Deferential

자유 True Beauty

Deferential [de-fə-ˈren-chəl] adj. - Marked by or exhibiting deference. 

Deference [de-fə-rən(t)s] noun- Submission or courteous yielding to the opinion, wishes, or judgement of a superior or elder.

 

The first thing Chanyeol heard when he regained consciousness was a soft, soothing melody sung by a familiar voice.

“Mi-Mihyun?” Chanyeol’s voice rasped against the pillow his cheek was pressed against. He blinked several times to get accustomed to his sudden vision, and realized that he was lying in an unrecognizable area. A chill ran through his spine when a slight breeze hit his skin, and he then realized that he had no clothing protecting his upper half. Feeling a rather uncomfortable weight on his back, he reached behind him to see exactly what was slathered across his skin. He winced at the sudden pain the touch caused him, and pulled his hand back to see his fingers coated in a thin layer of white cream. “Mihyun?”

“Ah, Chanyeol,” Mihyun smiled gently as she kneeled down at his side, happy to see that he had regained conciousness. She frowned when she saw the cream on Chanyeol's fingers, and pulled a few tissues from the table side to wipe his hands clean. “Don’t touch your back, Chanyeol, you need the medicine to heal your wounds faster.”

“Where am I?” Chanyeol mumbled as he stared at the unfamiliar room.

“You’re in my home,” Mihyun answered as she patted his soft hair.

Chanyeol’s eyes widened at her words, and he quickly pushed himself off the bed to sit upright. His face scrunched up in pain caused by the sudden action, but he continued to climb to his feet regardless. “I’m so sorry.”

“Chanyeol?” Mihyun asked with confusion. She stepped in front of him to prevent him from leaving. “What are you doing?” With a hand she gently pushed his chest back. “You should rest. Rapid movements will cause strain on your back.”

“I’m so sorry!” Chanyeol repeated as he dropped his knees. He placed both palms of his hands on the carpeted ground and hung his head in shame. “I’m sorry!”

“Chanyeol? Chanyeol get up!” Mihyun exclaimed as she tugged on the boy’s upper arm to pull him out of his submissive position. “Chanyeol, what are you doing? What are you sorry for?”

“I am unworthy to have stepped into your home, Mihyun, and to have taken your time. Please punish me,” Chanyeol’s desperate voice met her ears and he refused to budge from his submissive position.

Mihyun froze at the boy’s words, and she slowly slipped her hands off of the large male. She stood in front of him with her feet planted firmly into the ground, and with a cold voice, she commanded, “Chanyeol, sit upright this instant.”

Chanyeol flinched against the cold tone, and slowly rose his head to stare up at the girl.

“I am utterly insulted, Chanyeol,” Mihyun growled quietly with hard eyes. “Exactly what kind of person do you take me for? Punish you?”

Chanyeol’s bottom lip quivered under the cold gaze Mihyun held on Chanyeol’s face. He his dry lips, and he stammered, “B-But Mihyun, I am but a lowly Noye. I shouldn't have the right to enter the home of such a prestige—”

“Yes, you are a lowly Noye, and you deserve to be treated like the trash you are,” Mihyun interupted in a snide tone.

Chanyeol winced at the harsh words the girl threw at him, and he felt his blunt nails cut into the palms of his hands as he squeezed a tight fist.

“Is that what you would like to hear?” Mihyun's soft tone caused Chanyeol's head to snap up. His eyes widened as he stared at the girl's soft expression. “It isn’t, right? So why do you make it as if that is the case? Yes, you are a Noye, Chanyeol, but first you are my friend, and you are a human being who deserves to be treated as one.”

“Please, get up, Chanyeol,” Mihyun requested in a soft voice. “It saddens me to see you act in such a manner.”

Chanyeol’s bottom lip quivered at the girl’s kind and gentle words, and he slowly rose to his feet. The tips of Mihyun’s gentle fingers pressed against the bottom of Chanyeol’s chin to urge him to raise his head, and he stared shamefully into Mihyun’s kind eyes.

