Chapter eight

Remembering and Making Memories

I let out a soft sigh as I sat on the couch, just as my phone rang too. Without even checking to see who it is, I answered.

            “Yebuseyo?”

            “Jade?”

            “Oh Larry, what is it?” How can I forget? I came here for a job.

            “We track down her [Sulli] brother. It seems like he’s back in Korea. We don’t know why, but I want you to keep an eye out. Understand?” I can hear orders being given even from the other line of the phone, it’s getting hectic there.

            “Yes, I understand.” I said more formally than I expected. I’m surprised I didn’t add in sir.

            “Good. Call me if anything happens.” He said and hung up. I put my phone on the table. My head is spinning; I’m starting to think that this is all a bad idea. I still haven’t found out how Dan found me too. I groan, I wish I can escape, running away has always been one of my many talents. But then again no, I need to finish what I started.

            I decided to wait for Sulli, so after showering I found myself sleeping on the couch. Only to be awaken by the sound of Sulli and Jr talking right outside the door. I sat up sleepily, not bothering to open the door because I know Sulli has the spare key.  I heard more talking, Sulli giggling and Jr’s chuckle and then the sound of the lock being open. “Good night, oppa.” Said Sulli and went inside, her eyes sparkling. She was surprised to see me waiting for her, she sat down beside me (more like jump onto the couch after skipping all the way from the door).  “Thanks.” She said suddenly, leaning her head on my shoulder. I jolted up, not feeling so sleepy anymore. “Why the sudden thank you?” I ask, trying to remain my calm demeanour. It was sudden, but anyone could tell she was sincere. “Just, for everything. It’s been a long time since I’m this happy.” She said, staring at the ceiling with her big grin. “And you’re thanking me because-?”

            “I’m grateful for a friend like you.”

Good thing she’s too happy to notice my sudden change of expression. Guilt, guilt covering every inch of me. But before anything else can happen, she jumps up. “I’ll go wash up real quick before going to sleep. You should go to bed, school tomorrow.” She said, still smiling as she entered the bathroom to clean her make-up. I lay in bed thinking all kinds things.

What if she finds out?

That I’m befriending because of a job? Using her?

 That I’m actually here to know about her brother, that I might even put him in jail?

The lights went off and I felt Sulli getting into bed. I didn’t have to wait long before I can hear her sleeping, unlike her, I might not sleep a single wink tonight. I sigh as I once again change my position, trying to get comfortable. But how can you be comfortable when you’re uneasy inside, and not because of the bed? You just can’t.

The next morning Jr. was already waiting for Sulli. “See ya in class Jiwon!” she chirped happily. I rolled my eyes, she’s dumping me already? Well, it’s not like I mind. I like seeing her happy. I open up my locker and put in my books.  Just as I was closing it, I saw Victoria at the end of the hallway, carrying some books.  She didn’t seem to notice me, the books she was carrying was a lot and looked pretty heavy. “Woah!” she said as the book began to slip. “Unnie!” I said running to her and caught the books just in time, totally forgetting my wounded wrist. I wince as the books hit it.

“Omo, Jiwon-ah! Kumawo.” She said half-heartedly.

With that I helped her carry all the books to her table. I forgot my wrist was bandaged until Victoria mentioned it.

“What happened?” she asked, pointing at my wrist. I was taken aback for a while, she’ll tell Changmin if I tell her, which I wasn’t even planning to.

“Oh, this? It’s nothing. I just fell, on my way home the other day.”

“Well, have you gone to the hospital? Is it bad?” she said, taking it to have a closer look. I just stood there watching her, it’s weird seeing her being concern when we barely know each other.

“Yeah, it’s fine.” I manage to say. She smiled at me, but suddenly stops after seeing someone behind me. I turned around and immediately bow. It was the headmistress, I saw Victoria doing the same. “Headmistress.” She said, losing her friendly tone. “I- er, I’ll be leaving now.” I said, it’s clear that I’m not welcome here now. I nod to Victoria and another bow to the headmistress, she wasn’t even looking at me. But of course I can’t just leave. There was an intense atmosphere when the headmistress entered and I can feel it. I stop at the door, my ears already on their eavesdropping mode.

“You would be taking another extra class to substitute Miss Kim who just transferred.” Said the headmistress, more like giving an order though.

