Summer Afternoon

In Real Life

POV ㅡ Taeyeon

After I finished putting sunscreen on Tiffany, she did the same on me and we decided to wait a few minutes for it to dry. We were still just sitting on the chair when I decided to get up and walk to the pool and put my toe in the water to feel its temperature.

"You know, I've never been very fond of summer, I've always preferred winter," I said. "But now I feel excited about going to the pool. I guess I've just spent too much time without trying to enjoy summer."

Tiffany chuckled. "Well, and I've always been very fond of summer. Summer sounds like fun to me," she smiled. "But, say, do you like ice cream?"

I turned my head to her excitedly. 

"I love it!"

"Great. I have chocolate ice cream in my freezer. I'll go get some, okay?"

I just nodded and smiled. Ice cream! Yes! It's been a few weeks since I've had ice cream for the last time. During the week I would always leave my home in the morning and come back almost at night, I was never in the mood for ice cream. But now I was.

She came back with two big mugs, each of them filled with chocolate ice cream to the top. She handed me mine, but before starting to eat, we decided to finally get in the water. It was a little cold at first, but we got used to it and then we were just enjoying it. We supported our arms on its borders while eating.

"I have to tell you," I started "I googled you."

She looked at me for a few seconds before laughing and putting her hand in front of , once she had it filled with ice cream.

"Taeyeon Kim googled me? May I ask why?"

"I did," I chuckled. "I, you know, I had heard about you, but I didn't know much. So I decided to google you, I hope you don't mind."

"No, I don't. I know a lot of people do that, anyway," she smiled. "What did you find out?"

"Uh... I found out that your most famous role was a spy, that you are only a few months younger than me and that Matthew Reynolds declared himself addicted to your lips," I said as I contained my laugh and stuffed my mouth with ice cream.

"Oh, gosh," she said as she closed her eyes and laughed, resting her forehead on the pool's border for a brief moment before turning to me again "Matthew Reynolds was such a pain in the neck!"

"Was he?"

"Yeah," she assured. "He was one of my first pairs, you know, I think I was romantically involved with him in my second or third movie. We filmed a few kissing scenes, it was just acting for me, but he kept going after me saying I was amazing and that he was bewitched. When we wrapped up our filming and after our promotions, whenever he was asked to talk about me, he would invariably mention my lips. I was so embarrassed."

By then I was already laughing.

"Well, I feel your pain," I looked at her and picked up my mug, holding it with one of my hands and turning my body, resting my back on the pool's wall "I went through something similar with Brandon Collins, he was my workmate and we had to fake a relationship for the sake of the movie's profits, but it looked like he didn't know the difference between the real and the fake," I chuckled.

"Hold up. You mean to tell me that your relationship with Brandon Collins was staged?" she said as she looked at me, surprised.

"Did you know about it?"

"Come on! The whole Hollywood used to talk about that!"

"I guess I'm not that into what Hollywood talks about, then," I smiled weakly "but yeah, it was fake. But he still bothers me, though. Thank goodness he doesn't have my personal number, I would go crazy if he did. Sooyoung picks up calls from him at least three times a week," I said and rolled my eyes.

"These boys... They can't see a pretty woman that they already think they're in love," she shook her head. "How did you handle it?"

"Uh.. You know, like, the show business asked for it. There was nothing I could really do but go for it. It would have to end sooner or later, anyway. And we weren't close, we wouldn't even handle a conversation if we weren't on camera, though we did go out twice or something to make the whole story more reliable," I said as I finished my ice cream and put the mug out of the pool, going back to my previous position afterwards "but I felt a little dumb doing that. I don't think I would do it again. It feels very dishonest."

She nodded and put her mug away like I did.

"I understand. I don't think I could do it. I mean... I'm an actress, acting is my job, but... That's like, on screen, you know? To entertain people. I think faking love like that could even hurt me. I know it sounds silly," she smiled "but I think it's the kind of thing that has to be entirely sincere."

"Yeah, it does," I smiled back. "But, you know, despite that, all I've read about you were good things."

