Casting

In Real Life

POV ㅡ Taeyeon

It was 6:30AM and I was in my van with my manager - and best friend - Sooyoung, resting my forehead on the window, with a huge cup of coffee in one hand, my personal phone in the other, and heading to a photoshoot that. The probability of the photoshoot lasting for some long 3 hours, or even more, has huge, and the thought made me groan. I very, very tired, for I hadn't slept last night. Insomnia got me good once again. A great beginning for a Friday.

I heard the cellphone I use for work ringing, but I didn't bother to look. I was too tired to even answer the phone.

"Sooyoung, can you please answer it for me?" I said, almost as a whisper, and then sipped on my coffee, hoping caffeine would make me wake up a little. "And if it is Brandon again, tell that son of a that if he doesn't shut up and leave me alone I will ing kill him with my own bare hands," I added. "I've been sick and tired of him for too long now."

Brandon Collins is a famous Hollywood actor. As famous as I am. We worked together in my last movie, over a year and a half ago. We were a couple in the movie and, for the profits' sake, we agreed on faking a relationship at least during the press tour. It worked. You know, Brandon's actually not bad; he can be a nice person and cool guy... but he's way to insistent, delusional, and consequently childish. All hell breaks loose if he doesn't get things his way, and boy, does he take rejection badly. While our "relationship" was, for me, really just acting, he kind of fell in love with me for real, and ever since we "broke up"ㅡwhich was about six months ago ㅡhe wouldn't stop nagging at me, talking about how much he wants to "be back with me" and how he can't picture his life without me in it. He calls me at least 3 times a week, and that is only when he is busy. Well, at least he doesn't have my personal number, and I can get Sooyoung to answer his calls. You see, usually, I am very patient and nice. I like to be polite. But this man has been driving me up the wall, and I have been trying to tell him to go to hell for quite some time now. Nothing seems to work, though.

"Hello," I heard Sooyoung answer the call, putting it on the speaker mode.

"Hello. Are you speaking for Taeyeon Kim?" the manly voice on the line said. 

"Yes, I am. You're talking to Sooyoung Choi, her manager. How can I help you?"

"Oh, great. Good morning Ms. Choi. I just received the script for the new movie I'll be directing and I would really like to have Ms. Kim read it. Is she there? Could I speak to her?"

By then, I had already set my complete attention to the call, but still didn't feel like talking to anyone. I brought my palms together and leaned my cheek on my hand, signaling Sooyoung to tell the man I was asleep.

"I'm afraid she is unavailable at the moment. I'm sorry."

I meant asleep, Sooyoung. But I guess 'unavailable' will do it. 

"Oh... Well, may I send her the script? It is something different than what I've always seen her do, and I think she might be interested. Moreover, I would really, really like to have her in this film."

By hearing that, Sooyoung turned to me with a questioning look. I gave her one thumb up. I was very excited to get another role. And if the director says it is something different from my previous works, it only makes everything better. I was curious to know what the script was about.

"Yes, you may. I'm sure she'll gladly read it. I'll be sending you the address in a few minutes, Mr....?"

"Cox. Martin Cox."

"Okay, Mr. Cox. Thank you for your call."

"Thank you. The script will be delivered as soon as possible. You can contact me through this number."

And, with that, Sooyoung hung up the call. "So?" she asked.

"So what?" 

"Are you really interested?"

"Yeah, why not? You know I love to act. And I believe I will have some more time to rest until we start to film it. I'm actually looking forward to reading the script. The Cox guy got me curious," I chuckled.

"Yeah." Sooyoung chuckled with me. "I have to admit I'm curious too. People don't usually offer you much different roles, they know your style and what makes you stand out the most... I liked how this guy took a step forward with you, you know. And I also think it is going to be great for you to play something different, I have a good feeling about this."

I smiled.

"Me too."

 


 

POV ㅡ Tiffany

I woke up by the sound of my phone ringing. I looked at the clock on my nightstand, and it said 11:45a.m. Had I really slept that much? Well, I wasn't working, anyway. I picked my phone up and looked at the ID. I smiled a little, rubbing my eyes and answering the call.

"Good morning, Sunny," I said, greeting my manager and friend.

"Good morning Ms. Sleepy Head, I have good news for you.

"Oh, do you? Great news in the morning is a lovely thing. Do tell me." I made myself more comfortable in my bed and under the covers, excited to know what Sunny had to tell me.

"I just received a call from Mr. Martin Cox, a very good director. A rising star behind the scenes, really. The thing is, the man is also doing the casting for his new movie, and... I got you the script. He told me he wants you for one of the roles. And, you know what? It sound like kind of movie you would like to be in."

