Trepidition

자유 True Beauty

tredpidation [tre-pə-ˈdā-shən]  n. - a feeling of fear that causes you to hesitate because you think something bad or unpleasant is going to happen.

 

“You’re crazy, aren’t you?” Baekhyun asked as he stared down at the photo on Mihyun’s phone with disbelief. “You’re crazy, crazy, absolutely crazy.”

“How the hell did you do this?” Chanyeol asked incredulously; he didn’t know whether he should be impressed that Jongin had managed to capture a picture of the map, or furious that the other had even tried.

“If I tell you you’d get mad,” Jongin answered simply as he smiled smugly down at him. “So I’m not going to say a word.”

“Kim Jongin, seriously what did you do?” Sehun asked with narrowed eyes and crossed arms. He was actually incredibly impressed that Jongin had managed to achieve such a success, but refused to give the other any bit of satisfaction. Jongin could have died for what he had done, and Sehun wasn’t about to congratulate him for getting lucky.

There was a long pause as Jongin contemplated as to whether or not he should confess his actions. He glanced around the room to gauge the expressions of the others before training his gaze onto the ground, deep in thought.

“Jongin,” Baekhyun called out in a warning tone. He held his hand up threateningly, not afriad to smack the boy upside his head if he didn't confess.

“I may have knocked the guards out or something like that,” Jongin admitted under his breath.

“You did what?!” Chanyeol exclaimed incredulously as he slammed the palms of his hands down against the floor. “Oh god, you’re dead. They’re going to come looking for you and take you and kill you – what have you done Kim Jongin? Oh god, oh god.”

“Relax, they didn’t even see me,” Jongin dismissively waved his hand at him. “And I didn’t punch him or something like that; I just mixed a few chemicals around and smashed it in his face."

A small smile spread across his face as he recalled the memory, "It was kind of funny to be honest, he just fidgeted around for a few seconds before going limp." The smile quickly disappeared once Baekhyun shot him a deathly glare.

“That’s even worse than if you punched them!” Chanyeol cried as he threw his arms up into the air with disbelief. “How did you know what you were doing? You could have killed them!”

Jongin rolled his eyes at Chanyeol’s nagging, and simply shrugged him off. “You know I work in the chemical storage after all. There was this one time one of the newbies knocked over a few bottles, and the combination knocked him out for a few hours. I just mixed them together in a little bottle, soaked it in a bit of cloth, and shoved it against the guy’s face.”

“You’re either a genius or an idiot,” Sehun sighed as he shook his head.

“An idiot is my pick,” Chanyeol muttered under his breath.

“Why can’t you guys just be appreciative?” Jongin sighed as he rolled his eyes. “What’s done has been done, and we wouldn’t be able to make it anywhere without this, so you’re all welcome.”

“Kim Jongin.”

Jongin flinched against Mihyun’s hard tone, and he glanced meekly over at her, “Yeah?”

Mihyun continued to stare blankly at him for a few more seconds before softening her expression, “Thank you.”

A wide grin quickly spread across Jongin’s face and he held a thumb up, “No problem!”

“But if you ever try something like this again, we won’t have to wait for the guards to kill you because I’ll do it myself,” Mihyun continued with a sharp look. “Are we clear?”

Jongin let out a silly smile and pressed the side of his hand against his forehead as a salute, “Yes Ma’am!”

“I’ll look this map over tonight, and organize areas as to where we should plant the bombs,” Mihyun nodded as she carefully tucked her phone into her pocket. “There’s going to be a browsing event in a few days, so security around certain places will decrease by a lot.”

“If it’s a browsing event, doesn’t the security tighten up?” Chanyeol asked with a confused expression.

Mihyun shook her head and explained, “Most of the Noye house security is stationed in the main hall where all the guests will be attending, which means security in other places that won’t be visited by the guests will be loosened.”

“And so where do we come in?” Yongguk asked as he stepped back into the cage with the other boys in tow.

Mihyun smiled up at them as a greeting, “Just in time. You all will be split up into pairs and will be assigned a specific area to plant a bomb in. Unfortunately I won’t be able to directly help you on the day because I have to be one of the guests attending the browsing event, but I will be keeping my eyes and ears open for anything that might be happening. I’ll organize everything tonight and inform you all of everything tomorrow.”

“This is going to be dangerous, and although it isn’t likely that you’ll be caught, it still remains as a possibility. If you don’t want to take the risk, tell me now and I’ll remove you from the planning,” Mihyun continued, training her eyes mainly on Youngjae as she spoke.