She laughed again. "Yeah? Like what?"

"Everyone says you're one of the most beautiful women in Hollywood and that, if someone doesn't like the genre of your movies, they should still watch them only for your face," I chuckled with her. "You should feel flattered, I was never that praised for my looks, only for my skills."

"Isn't that better?"

"Well, it's good," I nodded "but being recognized for my beauty like you are would also be," I pouted.

"Come on!"she laughed, "I think it is better to be praised by your skills. I think we should feel flattered for each other, then."

"I guess," I giggled.

The talk died down for one minute or two before Tiffany decided to break the silence.

"You've been in this business since very young, haven't you? What made you want to become an actress?"

I stood there for some seconds replaying her question in my head before finally answering it. What made me want to become an actress? What made me want to become an actress?

"You see," I my lips and pressed them together "I have always loved to act. Since I was very little. But I was definitely too young to understand what that meant or what it could bring to my future, I had no idea it could be a professional career... Well, I didn't even know what a profession was," I chuckled. "But my mom brought me to this audition and I passed, that's where it all began. I've been a Hollywood actress since then. I love my job, but... I wasn't born to be famous, if you understand me. Sometimes it scares me. Sometimes I wish I could be successful in what I do without being famous and known everywhere."

She listened to me carefully and nodded while smiling weakly when I finished talking. "I understand you," she said. "It is definitely not an easy task. It deprives us of a lot of things normal people do and have. I guess it's the price to pay for choosing to do such a thing for a living."

"Yeah, I think so," I agreed. "How about you?"

"I was very shy when I was a kid, I wouldn't talk properly to anyone, so my mom decided o enroll me in this drama class when I was around 5 or 6. I became more outgoing since then and fell in love with acting. But I never considered becoming a professional actress, I thought I wouldn't have any future. But then I started high school and couldn't indentify with any profession, I was already going nuts because I had to choose a college and something to study and nothing would interest me. That was when I decided to choose acting, it was the only thing I knew how to do well," she chuckled. "I think I've made the right choice."

I smiled at her and our conversation continued. We would talk about any and everything, that tension and anxiety when we were around each other went away and we both could feel we were more comfortable now, I could already see a friend in her. It's funny, I had never been so comfortable with a workmate so quickly, specially the one that would be my romantic pair in the movie, but with Tiffany everything was easier. Maybe because this time it was a girl and girls understand girls better than boys understand girls? She was a fun person to be around and easy to talk to, no wonder everyone likes her so much. We were so excited about our talk and about getting to know each other better that I didn't even bother the scalding sun on me. I was happy. I hadn't had such a fun time during summer in ages.

We continued talking for two hours or something before I heard my phone ringing. I got out of the pool and went to the chair where I had placed my phone earlier, the caller ID said it was Sooyoung and I immediately picked up.

"Sooyoung! Thank goodness you're calling. How are you? How is your sister?"

"Hey, Taeng. I'm fine, thanks. Soojin is fine in her own terms. She fractured a leg and will have to stay at the hospital for a few days. She also has a cut on her head, but at least she's conscious. I have to go back to the hospital to see her tomorrow, if you don't mind..." her voice sounded weak. Poor Soo.

"No, of course I don't. Take your time, I'll give you a break if you need to."

"No, I will continue with you, I'll be okay if you only give me these relatively brief breaks during the day when I need to. Thank you. I'm sorry for this, Taeng..."

"It's not your fault, Soo. Don't apologize. I'll only be rehearsing this week, anyway. Don't worry."

"Thank you, really," she sighed. "Hey, me and Anthony are heading to the studio to pick you up. We'll be there in 10 minutes."

"Um.. Actually, Soo, I'm not at the studio."

"Huh? Where are you?"

"I'm..." I looked at Tiffany, who was just swimming around "I'm at Tiffany's place. Her manager brough us here."

"Ooooh," she said. Crap. I knew it. I knew it, she's going to tease me for the rest of my life, I knew it. It's ridiculous how Sooyoung sees everything as something mischievous. "Can you give me her address, then? I still need to pick you up. Unless you want to sleep there."

