Scattered Memories: Part 2

Scattered Memories

“You don’t remember any of us?” Dongwoon questioned, still not believing that his hyung didn’t recognize anybody. “Not even Kikwang??” the maknae pointed to the said male.

 

Yoseob shook his head at the five boys who were standing around his bed. “No not really. I mean, you guys seem familiar, but I don’t recognize any of you at all.”

 

Kikwang shook his head, “This isn’t good…”

 

Hyunseung snorted, “Ya think? And we’re all supposed to make an appearance on that radio show on Thursday – and today’s Tuesday.”

 

“I’ll talk to Manager Jiyong-hyung about that later,” Doojoon spoke up. He had gone back to playing with Yoseob’s hair and was running his hand through the younger’s dark brown locks; looking at Yoseob with worry.

 

Junhyung noticed the concern spread plainly across his friend’s face; he knew that talking to their manager about radio show appearances was the last thing Doojoon wanted to think about. “No, don’t worry about that.” The rapper said, “I’ll talk to him about it.”

 

Doojoon gave Junhyung a grateful look, “Thanks.”

 

The blonde made a dismissive motion with his hand, “Don’t mention it.”

 

Suddenly Yoseob brought his hand to his head and captured Doojoon’s hand – the hand Doojoon was using to mess with Yoseob’s hair.

 

“Um, could you stop petting me?” Yoseob requested, “It’s kind of bugging me.”

 

Doojoon had frozen up in surprise, and for moment couldn’t remember how to talk. But fortunately he remembered how to move, so the older man slowly withdrew his hand from Yoseob’s head. Then he found his voice, “S-sorry. It’s a habit. I-I’ll stop now.”

 

Yoseob gave a small smile and nodded his thanks as Doojoon sat back in his chair with a sort of dejected expression.

 

Doojoon wasn’t the only one surprised at this. The rest of the members were kind of alarmed by this as well. Normally Yoseob would have never rejected to Doojoon’s touch. In fact, the Yoseob they all knew would have been all-smiles and working his aegyo if Doojoon was patting his head.

 

Hyunseung sighed at the sight of his crestfallen leader. If he was surprised, he could only imagine the shock that was going through Doojoon’s mind right now. It seemed that his memory wasn’t the only thing Yoseob had lost. Giving Doojoon a sympathetic smile, Hyunseung patted his leader’s shoulder, in an attempt to comfort him. But if Doojoon noticed the dancer’s attempt, he didn’t acknowledge it.

 

The silence between the six boys was quickly becoming uncomfortable. Kikwang – along with everyone else – knew, and could feel this. The brown haired boy was about to start a conversation, hoping to ease the awkwardness, when the doctor walked into the room.

 

“So, fully awake I see.” The doctor – a man with a white lab coat and glasses, who looked to be in his thirties – flashed Yoseob a bright smile, “Looks like we’re making progress.” He then turned to the rest of the band, “How is he? Has he been acting normal?”

 

Kikwang wanted to jump up and shout: ‘No! No he is not acting normal! He just told Doojoon to stop petting him, and that is not normal. Plus, he’s barely even talking! What happened to the blonde blabber mouth I used to know??’

 

But because he was more mature than that (Kikwang knew better) he just stayed silent and let Doojoon and Junhyung answer. Like usual.

 

I knew dying his hair dark brown was a bad idea… Kikwang thought to himself.

 

As if rehearsed, both Doojoon and Junhyung stood up at the same time.

 

But Doojoon was the one who spoke. “Can we talk to you?”

 

The doctor looked slightly confused, but replied cheerfully despite his confusion, “Of course.”

 

Doojoon made his way towards the man, as Junhyung told Hyunseung to look after the kids while they talked, before he followed after Doojoon.

 

Hyunseung watched as Junhyung, Doojoon, and the doctor made their way to the other side of the room, before turning back to the scene in front of him.

 

Before things could get awkward, Hyunseung decided to do some “interrogation.” Looking at Yoseob, the dancer asked, “So Yoseob, what do you remember?”

 

“Umm…how to speak Korean?” the boy shrugged.

 

Dongwoon sighed, “Haha, very funny.” He said sarcastically.

 

Yoseob scowled.

 

“What if you rephrase it like this: What’s the last thing you remember?” Kikwang suggested.

 

Hyunseung nodded, “Okay,” turning to Yoseob he asked, “Do you need me to repeat that?”

 

Yoseob shook his head, “No, I heard him. Uhh…the last thing I remember….” The brunet paused for a moment to think.

 

“Well…?” Dongwoon was a bit impatient.

 

Kikwang nudged the maknae with his elbow, “Don’t be so impatient. Let him think.”

 

“Uhh, the last thing I remember is that I was training to become a singer.” Yoseob finally answered.

 

“What?! You remember being a trainee, yet you don’t remember Kikwang??” Dongwoon’s eyes widened in utter surprise.

 

Yoseob shook his head, “No, sorry. Though, the name sorta sounds familiar.”

 

Kikwang frowned, “You don’t remember me?” he put his hands to his chest for emphasis, “Lee Kikwang? We went to high school together!”

 

“I’m sorry, but I really don’t remember you.” Yoseob said honestly.

 

“How can you forget him??” Dongwoon was still bewildered, “He’s the sweetest, cutest, most thoughtful person ever! Not to mention he has a hot body.”

 

Kikwang playfully punched Dongwoon’s arm, “Stop it. You’re making me blush,” he said, turning his reddening face away from the maknae.

 

Hyunseung rolled his eyes, “Really you guys – save your flirting for later.”

 

-xXx-

 

“From the looks of things, it sounds like Yoseob is suffering from a case of retrograde amnesia.” The doctor told Doojoon and Junhyung. “Meaning, he can remember new things, but isn’t able to remember things from his past.”

 

“Well is there anything you can do to help him remember?” Doojoon asked.

 

“There’s nothing I can do,” the doctor replied, “but there are things you two can do.”

 

“What do you mean?” Junhyung was confused. He hated it when people weren’t straight forward.  

 

“What I mean is,” the doctor began to explain, “there’s nothing I personally can do to help your friend remember anything. I mean, there are drugs that have been said to help regain memory, but it hasn’t been confirmed. So I would rather we not have anything to do with them. But there are things that you two, as well as your band mates, can do to help your friend regain some, if not most, of his memories. Although there is a chance he may not regain them at all.”

 

“If it’ll help Yoseob, I’m willing to try just about anything,” Doojoon said determinately.

 

“So am I,” Junhyung agreed with just as much determination.

 

The doctor nodded, “Good to hear. It’s not that complicated though. What you’re going to be doing for the next few months or so, is re-introducing everything back into Yoseob’s life. From the people to the places – you’re going to have to explain everything. And the more important to him, the more likely he’s going to remember things. But don’t rush everything, take it slow. He’s still recovering from a concussion so he’ll need to take it easy for awhile. But he most likely won’t remember everything right away anyway. His memory will probably come back in parts.

I haven’t experienced it myself – having never suffered from amnesia – but I imagine it’s sort of like putting together a jigsaw puzzle. You only have parts of the puzzle completed, but not the whole thing. So with his memories, he will regain only parts of the memory, rather than remembering the whole thing as he saw it.”

 

“So…” Doojoon started, “you’re saying that his memories will only come back in parts? Not as a whole?”

 

“Yes, and no.” The doctor replied, which received him odd looks from both Junhyung and Doojoon. The doctor smiled, “You didn’t let me finish. Yes; his memories will come back as partial memories, but sometimes they are able to come together to form a whole memory. It depends on how severe the amnesia is. In some cases, the amnesia is so severe that they never remember any of their past memories. But hopefully Yoseob won’t have such a serious case. By the looks of it,” the doctor glanced across the room to see Yoseob laughing at something Hyunseung had said, “I don’t think he has a severe case. With any luck he’ll remember most of what has happened to him. The only thing I don’t think he’ll ever remember is the car crash. Usually, with retrograde amnesia, the patient never remembers the incident in which they were injured.”

 

Doojoon smiled, “That’s alright. He doesn’t need to remember that. It would probably give him nightmares if he did.”

 

Junhyung nodded, “It probably would; there was more blood than I would’ve liked seeing. The kid’s lucky. I sort of wish I could forget it.”

 

Before they got too involved with the subject, Doojoon decided to end the conversation. “Thank you for all of your help doctor,” he bowed; Junhyung did the same.

 

“Oh, it’s nothing. Just doing my job,” he smiled.

 

“Yeah, but it really helped us.” Junhyung said gratefully.

 

Doojoon nodded in agreement. “I don’t know what we would’ve done without you.”

 

The doctor smiled in embarrassment to all the praise, “You would’ve just gotten a different doctor who specializes in head trauma. Really, what I’m doing is nothing special.”

 

“It may not be anything special, but it’s really helpful to us.” Doojoon said sincerely. He was about to leave it at that when a thought suddenly came to mind. “Oh! How long will it be until Yoseob can come home?”

 

-xXx-

 

“Hey, you know, you still haven’t told me who everybody was.” Yoseob suddenly spoke up.