“Please don’t hold yourself at such a lowly level, Chanyeol,” Mihyun smiled at she stretched her arm up to shuffle the boy’s hair. “You are so much better than the things others might make you want to think you are.”

Mihyun was taken by surprise when Chanyeol suddenly wrapped his arms around her petite body to pull her into a bone crushing hug. “M-Mihyun,” Chanyeol whimpered, and she could feel small drops of tears roll off of the boy’s face and onto her shoulder.

Not wanting to touch the other’s injured back, Mihyun slid her hand upwards to pat Chanyeol’s chest soothingly. “It is alright, Chanyeol,” she whispered as she felt his body shake against her. Chanyeol was nearly twice her size, yet it was the small girl who provided protection for the boy.

A few minutes passed by with the two remaining in that position, and Chanyeol’s shudders had calmed to a still. “M-Mihyun, ca-can you… can you sing for me again?” Chanyeol requested in a rather shy voice. “Your voice… it makes me feel warm.”

A small smile graced itself upon Mihyun’s lips, and without questioning the other, she parted her lips to release a melodious tune.

Chanyeol’s lips automatically curved into a smile at the gentle voice, and he closed his eyes, allowing the soft tune rock him to calmness.

 

 

“Chanyeol, would you like to come down for dinner?” Mihyun asked the other who was lounging across her bed watching television. It had been quite a while since Chanyeol had last seen the animations, and he had been more than eager to spend several hours watching the newest cartoons.

Chanyeol’s eyes widened at her suggestion, and he quickly shook his head. “I couldn’t!”

Mihyun sighed as she slipped her glasses off of her face and closed the business book she had been reading. She turned off the TV with the press of a button on the remote, and held out her hand for Chanyeol to take. “Come.”

Chanyeol gulped at the girl’s strict tone, and he knew to not create any words of protest. He reluctantly slipped his hand into the girl’s much smaller one, and she gave him a small smile as she guided him down the stairs. Chanyeol’s heart was beating nearly out of his chest as the two walked hand in hand down the stairs, and he turned his eyes away from the scrutinizing gazes he was being stared at by the other workers. He could almost hear the thoughts going through their heads. How could a lowly Noye like him have the audacity to stay in the young noble’s home, let alone hold her hand?

“Ignore them, Chanyeol,” Mihyun whispered quietly, not even needing to glance at the other workers to know that they were staring at Chanyeol with distaste. “I apologize on their behalf, they are rather close minded.” Mihyun gave him a quick smile and a wink, “and they don’t know how utterly awesome you are.”

Chanyeol squeezed his eyes shut and he returned Mihyun’s head with a small nod.

“Good evening father,” Mihyun bowed politely as she entered the dining hall. She took her respective seat and gestured for Chanyeol to claim the one next to her. Chanyeol gave Mihyun’s father a 90 degree bow before slipping quietly into the chair.

“Good evening,” Chando greeted his daughter in return. His eyes zeroed in on the Noye that was sitting besides her, and the corner of his lips curved into a gentle smile. “Good evening, Chanyeol.”

Chanyeol’s head darted up at the acknowledgement, and his eyes widened in surprise, amazed that the man actually knew his name. He quickly realized that he was being rude, and he gave Chando nearly 5 bows in a row, smacking his forehead against the table in the process. A bright red flush captured his face at making such a fool out of himself.

“There is no need to be so nervous, Chanyeol,” Chando chuckled as he gestured for them to begin their dinner. “I am grateful for you, and you are welcomed in our home. I was certainly surprised when Mihyun informed that it was a Noye that had come to her defense, and I am eternally grateful for your action, especially when you defended my daughter despite knowing that you would receive a punishment.”

Chanyeol flushed against the praiseful words and ducked his head down in embarrassment. “Please, sir, you make me sound much more noble than I really am.”

“Modest, as well,” Chando nodded approvingly. “Say, Mihyun, will you not reconsider the two Noyes you have chosen for Chanyeol instead?”