“You don’t even need to tell us that,” Jongin smirked as he folded his arms. He turned his gaze over to the latest additions of the group, and narrowed his eyes at them. “Well?”

“We’re in,” Yongguk nodded his head firmly as he shot Youngjae a hard look.

Youngjae opened his mouth to protest, but reluctantly closed it after being nudged in the ribs, courtesy of Himchan.

“Looks like things are finally starting to get interesting around here,” Jongin smirked as he cracked his knuckles. He slid his hand into his pocket, and clenched his fingers around the small scrap of paper Kyungsoo had sacrificed his life protecting. “It’s about damn time.”

 

 

“Why can’t I be with Baekhyun?” Chanyeol whined as he flailed his limbs childishly around Baekhyun’s waist. “No offense to you Luhan Hyung, but I can protect Baekhyun much better than anybody else!”

“I don’t need your protection, giant,” Baekhyun rolled his eyes as he elbowed his way out of Chanyeol’s grip. He wrapped his arm around Luhan’s shoulders and grinned, “I’m perfectly fine with my partner!”

Luhan smiled gratefully up at Baekhyun, causing the latter male to reach out and happily stretch the elder's cheeks for "looking so damn cute!".

“No complaints, Chanyeol,” Mihyun shrugged simply as she handed him and Minseok the area they were supposed to infiltrate. She had the picture Jongin had taken on her phone blown up, and was incredibly grateful for the great detail the map possessed. “I split you up into pairings after a lot of thought. You and Minseok go best together because you work in the same area that I’m assigning to you, and therefore know the surroundings a lot better. Luhan and Baekhyun both work in the guard house often, so they’re the best pair for that area.”

“But they are both two little shrimps,” Sehun added in, holding his hands up defensively when both Luhan and Baekhyun shot him dirty looks. “If they get caught who’s going to protect them?”

“The guard house is the safest place there is,” Mihyun explained as she tapped her finger against the said area on the map. “It should be completely abandoned because any guard caught slacking off on the day of the browsing event will suffer dire consequences. They know better than to even set a single foot in their resting house.”

“I’ll slowly be bringing the explosives over the next few days, and you all must take great care to hide these from prying eyes,” Mihyun continued as she pulled her bag from her shoulder to set in front of her. “They vary in sizes, and I’ll go over where each specific bomb is supposed to planted in your designated areas.”

“I’ve already hacked into the security base of the Noye house, and there are very few cameras installed anywhere, so you won’t have to worry too much about being caught on camera. This however is also a setback, because although I will have access to the cameras, they cover very small areas, meaning that I won’t be able to warn you exactly when others are approaching. When the day comes I’ll meet briefly with you all in the morning to hand out ear pieces so we can easily communicate with each other. A friend of mine, Yixing – don’t look at me like that Jongin, he can be trusted – will be monitoring the screens, so don’t be alarmed if a foreign voice speaks out,” Mihyun explained in a hushed tone as the boys gathered closely around her. “You only have one job, so be careful. You get in, plant the bomb, get out – easier said than done.”

“I’ll go into much greater detail after generalizations, so do you have any questions?” Mihyun asked as she glanced around the room, gauging the expressions of the boys.

A slow, shy hand slowly rose from the crowd of heads. “I wanted to ask earlier, but what is a browsing event?” Junhong asked as he scratched his head. He was a relatively new Noye, and didn’t know much about society’s customs.

A dark expression took over Mihyun’s face, and she clenched down hard on her teeth in silence.

Junhong was taken aback by her sudden change, and quickly waved his hands, “You don’t need to tell me, I was just curi—”

 “It’s an annual event sponsored by a different Noye house every time. The Noye house takes their best Noyes, or Cheonyeos as they call them, that they’ve been training for years and put them up for auction,” Mihyun spoke up quietly, her hands balled into tight fists at her sides.

“What’s so special about them?” Chanyeol asked with a cocked head. He had heard of the browsing event held at their Noye house every few years, but had little idea as to what was done there. Although many of the Noyes had kept their label for years, very few knew anything outside of what the Noye house wanted them to know.

