Scattered Memories: Part 8

Scattered Memories

Yoseob is standing in front of a huge building. The letters CUBE ENTERTAINMENT are stationed above the glass-door entrance. His eyes are wide as he takes in the view.

 

This can’t be a dream,” Yoseob thought.This feels too real to be a dream.

 

“Well, this is it!” a short boy with shoulder length black hair announces with a cheery voice, “Our ticket to fame. So, whatcha think?”

 

“I don’t know what to think Kwangie,” Yoseob says in a breathless voice as he stares in awe of the building, “this place is huge! Definitely bigger than M Boat.”

 

But, as Yoseob thought about it, he also knew it couldn’t be real life.

 

“Well don’t just stand here staring,” Kikwang grabs Yoseob’s shoulders from behind and pushes the older boy forward. “You’re never gonna get anywhere if you don’t go inside.”

 

Because Yoseob realized he can’t control what he’s doing.

 

“But—”

 

“No ‘buts’ Seobie. I already scheduled for your audition, there’s no backing out now!”

 

So this must be a memory…Yoseob concluded. Just as he came to this conclusion, the setting suddenly changes.

 

“Yoseob, I want you to meet somebody,” a teenage-Doojoon says to the young vocalist as they, as well as a bunch of other teenagers, hang out in one of the many practice rooms at Cube.

 

Another teenage boy stands next to Doojoon. He has tousled black hair and a shy lopsided smile; his clothes are baggy and look worn and well used.

 

 

‘He kind of looks like a gangster,’ Yoseob thinks. 

 

“Seobie, this is Yong Junhyung, a new trainee,” Doojoon introduces, “Junhyung, this is Yang Yoseob.”

 

Yoseob smiles one of his bright sunshine smiles and bows. “Hi, Junhyung-ssi, nice to meet you,” he sticks out his hand.

 

“Thanks,” Junhyung shakes Yoseob’s outstretched hand and smiles back. “It’s nice to meet you too.”

 

“When’s your birthday?” Yoseob asks.

 

“December 19,” Junhyung replies.

 

“What year?”

 

“1989,”

 

“Darn it! You’re older than me by a less than a month,” Yoseob pouts. “My birthday’s January 5, 1990. Hey! Can I call you hyung then?”

 

Junhyung blinks, “Ummm . . . sure?”

 

“Yay~!” Yoseob hugs the older boy.

 

Junhyung shifts uncomfortably under Yoseob’s hug. He looks at the younger boy in puzzlement, then at Doojoon; silently asking him if there was anything wrong with the younger boy’s mental state.

 

Doojoon simply smiles and shrugs.

 

“Junhyung-hyung!” Yoseob shouts as he loosens his hug on the new trainee. “Can we go out for ice cream later??” he asks, looking at Junhyung with wide eyes; his aegyo set on high.

 

And of course Junhyung agrees, because really, who can resist Yoseob’s aegyo? “S-sure,”

 

Doojoon shakes his head and does his best to contain his chuckles. Junhyung has no idea what he just got himself into.

 

The scene suddenly blurs and Yoseob finds himself in another memory.

 

“Yoseob! It’s you’re turn to wash the dishes!” Dongwoon shouts as he comes into the living room from the kitchen.

 

Yoseob is sitting on the couch, snuggled up to Doojoon, who’s reading a book. “I thought it was your turn,” the vocalist says, giving Dongwoon a confused look.

 

The maknae shook his head, “No, I did it last time. We had that greasy Chinese take-out food and we ran out of soap so we made Junhyung go and get some more. Remember?”

 

Kikwang, who is doing sit ups on the living room floor suddenly speaks up, “I do! That was chaotic.”

 

“Awww, Dongwoonie!” Yoseob pouts. “Can you do if for me, just for tonight? I was gonna go with Doojoonie to go get ice cream at the store.”

 

“Hyuuuung!” Dongwoon whines.

 

“Pleeeeeeease~?” Yoseob looks at Dongwoon with begging-puppy-dog eyes.

