Love

자유 True Beauty

love [luhv] n. - a feeling of warm personal attachment or deep affection, as for a parent, child, or friend.

(I couldn't think of a word for this chapter, so if you think of one that might apply feel free to write it in the comments!)

 

“There are a total of 8 escape routes,” Mihyun spoke in a hushed voice as she pin pointed the locations on the map with her finger. “5 are open on this side of the Noye grounds, but 3 more will be opened after the first detonation.”

“And what will happen after we are to escape through these routes?” Jongup asked with a raised eyebrow.

“There will be people waiting for you to take you back to safety. You can trust these people, don’t worry,” Mihyun smiled lightly after getting pointed looks from some of the Noyes. “They’ll take you in and keep care over you until words comes out as to what will be done with the rebelling Noyes. Please do your best to be kind to these people, for they are risking their lives for your safety.”

“But…” Mihyun paused as a solemn expression took over her face. “They cannot take all of you. Many of you will have to fend for yourselves… and…”

Sehun pressed a comforting hand to Mihyun’s shoulder and pushed her gently to the side to signal that he would continue, “Mihyun has tried her best to guarantee everybody a spot to safety, but even her best cannot solve the greatest of problems. If you find yourself as one of the unlucky ones, quickly find shelter. Don’t trust people too easily if they are to offer you help, but don’t anger them into reporting you either. To avoid getting split apart from your friends, make plans earlier as to where you are to gather.”

“And when will this be happening?” a Noye spoke up in a hushed tone.

There was a pregnant silence, “You’ll know when it does,” Sehun responded simply.

“The guards are coming back, everybody go back to your cages,” Jongin called out in a hushed whisper as he sprinted down the hallway. He had been keeping watch at the cage entrance, for the guards had disappeared momentarily for a meeting. The Noyes scattered apart like bugs, quickly heading back to their cages to avoid being questioned by the guards.

“Do you really have no idea as to when we are to—” Baekhyun began to speak, cutting off when Mihyun pressed a hand to his mouth. His eyes widened questioningly, and she shook her head, nodding over to where a guard had just turned the corner.

She quickly pulled away her hand to avoid the suspecting eyes of the guard, and waved her good byes to the remaining Noyes.

“We’ll see you later, okay?” Mihyun smiled nonchalantly as she slipped her arm through Luhan’s. “Jaesuk should be expecting us now.”

“But you still—we’ll see you tomorrow!” Chanyeol replied, pouting at Baekhyun who had nudged his elbow roughly into Chanyeol’s side.

“The guards are getting worse, aren’t they?” Sehun asked in a hushed voice once the three of them were in safe confines of the car.

Mihyun nodded her head solemnly with a distressed expression stretched across her face, “Jaemin is rather relentless, isn’t he?”

“You have to be careful from now on, Mihyun. You can’t afford being caught,” Sehun frowned as he rubbed a smudge off of the girl’s cheek.

“Like I hadn’t known that already,” Mihyun chuckled as she swatted his hand away playfully.

The pair looked over to Luhan when he tugged at each of their sleeves, and read the board he held up. Is Jaemin going to try to do something bad?

“Get that frown off your face, Hyung,” Sehun smiled as he ruffled the front of his hair. “Even if he does, I’ll be there to protect you all.”

His words were met with a loud snort, courtesy of Jaesuk. Sehun replied by aiming a rough kick to the back of his chair, smiling with satisfaction at the cry of protest the other emitted.

“Can you two try not acting like children every time you are together?” Mihyun sighed as she gave the pair of them a pointed look.

“No,” they both responded simultaneously.

She exchanged knowing looks with Luhan who reached over to give her a comforting pat on the shoulder.

“You think… you think we’ll have to start it soon?” Sehun spoke up quietly after a brief lull in the conversation.

He was met with another stretch of silence, as each of the occupants thought over his words.