There was a brief moment of silence before Mihyun slowly continued, “Cheonyeos are females. Haven’t you ever wondered why only males are titled as Noyes? These females are usually taken at seven or so years old, and are kept in isolation until they are around sixteen. During their captivity, they’re… they’re…”

“They’re trained,” Baekhyun continued as he placed a gentle hand on Mihyun’s upper arm. He had learned the details after eavesdropping on the discussions guards have in their resting house. “To relieve any desire of their future master. What makes them so special is that they’re young, they’re beautiful, and most importantly they’re s.”

The room went silent as the occupants absorbed Baekhyun’s words, including those who had already known what was done during the browsing event.

“Can’t we… can’t we save them too?” Junhong asked as he turned to Mihyun with a hopeful expression. “We can free them too, can’t we?”

Mihyun dropped her gaze to the ground as she spoke quietly in response, “There is an extent as to what we can and can’t do.”

“Cheonyeos aren’t kept in the Noye house,” Baekhyun explained as he gestured to the cage they live in. “They grow up in a place a lot bigger and better than this. They sleep in beds and eat meals and have classes… but… if I got to choose I’d pick our life without a doubt.”

“Why is that?” Himchan asked curiously. “I would be pretty happy to sleep in a bed.”

Baekhyun shook his head, “Cheonyeos are trapped in that place forever until they’re sold at a browsing event. They’re whipped both mentally and physically into condition; they’re starved to be skinny, trained to be obedient, it’s… it’s really horrible.”

“The rule here is that if you’re unsold for twenty or more years, you’re set free – nobody’s ever been here for twenty years, but that’s the law,” Mihyun continued after taking a deep breath. “If you’re not sold during the first browsing event you attend as a Cheonyeo, you’re sold overseas as a slave. Likewise, that’s never happened before either, but that’s the rule. Security there is doubled, or even tripled the amount compared to here. It's nearly impossible to get in, and even harder to get out."

“So there’s… no hope for them, is there?” Chanyeol murmured quietly, feeling immensely pitiful for the girls he had never met before.

Mihyun fell silent for a brief period of time before quietly speaking up, “Maybe one day they’ll be free. But that’s… that’s not our battle to fight.”

“Life is cruel,” Minseok murmured quietly under his breath.

All the others remained silent, mentally agreeing with the words of the elder.

 

 

“I think you’re more nervous about this than we are,” Sehun chuckled as he nudged Mihyun’s waist gently with his elbow. “Relax, will you? All you have to do it walk around looking pretty. We’re the ones who have to do the dirty work.”

Several days has passed, and Mihyun had made good use of that time to prepare the boys with everything that was to come. The day of the browsing event had finally arrived, and Mihyun was nearly sweating through her new dress as she sat in the car with heavy anticipiation.

“Maybe we should scrap this plan and come up with something else, I don’t think it’s a good idea to have you all risk your lives like that,” Mihyun murmured to herself as she fidgeted in spot.

“We only have one job, Mihyun, you said so yourself,” Sehun smiled as clasped his hand around Mihyuns. “Get in, plant the bomb, and get out. Easy peasy.”

“I also said easier said than done,” Mihyun sniped back as pulled her hand away from Sehun’s.

“Besides, we already knew that we would have to risk our lives to make this a success from the very, very beginning,” Sehun added as he rewrapped his hand around hers like nothing happened.

Mihyun let out a huff of air as she drummed the fingers of her other hand against her lap. She looked up when her fidgeting hand was taken into a pair of soft ones, and smiled gently when she met eyes with Luhan.  We’ll be fine.

“You don’t know that,” Mihyun frowned.

The corners of Luhan’s eyes crinkled into crescents as he erased his words to replace it with new ones. If anything, we’ll sacrifice Youngjae first and run.

“Luhan!” Mihyun exclaimed with a gaping jaw of disbelief. “Don’t joke about that!”

Luhan’s mouth opened to let out a silent laughter, and he grinned happily at Mihyun. I’m just saying what we’re all thinking.

“He’s got a point,” Sehun agreed with a nodding head.

“You two are terrible,” Mihyun sighed, still she couldn’t help but let out a small smile of her own. Her heart was still thumping roughly against her chest, however, and she a flood of horrible possible events kept entering her mind. She was yanked out of her thoughts when she felt a pair of soft lips press against her temple. Her eyes widened in surprise, and her head whipped over to Sehun in alarm.

“Now you can just think about that the entire time instead of worrying,” Sehun grinned smugly as he ran his hand coolly through his hair.

Luhan’s body began to convulse in another round of silent laughter as he quickly scribbled across his board. What a dork.