"Oh my God, really? This is so good, Sunny!" I said, sitting up in a jolt, smiling excitedly. "When will you hand it to me? Have you read it?"

Sunny chuckled. "Calm down. I haven't read it. I wouldn't dare to if you haven't yet. But it is here with me, already. And I'm on my way to your house, if you don't mind."

"No, of course not! Come, I'll be waiting for you," I said, and smiled to myself.

"Good. Oh, and by the way, I'm bringing us lunch," Sunny added.

I just had to chuckle.

"You are fabulous, Sun."

I hung up the phone without waiting for Sunny to respond and immediately got up from the bed. My house was kind of far from the downtown, so I was sure that Sunny would take at least almost half an hour to arrive. I decided to take a bath and put on some comfortable clothes to wait for her, and I couldn't contain my excitement. I had a great feeling about this upcoming project.

 


 

Taeyeon ㅡ POV

The photoshoot went by smoothly. I was surrounded with good people. And, for my surprise, it didn't last as much as I expected it two. I arrived at the studio at 7AM, and by 9:30AM I was already done. Sooyoung and I stopped by a small cafeteria to have breakfast, since neither I nor her had had anything but coffee the whole morning. When I got home, it was around 11AM. I found the script that was offered to me some hours earlier packed on top of my bed, my housekeeper must've received it and decided to let it for me in my room, since I dismissed him from his chores this afternoon. I'll thank him later.

I took of my shoes, threw myself on the bed and let out a small sigh of relief when I did so. I had been praying for that moment for the whole morning. I would take a nap if I could but, unsurprisingly, I wasn't sleepy anymore. I made myself comfortable and took the script's package, opening it and grabbing the script. It said "Stupid Cupid" and "LEAH" on the first page ㅡ I suppose that's my character's name. I furrowed my brows.

"What is this going to be? Some kind of a chick-flick?" I murmured to myself.

Anyway, I was still curious about the plot, so I decided to give it a chance. 

Fifteen minutes later, I was already in the middle of the script and completely surprised with what I was reading.

"Now... That is something different from my previous roles," I said to myself, already convinced that Leah's role had to be mine.

I finished the script so quickly I almost felt like I was devouring it and, as soon as I did so, I texted Sooyoung asking for Mr. Cox's number. It made me so excited to get the chance of playing something I had never played before, that was everything acting was about for me. I really wanted that role, it would be an amazing personal and professional experience. I had to try. 

I grabbed my phone when I heard it beeping, saying that Sooyoung had replied my SMS. I instantly called the number I received.

"Yes?" Mr. Cox answered.

"Hello, Mr. Martin Cox? This is Taeyeon Kim speaking. I just finished reading the script you sent me."

"Oh goodness, this is awesome! It's marvelous! I'm so glad you did, Ms. Kim. So?"

"I'm in," I replied and smiled. 

 


 

POV ㅡ Tiffany

It was already 12:20PM and I was sitting on my couch playing with my puppy Prince when I heard Sunny's car's horn. I rapidly got up and made my way to the door, opening and consequently watching a cute Sunny chewing something that I believed that was fried chicken. I chuckled. She was so small and cute, it didn't even look like she was 2 years older than me. 

"Hey!" I shouted "I'm hungry too!" I pouted. "Share!"

She turned to me when she heard my voice and giggled. She finished grabbing everything she needed from inside her car and made her way to my door. I greeted her with a small hug, I didn't want her to drop everything she had in hands.

"So?" I smiled widely "Where's the script?"

"Hi to you too," she said "I thought you were hungry."

"I am hungry, happy to see you but above all I'm excited AND curious," I said as she walked in and I closed the door.

"Here," she chuckled and handed me the script. "You can read it while eating. If I were you, I would do that. I won't wait for you and you'll have no right to complain if there's no food left for you when you finish this thing."

I agreed with her and we sat on my living room's carpet. She placed the food in between us, she had bought chinese food ㅡ my favorite ㅡ and, as I expected, fried chicken. Eating fried chicken during Fridays was almost becoming a tradition to us. I placed some cushions under my body and lay on my stomach, Sunny did the same beside me after finishing her meal, and we opened the script's package together.

"Stupid Cupid," I started to read the first page "ELLA. I suppose I'm Ella?" 

Sunny just shrugged. "Let's read."

 

"Wow, Sunny, wow, this is..." I started some minutes after starting to read.

"Yeah..." she nodded "This is something."

"This is actually awesome, Sunny! This is great for me. I haven't had the chance of showing all of my acting skills yet, this will start to show people what I'm capable of. I wasn't expecting it to be such a different character, now I'm even more excited."