“But headmistress, my schedule-”

“Do you want me to tell the-”

“I mean yes, of course.” I raised my eyebrow at this, tell what to whom?

“Good. Keep in mind who brought you here Miss Victoria, and also who can kick you out.”

“Yes, I will.”

“You can leave now.” Weird. It’s Victoria’s table but she was told to leav- she’s leaving! I ran to the end of the hallway and hid at the corner just as the door opened. I took a peek and saw Victoria sighing heavily before walking at the opposite hallway. I wonder what’s going on between her and the headmistress. I sigh and walked to class –luckily the hallway I took leads to class- and saw Sulli talking to someone. I was just about to say hi when I saw she was crying while talking to- wait, is that her brother? My eyes widen, just about to hide myself again when she noticed me.

“Jiwon!”

I had no other option but to walk to her, feeling her brother’s eyes on me. That’s definitely Siwon alright. She took my arm without saying anything and pulled me with her to class, I look back to see her brother with his hands inside his pockets, watching us.

When we arrived in class, Sulli was silent. I held in my curiousness. I’ll wait, she will tell me. At lunch time when the whole class have left, I looked at her, asking for an answer without having to speak.

“He’s my brother.” She said softly. “He, he came to tell me to run away.”

“What??”

“Don’t tell anyone, please.”

“You know I won’t. But run away? Whatever for?” I wasn't expecting this to happen.

“He said something about getting caught, and that he didn’t do anything. Although I don’t know what though.” Take her? This is not the police he’s running away from. It must be somebody else. But who?

“Jiwon, what am I gonna do?” she asks me.

“Well, you- you’ll have to stay with me then. I don’t know about you but there’s something really fishy about all this.” She didn’t say anything so I kept talking. “He came back after all this years, and asks you to run away for who knows why? That’s not right Ssul.” I tried to reason her. I can’t protect her if she’s not with me, and I want to. Her eyes went teary again. “I don’t know Jiwon. He is my brother.” I hold her hand, “Just think about it okay?” She nods. I look at the time and suddenly felt like peeing. “I’m going to the toilet. You should go get something to eat, or do you want me to buy something for you?” Sulli shook her head. “No thanks, I don’t feel so hungry.” I sigh, “Okay then.” I said, heading out.

            The bell was just about to ring when I head to class. Just as I was entering somebody grab my arm and pulled me, away from the crowd. I know it wasn’t Mark, it was too rough, and I can always tell if it’s Mark, plus nobody else I know dares to pull me like this. I pulled my arm immediately when I got the chance and looked at the person. My eyes went wide.

            “What the hec-?”

            “Who are you?” Siwon cut in, his voice stern. I almost scoffed.

            “What do you mean? I’m Sulli’s friend.” I answered.

            “Name.” he said, eyes not leaving me. I look him in the eye too, not even the least scared.

            “Kim Ji Won.” I answered. The bell rang and I turn to leave but he grabs my wrist, this time the one that was bandage. I wince, tears threatening to come out because of his strong grip. He quickly let go after he saw my expression but he didn’t change his demeanour. “What?” I said, softly this time because of the pain. He looks like he’s thinking it over, but he didn’t say anything for some time and I got impatient. “Look, if you don’t have anything else to say, I have classes to attend.” I said coldly and left him.

            I got in class just as the teacher arrives, I bowed at her and sat down next to Sulli as always, messaging my wrist slowly. “What happened?” Sulli ask, opening her book. “Nothing.” I assured her and opened my book too.

            As school ends, I can see Sulli getting more nervous. Both Jr and Siwon are waiting for her, having an awkward atmosphere with them. Sulli said goodbye to me and went over to Jr to say something before leaving with her brother. Jr gave me a look but I just shrug it off, saying I don’t know either even though I knew. We bid each other goodbye and left. Him going to the opposite hallway.

            I was almost at the exit when somebody lifted me from behind. I smiled at the touch, forgetting Sulli for a second. “Mark let me down!” I laugh as he sets me down. “You look gloomy today, wanna talk about it?” he ask as he put his arms around me, I push him playfully before telling him. “It’s about Sulli.” I said. “Ahhh, girl problem? Or boys?” he said with his hands on his pockets, walking beside me. “Family.” I said, almost hesitating. “Let’s go grab something to eat then, cheer you up a bit.” He said walking to his car. I can tell he doesn’t want to talk about family matters.