 

“Really?” Dongwoon raised his eyebrows. “I thought we already did that…”

 

“Well you told me your names,” Yoseob replied, “but you never told me who you are as a person. Like what you do and who you are to me.”

 

“I’ll start!” Dongwoon said eagerly. “I’m Son Dongwoon, I joined Beast through audition, unlike you and everybody else. But I’m one of your closest friends and hyung.”

 

Kikwang gave Dongwoon another punch in the arm, but this time harder than the last. “Liar!” he said disapprovingly.“He’s the maknae of the band, so you’re his hyung.” Kikwang gave the taller male a stern glare, “Not the other way around.”

 

“Really? You’re the maknae? You look older than that.” Yoseob commented. “Plus, you’re pretty tall.”

 

 “Why does everybody think that…?” Dongwoon frowned.

 

Kikwang reached up and patted the younger’s back, “Don’t worry about it Woonie. Think of it as a compliment.”

 

“How can I think of it as a compliment when people always say that?” Dongwoon continued to complain.

 

Kikwang was about to say something when Hyunseung beat him to it.

 

“Aish, give it a rest you two.” Hyunseung reproved. “First you’re flirting, now you’re fighting – why don’t you two just get a room already?”

 

Dongwoon turned his head in attempt to hide his blushing face while Kikwang apologized to Hyunseung. “Sorry hyung…”

 

“Apology accepted. Now, back to introducing everybody,” Hyunseung continued. “Since Dongwoon went first, why don’t we go from youngest to oldest? So that means, Kikwang, you’re next. Introduce yourself.”

 

“Hello, I’m Lee Kikwang, the upper body of Beast,” said member smiled and bowed.

 

Hyunseung rolled his eyes, but didn’t say anything.

 

Kikwang continued to talk, “I’ve been your best friend since high school, and I wanted to become a singer, so I went to become a trainee, but I dragged you along for the ride. So you became a trainee as well. Soon I debuted as a solo singer and became AJ – or Ace Junior. And you, along with everybody else (excluding Dongwoon), were my back up dancers until Cube decided to form Beast.”

 

“Wow, so we’ve known each other for a long time.” Yoseob looked fairly surprised.

 

Kikwang smiled, “Yeah, we have.”

 

“And I was your back up dancer??”

 

“Yup.”

 

“That’s kind of y. I mean, didn’t you feel weird knowing that your best friend was your back up dancer?”

 

“Well, yeah sorta, but—”

 

Before the conversation could get any farther, Hyseung intervened, “Okay, next person would be…Yong Junhyung.”

 

Kikwang stopped talking, relieved Hyunseung had said something before anything happened. Yoseob really wasn’t the same as what he used to be. Loosing your memory must really change a person.

 

“Since Junhyung isn’t here right now, we’ll introduce him for you.” Hyunseung pointed to the man standing next to Doojoon, “He’s the blonde haired one. He’s Beast’s rapper and charismatic one.”

 

“He’s also Beast’s involuntary ‘Umma.’” Dongwoon added with a smirk.  

 

Yoseob looked at Dongwoon with a puzzled look, “Huh?”

 

Kikwang chuckled, “You’ll find out soon enough.”

 

“Anyways,” Hyunseung kept on, “Junhyung, despite his tough looks, is really a nice guy. Also, he used to be a member of a boy band called Xing. But he doesn’t like talking about it. After Xing, Junhyung transferred to Cube, became a trainee and then rapped for one of Kikwang’s songs while he was still AJ.”

 

“Why doesn’t he like talking about being in Xing?” Yoseob asked.

 

Kikwang shrugged, “I dunno. Maybe it’s because he doesn’t like the image he use to have. Or it could be that he had a bad relationship with another band member. None of us really know. But if you’re really that curious you could ask him yourself; but I doubt he’ll answer willingly.” 

 

“No, that’s okay. I’m fine.” The brunet dismissed the thought. He gave a small yawn.

 

Kikwang noticed this, “Are you tired Yoseob-ah?”

 

The older boy shook his head, “No, don’t worry about it.”

 

Kikwang nodded.

 

“You’re next Hyunseung-hung,” Dongwoon reminded.

 

“I guess you’re right,” the older boy noticed. “Well I’m Jang Hyunseung – the dancer and unintended pretty boy of Beast. Believe it or not, I used to be a member of Big Bang. Do you remember who they are?”

 

“Ummm, sorta,” Yoseob answered. “Aren’t they a dance crew or something?”

 

“Not quite. They’re another boy band. But yeah, I used to be part of them…that is…until I was eliminated.”

 

“Well that .”

