Chapter four

Remembering and Making Memories

The next day we took the bus and went to school early together. Sulli seems better than yesterday, glad she’s being her chirpy self again. She was going on about how she almost failed her exam last year when she suddenly stops talking. I looked at her, “What’s wrong?” I ask. She was looking straight ahead, so I look too. I let out an exasperate sigh. Really? Gosh this is immature, I thought as I kept walking with Sulli behind me.

            In front of me, the whole Got7 have gathered, blocking our way. Students started to gather to look at the new drama.

            “What do you guys want?” I ask, trying to sound casual. I need to calm myself, I can’t lose control again. “We came, for your apology.” Yugyeom said, cutting straight to the point. I grit my teeth, my anger is already boiling. Asking me to apologize in publicly when technically I did nothing wrong? I scoff in my head.

I composed myself before saying, “What for?” pretending not to know, even though the guy with the twisted foot –who turns out to be Youngjae- was right behind them, his foot seems okay though. I heard Yugyeom scoff and then looking me straight in the eye he said, “Oh just about that little injury you gave our friend yesterday. You see he missed soccer practice because of that.”

            “Ah, that self-defence thing I did when he tried to stop me from leaving and then tried to trip me?” I said, giving him a sarcastic face. I saw him frown slightly; yeah I’m not that easy, I thought to myself.

            “Hey you shove me firs-” said Youngjae from behind when I cut him, “Yeah, after you block my way.” I almost snap. “Still no reason to twist his damn foot.” Yugyeom snap back at me. “There’s no reason for him to try and block my way either. If he twisted my foot, would I be in front of you lining up like soldiers? No, I won’t.” Yugyeom was about to fight back when JB said, “Enough, class is about to start.” He said pulling Yugyeom back. He can probably tell that things won’t end up too pretty. “She needs to pay.” Argued Yugyeom. “With what?” I ask him, not able to resist myself. Yugyeom raised his eyebrows. “But then, who said I was wrong? Just because you’re doing, whatever you’re doing doesn’t mean I’m wrong.”  I said before he can say anything. “Oh you have no idea who you’re talking to.” Said Yugyeom. My turn to raise my eyebrows. What does that suppose mean?

 

Suddenly I felt a tug behind me. Oh yeah, Sulli. I turn gave her a small smile. “Whatever. Now if you please, I have classes to attend.” I said quickly taking Sulli’s hand and walked past them. But before that can even happen, Bambam hold on to me. I tense up. “Bambam-” I heard Mark warn him. “Let go or I’ll break your arm.” I said, firing up now. Bambam looked at Mark and then hesitantly let go. Sulli suddenly took the lead. She grabbed my hand and pulled me away, I let her.

            “Are they always like that?” I ask Sulli when we arrived in class, she’s been awfully silent. “Er, oh. Well, I guess you can say it’s nothing new to us. But Jiwon, if I were you, I wouldn’t want to get in trouble with them.” She said taking out her book. “What did I do? I did nothing wrong and you know that.” I said, also taking out my book. Sulli smiled at me. “Just ignore them okay? JB practically owns the school and the town. And Yugyeom’s family are one of the most powerful lawyers in Korea. And the others are like rich heirs. You don’t want to mess with them. There’s a reason why they can do all those stuff and gets away with it.” I widen my eyes. Oh you have no idea who you’re talking to, said Yugyeom. Now I understand. “Oh this is getting more and more like a drama.” I said as the teacher entered. Sulli smiled wryly at the comment.

            I skipped lunch so I don’t have to enter the cafeteria and risk seeing the boys again. I don’t want that to happen. I have enough for today. If Sulli’s right about them being powerful and all then I really need to avoid them. I might have guts to fight them but I’ll never be able to fight them with their family backgrounds. The rest of the day was a blur; I couldn’t even focus in class. As the last bell rang I was more than happy to pack my bags and leave. “Bye!” Sulli waved at me as she went with her friends. I smiled and waved back.

 I am now on my way to the bus stop when a car stop in front of me and Mark came out of it. I sigh. “Gosh what is your- YAH!” He was pulling me into his car, asking the driver to go. It was too late to go out of the car now. I pulled my arm from him, massaging it. He’s strong when he wants to be. “Where are you taking me?” I ask after a while. I’m not afraid, he’ll never physically hurt me anyway. The car stop as if answering my question, I look out the window and gasp. We were in a hill, no, our hill. I didn’t notice him going out and opening the door for me. “Aren’t you coming out?” he said offering his hand. I rolled my eyes, trying to look cool when I slowly come out, ignoring his hand.     But the memories strikes me hard. This hill was our favourite spot. Him, me, JinHee, AhReum, KangJoon and KangTa. Those time when we met secretly at night just for fun. This is where we confess things, where we always tell everything to each other, and also the last place where I talk to all of them before leaving for America. I blink away my tears.