 

But because Dongwoon is the maknae of the group, he’s unaffected by Yoseob’s cute attempts. “That’s not gonna work hyung.”

 

“I’ll wash the dishes for younext time!” Yoseob promises. “And I’ll buy that mint chocolate-chip ice cream that you love so much while I’m at the store with Doojoonie,” he adds.

 

“But it’s still not fair,” Dongwoon pouts. “This always happens to me! And just because I’m the maknae too.”

 

Kikwang stops doing his sit ups and goes over to give Dongwoon a comforting hug.

 

“Yoseob,” Doojoon starts to say, not looking up from his book, “do the dishes. We can go out to get ice cream tomorrow.”

 

“B-but you promised!” the vocalist complains; looking at Doojoon with another one of his puppy-dog stares.

 

The leader keeps his gaze focused on the book. He didn’t want to look at the pseudo maknae because he knew his fortitude would break if he did.

 

“Doojoonie-ah~” Yoseob continues to plead.

 

Dongwoon rolls his eyes. “Being the maknae . He’s gonna make me do the dishes now,” he says to Kikwang, “Watch.”

 

Doojoon takes a bookmark, places it in his book, then closes the book and puts it aside. Shutting his eyes tight the leader takes a deep breath before quickly saying, “Yang Yoseob, as your leader and hyung I command you to do the dishes and fulfill your duties. Once you are done then perhaps we can go out and get some ice cream. But not until then!” And with that, the eldest member got up from the couch and runs into the bedroom; closing the door with a hurried slam. He’s afraid that Yoseob would bring his act up a notch and Doojoon doubts that he could resist a crying Yoseob. So he decided that the quicker he could give out his orders the faster he could avoid Yoseob.

 

Dongwoon high-fives Kikwang while Yoseob glares at the two while mumbling something about stupid maknaes.

 

As Yoseob watches himself stomp off to the kitchen, the scene fades to black before Yoseob realizes he’s relieving another memory.

 

 Yoseob is with Hyunseung watching Doojoon, Junhyung, and Kikwang go over a certain part in the ‘Shock’ choreography. As they watch, Yoseob finds it weird that Hyunseung isn’t commenting on any of the boys’ techniques like he usually does. The vocalist turns to the dancer and is about to ask him if anything was wrong, when Yoseob notices Hyunseung is staring with a dreamy look on his face. The younger boy follows Hyunseung’s gaze to see what he’s looking at.

 

Junhyung.

 

Yoseob smirks, he should’ve known.

 

“You like him don’t you,” Yoseob suddenly says.

 

Hyunseung blinks in surprise, “Huh??”

 

“You like him,” Yoseob repeats.

 

“L-like who?” Hyunseung stutters.

 

Yoseob rolls his eyes, “Hyung; really? Everybody knows you turned down Kikwang before we debuted – so he’s out of question. And Doojoonie, as only you know, is taken. You haven’t told anybody about that right?”

 

Hyunseung shakes his head.

 

Yoseob nods, “Good. So anyways, since you have no interest in Kikwang, and you’re not allowed to look at Doojoonie like that, that only leaves Junhyungie-hyung.”

 

Hyunseung blushes, “W-well – I…”

 

Yoseob looked unconvinced.

 

“Okay, okay, you got me. But, can you promise not tell anybody? You’re the first person I’ve admitted it to.”

 

Yoseob nods, “Sure, if you don’t tell anybody about me and Doojoonie, I won’t tell anybody about your crush on Junhyung.” He smiles, “Pinky promise?” he put out his pinky.

 

Hyunseung chuckled, “Yeah,” he took Yoseob’s pinky with his own and they touch their thumbs, “pinky promise.”

 

The image of Hyunseung and him pinky-promising soon blurred and Yoseob was greeted with an entirely new view.

 

A starry sky fills his line of vision. He smiles; not knowing why, but for some reason he’s extremely happy. He notices that he’s standing at the edge of a roof top, and grips the metal railing tighter.