 

“Huh, no kidding,” Hyunseung said with a slight edge. “But, even so, I made some good friends. Anways, after that I became a back up dancer, and you and I became friends being AJ’s back up dancers. And not too long after that Beast was formed.”

 

“Sounds like you had a rough time, but I think it’s admirable that you were able to pull through it.” Yoseob smiled.

 

Hyunseung smiled back, “Thanks. Though, I can assure you that it wasn’t easy.”

 

“You’re welcome. I wouldn’t think it would be.”

 

“Hey, we get to introduce Doojoon now, right?” Dongwoon suddenly spoke up.

 

Kikwang nodded, “Yup.”

 

“Okay, I want to introduce him. Can I?” Dongwoon turned to Hyuseung.

 

“Go ahead,” the dancer motioned for Dongwoon to speak.

 

“Yes!  Okay, so as you probably know, that’s Yoon Doojoon,” Dongwoon pointed to the man with dark spiky hair, who was bowing to the doctor. “He’s Beast’s leader and probably your closest friend. He auditioned for Hot Blood to become a member of either 2AM or 2PM. But, like Hyunseung, he was eliminated. So then he came to Cube and became a trainee. And then he rapped with Junhyung in one of AJ’s songs called Wipe the Tears.” Dongwoon paused to turn to his hyungs, “Should I tell him about their fanservice? Or wait until later for that?”

 

“If you’re talking about out Bad Girl performances, then yeah, you should wait until later.” Hyunseung answered.

 

Kikwang nodded in agreement. “Yeah, too much information at once will probably be overwhelming.”

 

Dongwoon frowned slightly, but obeyed. “Okay, fine. I’ll just say you and Doojoon have, um…a special friendship.”

 

Yoseob was about to ask what Dongwoon meant by that, and what fanservice was, when Doojoon and Junhyung came back over. 

 

Doojoon was the first to speak, “Well Seobie, we got some good news.”

 

“Well, what is it?” the brunet asked.

 

“We’re going to get your memory back,” the leader said with a grin.

 

“And,” Junhyung added, “you’ll only be in the hospital for about a week more, then you’ll be able to come back home.”

 

“Really?! You can get his memory back?!” Dongwoon asked excitedly.

 

Doojoon nodded.

 

“That’s great! Is there anything I can do?” The maknae continued to speak.

 

This time Junhyung answered, “Yup, in fact, you guys can all help.”

 

“How?” Kikwang asked.

 

“We’ll explain later,” the rapper replied, “Right now, I think we should give little Seobie a rest. He seems pretty tired.”  

 

“No, I’m fine. R..really,” the visual maknae replied as he tried to fight off a yawn.

 

Kikwang took a look at his watch, “Yeah, it’s getting pretty late.” He looked at Yoseob with his signature flower boy smile, “Junhyung’s right, you should get some rest. The quicker you get better, the quicker you can get home. Take care buddy.” He gave his friend a hug.

 

As the rest of the band members said their good-byes as well, Doojoon watched Yoseob with fond eyes. Each time Yoseob gave a smile, even if they were small, Doojoon felt like melting. He had really missed those smiles. Having lived over three days without seeing even one of Yoseob’s smiles Doojoon had always felt incomplete. Now that he can see them again he feels whole again, as if he had just found lost a piece of himself.

 

When it was finally Doojoon’s turn to say goodbye, the band leader decided to tuck the vocalist in.

 

“Doojoon, I’m not five.” Yoseob said, “I think I can get myself in bed.”

 

“But I want to tuck you in. Besides, you deserve to be spoiled like a five year-old.” Doojoon argued as he brought the blankets up to Yoseob’s neck.

 

The brunet simply sighed, “If you have to, I guess.”

 

Doojoon gave a warm chuckle, one that made Yoseob wonder why Doojoon cared so much about him. “Yes, I do have to. I’m the leader so I worry over my band mates. Plus I’m you’re hyung so I have to right to spoil you. Now get some rest Yoseob-ah,” Doojoon smiled tenderly, “you’re going to need it.” He gave Yoseob a caring pat on the cheek, “We’ll see you tomorrow, okay Seobie. Good night.”

 

Yoseob yawned before saying, “Good night,” and watched as Doojoon walked out of the room with the rest of the band. After one last yawn Yoseob closed his eyes; the image of Doojoon’s smile still clear in his mind.

 

-xXx-

A/N: Many thanks to everybody who commented on the first chapter~! =D *sends love and cookies* I'm really happy that people like this fic so far  ^.^ I'm sorry for taking such a long time updating, I've just been pretty busy so I haven't had alot of time to go on the internet. But I hope you guys enjoyed this chapter~ ^.^ Next one will be up soon! I promise ;)

~Mariel