First Soul

Kaluluwang Ligaw (The Lost Soul)

The sun had risen up. Sunny woke up from her deep rest all night. She slowly opened her eyes and a blurry image met her gaze. She remembered to wear her eye glasses which were on her bedside table. After she wore her glasses the image now got clearer. She realized that it isn't only an image but a reality. It was the face of her friend. Silently, Sunny watched Taeyeon while she's still traveling in her dreamland. A flash back of their moment reminded the newly awaken brunette. She never expected that they are going to kiss each other. The other brunette then moaned as she stretches her arms upon waking up. Sunny widened her eyes and immediately got out of the bed to avoid Taeyeon. After the kiss they had last night, the eye glassed brunette felt awkward and wouldn't want to face her awaken friend. Sunny then moved to her study table, as if she was scanning her notes. It is just to pretend to be busy that she wouldn’t be able to see Taeyeon. Taeyeon then got up from the bed and seated, while she noticed her friend was pretending to be busy.

"Sunny? Are you alright?" Asked the older brunette while her eye browse met.
Sunny slightly turned her head on the direction of Taeyeon. "Ye... Yeah, I'm alright."

Taeyeon suddenly felt a tingling sensation inside her when she remembered the kiss that happened last night. Then she concluded why her friend is acting weird. The older brunette felt awkward also. Making her to hesitantly approach the eye glassed girl in front of her.

Teayeon moved her lip, her head down, making unsure gesture. "Uhm... About last night... I am sorry. I was just..."

"We were carried away by our emotions." Sunny continued.

"I... I never meant to do it Sunny." Taeyeon denied while lifting her head up.

"I am sorry too, that I let it happen. I didn't mean it too."

Deep inside the hearts of these two young ladies that somehow they liked it. But there is still a feeling of uncertainty between them. Taeyeon sighed in the middle of silence while she stands up from the bed and walked towards Sunny.

The older brunette then tapped the younger brunette on her shoulder "See you later at school." She just said not waiting for Sunny to answer back. Sunny, on the other hand just let her eyes looked on the wall while her friend was already walking out of her room. She just guessed simply waiting for Taeyeon's figure to be gone. After that, the younger brunette turned her gaze at her bedroom door.

Teayeon didn't know that, that would be the last time that she'd ever talked to Sunny. After that moment, Sunny, became more awkward with Taeyeon. Just because of a kiss, they felt both confused on how they should interact with each other. Sunny became cold towards Taeyeon and from then on, she started to avoid her.
All the good memories were just washed out because of those awkward moments. The daily routine that the two was supposedly to do becomes a routine for a loner person. Taeyeon now goes to school alone, same as Sunny, Taeyeon eats alone, same as Sunny. But there comes a time that they cross each other’s way but not talking to each other. They just take glances to each other and not even giving a smile just for the sake of their acquaintances.

 

Every time the older brunette passes by her friend's room, she never forgets to pause and stare at it reminiscing the old times they spent together. In school, when Taeyeon was walking in the school lobby and passing through the hallway she never forgets to check if Sunny already arrived in school. She felt guilty about it. Wishing that hopefully she never did it. That kiss. But what can she do? It’s already been done. Her friend that she tried to protect was now pushing herself away from her.

...

After the first half of classes within the day, the students now went to the cafeteria to eat. Taeyeon did as well. She went to the cafeteria alone. No Sunny was with her. When she reached the place, she looked for vacant seats and found that almost all the tables were filled. But fortunately, she saw the place where she and Sunny always eat. It's vacant. The young lady smiled and went towards it. Little did she know that another person was also approaching the table. When she saw her, brown eyes covered eyeglasses met hers. It was Sunny. The atmosphere became uncomfortable that made the two avert their attention from each other. Giving a way, Sunny sighed, "Okay, you sit here. I'll just look for another vacant table."

Taeyeon had almost nothing to say. She doesn’t know how to approach her friend. She's shy. "No, we can share this table." She offered.

"No, it's okay. Anyway, other students are almost done with their meals so I'll just wait for them to finish." Sunny defensively answered assuring herself to avoid her longing friend.

"I insist. It's okay if we won't talk to each other nor look at each other. We just share this table and eat. We just plain eat. That’s it, nothing more." The older brunette insisted while pulling the chair from the table.

Sunny rolled her eyes and once again gave it a sigh. She had no choice, but to give in since Taeyeon just assured her that they won’t ever talk to each. But they’ve already had a conversation, an awkward conversation.

...

The dorm is silent. All the students boarding were already deeply traveling in dreamland. Taeyeon was now in her pajamas, still awake because she had to finish her homework and prepare her bed. She tucked the bed sheet and flatten it. Then, the brunette turned off the light and only the bedside lamp was left open. After that, she jumped to her bed as if she carried a very heavy and big box. Taeyeon then stared blankly at the ceiling. Her thoughts flew until it reached to Sunny. A sigh once again released from . The young lady's eyes were slowly closing when she heard thumps on the hallway. Her drowsiness got lost. Curiosity her that made her get up from her bed. Again, the sound was getting louder. Fortunately, she is the only one who can hear it. The other sleeping students were not awakened by the loud sound. Taeyeon's breath became harder when her heart beats faster. She slowly approached at her door. When she reached it, the brunette then put her ears on the door to get a clear sound out of it. But it changed. She never heard it again.

 

Curiosity rises up as the brunette’s hand moved to the door knob turning it. A screeching door sound reverberated into the dorm’s hallway as Teayeon open her bedroom door. The curious brunette stepped out of her room and walked downstairs. She kept her ears on the atmosphere expecting that another thumps would echo inside. The brunette didn’t fail and hears another set of thumping outside the dorm. Her curiosity brought her out of the dorm. Strong wind hit her skin as she lifted up her head to the sky. Moon shines bright like a sun, the stars were sparkling, the tall tree were dancing. Teayeon hugged herself caused by the coldness brought by the wind.

 

Another sound of scratching bushes caught her attention.

 

“Whose there?” she asked while she was rubbing her shoulder to keep herself warm. A fast shadow then passed by in behind the bushes. “Hey, who are you?”

 

Taeyeon jolted when she heard the dorm’s door slammed hardly. Her feet again brought her back to the dorm, slowly walking. Thumping sounds returned inside the dorm, that it made her to follow. She climbed up stairs to see whose making those racing steps. When the brunette reached the dorm’s hallway directing to her room, she saw Sunny’s door slowly closing.

 

How could this late Sunny goes home? She thought while walking towards Sunny’s room. Taeyeon then attempted to knock but she gave it a second thought, instead, she just paused, and just went directly to her own room.   
 

Taeyeon sighed a feeling of relief when the sound was gone. And knew that it was just maybe Sunny. After that, she went back to her bed, but before she could lie down, a strong wind entered her room. It's strange. The young lady then walked to near the window to close it, but before she could do that, her eyes widened. Her hands moved to covering it. She saw a body hanging in a tree. At first she can't recognize it, but it was someone she knows. It was Semi. Taeyeon then felt a whirling movement into her stomach which is now insisting her to vomit. All her sweat just came out of her body. Her body cramped. She can't move. She can't prevent it anymore and all that she had eaten went out through . But all she knows was she's screaming. But she can't hear herself. Everyone in the dorm was awaken by the scream made by Teayeon. The frightened girl's sight became blurred and she saw some people forcedly opened her door.

After the incident, all the students gathered in the grounds to give respect to the death of Semi. It was a gloomy day. All the students were mourning about the death of one of the owners' daughter. No one ever knows why Semi killed herself.

 

Though the whole school was still mourning, they still need to continue their classes to cope up with their lessons.