 

A breeze ruffles his brown hair, and he suddenly feels cold. As if on cue, somebody wraps a fluffy pink Mickey Mouse blanket around him. Yoseob looks up. It’s Doojoon. He’s wearing a light blue sweater and gray sweat pants – he’s smiling too.

 

“Thanks,” he says and his smile widens.

 

Doojoon nods – his smile staying in place – and then wraps his arms around the younger boy in a warm hug.

 

Yoseob leans back against Doojoon and rests his head in the crook of Doojoon’s neck. “It’s really beautiful,” he says softly.

 

“What is?” Doojoon asks as he presses his head to the vocalist’s, “The view? Or you?”

 

 

Yoseob rolls his eyes but he can’t stop a smile from spreading across his face, “The view.”  

 

The leader laughs and kisses Yoseob’s forehead, “Okay, okay. But you know it’s true.” He lets go of Yoseob. “C’mon, I’ve set up a couple of bean bags and some hot chocolate over there. Let’s go and sit.”

 

Yoseob doesn’t resist and follows Doojoon to sit down with him. The vocalist made to go sit in the other bean bag, but Doojoon grabs him by the wrist and stops him.

 

Yoseob looks at the older boy with a confused face, “What?”

 

“Sit with me,” Doojoon replies.

 

The vocalist still looks confused. Doojoon pulls Yoseob down so he’s sitting on the leader’s lap. Pressing his face to Yoseob’s blanketed back, Doojoon smiles, “That’s better.”

 

Yoseob laughs, “You’re so weird. Now how’re you gonna drink your hot chocolate?”

 

“Easy,” Doojoon says as he reaches out to grab two steaming white mugs resting on the ground, “you just can’t lean back.” Doojoon hands one mug to Yoseob.

 

The vocalist smiles back. He lets the blanket drape around his shoulders and takes the warm drink.

 

The two of them sip in silence for a short while. It’s a comfortable one, the kind where you don’t mind not talking, and just having the other person there is enough. Yoseob goes back to staring at the stars; admiring their beauty. He doesn’t know it, but Doojoon is staring at him.

 

Suddenly Yoseob breaks the silence, “People say that there are more stars in the universe than there are grains of sand in the entire world. That must mean there are a whooole bunch of stars.”

 

Doojoon has to blink twice before what Yoseob had said actually process through his mind. Though, once it does, he smiles. The leader puts down his now empty mug and wraps his arms around Yoseob’s waist. “There might be trillions of stars out there in the universe, but you’re the only one I want.”

 

Putting his mug on the ground, Yoseob blushes and giggles, “You’re so cheesy today; what’s up with that? What drama have you been watching?” he asks as he leans back against Doojoon.

 

Doojoon lies down on the bean bag, and brings Yoseob down with him. They both move around a bit until they’re lying on their sides and facing each other. “’You’re Beautiful’” Doojoon replies while giving Yoseob a cheeky smile.

 

Yoseob playfully punches Doojoon, but the vocalist can’t stop smiling. “Doojoon – really?”

 

The leader laughs, “Yes – really. My favorite part is when Taekyung makes that bunny pig.”

 

The vocalist opens his mouth to say something, but instead of words comes a yawn.

 

“Do you wanna go back inside now?” the older boy asks.

 

Yoseob shakes his head, “No,” he closed his eyes and snuggles up closer to Doojoon, “I want to stay out here a bit longer.”

 

Doojoon smiles softly, “Okay.” He begins to gently Yoseob’s hair as they lie there for a moment. Soon Yoseob’s breathing becomes steady, and Doojoon thinks he has fallen asleep. The leader stops petting Yoseob and studies the younger boy’s face. He takes two fingers and starts tracing Yoseob’s cheeks, and smiles at remembering how dimples would show up whenever the vocalist smiles.  Then he hovers his fingers over Yoseob’s eyes, there are dark circles around them from lack of sleep, but they’re getting better since they’ve been given time off. Doojoon moves his fingers from Yoseob’s eyes to his nose, and follows it to down to his lips. Yoseob’s lips, combined with his eyes, are a deadly weapon, Doojoon thinks. Whenever he sees those lips pout, Doojoon has a hard time resisting them. Even when they’re not pouting they’re still tempting, because now Doojoon has an urge to kiss them because they’re part of Yoseob’s adorable face. And because Yoseob is Yoseob, and Doojoon can never resist Yoseob, Doojoon leans down and kisses the vocalist. Slow and sweet.

