Temporary Paradise

Kaluluwang Ligaw (The Lost Soul)

"No! Please! No! Aaaah!"

Sunny!
Sunny!
Sunny!


Sunny opened her eyes and saw a startled Teayeon. She breathed hardly and quickly as if she ran a 100meter dash challenge.

"Sunny!" Taeyeon called while tapping her friend's cheek to wake her up. Still the hallucinating girl was trying to catch her breath. Sweat was visible all over her face.

"Hey... You okay?" Taeyeon confirmed looking worried about her friend that she bet to have visited again by her nightmares.

"Taeyeon, I... I saw her...and… Siwon seonsaengnim!"

Taeyeon's eyebrowse met on Sunny's words. "What? Who? Who did you saw?"

Sunny was still trying to catch her breath while her friend waits for her to answer. Taeyeon, being concerned just thought of getting a glass of water instead of investigating her friend. "Okay, I'll get you water. Wait for me here. Stay here." Taeyeon then went out of Sunny's room to get her water. After she went to the kitchen, she immediately returned to her Sunny’s room. Exactly when Taeyeon almost reached the room's door, she heard a scream, inside.

"Aaaaaaaah!"

While holding the water bottle, the older girl rushed inside the room. She saw the frightened girl clenching her body to her knees and covering her ears. It was still Sunny. Taeyeon then ran towards her turmoil friend and hugged her.

As Teayeon saw Sunny, she then felt a sense of clemency for her. "Sunny..." She said as tears were starting to come out of her eyes. "Hey. I'm here, you're not alone. I'm here. Whatever it is that bothering you. Please tell it to me, so that I can help." Taeyeon whispered trying to calm her strangely terrified friend. After a minute of calming the short figured brunette, Taeyeon wiped her own tears. She sighed and tried to look at the face of Sunny who was still submerged in her knees.

"Please open up Sunny, you said that I am only the friend you have."

Sunny then lifts up her head and turned her gaze at the other brunette's face. Their eyes met. Taeyeon was staring at teary eyes, and Sunny also does. Sunny broke the silence, "Thank you, for being my friend. But I am sorry that I have caused you so much trouble. And I don't want to wait for the time to come when they'll try to kill me and you'll be killed as well." Sunny sobbed after saying those words. Touched by the statement she heard, Taeyeon wiped Sunny's tears. "That won't happen! Sunny, no matter what happens, were in this together. I will not let you alone."

Sniffling from crying, the eye glassed girl held her friend's face. She cupped her cheeks. And started to ask, "Why are you doing this Taeyeon? I never expected that you would say those words. I never thought that someone really cares for me, it's just that, I’m just a nobody."

Taeyeon's hand followed Sunny's hand, "I don't know. But Sunny, you are special to me. I'm sorry to say this. But I think that I like you. I like you Sunny. That is why; I wouldn't want anybody to hurt you. Or see you being hurt."

There was a mix of emotions that running through Sunny's heart and mind upon hearing her friend's confession. She doesn’t know how to react. Is she going to laugh at it? Cry at it? Is she going to feel happy about it? Or is she going to be sad about it as well? But the younger lady couldn't deny to herself that she also likes her friend. Since she is the only one whose always being with her. Always saves her.

"I'm sorry..." The older girl said. "Why are you apologizing? You need not to." The younger brunette assured. "Uhm... I... I like you too, Taeyeon." She finally answered shyly. Pink blush manifested in Sunny's cheeks. Taeyeon smiled as a sign of response. "I never expected about it Sunny. But I am happy ato know that you like me too." Tayeon said while smiling.

The miserable moment that changed into a somewhat blissful mood went back again into a sorrowful mood when Sunny remembered to open up again about her recent delusion. The images of two people keep on flashing back inside her mind. Siwon. Was one of those two people. Sunny saw the incident which Siwon was involved. She was convincing herself that it is not true that Siwon did such crime. For Sunny sees Siwon as a gentleman, and a man with integrity. She can't judge though, she doesn't know what the man's personal life is.