Mihyun and Chanyeol both froze at her father’s words, and Chanyeol snuck a quick glance over at Mihyun before staring intently into the glass cup before him. To become the Noye of Mihyun’s would be a dream come true, but he knew that he wouldn’t take that away from Sehun or Luhan, nor would Mihyun actually choose him over the two.

“If the lawsuit is to go clearly through, than all of the Noyes of that place will be partially under my care already, would they not?” Mihyun responded simply as she took a small bite of the salad in front of her.

Chando’s head nodded approvingly at his daughter’s words, “Still so clever, my young daughter. Although Woosung is a good friend of mine, the fact that his son your face is simply unforgivable! And to think that he was actually trying to persuade me to form a contract to give you to his son for marriage! How could he even dare to do such a thing to a small, fragile girl?” Chando scowled as he stabbed angrily at his meal. “Don’t you worry, Mihyun. The lawsuit will follow through without a problem.”

Mihyun gazed over to her father and gave him a polite nod, “Thank you, father.”

Chanyeol snuck another glance at the girl besides him, surprised to see how different she acted here and when she was with the boys. Mihyun seemed to restrain almost every word she said, and with the little words she spoke and her lack of enthusiasm, she almost really did seem like the small, fragile girl Chando described her as. How could she manage to change her character almost completely when she was with the other boys?

“Chanyeol,” Chando called out in a booming voice.

Chanyeol’s head snapped upwards and he stared at Chando with obedience. “Yes, sir?”

“How would you like to get away from that Noye house?” Chando asked with a wide grin.

Chanyeol’s jaw dropped open at his words, and Mihyun’s eyes widened with alarm.

“W-What do you mean, sir?” Chanyeol choked.

“I could easily arrange for you to be set free from your title of being a Noye,” Chando stated nonchalantly as he his growing beard. “I could have you be a body guard for Mihyun, or a servant here. How would you like that?”

He would have loved that. Honestly.

He opened his mouth almost immediately to agree, but closed it once more in hesitance. How could he leave Baekhyun? How could he leave the other boys he called Hyungs and Dongsaengs? He knew that one day they would all be separated, claimed as Noyes by different people across Korea and never see each other again, but he didn’t like to think about it, and he certainly didn’t like the idea that he would be the first one to leave. He wouldn’t be able to live with the idea of having a good life with Mihyun while the others suffered in the cages living like animals.

“I… I-I…” Chanyeol stated uncertainly.

Chando’s eyes narrowed at his hesitance. “What are you thinking about, boy? I’m giving a chance that you should jump at! What, do you think you are too good for this position? For this life I am offering you?”

Chanyeol’s eyes widened and he quickly shook his head. “Not at all, sir! I have been honored so many times today. First, to step into the home and be protected and treated by a family of such high prestige, second, to actually dine at the same table with a man as high in honor and title as you, sir, and third, to actually receive the chance to abandon the title of a Noye and receive a dream come true. It is almost a miracle, sir. It is just…”

“Just?” Chando asked with a raised eyebrow.

“I… I have friends, sir,” Chanyeol responded in a quiet voice. “And I… I wouldn’t feel right abandoning them, sir.”

Chando let out a loud laugh at Chanyeol’s reason, “That is all? Just because of that?”

Chanyeol took a deep gulp of air and he slowly nodded his head, “My friends… my friends mean the world to me.”

Mihyun’s eyes softened as she gazed at Chanyeol’s torn expression, and she gave his hand a small squeeze of reassurance.

“Let me give you a piece of advice, Chanyeol,” Chando stated as he took a long sip of wine from his glass cup. “In this world, there are no such thing as friends.”

Both Mihyun and Chanyeol turned rigid.

“In this world, there is only power and money,” Chando continued, unaware of the sudden tension in the room. “Friends?” he scoffed, spitting out the words as if it tasted horrible just to say them. “Friends are weaknesses. Friends are beings that take your money and your power and stab you in the back at a later time. Friends are simply people you stay with to make the time pass but nothing more, and they are certainly not a reason to pass up such an offer like this one.”

This was the reason why a part of Mihyun despised her father. She loved him, no doubt, but he was made up of a set of qualities that Mihyun would never grow to love. For 16 years Mihyun had grown up mainly in isolation, the only people to keep her company were the either the people who worked at the mansion or her school teachers. Friends? She wasn’t ever allowed such a thing. Like her father had said, friends were considered as a weakness, and Mihyun was not allowed to have any weaknesses.

Mihyun gently caressed Chanyeol’s clenched fist, knowing that if the other was to speak back against her father, even she wouldn’t be able to fight against the punishment he might grant Chanyeol.

“Father,” Mihyun quickly stated in a calm voice before Chanyeol could have the chance to speak. “Father, Chanyeol is certainly honored with your offer. It seems as though your kindness is too much for him to register. Please give him some time to think over your offer.”

“What time does he need to think?!” Chando exclaimed incredulously. “I am offering a lifetime opportunity! I am offering him freedom!”

“Yes, but please, father,” Mihyun responded patiently. “You must see this from Chanyeol’s perspective. His entire life he has been treated with such disrespect and unjust actions, imagine the shock and scramble his mind must be going through right now to receive an offer as kind and generous as the one you have just offered him. I highly doubt his mind is even capable of functioning right now, so please give him some time to organize his thoughts.”

Chando nodded his head approvingly, “Such a well thought perspective, Mihyun. You are always the one to bring out the rationality of things.” He turned to Chanyeol with a more gentle expression, “I will give you two days to get back to me on my offer, Chanyeol. Any longer and you should consider the offer to be nullified.”

Chanyeol gulped and nodded his head, murmuring a quiet “Thank you.”

“It seems as though both Chanyeol and I have finished our meals. Please excuse us, father. It isn’t good for Chanyeol to be sitting upright for so long and he should go back upstairs to rest his injury,” Mihyun stated as she rose from her chair, leaving her practically untouched meal on the table. She gestured for Chanyeol to do the same, and he quickly clattered off of his chair. “Good night, father.”

Chanyeol quickly bowed after her, and the two turned around to head back upstairs and into Mihyun’s bed room.

“Mihyun,” Chando called out, stopping the two mid step before they could leave the dining room.

“Yes?” Mihyun asked patiently as she turned back around.

“You’ve changed immensely, Mihyun,” Chando’s father stated as the corner of his lips curved into a small smile. “You have been speaking with much more words lately, and I’ve caught you almost smile on multiple occasions. I am glad to see what your visits to the Noye house have done to you.”

Mihyun gave her father a polite smile and a small bow before waving him goodnight once more.

“I am very sorry, Chanyeol,” Mihyun whispered in a quiet voice once the two of them were in the safety confines of Mihyun’s bedroom. “For my father’s insensitive words, I apologize greatly on his behalf.”

Chanyeol gave her a weak smile and shook his head, “Your father was much more pleasant than I imagined most men of his status to be. The words he told me today are completely justified in his perspective, and the offer he has given to me contains more generosity than I could ever ask for.”

“Yet?” Mihyun asked.

“Yet…” Chanyeol sighed as he pressed his face into the palms of his hands. “Yet I don’t know what to do, Mihyun. I know that in a few years from now, we will all be separated eventually, and it would be ridiculous of me to pass up on this wonderful offer and end up with an abusive master a few years down the road… yet… yet the guilt just consumes me - the guilt of leaving the others behind to claim a better life on my own.”

Mihyun nodded her head empathetically. “I see what a predicament you are in, Chanyeol. Perhaps a good night’s rest will help clear your mind. Set your thoughts aside and pick them up tomorrow morning.”

Chanyeol heaved a heavy sigh and nodded his head, “You are right.”

“Come, let me guide you to the room you will be staying in for the night,” Mihyun offered.

Chanyeol looked up at her in surprise. “You mean I’m not staying here with you?” Realizing what he had just said, a crimson blush captured Chanyeol’s face and he lowered his head in embarrassment. “S-Sorry, I-I just meant.”