 

“I love you Seobie.” he says.

 

And if Doojoon didn’t turn around to pick up the empty hot chocolate mugs, he would’ve seen Yoseob smile.

 

As the scene faded to black, Yoseob thought he was finished with reliving memories. But a flash of white and the sound of beeping proved otherwise.

 

He hurt, everywhere. But his head hurt the most. He heard sniffing, and uneven breathing. He figured somebody must be crying. Yoseob tried to open his eyes to see who it was, but he couldn’t. It was like his body was frozen. He couldn’t move at all. So all he could do was listen. Suddenly somebody was talking.

 

“You know I love you right? You have to know. Because I do; I love you. With everything we did, couldn’t you tell? I’m sorry this happened. It’s – it’s my fault. I’m sorry, I’m sorry! Can’t you wake up now? Please? I’m begging you! I can’t . . . I can’t live without you. Nothing’s the same without you. And nothing ever will be. You have to wake up!” A pause; more sniffing and crying. “Please, Seobie . . . please?”

 

The sound of foot steps. A new voice. “C’mon hyung, we have to go.” This voice sounded calm and with the air of a leader. But you could also tell by the gentleness of the voice that whoever was saying this cared, and was willing to be submissive.

 

“Okay. Bye Yoseobie, I’ll come back tomorrow. You’ll wake up tomorrow, right?”

 

Yoseob felt somebody squeeze his hand.

 

“Doojoon, we’ve been here way past visiting hours, the nurses are starting to get upset. You should be grateful they let us stay as long as we have and that they didn’t kick us out earlier. . .”

 

A hand on his cheek.

 

“Doojoon . . .”

 

“Okay, okay, I’m coming Jun.”

 

The scene faded again and all Yoseob could see was black. Until the vocalist caught the scent of . . . was that instant ramen? Confused, Yoseob tried to blink. When he did, his eyes opened to the sight of a blurry and white ceiling. Yoseob groaned and rubbed his eyes. He hoped he wasn’t in the hospital again.

 

“Oh! Dongwoonie, I think he’s awake!”

 

Yoseob jumped at hearing a voice. He slowly turned his head. He saw Kikwang and Dongwoon sitting side-ways on chairs with bowls of – what Yoseob assumed was – instant ramen in their hands. As he looked at the two maknaes Yoseob then realized where he was. He was lying on the couch of the dorm living room. No wonder Kikwang and Dongwoon were sitting sideways.

 

“I almost thought I was dreaming again or something,” Yoseob thought.

 

Dongwoon slurped up a noodle, before looking at the vocalist. “I think you’re right. I’ll go get everybody else.” The maknae stood up and placed his unfinished bowl of soup on his chair, before running towards the kitchen.

 

Kikwang spoke up as he left, “How you feeling buddy?” He flashed Yoseob a caring grin.

 

Yoseob yawned before answering, “Tired. I had this dream about a memory.” He turned to look at Kikwang, “It was weird because—” Yoseob stopped talking. The minute he saw Kikwang’s face, something in his mind clicked into place, like a missing puzzle piece.

 

“Yoseobie? Are you okay?” Kikwang asked worriedly when Yoseob didn’t finish his sentence.

 

The vocalist quickly sat up, and he looked at Kikwang’s face a little longer. Suddenly he flashed a large smile. “Kikwang! Lee Kikwang!” he shouted, as if he suddenly had an epiphany about Kikwang’s name.

 

Now the younger boy was really worried, he desperately hoped Yoseob hadn’t totally lost it. “Yoseob?” he looked at the said boy skeptically.

 

Yoseob ignored the look and continued the grin, “I remember you!”

 

Kikwang blinked, “I should hope you do, we don’t want you to forget anymore than you already have.”

 

Yoseob shook his head vigorously, “No! I mean I remember you! Like, everything about you that happened before the accident! I remember when you first brought me to CUBE to audition and become a trainee. I remember when you told me you were nervous for your debut stage as AJ. I remember all of it!”

 

Kikwang’s eyes widened, “Really?!”

 

Yoseob nodded, “Yeah!”

 

“If you do remember everything, then what was the name of my first girlfriend?”

 

Yosob laughed, “You’ve never had a girlfriend. Or at least, not the intimate relationship kind.”

 

Kikwang quickly put down his bowl of ramen, and jumped onto the couch to hug Yoseob. “Omo~! You do remember!!! Yoseobie~! Do you know how much I’ve missed your memory?”

 

“If you missed it as much as I have, then yes I do know,” the vocalist grinned as Kikwang tightly hugged him.

 

It was then that Dongwoon came back into the living room with Junhyung and Hyunseung.

 

Yoseob took one look at each of their faces and flashes of memories passed through his mind. Three more puzzle pieces were added to his picture of memories.

 

“Yah, Kwangie, don’t strangle him to death.” Junhyung reprimanded. “He just woke up – we don’t want him to faint again from lack of oxygen.”

 

The dancer let go of Yoseob and bounced on the edge of the couch. “Junhyung-ah! Hyunseung-ah! Woonie! Doo—wait, where’s Doojoon-hyung?”

 

“He’s on the phone with manager Jiyong,” Junhyung replied.

 

“Oh,” Kikwang said. “Anyways – he remembers again!!”

 

Dongwoon looked at Kikwang with puzzlement displayed clearly on his face. “Remembers what again?”

 

“Everything!” Kikwang exclaimed.

 

“Like what?” Hyunseung asked.

 

Yoseob looked at Hyunseung with a grin, “Like how you told me about your crush on Junhyungie before anybody else.”

 

The doe-eyed boy blushed, and Yoseob turned to Junhyung, “And how we first met. I couldn’t believe I got you to get me ice cream so easily. I seriously thought you were a gangster or something at first, haha.”

 

Junhyung rolled his eyes and the vocalist looked at Dongwoon. “I also remember how you and Kikwang made me really angry for convincing Doojoon to make me do the dishes when I really wanted to go out for ice cream. It took Doojoon a lot of begging before I finally forgave him, I was so angry.”

 

Dongwoon gave a sheepish smile and shrugged.

 

Yoseob smiled, “It’s okay maknae.”

 

Kikwang opened his mouth to say something, when Doojoon walked into the room.

 

“Jiyong-hyung said he’d come back to the dorm with—”

 

“Doojoonie~!!!” Yoseob jumped from the couch and attack-hugged the leader. Puzzle piece number five was added to Yoseob’s picture of memory.

 

It took the eldest a few moments to realize that Yoseob was hugging him. But once he did he hugged back just as tight. “You really have to stop fainting like that,” Doojoon said. “You’re gonna give me a heart attack someday with how you keep scaring me. I swear you’re going to be the death of me.”

 

“I love you too,” Yoseob mumbled into the older boy’s sweatshirt. It was quiet, but loud enough that, not only did Doojoon hear him, but so did the rest of the band.

 

Doojoon’s eyes widened, “Wh-what?”

 

Yoseob loosened his hold on Doojoon so he could look him in the eyes. “Remember when we were on the rooftop looking at the stars? You said you loved me.”

 

“But—I never—you fainted,” Doojoon stuttered, now thoroughly confused.

 

Yoseob giggled, “No, not that time; the time before that one. I remember it. You told me that you love me and you thought I was asleep. But I wasn’t. And now I’m telling you that I love you back.”

 

“Wait, you heard?? But I thought—you looked like you were—how come . . . ?” Then the leader gasped as he realized something, “Omigosh you remember~!!!” He grabbed the younger boy twirled him around once.

 

Yoseob giggled again, and nodded, “Yup. Wanna know something else I remember?” he asked shyly.

 

Doojoon opened his mouth to reply, but no words left his mouth. He couldn’t have said anything anyways, because Yoseob’s lips were attached to his.