“I don’t know,” Mihyun responded honestly. “We’re just going to have to start when the time is right. I don’t… I don’t think we’re ready for it yet, to be honest. We’ve prepared for this so much, and over such a long period of time. We’ve discussed every escape route, every back up plan, every course of action, and we couldn’t be any more physically prepared than we are now… but…”

Her unspoken words were continued in each of their minds – they weren’t mentally prepared. They weren’t prepared to lose a loved one, to lose one of their own. They weren’t prepared to see the deaths that would happen left and right. They weren’t prepared for the days and weeks of fear and worry that would immediately follow.

This was something they could never be prepared for.

The death of Kyungsoo was still a fresh wound torn into their hearts, and one that would never be healed. After all, the only thing more frightening than death is the thought of dying itself.

 

 

“Do you have it?” Mihyun asked somberly as she clenched her fingers tightly together. Her palms had began to perspire, and she wiped them against her shirt to get rid of clamminess. She stared up at Yixing expectantly, ignoring the rapid pounding of her heart against her chest.

“Mihyun, I don’t think this—” Yixing began to speak up.

“I asked if you brought it, Yixing, not for your opinion,” Mihyun interrupted coldly. She sent him an apologetic expression immediately after. “Please don’t make this any harder than it already is, Yixing.”

Yixing opened his mouth to protest, but reluctantly pressed his lips together, giving her a stiff nod. He slid open an envelope and pulled out its contents to place in front of Mihyun.

“It has everything I’ve asked?” Mihyun asked as she briefly skimmed her eyes over the papers content.

“I… yes,” Yixing answered quietly, turning his head away to avoid the temptation of speaking out.

“Jaesuk,” Mihyun spoke up as she turned to the male in question.

Jaesuk tensed as he glanced down at the seated girl, “Yes, Agashi?”

“You don’t have to stand there like a rock. I know you want to say something but are worried about disrespecting me. You don’t work for my father anymore, Jaesuk, you’re free to say whatever you want,” Mihyun sighed as she ran her hand through her hair.

“I… I just…” Jaesuk murmured uncertainly, his eyes darting around the room as if the walls would respond with answers. “I don’t like this,” he finally admitted.

Mihyun nodded understandingly, “I’m sorry I’m placing so much responsibility onto you.”

“That’s not it, Agashi,” Jaesuk clarified. He clenched his fists tightly and glared down at the papers in front of her, “I don’t like the idea of you making a will.”

“Then what would happen if I die?” Mihyun asked with a raised eyebrow.

Everybody flinched at her words.

“You won’t,” Jaesuk responded without skipping a beat, his tone a bit stronger than it had been earlier.

There was a moment of pause before Mihyun slowly responded, “You don’t know that.”

“Agashi—”

“Jaesuk if I die without making a will, do you know who will get everything?” Mihyun interrupted with a hard look.

Jaesuk knew.

“My father,” Mihyun continued in a strained voice. “And I would rather burn in the depths of hell than let that lowlife bastard…”

“Let’s just sign this and get it over with, shall we?” Jongdae cleared his throat to interrupt the tense atmosphere. He nudged Junmyeon who was at his side and gestured for him to sign as a witness.

“Hold on,” Jaesuk spoke up as he stopped Junmyeon from taking the pen. He turned to Mihyun with furrowed eyebrows, “Why me? I understand that you don’t want your fortunes landing in the hands of your father, but why me? Why are you giving everything to me?”

Mihyun stared at him for a few seconds as her expression lightened, “Who else would I give it to, Jaesuk?”

Jaesuk opened his mouth to respond, but no words would release from his lips. His hand fell to his side, and Junmyeon took the chance to quickly sign his name along the dotted line to escape the stuffy room as quickly as possible.

“See you at school,” Jongdae nodded his head as he quickly ushered Junmyeon out of the room. “Bye.”

Mihyun ignored Jaesuk’s eyes and quickly signed her name in the respective area. She tucked the files back into the folder to hand to Yixing, bowing her thanks. “I’m really grateful for everything you’ve done for me.”

Yixing nodded his head without verbally responding as he tucked the will into his briefcase. He glanced briefly at Jaesuk out of the corner of his eye and opened his mouth to say something, but simply closed it once more while shaking his head. “I’ll be taking my leave.”

