Chapter three

Remembering and Making Memories

            “Mark.” I said, completely stunned.

            “What are you doing here?” he asks, his eyes not leaving my face.

            “I- nothing. It’s none of your business.” I said, slightly shaking my head and waking to my senses.

            I heard my phone beep. It was Leeteuk and he said that he’s already waiting outside. I put my phone away and walk (more like run) outside. “Jiwon! Yah!” I heard Mark called but I ignored him. I saw Leeteuk’s car and went inside, panting a little. “Been running?” I hear Leeteuk ask.

“Uh, yeah. Did you wait long?”

“Nah, just got here. The school is almost empty, what have you been doing?” he asks, eyes focus on the road.

“Oh, I was just observing that’s all.”

“Observing eh? I still refuse to believe this is your first time.” I smiled hearing his respond.

As he drove the car and let the silence flow, my mind drifts off to Mark. Who’s Mark? Well, he’s one of my childhood friends. My father used to always bring us here [Korea] on vacations. We have (okay had) a house and it was the same neighbourhood as Mark’s. There were six of us in total. There’s Jin Hee and Ah Reum who’s the same age as me. We’re the three girls in the group.  Mark and Kang Joon are the same age, a year older than me, and lastly Kang Ta who’s the oldest and most mature who is now 19. We grew up together since we were practically 4-5 years old. Our parents were good friends and we go to each other’s house like it was our own. Except for Kang Ta’s house though, his parents are strict. We were all growing up, and of course things were bound to change. Two years ago (yes, almost everything changes two years ago), just when my mother got sick, I got into an enormous fight with Mark. We were on the verge of dating, I mean, we like each other (more than friends obviously) that even the others started to notice. But things never got that far. We fought, about what I couldn’t recall. Jin Hee and Ah Reum also fought too, suddenly Mark was fighting with Kang Joon and I was angry at Ah Reum because she was siding Mark and Kang Joon was mad at Jin Hee; things just got out of control. It was only Kang Ta who was not fighting with anyone, and tried to stop us all. Things never worked out, or at least, there wasn’t any time for anything to be solved. I moved to America and never came back, I heard the others moved too, one by one. I never got to know why, and never bothered to find out. Our friendship stopped there, or at least I think so. I wonder what would happen if I never moved, if none of us moved and mend our friendship. You don’t just forget your childhood friends just like that you know, they’ll stay in that special place in your heart.

 “Jiwon? Hello? Beep beep, earth to Jiwon.” Said Leeteuk shaking me a little. I wake up from my thoughts, realizing we’re home. “Sorry.” I mumbled picking up my bag, that’s when I realize that he wasn’t parking the car, I was just about to ask why when he said, “I’m going somewhere again. I won’t be home too late I think.” I just nod, getting out of the car and see him drove away. I slowly made my way up, Mark still on my mind. We’re in the same school, I thought. We might bump into each other every day. We might have to talk. I shook my head, what are we gonna talk about anyway? It’d be so damn awkward. I thought about us fighting just two days before I left Korea, it was scary fighting like that. We were yelling to each other, I was already on the verge of tears. I gulp at the sudden memory, and then stopped walking; I didn’t realize I was already standing in front of the apartment door. I took out the keys and went inside. I decided to just take a quick shower and lie in bed, trying to get a nap.

I dreamt about the six of us. I was back in Korea and we were all back in our neighbourhood. We were sitting at our usual spot at the nearby playground.  Jin Hee was laughing at something that Kang Joon said, Ah Reum trying to get me to wear the lip gloss she just brought, Mark and Kang Ta talking about the recent football match. It was a good relaxing dream, until I woke up from, knowing it’s all fake. I missed them, I miss my friends. I sigh as I got up from bed.

I then heard someone in the kitchen, cooking. I quickly went out, only to find Leeteuk wearing an apron and flipping an egg from the frying pan. “Hey there Jiwon. Hungry? I decided to make dinner.” He said when he noticed me. “I- er, yeah.” I said stumbling with my words. He chuckled seeing me, “Help me set the table.” He said. I obeyed. Leeteuk’s nice, I thought to myself. I finished setting up the table within five minutes. Leeteuk was already done cooking. We sat down across each other. “Go on. Taste it.” he said to me. I didn’t eat right away, still isn’t used to the warm gesture. “I promise I didn’t poison it okay? Just eat it.” and so, without a word, I ate it. Munching it and then swallowing, I couldn’t help but smile, it was delicious. He smiled seeing my respond, “I’ll take that as it does not taste too awful.” He said.

“It’s yummy.” I told him.

“Pffft, you don’t have to lie.” He said taking a bite himself.

“No really, it’s delicious.” I said again, and he chuckled once again.

“Okay, okay. I believe you.” He playfully said and then we just focus on eating.

I did the dishes as he sat on the couch. “I’m going to China tomorrow by the way.” He said turning on the TV.

“You’re gonna leave me alone here?” I ask. It feels kind of… off. I realize I felt kind of safe when he’s around. The way he checks up on me at night and now fixing dinner. I will miss that kind of company. I shook my head, I can’t think like this, I don’t even know him.

