Sideshot: Never Change

Scattered Memories

Summary: Yoseob's been acting strange and nobody knows why. Doojoon decides to find out the reason to the usually smiling vocalist's odd behavior.
Author's Note: This is a side-shot. It's set sometime before the car accident.

 

Never Change

Doojoon had just woken up from his nap and was making his way from the bedroom to the kitchen, when he noticed Yoseob standing alone outside on the balcony. “He’s still out there?” Doojoon thought while tilting his head in confusion. He was curious, but, because his stomach growled, gave into his hunger instead.

 

As Beast’s leader made himself a sandwich, Dongwoon walked into the kitchen. “Oh Hyung. You’re awake,” the maknae greeted Doojoon with a smile. “How was your nap?”

 

Doojoon smiled back, “Hello Dongwoon-ah. It was good, thanks.”

 

Dongwoon nodded as he took a banana from the bunch on the kitchen counter and began to peel it. “I’m beginning to like bananas more and more. I blame it on Yoseob for getting them so often,” he chuckled.

 

“Hey, speaking of Yoseob,” Doojoon began as he picked up his sandwich, “has he been out on the balcony all day?” He took a bite.

 

Dongwoon nodded, “Pretty much. He’s only come inside to use the bathroom or eat. He hasn’t talked much either. I tried talking to him earlier but he won’t answer back.” He bit off a piece of banana. “Actually,” the maknae mumbled around the banana, “everybody’s tried talking to him, but he won’t talk to anybody. The best anybody got was, ‘No thanks,’ when Junhyung asked him if he wanted some of the instant ramen we had in the cupboard. Kikwang thinks it’s because he ate Yoseob’s cookies, but I don’t think he would be that upset over something like that.”

 

Doojoon wiped mayonnaise off of his mouth with the back of his hand. “I see . . .”

 

Dongwoon leaned back against the refrigerator, “Yeah, he hasn’t been acting too normal lately. I hope he’s alright . . .”

 

“I’m going to go talk to him,” the leader said suddenly while putting down his sandwich.

 

“Good luck with that,” the maknae said through a mouth full of banana as Doojoon walked towards the glass sliding door.

 

-xXx-

 

Doojoon stepped out onto the wood-floored balcony and stood against the railing next to Yoseob, who was staring out in the distance with a far-away look in his sun-reflecting brown eyes. It was a warm evening with a convenient breeze moving through the air to keep it comfortable.

 

The older male looked out to the horizon as well. “It’s a pretty sunset,” he said. And he wasn’t lying either. The sun was on it’s was down and it was turning the sky around it a blazing orange with a mix of deep pink.

 

Yoseob said nothing and continued to stare; only blinking when needing to.

 

Doojoon turned his gaze back to the vocalist, “Yoseob, what’s wrong?”

 

The younger man looked down for a moment, before looking back up at the sunset. “. . . nothing.”

 

Doojoon shook his head, “No, something’s up. Yoseob, you’ve barely talked all day and I can tell that you haven’t been smiling. That’s never a good sign. Something’s definitely bothering you.”

 

“…” Yoseob looked down again.

 

“You aren’t sick are you?”

 

The vocalist shook his head.

 

“Did somebody do something to you? Junhyung nag you too much?” Doojoon asked.

 

Yoseob continued to shake his head, “No, no. It has nothing to do with anybody.”

 

“Then . . . what is it?” Doojoon watched Yoseob’s face, waiting for an answer.

 

The younger man sighed as he looked back up at the horizon, his big brown eyes filled with worry. “Do you think . . . Do you think I’m working hard enough?”

 

Doojoon raised his eyebrows, “What’re you talking about? Of course I think you’re working hard enough. Where’d you get this crazy idea?”

 

Yoseob shrugged, “I dunno. I just sorta…felt bad,” he looked down again, he didn’t want to make eye contact. He didn’t want to see the expression on Doojoon’s face. “…You don’t think I’m a let-down either right?” he asked in a softer voice.

 

“Of course not!” Doojoon  placed his hands on Yoseob’s shoulders and turned the younger man to face him. “Look Yoseob,” he made sure the smaller male was looking at him and peered into the other’s eyes meaningfully.

In Doojoon’s eyes, Yoseob saw worry, sincerity, and a warm emotion that he couldn’t name.

“You’re a very hard worker. One of the hardest I’ve ever met. It takes hard work and determination for you to be where you are now. So you can’t tell me that you don’t work hard.
“No, you are not a let-down. Just because you delayed our comeback by having your surgery doesn’t mean you’ve let people down. It means you care about your health. You are nothing – I repeat: nothing close to a let-down.”

 

“But – But, there must be something wrong with me,” the vocalist’s eyes began to water. “I mean, I disappointed millions of fans, get sick way too often, my voice is bad, I’m too short, my face is too small, I…I… There should be something I need to change about myself!” He couldn’t hold it in any longer. Within seconds of finishing his last sentence, tears spilled out of Yoseob’s eyes and rolled down his pale cheeks, glistening in the rays of the setting sun.  

 

Doojoon moved his hands down from Yoseob’s shoulders to the younger man’s back and embraced him in a comforting hug. “Shhh~ Seobie, it’s okay. It’s okay,” Doojoon soothed as he rubbed Yoseob’s back calmingly, letting the vocalist clutch his shirt and cry into his chest. “It’s not your fault. And whatever else you’re thinking about right now, forget about it. Make it disappear from your mind. It doesn’t exist. Why? Because nothing you’ve said is true. You did not disappoint anybody, you worried everybody; you do not get sick too often, you’re just sensitive; you voice is nothing near ‘bad’, your voice is angelic, the sweetest I’ve ever heard; you’re not too short, you’re fun-sized; your face is not too small, its adorable; and,” Doojoon loosened his hug to look at Yoseob’s face with a loving expression, “in my opinion,” he wiped the tears from the younger man’s cheeks, “there is nothing you need to change about yourself. You’re perfect just the way you are. Yoseob, don’t you ever change.” With a hand, the taller man cupped the side of Yoseob’s face, while bringing his own face extremely close to the other’s.

 

Yoseob blinked nervously, unaware that he was still clutching onto the other man’s shirt. “D-Doojoon?”

 

Doojoon said nothing as he placed his lips tenderly on Yoseob’s.

 

Yoseob was in shock and did nothing for a whole second before coming to his senses. Closing his eyes, Yoseob melted into the kiss. For the first time that day, something finally felt right.

-xXx-

A/N: Hello my b2utiful readers~ ^^ Hope you guys liked this, even though it's not the next chapter in the full story. But I posted this up first because: 1) this moment becomes kind of important in the next chapter. 2) The next chapter might be the last.
Yeah, I said it. The next chapter might be the last part in the series. Emphasis on the might. You see, I'm kind of wondering what you guys think I should do. Do you want me to split it into two parts? Or would you rather just have one a very long last chapter?
Comment and tell me what you think~! But don't forget to comment about the story too! =P

Hope you guys had a Merry Christmas~! ^w^

Replies:

@eunriminnie: Haha, I'm glad you love my story so much. Thanks for reading!

@STARLeee: :D I have a stalker! Yay! lol
Yup, Doojoonie's over protective. But he can't help it. He's the leader after all. Thanks for reading~!

@Melbelle10: Lol that is freaky. :O
I'm glad you like my story ^^ Thanks for reading!

@CrazyPanda105: Omo, Seungie is your favorite and Yoseob is your second? Lol, that's like the opposite of me. Seobie is my favorite, then Hyunseung is my second.
And yay~ DooSeob shipper~! <3
I'm happy you like my story. Thank you for reading~! 

@sweetheartx: Haha, sorry for the cliffhanger. I couldn't help it. ^^;; Thanks for reading my story!

@imnotawesome: Aww~ Thanks bb. I love you too ^^ I love you for reading my fanfic hehe~ *hugs*
Don't worry! Dooseob will never be kept seperated if I'm writing them. ;)
I'm glad you're enjoying my story so far; thank you for reading!
(P.S. How do you know you're not awesome? I think you are; you're reading my story aren't you? keke~)

@superTHUNDERfishie: Haha, no that's not weird 'cuz I do the exact same thing. XD LOL
You'll get your Kiwoon soon; I promise. x)  Dooseob = <3
I like your username btw hehe~ Thanks for reading~!

@ykkahtot: I see, so that's where you've been. Well I'm glad your back~ ^w^
Thanks for loving my fic! I love your comments. x3 I'll try to update the next chapter soon! Thanks again for reading!