The door closed behind him, leaving the pair in a stiff silence.

“Jaesuk,” Mihyun spoke up softly. “You have been by my side for nearly my entire life, and you know how much I value you. If giving you all of my assets poses as a problem, please just tell me.”

Jaesuk didn’t respond. Instead he simply headed straight to the door, only offering her the words, “Let’s go.”

Jaesuk and Mihyun returned to their small home without uttering another word to each other, and Jaesuk headed straight to his bedroom once the pair stepped foot back into the house.

Is there something wrong with Hyung? Luhan frowned as he stared at his closed bedroom door.

“He’s upset with me,” Mihyun responded simply, not offering any further explanation for her words.

“Is it something that I would be upset over too?” Sehun asked with a raised eyebrow. “Because this is the first time I’ve ever seen Jaesuk Hyung like that.”

Mihyun didn’t reply.

“Mihyun, if there’s something you’re—”

“I’m going to bed,” Mihyun interrupted as she headed straight to her bedroom without tossing them a second glance.

“It’s only 6 PM,” Sehun frowned. He let out a sigh when only the sound of a door closing responded to him, and he turned his gaze on Luhan who only supplied him with a shrug.

 

 

“Mihyun? Mihyun you haven’t eaten dinner yet,” Sehun called out as he knocked on her bedroom door with a dinner tray balanced on his knee. He sighed when he was met with no response, and called out, “I’m coming in.”

He closed the door behind him, and smiled lightly when he saw Mihyun already asleep on her bed. He slid the dinner tray onto her desk and clucked his tongue against the roof of his mouth as he stared down at her with his hands on his hips.

“You’re already so skinny, how could you miss—” his voice got caught in his throat when he noticed the dried tear stains etched onto her face. He slowly crouched down besides her, and gently wiped them away with his thumb as he stared down at her with concern.

Mihyun flinched at the touch, and her eyes groggily opened to look up at Sehun. “Se…hun?” she called out, her voice coming out in a rasp whisper.

“Why were you crying?” Sehun asked immediately, giving her no time to think up an excuse.

Mihyun stared at him for a few seconds before her eyes slowly widened in realization. She quickly pushed him away and pulled the covers over her head, “Go away.”

“Mihyun,” Sehun called out firmly, pulling the covers away from her with a quick snatch.

Mihyun quickly slapped her hands over her eyes, flinching lightly when her palms met a little too roughly with her cheeks. “Sehun, please don’t.”

Sehun’s heart wrenched at the sound of Mihyun’s broken voice, and he sat down on the bed beside her. He reached forward and gently pried her hands away from her face, frowning when his hands wrapped a little too easily around her thin wrists.

“Mihyun,” Sehun repeated her name in a gentle voice as he pulled her forward into a gentle hug. He immediately felt the front of his chest dampen with what he presumed was fresh tears, but he didn’t say a single word about it. “If you ever cry, never cry alone, you hear? You don’t need to tell me what it’s about if you don’t want to, but just… just don’t cry all by yourself.”

He was met with silence and was about to repeat himself once more until Mihyun slowly nodded her head against his chest. He smiled with satisfaction and gently began running his fingers through the girl’s hair, humming in what he hoped was a comforting manner.

“I made a will today,” Mihyun spoke up in a small voice. She cringed when she felt Sehun’s body tense, and pressed her face deeper into Sehun’s chest.

“Oh,” Sehun responded, pressing down everything else he wanted to say. “I… oh.”

“Yeah,” Mihyun nodded quietly. “I just… you know… I just wanted to be safe.”

“You know it won’t happen right? You know you won’t actually die,” Sehun stated firmly as he tightened his grip around small body.

“Yeah,” Mihyun responded. “But just to be safe, you know.”

“Yeah,” Sehun nodded, swallowing hard. “Just to be safe.”

“Sehun,” Mihyun spoke up suddenly, pulling away from his hold to look him in the eyes. “What if… what if I die?”

“Mihyun, please,” Sehun responded desperately. “It won’t happen.”

“No, please Sehun listen to me,” Mihyun shook her head as she held a firm grip on his arms. “Sehun if I die you have to take care of them.”

“Mihyun you aren’t going to die so please just don’t—”

“Sehun, please,” Mihyun stated firmly. She cupped his face into the palms of her hands and forced him to look at her. “Sehun, please. If I die, promise me you won’t give up. Promise me you’ll stay strong and take care over everybody else.”

“I… I promise,” Sehun responded dryly, turning his head slightly away.

Mihyun cupped both of her hands around his face and forced him to stare at her once more. She stared into his eyes for a few seconds before relaxing with a small smile, “You promised.”

Another silence captured the pair, a comfortable, intimate silence as the two continued their locked gazes. Sehun reached over and tucked a stray strand of hair behind Mihyun’s ear, smiling lightly when his fingertips grazed against her soft skin.

Sehun stared at the girl’s face for a few seconds, and gulped heavily as a thought crossed his mind. He finally summoned up the courage and slowly began decreasing the space between the two of them, his heart nearly jumping out of his chest. “C-Can I…?”

Mihyun froze for a few seconds, knowing exactly what Sehun was trying to ask. Her tongue darted out to her suddenly dry lips, and Sehun’s eyes followed every movement.

“I… I really, really like you,” Sehun whispered quietly as he looked into her eyes before pressing his lips against Mihyun’s.

It was a rather blunt contrast, Sehun’s chapped, dry lips molding against Mihyun’s small, soft ones, yet the fit seemed rather perfect. He cupped Mihyun’s face with the palm of his hand, so gently as if it would break if he were to treat it any rougher. Mihyun pressed closer to him, wrapping her arms tightly around Sehun’s neck to eliminate any gap of air between the two. He cupped the back of her head with his other hand and slowly began to lower her onto the bed, refusing to part their lips as he hovered above her. He balanced his weight on his arms that were pressed to the bed on each side of her head, resisting the urge to pull away for a breath of air.

Sehun was first to pull away from the kiss, the earlier innocence stolen by the bulge that was now straining against his pants.

“I… I – sorry,” Sehun murmured as his face flushed with embarrassment. “I did- I didn’t mean to, I swear – I just – I don’t – ” He glanced down at Mihyun when she let out a soft giggle of amusement, fueling the red in his face to turn an even brighter shade.

“It’s alright, Sehun,” Mihyun smiled as she leaned forward to press a final kiss against his lips. “It’s fine.”

Sehun mentally cursed himself, how could he have allowed his boyish lust to ruin such a special, not to mention rare, moment between the pair? He snuck a glance at Mihyun out of the corner of his eye, flushing once more when he saw how intently she was staring at him.

“Let’s go to sleep, okay?” Mihyun lightly suggested, trying to break the awkward silence.

“Y-Yeah, okay,” Sehun mumbled under his breath as he quickly climbed off of her. “G-Goodnight Mihyun,” he murmured as he quickly spun on his heels to escape to his bedroom.

He stopped mid step when he felt a tug at his shirt, and he turned to look over his shoulder at Mihyun.

“Aren’t… aren’t you going to sleep with me?” Mihyun asked quietly as she peeked up at him with a shy expression.

Sehun gawked for a few seconds before finally realizing how much of an idiot he must have looked like. “I… is- is that okay?” Sehun blushed.

Mihyun nodded her head, training her eyes on the ground. She scooted over in her bed to open up the other half to him.

“Then I’ll… I’ll… I’ll just…y-yeah,” Sehun nodded his head as he slowly slid under the covers. He leaned over to the bedside light and turned it off before lying stiffly back into the bed. The pair of them had slept in the same bed together quiet often before, but never had it been as tense as tonight – especially considering the bulge Sehun had straining his pants remained just as stiff. He would have thought that it would have wilted away from embarrassment, but his lust seemed to have a whole different idea.

“Sehun?” Mihyun called out in a small voice.

“Yeah?” Sehun coughed in return. He was met with a pregnant silence, and was about to repeat himself until Mihyun finally spoke out in an almost inaudibly volume.

“I really, really like you too.”