"Taeyeon ssi. Did you remember about a nightmare i had when I saw a man doing cruel things about this girl?" Sunny asked shuddered.

"Ne? Why Sunny?" Teayeon eagerly asked.

"I recognize them now, the man was Siwon seonsaengnim and the girl, I don't know who she is, but I've been seeing her past few days. Siwon seonsaengnim looks very young at my dream that is why, when I first dreamt about it, I did not recognized him immediately."

"Are you sure about that Sunny?"


"I am also confused about it." Sunny answered worriedly.

The two brunettes then gave it a sigh.

....

It was another day in school. Miraculously, no one bullied the short figured girl. After Taeyeon and Sunny parted ways, another batch of fierce stares again nailed to Sunny as she entered their classroom. She needs not to worry about the class she missed because her teachers received an excuse letter in behalf of her that tells that she has been admitted to the clinic caused by the faint she had the other day. Again, the eye glassed girl, just ignored those stares, because she was used to it anyway.

"Good morning class!" The teacher said while placing his things on the table.

Everyone including Sunny fixed themselves and greeted the Seonsaengnim. It was a usual day. Same teacher enters the classroom in each subject. But introduces a new topic about it. That includes Siwon.

“Population is the number of a particular kind of organism living in a given space at a given time. We can talk of population of animals in a meadow, fly population in an area, or people population in a city or a rural area.” The teacher discussed while Sunny’s mind was flying out of nowhere because of the dream she had last night.

When Sunny saw her teacher Siwon, the memory kept flashing back. She wants to talk to her teacher. But she couldn't. Yet as for a student's duty, she must first give her attention to the lessons and not on the person teaching it. But she can't prevent the thoughts that kept running on her mind.

Kriiiiiiiinggggggg!


Another set of classes has ended. Everyone called it a day! On the other hand, Sunny was preoccupied on how she will get a timing on how to talk to the man. Amidst the students that sandwiches the young lady, she unexpectedly saw Siwon from the other side of the hallway. That is her chance to talk to him now! Despite the blocking students the eager short girl pursued to pass through the busy hallway. But suddenly, a hand grabbed her shoulder.

"Ouch!" The brunette reacted.

"Where are you going nerd?" a familiar voice said.

Not again. Sunny thought. Then she faced her and little did she know that another three figures at the back of Kyeongeon was staring at her.

"Eonni, please not now."


"What?! And who the hell are you to command me like that?" kyeongeon retorted.


Sunny was speechless staring at her seonbae. Then the three other seniors surrounded Sunny, sandwiching her.


"Hey, what are you doing?" the short figured girl asked shockingly. The four compressed with Sunny at the center. When the hallway was empty, the five girls were only left. Little did they know, that Taeyeon has not yet moved out of her classroom.

The seniors then brought Sunny back inside their classroom. Kyeongeon who grabbed her, pushed her at the room's corner. Then Semi's hand dropped to her cheeks, another hand slapped her other cheek and it was Kyeongeon. "That's for slapping me in the lobby."

 

Sunny slid down the floor clutching and cupping her cheeks. Kyeonghwa followed by kicking her on the side. "That's for escaping the stock room!"

Sunny winced and squealed in pain. "This one too." Hyojin kicked Sunny on the other side. The four girls laughed while enjoying the habit of bullying the eye glassed girl.

"Hey! Stop that!" Taeyeon shouted. The four all paused upon hearing the loud voice and they all turned their heads to look at the one who had just stopped them.

"Oh! Wanna join?" Hyojin sarcastically asked. "Come here you another b****!" Semi walked towards her pulling the fearless girl. "No!" Sunny shouted while she was still clenching because of pain. The four then shifted their attention to Taeyeon and started beating and striking her also.