"So, you'll take it?"

"Of course I am! I want the number of Mr.... Mr.... Mr. Cox, right? I want Mr. Cox's number. I want to speak to him directly about this."

Sunny chuckled over my excitement and handed me her phone, already calling the director. I wasn't sure if I was nervous, excited or both.

"Hello?" I heard him say.

"Hello, Mr. Cox. This is Tiffany Hwang," I smiled

"Oh, Ms. Hwang, my dear! I presume you read the script Ms. Lee got you?"

"I sure did," I said, still smiling "I just called you to say that I'll take it."

"Great! Fantastic, this is just fantastic! Your partner just confirmed her taking her role, too. I'm bubbling with excitement right now, I believe from now on it's all downhill."

"Oh, did she?" I wasn't expecting any news from my partner until the beginning of the filming. "May I know who is she?"

"Sure, my dear. It's Taeyeon Kim. You know her, don't you?"

Jesus ING Christ. 

"Uh... Yeah... Yeah yeah, of course I do..." Oh. My.

"Good. I think you two are perfect for your respective roles. I can picture you two making a great pair. Listen, Ms. Hwang, I'm sorry, but I have to go now. I still have a lot of work to do. Oh, but by the way, I want you and Taeyeon to meet as soon as possible, and I want to see you both too. Is Monday 9AM good for you? It's probably the only time of the day I'll be free."

"Yes, Monday is good. Thank you, Mr. Cox. Bye!" I said as I hung up the call.

I just stood there with a desperate but blank face.

"Hey!" Sunny poked my arm "Wake up. What happened?"

"I'm going to be sharing the screen with Taeyeon Kim."

"NO WAY," Sunny said, as she widened her eyes.

I just nodded.

"OHMYGOD Tiff, you are with the big ones now! This is awesome!" She started to clap.

"Yeah, it is, but Sunny, she is so... She is she, you know?" I sighed "What if I get too nervous and mess up? I can't mess up when working with someone like her."

"Hey, hey," Sunny hugged me from the side "Don't worry, okay? You're always so full of self-confidence it's almost enviable. Use that. You'll do great in the movie and you'll do great with her, okay?"

I smiled. Sunny was definitely a great friend and manager.

 


 

POV ㅡ Taeyeon

I  was finally in my dream land when I woke up to the sound of my phone ringing. I picked it up with my eyes still half closed.

"Hello, Taeyeon Kim speaking," I lazily said.

"Ms. Kim? Am I interrupting something?

I recognized the voice as Mr. Cox's and immediately sat on my bed and recomposed myself, cleaning my throat.

"No, Mr. Cox, of course you aren't. Is there anything wrong?"

"No, everything is perfectly fine. I just called you to tell you your partner just confirmed her participation and that I want you to meet and I also want to see you both. Are you free on Monday 9AM?"

"I guess I am, I have to talk with my manager. But don't worry, if not, I'll cancel any other plan. I'll be there," I said before making a small pause "Can you tell me who is she?"

"You girls are curious, she made me the same question," he chuckled "It's Tiffany Hwang."

I mouthed an 'O'. Tiffany Hwang. I had heard about her. 

"Okay, thank you, Mr. Cox. Have a nice day."

"You too, Ms. Kim," he said and hung up.

I stood there for a moment before calling Sooyoung.

"Hey, Soo?" I said as she picked up.

"Hey Taeng, what is it? I'm eating, you know. Don't disturb me."

"I pay you. I disturb you as much as I want. Listen, do I have anything scheduled for Monday at 9AM?"

"No," she said, making a pause "Nothing I can remember of. Why?"

"Mr. Cox just called me. He wants me to meet with him and my partner then."

"Oh, your partner? Do you already know who is he?"

"Mhm," I said. "But it is not actually a he," I added as I picked up my laptop and opened Google, typing Tiffany's name on it.

"Aren't they?"

"No. It's Tiffany Hwang."

"Tiffany Hwang?!" She sounded really surprised. I bet she only didn't scream because she was in public. "Wow. She is in some of my favorite movies. She's good. How do you like her?"

"I... Well, she is..." I started to say as I went through her pictures on Google "She is a gorgeous woman. Talented, too, as far as I know," I sighed "But from what I've heard, we're really different, personality-wise. I'm afraid that might stand in our way."

"Hey, chill. Everything is going to be fine. But, if she is your partner... What is this movie about?

"I think you should come over here later and read the script by yourself."

 


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

First chapter is out! ^-^ How do you like it? I'll start to write the second one and I think it'll be out in a few hours or something. Please, comment&subscribe, but mostly comment, that way you encourage me to continue this. Enjoy~ (: