm not part of the company anymore so stop acting like you have seniority over me.”

 

Without a word, Jaejoong sped out of the parking lot which startled her to put on her seat belt. They went towards the restaurant he first brought her to and the first to greet them was the preppy owner. The middle aged man met them by the door and warmly invited them inside.

 

It's cold.” Jaejoong shivered and he pushed Minji along to where the tables the owner was heading. From Jaejoong's suggestion, they went towards the table where they were first seated. Minji frowned at him, thinking it wasn't right for her to be there.

 

The usual or would you like to try something new?” The owner smiled and held out his notepad.

 

Usual please.” Jaejoong answered in a heart beat and handed the menu's back to the owner.

 

I'm not having anything.” Minji said as the owner turned his head. Jaejoong poured some tea with a straight face and told the owner she will be having the same. Minji interrupted immediately and said she won't be eating. It was an awkward tension the owner experienced so the older man suggested she think about it before ordering.

 

Your soup will be out in a few minutes.” The owner smiled and returned the front desk. Minji waited for Jaejoong to lecture her about anything that came to mind, but the man sat silence in front of her. He was playing with utensils while looking around the room. She wanted to begin the conversation about her leaving the company due to the feeling in her stomach, but she couldn't say anything. The owner came back to their table with Jaejoong's beef soup and side dishes. “Let me know if you decide to order something.” He said just as Jaejoong began to eat.

 

Minji continued to watch Jaejoong without a word. He didn't seem like he was going to talk soon. She didn't understand why he would take her out just so that she watch him eat. She wanted him to speak so they can get whatever done and over with. He ate deliciously, in between bites he would take a look at her. Even though he was stuffing himself, he still felt the void in his stomach. He couldn't understand why.

 

Why are you acting this way?” She asked, bluntly and folded her hands in front of her. Jaejoong slurped his spoonful of rice and soup as he placed his chopsticks down. He took a moment to chew and swallow before wiping his lips.

 

He picked up one of the potato side dishes that were cut into cubes and placed it in his mouth. “You're not leaving the company.” He reasoned, “I can't let you – no, I won't let you leave. You have potential in music. Composing or performing. I'm not letting that talent go to waste.”

 

She scoffed, “They say... the heart of a musician is their music.. in their voice. Singing use to bring me joy, comfort and if it were to touch other people's hearts, it would make my day. The thing is, I can't feel anything in my voice when I speak or sing. The thought of music doesn't appeal to me anymore.“

 

If that's the problem, I''m going to make you feel again. I'm going to teach you all the things you disregarded.” He argued and looked in her eyes with determination to which she distantly looked back.

 

What profit do you gain out of this? Two weeks off?” She frowned and he was taken a back by the tears forming in her eyes. She felt complete betrayal due to finding out that she was talked about as if her being was some game.

 

How did she know? He swallowed hard, “Who.. –“

 

Mr. Chang told me. I'm sorry that you can't have your break.” She pathetically bowed with tears streaming down her face and by that, it made him nauseous.

 

Is.. Is this the reason why you – “

 

Unfortunately, no.” She faked a smile.

 

I'm sorry. It was like that at first.” He admitted and realized how similar his lie and Wonbin's. “I-I.”

 

Let's stop here. I don't care anymore since I won't be seeing any of you after my leave is finalized.”

 

No, I'm not letting you leave!” He repeated frantically.

 

She sighed and glared at him with glassed eyes. “I'm telling you to stop. Why are you acting like this?” She asked with a shaky voice. More tears fell from her eyes and dropped on the table. She shot him a look and lets out a petty laugh, “Are you interested in me or something?”

 

Yes I am.” He answered abruptly without even thinking. She was stunned to hear such words come out of the man she found narcissistic and cold at times. “What about it? I've taken an interest in you since I first heard of a trainee described like you. It was pure curiosity until I've gotten to know you – “

 

Is your curiosity done with? Are you finished with being interested? Are – ”

 

No, I'm not.” He said, solemnly. “I don't see what's wrong with a man trying to protect the girl he likes.”

 

W-What?” She hiccupped and simultaneously the tears stopped.

 

Jaejoong leaned over and said sincerely in a hushed voice, “I like you.”

 

She blinked at his words, but found herself unable to believe them. “Thank you for everything you've done for me all this time. I really appreciate it.” She stood up, bowed and continued to thank him through her tears. She left the restaurant immediately afterwards so that he wouldn't follow her. The thing was, he couldn't. He felt drained of energy and wasn't so sure of what to do now that this conversation happened. He laughed at himself with disbelief that he had suddenly confessed to a girl who he thought he would never confess to. He didn't even remember how his feelings grew. He swore with frustration and ran his fingers through his hair.