“Hyung!” Sehun cried in protest as he reached across Mihyun to pull Luhan’s board away from him.

“Will you stop acting like a child?” Mihyun smiled as she smacked Sehun’s hand away.

Sehun sat back and pouted when Luhan stuck out a tongue in his direction. “He started it,” he muttered under his breath as he sulked in his seat.

“We’re here,” Jaesuk called out as pulled the car up the Noye entrance. “I’ll park the car first and then come get you, Agashi. The browsing event starts in half an hour, so you have some time to stay down with the others until it starts.”

“Come on, let’s go see if the others are as nervous as Mihyun is,” Sehun grinned mischievously as he tugged on Luhan.

“How are you all completely calm about this?” Mihyun asked with narrowed eyes as she stared at Jongin and Chanyeol who were carelessly arm wrestling each other.

“What is there to be worried about?” Baekhyun shrugged, crying out in protest when Chanyeol lost.

“You are all ridiculous,” Mihyun sighed as she shook her head. “Alright, come here so I can help you attach your ear pieces.”

After successfully attaching their ear pieces – Chanyeol with a bit more difficulty than others – they were all split up into their pairs and prepared to depart to their area.

“Yixing is watching the surveillance cameras, so he’ll let you know if somebody is approaching. He can’t see it all the time, however, so make sure you keep your eyes and ears open at all time,” Mihyun warned them as she glanced down at her watch. She bit down hard on her bottom lip once she realized it was time for her to go, and quickly pulled Baekhyun, who was closest to her, in for a hug before moving on to the rest.

“Be safe, alright?” Mihyun whispered as she wrapped her arms tightly around Sehun when it was his turn. “Make sure you watch out for yourself and Jongin.”

“I’ll try, but it’s hard,” Sehun chuckled as he inhaled a deep breath of Mihyun’s scent before letting her go.

“I would kiss you, but I don’t want that to be all you’re thinking about when you should be concentrating on your job,” Mihyun smiled teasingly as she pulled away from the male.

Sehun stared down at her thoughtfully for a few seconds before quickly darting down to press his lips against hers for a light peck. He pulled away with a smug look on his face, smirking at the expression of surprise that stretched across Mihyun’s face.

“Too late.”

“Yah, when did you get all smooth?!” Chanyeol screeched with laughter as he wrapped his arm around Sehun’s neck, easily ruining the moment between the two of them.

“Are you stupid?” Baekhyun sighed as he smacked Chanyeol roughly against the back of his head. He yanked Chanyeol’s arms from Sehun and smiled apologetically at the pair before forcefully shoving Chanyeol away. “Sorry about that, carry on.”

Mihyun and Sehun stared at the pair speechlessly before turning back to each other, laughing quietly once they met eye contact.

“Be careful,” Mihyun smiled gently as she reached up to pat the male’s head.

“Shouldn’t you give me some motivational energy?” Sehun asked with raised eyebrows as he pursed his lips for further emphasis.

Mihyun rolled her eyes as she pushed him away, “I think I liked you better when you were quiet and stoic.”

She let out a small sigh when Sehun’s face drooped into a heavy pout. She held up a thumb and pressed the pad of her finger against her lips before pressing it firmly against Sehun’s. A small blush quickly captured her cheeks, and she spun around before Sehun could catch a glimpse. “T-That’s all you get. Don’t get caught or I’ll kill you.”

Sehun grinned dumbly, watching her as she quickly walked away after exchanging quick words of encouragement with the others.

“Come on, are you ready to stop staring at Mihyun? She’s already gone,” Jongin sighed as he wrapped his arm around Sehun’s shoulders.

 “Isn’t she cute?” Sehun smiled dreamily as he pressed the pads of his fingers against his lips, still feeling the nice burn of the girl’s touch.

Jongin rolled his eyes and patted the other’s back, “Yeah, of course she is, now let’s get going.”

Sehun’s eyes narrowed at his words and he pulled away from Jongin with a frown on his face, “What did you say? Have you been checking her out?”

“You are an idiot,” Jongin groaned as he spun Sehun around to shove him forward. “Now hurry the hell up.”

“Because that’s not cool with me, Jongin. I’ve made it very clear that she’s mine,” Sehun continued with furrowed eyebrows.

“Sehun, just shut up.”

“And you might be my friend but –”

“Oh Sehun I am going to shove my fist up your if you don’t shut up right now.”