Mihyun laughed gently and placed a hand against the top of Chanyeol’s head. “It is fine, Chanyeol. I honestly have no problem staying in the same room as you tonight, but the other workers nor my father would deem that appropriate.”

Chanyeol nodded his head and stood up to be led to his room, still hanging his head from the remaining embarrassment.

“Have a good night’s rest, Chanyeol,” Mihyun smiled as she clicked on the lights of Chanyeol’s momentary bedroom. “Tomorrow morning we will have breakfast here and then depart for the cages.”

Chanyeol nodded his head and waved Mihyun a quiet goodbye before she closed the door to depart to her own room. With a heavy heart, Chanyeol dragged his feet over to the grand bed and threw himself upon it. Normally if he was in front a bed this large and soft, he would have been gleefully jumping to his heart’s content on it, but tonight was not the night for childish jumping.

He stripped himself of his clothes and changed into the pajamas that were nicely folded on the bedside table, and quickly washed himself up before  carefully lying stomach first against the bed. Despite the silk blanket, cushioned mattress, and the fluffy pillows, he knew he would not be capable of earning a wink of sleep that night.

 

 

“Hyung!” Jongin exclaimed in happiness, the first to see Mihyun and Chanyeol enter the cage. “You’re alright!”

The heads of the other occupants of the cage darted up, and they quickly dropped everything they were doing to make their way to the tall male they had missed.

“You a-are be-better, th-then?” Kyungsoo asked shyly.

Chanyeol gave him a thumbs up and a wide grin. His eyes softened once they laid themselves upon the small, tearful man that was standing in front of him. “Baekhyun… were you that worried about me?”

Baekhyun quickly swiped his eyes with the back of his arm and gave Chanyeol a shaky smile. “Y-Yah, wh-what are you t-talking about?”

“Now you sound like Kyungsoo,” Chanyeol smiled good naturedly as he engulfed Baekhyun into a tight hug, ignoring the cry of protest from Kyungsoo. With the taller’s arms wrapped around him, Baekhyun felt himself break into a fresh batch of tears. “D-Do you know how w-worried I was?! I almost d-died watching you get wh-whipped yesterday! It hurt so much!”

“Yes, yes, I know,” Chanyeol smiled sadly as he gently caressed the other’s back. “I’m sorry, Baekhyun. I’m sorry for being so foolish. It won’t happen again.”

“I-It better not!” Baekhyun sniffed as he threw weak punches to the other’s chest.

From the small, sad smile that was stretched across Chanyeol’s face, Mihyun knew already that Chanyeol was going to have to reject her father’s offer. That wasn’t the only thing Mihyun detected between the two of them, however. It was as if there was an unspoken relationship between the two of them that developed a little further than simple friendship. Her eyes were simply good at detecting things like that, the true interests human beings held. She didn’t know if it was from the way Baekhyun clung to the thin material of Chanyeol’s chest like his life depended on it, or if it was how tightly Chanyeol held his arms around Baekhyun, as if he was the only thing that could protect the smaller from the cruelty of the world, but everything about the way they felt about each other stepped well over the boundaries of mere friendship.

Mihyun frowned at the idea of the two being engaged in a bond stronger than friendship. It wasn’t because she had any prejudice against it, not at all. She believed if two people were happy with each other, then they should be happy with each other, and that it was as simple as that. She also knew, however, that other people didn’t have the same beliefs as her, many other people.

She was taken away from her thoughts when she registered a small tap against her shoulder. She glanced away from the hugging males and up at Sehun who was staring down at her.

“Thank you for saving him,” Sehun stated in a quiet voice.

A genuine smile graced itself onto Mihyun’s lips, and she gently shook her head. “This is something that shouldn’t receive a thanks, Sehun."

Now it was Sehun who shook his head. “To you this might seem like an obvious action, Mihyun, but almost every other being in the world would have left Chanyeol there to bleed to his death.”

Mihyun stayed silent at Sehun’s words, but she knew he had spoken the truth.

Oh how she knew.