Sunny couldn't move but her raged was climbing up. She gnashed her teeth because of anger. She tried to stand up, but she failed wincing because of pain. She tried it again for the second time, and there, she made it! The short lady then felt a strange strength that she never knows where it came from. She walked towards the seonbaes and started to grab each one of them, throwing them away from her troubled friend.

Hyojin was thrown to tables and chairs that it was made disarranged. Semi bounced through the wall, while Kyeonghwa was also pushed to the tables and chairs, and only Kyeongeon was nailed to the wall while Sunny's hand clamped all around her neck. The clamped senior saw Sunny's eyes. Her raging wrath towards them.

"Ple...please... Sto..."

Taeyeon on the other hand, witnessing the intense situation in front of her. And she can't take what she's seeing anymore, so she stopped her raging friend. "Sunny, please stop it!" Taeyeon shouted rushing and pulling Sunny's hand out of Kyeongeon's neck. Yet her friend is too strong. But suddenly, the short figured brunette just abruplty let go of Kyeongeon's neck. Kyeongeon coughed over Sunny's tight grip. Then the eye glassed young lady suddenly fainted. It became silent. Everyone was panting. Everyone was physically hurt. Taeyeon then rushed to her unconscious friend. On the other hand, the four seniors were shocked on the extraordinary strength that Sunny showed. It made them alarmed. Then slowly, everyone except the two freshmen left the classroom.

"Sunny, please wake up." Teayeon pleads sobbing while tapping her friend’s cheek. The awake brunette shook her friend and tapped her face to wake her up. Until, Sunny moaned and returned to her senses.
"Taeyeon? What happened?" Sunny asked while she was trying to get a clear vision of her surroundings, her hands, reached her head rubbing it.

"Come on, let's go back to the dorm now." Taeyeon just simply answered while helping Sunny to get up.
...

After a whole day of class, Taeyeon visited Sunny at her room to check if her friend is already well. The concerned friend slowly waved at Sunny who was lying on the bed. "Hello?" She said shyly as she entered Sunny's room. Taeyeon then slowly walked towards the sick girl's bed and sat beside the lying brunette. Sunny gets up and changes into a sitting position leaning her back on the wall and looking straight to the opposite wall. "Taeyeon ssi, I don't know what are the reasons why I am becoming like this. But something strange is happening to me these past few days. Since the time the seniors locked me in the cabinet."

Taeyeon showed a wondering look to her friend. Her hand then moved to Sunny's hand.

"Did you remember the lady I asked you about? The girl I saw outside the cafeteria."
"What about her Sunny?" Taeyeon asked.
"She's the one I am seeing in my dreams. The one that Siwon seonsaengnim killed. I was planning to talk to Teacher Siwon after class, but I hadn't because the seniors came and grabbed me inside the room and started to beat me." Sunny explained and sighed at the trouble she had a while ago.

“I think your dream wants to convey something about Siwon seonsaengnim and that girl?” Teayeon answered but making it like she was not sure about the guess she had.

The older brunette moved closer to the younger brunette and copied her position. Her hand held her friend's hand. No words came out of but a deep sigh instead. Showing support for the beaten friend Taeyeon held her hand more tightly. The two brunettes turned their heads facing each other. Their eyes met. Only the wind that enters through the window that made the sound. Each of their emotions was rising. Heart beats fast.

Thump!
Thump!
Thump!


Their hearts pump blood more that it made less oxygen circulating in their bodies. Both of their lungs now need extra oxygen. Taeyeon, then moved her face closer to Sunny. The other brunette didn't move for she guessed what Taeyeon will be going to do. Their faces were now close to each other. Their noses were touching each other. Their eyes met. They looked each other as if waiting for the other to make the move. No one knows. They maybe have read each other's mind.And! It made their lips finally collide. It was gentle. All kinds of anxiety, fear and misery turned into temporary paradise. Sunny's arms slowly wrap Taeyeon. Taeyeon did as well. A one soft gentle kiss made the night calmer and sweeter.