“Why? Are you scared?” he chuckled like he always does. “Don’t worry. I’ll ask the neighbours to keep a lookout.”

“Oh, there’s no need. I’ll be fine.” I said quickly. He didn’t say anything but I can see him smiling. I wipe my wet hands and head to my bedroom.

 

The next morning, he woke me up. Gently shaking me by the shoulder. I almost jump out of bed.

“Woah, Jiwon you gotta loosen up a bit.” He said. “I’m going to China already. I fixed breakfast. You have to take the bus from now on.” He then stood up, I can tell he’s in a hurry.

I nod. “I’ll walk.” I told him. “Saves money.” I said again. He smiled, patting my head. “Whatever you say. Don’t walk if it’s already late at night. Goodbye now.”  I nod again. “Have a safe flight. And em, thanks for the breakfast.” I said awkwardly. “Sure, sure. No problem.” He said and left.

I got up and get ready for school.

 School: that means meeting Mark.

I gulp, eating breakfast in a hurry because I want to get to school before anybody else. I walk in a fast pace and arrived at the empty school. Or so I thought..

I went to my lockers, getting some books which I put into my bag. As I close my locker, I can feel someone behind me.

“Well of course you’d be here early. So typical.”

It was Mark of course. I sigh, walking away. He grabs my hand and spun me so I was facing him.

“What?” I almost snap, pulling my hand from him.

“What do mean by what? You didn’t answer my question, what are you doing here?” he asks looking me into the eye. I didn’t flinch.

“I told you, it’s none of your business.” I said. He sighs deeply.

“You’re still mad after two years?!” he said almost yelling.

“I don’t see any reason to be happy to be honest.” I glared at him, attempting another walk away and when he grabs my arm, only this time I can’t seem to pull myself. “Let me go.” I said through gritted teeth.

“What if I don’t want to?? It’s been a while-”

“I wish it was longer.”

“Don’t be so-”

“YAH! Mark my man, you’re early!” shouted someone from the end of the hallway. I recognize him from yesterday’s cafeteria incident. He was the one who I said was a total playboy. I took the chance to yank my arm from Mark, using all my strength. Students and teachers started to arrive already. I walk away, almost running all the way to class. I was breathing heavily, trying to erase Mark from my head.

“Hey!” said a chirpy familiar voice which can only belong to Sulli. “Hi!” I said, just as cheerful as she was. We talked again and I can see that she tries hard to not talk about family matters again. I will need to try harder I thought. After all this is done, I can go back to America. America.. Do I want to come back? I sigh, thinking it over.  What would happen if all these are over? Back to that old apartment dealing with my father’s depression for who knows how long? I don’t want that.

“Jiwon?” said Sulli looking at me. “Huh?” I said turning to her. “What are you thinking about?” she asks. I thought about giving it another shot, try to change the topic to family again. “Nothing.” I smiled at her. Not now though, I have too many things to think about now.

 

It was recess again and I almost don’t want to go. I found an empty table, luckily it was at the far corner. I was halfway through my meal when the Got7 boys arrived. I paid them no attention, although almost all of the girls were are either gasping or fake fainting. Suddenly I heard someone scream, “He’s coming here!” “Omo! Mark’s soo handsome!” “Is he really walking towards us?! AHH!” “Marrkkkkk!”

I look up. Mark? He was walking though, walking towards me. I can feel myself getting angry already. Behind him were two boys, there were here yesterday, but I didn’t remember seeing Mark. “I’m trying to live a mundane high school life here, leave me alone.” I said, without looking at him ang taking another bite of my lunch. “Why are you here?” he asks the same question again. “Why? Is it that illegal to be here?”

“You know that’s not I meant. Did something happen?”

“Nope, nothing happened. But once again, even if something happened, would it be any of your business?” I said now looking at him in the eye. He sigh, “Look,” he says. “I’m trying to-” I stood up before he finished talking. Annoyed. “Another disturbed meal. I’m done.” I said rolling my eyes and started to leave. But the two boys blocked my way. “Move.” I said, gritting my teeth. Why is there always drama here? Gosh. “Can’t do that now. Mark’s trying to talk to you-” I shove them both, being angry only mean I’m a little bit stronger. They both stumbled and fell on the ground, probably because they didn’t expect me to do that. “Sorry, but nobody blocks my way.” I said, walking away. The one on the right was angry and tried to trip me while still being on the floor, my feet moved itself when I twisted his foot, he screamed. I sigh to myself, old habits die hard. Self-defence I guess. Mark saw me, great, a move that he himself taught me. I turn to face him, “You know that move. Better bring him to the nurse.” I said curtly and left quickly before anything else can happen. That’s enough drama for today.

Sulli came again into the classroom where I was trying to pretend that I’m reading. She didn’t get the message. “How did you know Mark? He isn’t normally like this.. Oh wait, are you okay?” she said sitting next to me.

“Oh, I’m okay.” I answered curtly.

“Probably wondering who they are huh?” she said suddenly.