 

An audible “awww~” was heard from the on looking band members.

 

When the two of them parted, Doojoon took Yoseob’s face in his hand. He looked straight at the younger boy’s shining brown eyes and said, “Yang Yoseob, I love you.”

 

Yoseob smiled warmly and hugged the leader. “I know Doojoonie; I know.”

 

The four other members of BEAST decided that this was a good time to leave to two of them alone. So they quietly walked out of the living room and into the kitchen; giving the couple room to do what they wanted without an audience.

 

When the members left, Doojoon and Yoseob cuddled together on the couch. Yoseob leaned against Doojoon’s chest as the older boy wrapped an arm around him.

 

“Doojoon,” Yoseob spoke up, “Remember when we were in the music room with the piano? What were you going to tell me? Was it the same thing you were going to tell me on the roof top?”

 

“Yes, and no,” the leader replied. “Yes – because both times I was going to tell you I love you. No – because when we were in the piano room I was going to explain to you how we were secretly going out, but when we were on the rooftop I was just going to confess to you.”

 

“Oh, I see,” Yoseob said, not sure of what else to say.

 

“And when I was going to confess to you on the roof top I was going to say, ‘Yoseob,’” Doojoon turned and looked at the vocalist as if he were really about to confess for the first time, “there’s something I have to tell you.’ And you were going to say, ‘What is it?’” Doojoon changed the pitch of his voice, trying to imitate Yoseob. “And then I was going to say, ‘Even though you may not remember – I love you. I always have; ever since we trained together I’ve never felt this way about anybody before. You’re like oxygen to me. If I can’t have you everyday, there’s no way I can get through life. I need you. Yoseob I—’ and then you would cut me off by kissing me and I’d kiss back. Then you would say, ‘Doojoon, I…I love you too. I can’t explain how, or why, but I know I do.’”

 

Yoseob laughed as Doojoon explained all of this, “I don’t believe that you would’ve actually said something like that. Too cheesy,” he grinned. “And I definitely wouldn’t have said any of that. I don’t even sound like that.”

 

Doojoon grinned back, “Okay, well, maybe not exactly like that; but something close.”

 

Yoseob shook his head, “Haha, no, not even.”

 

“Okay, then what about this: ‘Although you may not remember the special moments that we have shared, Yoseob, I love you. I always have. To me, you’re like water; with out you I would die.’” Doojoon made a dramatic face, trying to look desperate.

 

Yoseob continued to laugh, “I think you should just shut up now.”

 

The leader smirked, “Make me.”

 

Yoseob shifted his position so that he was straddling Doojoon’s lap and facing the older boy. He smiled back, “My pleasure.” And with that Yoseob leaned forward cover Doojoon’s mouth with his own.

 

Two pairs of eyes peeked from behind the kitchen doorway.

 

“Awww, Dongwoonie look, they’re so cute~” Kikwang said to his companion as they watched their leader and main vocalist make out.

 

Junhyung came over and stood behind them. “Don’t you two ever stop nosing into other people’s business?”

 

“Like you can talk; you forced Doojoon to confess to Yoseob.” Dongwoon pointed out.

 

“Whatever,” Junhyung said dismissively.

 

“You know,” a fourth voice said – it was Hyunseung – “if Doojoon catches you guys you’re dead.”

 

“Psh, I won’t get caught,” the rapper scoffed. “Those two will.”

 

“Everybody shut up!!!” Dongwoon whispered; or at least, he thought he whispered.

 

A giggle, “Doojoon, I think we have an audience.”

 

“Busted!”

-xXx-


A/N: Sorry if the ending kind of . I wasn't sure on how I wanted it to sound. =/ But that's not the point right now. The point is this:
Thank you so so much to all of my readers! This was my first chaptered BEAST fic and without you guys I wouldn't have the motivation to write. So thanks a million <3 I hope you guys enjoyed this fic as much as I enjoyed writing it. Thanks again for all the encouragement and support~ Hugs and cookies for everybody~!!! =D