Silently, I watch him from behind. He really got taller; his hair is red like he wanted it to since he was 15, he didn’t change much, but he is more, ah- manlier now. I continue to admire him until he called my name. I snap out of my little daydream. “What are you doing?” he said teasingly, I was caught red-handed. “Nothing.” I said blushing as I walk past him and into the car. “Where are we going?” I ask before he can say anything. “You’ll know when we get there.” He said putting his seatbelt on. I was just about to put on mine but it was stuck. “Aish.” I mumbled as I continue to pull it. Suddenly Mark moved and help me with it, making me see his face up close, I can even smell his body scent. He’s too close, I can feel myself blushing already, those feelings I have for him all those years coming back. “Yah, why are you blushing?” said Mark after he was finished putting the seatbelt on me. “I- I’m not. It’s, er, hot in here.” I said quickly, pretending to check if the seatbelt was secured. “Uh-huh.” He said with a teasing smile. “Shut up and drive Mark.” I said, punching him softly.

 

“Really Mark?” I said as we approached Han River. He’s been teasing me all the way and I didn’t notice where we were going. “What?” he said opening my door for me from outside, “You like the sound of water right? Well this is the nearest one. We’ll go to the sea some other time. Be grateful you ungrateful child.” He said. “Don’t use my words!” I said closing the door. ‘Be grateful you ungrateful child’ had always been mine, I use it all the time when they’re all being ungrateful or just for the fun of it. “Oh please, it’s not like you’re the only one who can use it.” he said walking beside me again. I rolled my eyes. We didn’t talk and just let the silence flow, he even left just to give me privacy, he really do understands me. I wonder what’ll happen if all of us are here right now, enjoying this view together like we always do up on the hill. I sigh sadly at the thought, it feels impossible, I don’t even know where they are. Even if I do, would they still remember me? Will we even be friends again? My phone rang just as Mark came back with two drinks.

“Yebuseyo?” I said, smiling at Mark as he gave me the other drink.

“Ji-Jiwon?”

“Ssul? Hello? Sulli what’s wrong?” she didn’t sound so good, she was crying.

“Where are you? I- I’m at your apartment right now and I didn’t bring the extra keys.” She said sniffing.

“Stay there okay? I’m on my way.” I said hanging up. “Going back?” Mark asks knowingly and I nod. “I’ll drive you back.” He said and I followed him to his car once again. I don’t know why but I have a feeling something is really wrong. Sulli’s already back and it had just been an hour. Plus she was crying when she called, she sounded scared too. “We’re here.” Mark announce as he parks his car right in front of the building, waking me up from my thoughts. “Thanks Mark.” I said opening the door. He waved me goodbye as I ran up the stairs.

“Sulli?” I called as I saw her sitting on the floor, her face buried in her hands. She looked up, her eyes now drying a little. She stood up and I hugged her tightly. “Let’s get inside first.” She said, breaking the hug. She sounded worried but I didn’t question it and just opened the door. “Hurry.” She urge looking around as if someone was gonna come barging on us. As soon as I unlocked it, she shoved me inside and locked the door. “Woah there, what’s going on?” I ask confused as I sat down on the couch. “I- I mean, we as in my brother and I, we-” she started to get teary eyed again but stopped herself and went on. “We were walking back home. Oppa thought it would be good exercise and well, he wanted to talk, he always liked to talk while walking. I agreed.” She sighs before continuing, “He was just telling about what happened in America when a black car stopped beside us, revealing some men all in black, they had guns! It happened so fast,” her tears were flowing now. “The men tried to grab me but oppa pushed me away, telling me to run away and that no matter what I can’t trust the police. I shouted for help but no one was there. They started to fight and he shouted for me to run, so I did. They didn’t caught up, oppa was busy distracting them. Jiwon… they got my brother!” She finished, crying now. I decided right then to tell her who I am, that I know where help is, when the door burst open. My eyes widen at the sight as Sulli screamed when she saw who they are.

 

 

     A/N: How long have I been gone? I know, pretty long. Sorry *bows deeply* I had a lot going on. I promise to try and update more often. Don't give up on me? hehe. Well, anyway, there will be more action after this chapter. That action tag will finally come true haha. Sorry if the chapters are short too. *another deep bow* I still hope you enjoyed them Okay then, thanks for stopping by! *waves frantically* :D