“You okay?” he asks standing beside me. I wanted to glare at him, but only manage to look at him with my eyes full of sadness. “What do you want Mark?” I ask instead of answering, it came out softer than I wanted it to be. “I-I just want to talk, again. Properly talk.” He said and sat down at the edge of the hill like we always do. I sigh and slowly sat next to him, no backing out now. He really wants to talk. “How’s your mum?” he asks trying to sound casual. He knows she’s sick, but nobody here know she died. I bit my lip and answered, “She died, Mark. She’s gone.” I told him, surprisingly there were no tears. I’m not the kind to always cry anyway. But I still felt that emptiness inside me, that place that I know no one can ever replace. Everyone loved her. She was a mother to us all. She loves my friends like they were her own, so I can understand why Mark is now silent. I can see tears forming in his eyes as I look at him, but he blinked it away and then turn to look at me. “Ar- are you okay?” he asks looking at me in the eye. I turn away, “No, but there’s nothing anyone can do about it anyway.” I said.

“I- my father cheated on my mum. She left.” He confessed. It was my turn to look at him. We really are growing up, everything is changing. He looked at me too and gave me a sad smile. “My father’s business was at its highest peak. His company was getting bigger and bigger, and I guess he liked being powerful. And, things, happened.” He finished short.

“Have you heard from the others?” I ask changing the topic and looking away at the scenery in front of us. Even the city changed. He looked glad at the change of topic and said, “Let me see. I’ve never seen them as long as you haven’t. But we are all still in Seoul and you are the only one who left. Smarty pants KangTa got into the medical school he always wanted.”

“Medical? He’s becoming a veterinarian??” I said my eyes widening.

“He loves animal.” He chuckled.

“He never called?” He’s the only one who tried to contact me, and I assume he’s doing the same for the others. He stopped one day and I just thought that he stopped trying too.

“I don’t think he can. His parents are punishing him for not being a lawyer. I know, I know, he’s a doctor. But I don’t think his parents approve of him being an animal doctor. They expected him to be a surgeon or something more, ah, appropriate.” I sigh, that’s harsh.

“How’s-” I hesitate but continued. “How’s KangJoon?”

“I’m not sure. Heard he was dating AhReum though.”

“Ugh, I knew they had feelings for each other.” We laugh. “And JinHee?”

“No kidding. They weren’t obvious about it though haha. And, JinHee, her family are having some money problems now. Turns out her father have been borrowing money and they’re struggling to pay it back. AhReum,” he started without waiting for me to ask, “Her family’s fashion industry is going really well. She even modelled some of their own brand.”

“You little stalker.” I said softly while swaying my feet.

“I’m sorry, about everything.” It was sudden, but he sounds sincere.

“I know. Me too.” I said. And I am, it was childish of me acting like I acted. It wasn’t right; it was two years ago, we were young then, too young. Besides, a lot of things can happen in two years.

“About your mum too.”

“She was a mum to all of us too. Wasn’t she?” He nods.

“And your dad?”

“Dying inside.” It’s hard not talking to him. We’re best friends, it’s impossible.

“It’s nice being able to talk again. I missed you, well I missed all of you, but still.”

“Yeah, me too. But then, how come you’re one of the Got7’s?”

“It just, happened.” The sun was setting now, it was a beautiful view, I never did got tired of it.

“Let’s go, I’ll drive you home.” He said standing up and offered his hand. I took it and said, “Nah, I want to go home myself, but thanks.” He nods.

 

When I arrived home, I sat on the couch and all the memories came flooding back. I sigh sadly. I miss them more, thanks to Mark. I’m not even sure if I can ever meet them again. We stopped contacting each other for two whole years now. And it’s a long two years too. I realize a lot of things happened to all of us, a lot of things changed. I wish this never happened, that I was never here. What am I doing here? I’m 17, I’m not supposed to look for money. My father’s a freaking cop isn’t that enough? I never really did act like a teenager before, always acting mature. Maturity; one of the main topics of our fights. But what’s done is done, I’m here now. Better finish it quickly, and I’ll just go with the flow after.

 

I went to school as always. The happy go lucky girl. I space out sometimes but at least Sulli didn’t notice anything.

“Hey, wanna eat lunch with me?” asks Mark his hands around my shoulders and I remove it playfully, “What? With the whole Got7 and create another drama? No thanks.” I retort.

“We’ll eat on another table then.”

“I’ll just eat somewhere else. You know I hate the cafeteria. Sides, I brought my own lunch today.”

“Hmm, about time. I was wondering why you didn’t bring one befo- never mind. Have a good lunch then.” He said and walked away guiltily. My mum was the one who always pack my lunches. She sometimes packs more for Mark and the others and I would always share. I can tell why he was guilty.

I found a nice place at the school garden. Some students are here too but most of them are studying, barely touching their foods. They are so immerse in studying, I thought to myself. Suddenly JB walked by, he approaches me as soon as he saw me. “Can I sit here?” I looked up, surprised it was him. “Er, sure?” I said raising my eyebrows. I really don’t want any drama today. I almost finished eating. “Sorry to disturb you, but I just want to know, how did you know Mark?” I didn’t put down my eyebrows. “Why? I mean, we’re just, friends.” I answered him awkwardly.

“Aniya, just wondering because he never acted like that before. It’s puzzling me.”

“You mean the whole school?” He chuckled; maybe he’s not too bad after all. Maybe Sulli is right about him being nice. His phone suddenly rang and he answered it.

“JinHee-ah? Bueyo?” he said as I froze at the name. JinHee? “Wait a second.” He said on the phone before turning me, “Enjoy your lunch. I’ll get going now.” He said and left. “I was talking to someone. Why? Is anything wrong?” and then he was gone. I composed myself, there’s a lot of JinHee here. Right? I mean, I was just overreacting after meeting Mark, that’s all. It can’t be. It’d be a hell of a coincidence if it was. Besides, Mark would know. As my head mention Mark I quickly finish up and went to the cafeteria. As expected, he was eating with the Got7.

“Hey Mark.” I called him, trying to be silent but all eyes were already on me. I slap myself mentally, me and my curiosity. He raised his eyebrows but came anyway. I led him out of the cafeteria. “Does JB have a girlfriend?”

“Don’t tell me you stopped me from eating just to ask me this.” I hit his shoulder. “Ouch! Yah, that hurts!” he said pouting. I rolled my eyes. “Just answer it will you?” I said. “Yes he does. He’s the only one in our group that has one. Why?” he answered. “Well, what’s her name?” I ask again. “I don’t know.” I hit him again, harder this time. “Yah!” he shouted. “You’re in the freaking Got7 gang and you don’t know??” I ask, they were friends! “Yeah, but we don’t talk about our too personal life in there. He told us he has a girlfriend, never told us who. We never bothered to ask. As simple as that really.” He told me as if it was obvious. I sigh, “You seriously don’t know?” I ask again for the last time. “Yes, I really don’t know. Why are you so curious anyway?” he asks. “Eh, just because. Maybe I’m overreacting.” I said again. “Maybe you are, like you always do.” I tried to hit him again but he dodges and I missed. I stick out my tongue, “Shut up. Go and finish your lunch.” I said and left before he can come up with another remark.

I’m now on my way to class. Hoping to get to talk with Sulli today, class was really bothersome and got in the way when we tried to talk. On my way, I saw the headmistress; I suddenly remembered some files I had to send in. I ran to my locker and took them out and then quickly went to the headmistress office.

“Headmistress.” I said bowing. “Here, these are the files that you wanted from me.” I said smiling politely as I handed her the files. “Ahh, good, I was waiting for this. Sit down.” She offered me. I might be able to ask her about Sulli, so I did.  “Thank you.” I said.

“So, how are you enjoying the school?”

“Oh, it’s really nice. Everyone is good to me and is taking good care of me.” I lied smoothly.

“Have you made any friends?”

“Oh yes, plenty. Sulli, my classmate is a really good friend to me.”

“Ah yes, Choi Jinri right? She’s a good student. You picked the right friend.” I smiled.

“Yes, she really is. By the wa-” before I can finish the door was opened and revealed a young woman with long wavy hair. She was beautiful, and really nervous too, I thought as I saw her. It’s not like it was obvious she was nervous, but I just know it. The way she stands and bow, even the way she smiles. “Ahh, Victoria.” Said the headmistress. She was expecting her, I said to myself. “You can leave for class now Jiwon.” She said turning to me. I frown slightly; I wanted to talk about Sulli. But I shrug it off and stood up. I bowed to the headmistress and gave small nod to the newcomer. She must be the new teacher everyone has been buzzing about. She smiled at me before taking a seat in front of the headmistress.

I caught up with Sulli and we talked until the bell rang. I never notice but I do like talking to her. Not just because I have to, she’s just, a really nice company. Friend, a really nice friend. Another day passed as I wave her goodbye and headed home.

 

 

    A/N: So here's a new chap. Sorry for the late update. It's just that, I don't think anyone is even reading this xD But I'll try to update once a week as I mentioned before. So I mentioned Victoria here, wondering what her character is for? Well then, stay tuned. I'm not sure if this story is going to be a long one but I'll try to shorten it. Well, feel free to comment or anything (: Thanks for reading, if you are reading this, lol. Btw, I didn't have the chance to edit this through fully, so I apologies if they are any mistakes.

Til next time dear invisible readers! [If I have any that is]