“Er yeah. I guess so. Well, I do suppose they are the so called Got7?” I said putting the book –which was upside down- and looked at her.

“Yeah. That’s true. There’s seven of them you see-” and then Sulli ended up telling me all about the infamous Got7. “JB’s their leader. He looks cold and all but actually he’s quite nice. He takes care of the group. Jackson, he’s the one who talked to you yesterday. He’s well known for being the flirty one and the one who goes clubbing often. Jr on the other hand is considered the most okay-ish of the group because he’s literally the only one there who actually studies. Youngjae and Bambam are like the school pranksters. Youngjae’s the one with the eye smile and Bambam’s the one who likes to colour his hair. And then we have Yugyeom, he’s like the group representative, he does the talking. Well, the ‘bad’ talking that is, he always speaks his mind. I noticed Jr does the ‘nice’ talk. If you know what I mean. And lastly, there’s Mark. Nobody knows much about him. He likes to stay silent most of the time, talks only to his friends. He’s the cold one there.” Finished Sulli, taking a deep breath after the long talk.

“Wow.” I said. “That’s a lot of information.” I told her, don’t know what else to say after that. “It’s not too much, if you’ve been here long enough.” She said. I just nod as the bell rang and class begun.

 

I manage to not bump into Mark for the rest of the week. I also manage to know more about the students in the school. The Got7 boys are the most famous one there. All the girls are dying to date them and the boys are either jealous of them or want to be them. Yoona, Yuri and Sooyoung are the three main girls tailing the Got7. The most annoying and dramatic girls in my eyes. Pretty much everyone there is rich and mostly spoiled. They talk mostly about the latest trends, who’s the most powerful now, whose sales are increasing or decreasing or whatever. My head is spinning just thinking about it.

            It was finally Saturday and I was watching TV on the couch when I got a call from Sulli. It is Saturday, maybe she wanted to hang out, I thought to myself as I answered the call. “Yebuseyo?” I said lazily.

 “Jiwon-ah?” said Sulli, she sounds tired, she sounds like she’s been crying. I sat up straighter on the couch. “Ssul what’s wrong?” I ask immediately. “I- I’ll tell you later. C-can I stay at your place for tonight?”

“Stay at my place? What for? Never mind, I’ll text you the address. And sure, you can stay as long as you want too.” I said hanging up.

Sulli arrived twenty-five minutes later. Her eyes were still red, but her tears have dried. “Hey.” She said, forcing a smile. We sat on the couch, I put down the drinks I made and waited for her to tell me why she’s here.

“What I’m about to tell you, can you keep it a secret?” she started hesitantly. I nod. “I won’t tell a soul.” I promised her. “My- my father brings, well, brings different women to the house every time he comes home. Why he didn’t bring them to some cheap hotel, even I don’t know. But he does bring them, and I always hate him more every time I see him.” She said, looking at me, like she’s expecting me to do something. “He brings them to the house? That idiot.  Why is he even a father?” I said, Sulli manage a smile. “Wait, what about your moth- oh, never mind.” I said, remembering that maybe she doesn’t have a mother. “My mother passed away about three years ago. That’s when, you know, he started, whatever he’s doing.” She said, looking down. “And your brother?” I ask, taking the chance, although guilt running all over me. She’s being sincere and starting to trust me and here I am interrogating her without her knowing it. “Where is he now?” Sulli sigh. I can tell she’s thinking it over. “Oppa, he left for the US after my mum died. He was angry, stressed. I don’t know, he just left. But still contacted me, at least until about three months ago. I can’t seem to be able to reach him.” She said, finally spilling it out. “So he works in the US?” I pressed on. “Yeah, in some company called XXX.” She said. I smiled to myself, I got an information. “Where’s the bathroom?” she suddenly asks. I told her, and while she’s in there I quickly called Larry.

“Jade? What is it? Is something wrong?” said Larry, I can tell he’s busy. “Sorry to interrupt you Larry, but I just found out something. Choi Siwon is working at a company called XXX. He also stopped communicating with his sister three months ago.” I told him. “I knew there was something about that company. There were too many companies to check, but now that you’ve made it easier, I think we’re getting close. Thanks Jade. And I’ll try to find out what happen three months ago too. Gotta go, nice job.” He said and hung up, just as Sulli came out from the bathroom.

We spent our time just hanging around. I mostly let her do the talking. Turns out she’s not that close with her friends. I just nod and say something once in a while. Besides, if I talk, it would be all lies anyway.

 

 

     A/N: SO VERY SORRY. I know I said I was gonna update soon but school got in the way (sorry i know lame excuse). The Got7 characters are not all true. I change them to fit in the story. I didn't mean any harm. Just so you know I had a hard time choosing names. So like I said I'll just randomly pick what's in my head. It has nothing to do with them in real life or something. Yes, that is Emergency Couple's JinHee and AhReum, just using the names. I don't know when the next chapter is going to be, but I'll try updating at least once a week. Feedbacks are REALLY apprectiated. Thanks for the two of you who subscribe <3