I ignored the last comment.

"I will ask her to type it down and I'll send you. Bye."

I started to make my way back to the pool with my phone in hands when Tiffany noticed me.

"Was it your manager? Is she okay?"

"Yeah, she and her sister are okay, she said her sister is recovering slowly and will have to stay at the hospital for a few days." I gave her a weak smile. "Can you type down your address here? She said she's going to pick me up now, she has already left the hospital."

 


 

POV ㅡ Tiffany

I let Taeyeon take a quick shower and she left half an hour later when Sooyoung came to pick her up. I was happy, I had a great afternoon. She was a calm and comforting person to be around, and I wasn't feeling awkward, uncomfortable or embarrassed to be near her. I think we could be great friends soon, I was sure our work would be neatly and gladly done during the upcoming months of filming.

I took a shower and put on my pajamas, since I wouldn't have anything else to do during the day nor nowhere to go. I lied on the couch and the TV before dialing Sunny's number on my phone.

"Hi, Tiff," she picked up.

"Hey Sunny, how are you?"

"Good. I visited my family, just arrived home now. How are things going with Taeyeon?"

"Oh, she's already left. But everything went just fine, we had a good afternoon together."

"What did you two do?"

"Well, I made her scrambled eggs, we read the script together and talked about the scenes and how we'd like to work closely with Martin and the staff and then we went to the pool and ate ice cream there."

There was a few seconds of silence before I heard Sunny bursting into laughter.

"What's so funny about it?" I frowned.

"You mean to tell me you cooked?" she said in between laughs.

"Hey! Cooking scrambled eggs is not that big of a deal, okay?"

"Yeah, yeah, sure. How many eggs did you break?" 

"... One," I said as I rolled my eyes. My answer just made her laugh even harder.

"That's how you do it, Fany. You invite your newest workmate to spend some time in your house in the very first day you meet and then you embarrass yourself in front of them by failing to break an egg," she said, emphasizing the 'break an egg' part.

"Gosh, Sunny, shut up! You sound like my conscience."

"Thank you. By the way, Tiff, I received a message from Mr. Cox. There was a change of plans."

"Yeah? What change? Is it something serious?"

"No, it's nothing much, don't worry. It's only that they decided they are going to film with the kids and the teenager girls that will be the younger versions of Taeyeon's character and yours first. They were originally going to film with them when they were done with you two, but they decided it would be better if they filmed with the girls first. So, you and Taeyeon are not going to have to start rehearsing this week."

"That means I don't need to go to the studio tomorrow?"

"Actually, you do. Instead of rehearsing, you two will be doing a photoshoot for the promotional pictures. They said they want to release some as soon as possible to start promoting the movie, and they also want to pick the picture for the movie poster before everyone gets too busy with the filming, the outfits, the stills, internet promotions and etc..."

"Oh... I see," I nodded. "Well, I think that's good, at least I have more time to rest, prepare and study the script better. Thank you, Sun. Do Taeyeon and her manager know that?"

"I believe so, Mr. Cox addressed the message as 'Ms. Lee and Ms. Choi'. Fany, I have to hang up now. I have to feed Prince and take a shower, I'm exhausted. You remember I told you I didn't sleep well last night, right?"

"Yeah, sure. Go rest. Give Prince a kiss for me. Rest well Sun, see you tomorrow."

"See you, bye," she said before hanging up.

I hung up too and sighed. I was pretty excited to start to work as soon as possible, to be honest. But I would try to see this from the positive side, maybe it's indeed good to rest a little and study the script before starting to film. I put my phone down and turned my attention to the TV, hoping there was something good to watch.

 


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Everyone welcome the 4th chapter~ :) I think it's shorter than I expected it to be, but I had to update soon. This part was actually supposed to be in the 3rd chapter but I would take too long to update if I waited for this part to be complete, so I had to divide the chapter into the 3rd and this one. I'll be starting to write the 5th now. PLEASE COMMENT! Comments are more important than everything. Have a good read~