You're the one I like

E s o t e r i c ` A m o u r
They say absence makes the heart grow fonder. Hyojoo wondered if it was true. When Jaejoong left for Japan, she had thought that she would die missing him but it turned out otherwise. She listened to him well and lived very well in Korea. There were of course times when she felt lonesome and wished to listen to his voice. She would then switch on her mp3 player at night and listened to his songs. It was as if he was by her side, singing to her softly and her hair while she went to sleep. When she became bored of hearing the same songs looping over and over again, she would drag her friends out for some drinks. Life didn’t seem too bad after all.

Maybe not so well for the boyfriend, on the other hand. The five boys had been switching between Dong Bang Shin Ki and Tohoshinki, travelling so many times that they lost count. Recordings for their Japanese singles were considered one of the easiest tasks for them. It was the preparation of concerts which overstrained them. Glamorous it might be on the stage but few could understand the torment of dieting and practicing dance steps more than ten hours a day. When any one of them felt like giving up, the others would give their encouragement, allowing the team to overcome obstacles and become better. That was probably what people usually called brotherhood. Brothers share weal and woe, working together only helped to bring them closer to one another.

“Hyung, wanna go for some drinks tonight?” Yoochun draped his arm over Jaejoong’s broad shoulders and laid his head on them. They had trained more than expected that day and he thought that there should be some self reward.

“Definitely,” the other man nodded and blew his own bangs which were plastered on his forehead due to perspiration. They really deserved to relax before all of them go berserk out of the operoseness.

.
.

She checked her reflection in the mirror and ruffled the hair to give a slight lascivious look. It was her first time entering a club since her comeback. She liked alcohol but the loud music and rowdy crowd irked her. Exposure to bright lights and deafening sounds was saved for the day, when she had to nod and smile and talk for income. The night should be peaceful, not interrupted by drunkards shouting in the air or teenagers on drugs shaking their heads off. If not for a friend whom she had not seen for a long time, she wouldn’t even step into the smoky place infiltrated by blinking lights.

“Hey babe, alone?” An incredibly sensuous voice reached her ear and she felt a hand slipping through her waist. Instinctively, she grabbed it and twisted the wrist, causing the culprit to squall in pain.

“Aki Aki Aki! It’s me! It’s me!”

Her head tilted up to catch her old friend’s agonized face before she gasped and instantly let go of the sore hand.

“Keita-kun!”

The 24 year old man gave his handsome smile, indicating that he was fine and even hugged the surprised girl to show his friendliness.

“Aki-chan… it seems that you haven’t changed after two and a half years. Your strength is still…” Keita displayed a thumbs-up while pulling his cap lower to avoid being spotted by fans.

“Keita-kun!” The girl pouted at his teasing. Keita had not changed much either. He was still as good-looking and kind as he was many years ago when they first met. It wasn’t much of a wonder that they knew each other. W-inds debuted one year after Aki and they went into the music industry at roughly the same time. Aki remembered the boyish Keita with his brown hair and its center parting; his five octave voice and his innocent puppy eyes when he was at a loss of words. Those features had disappeared as he grew older. Yet the thoughtful heart remained in him all the while. He was one of the few she’d informed about her return to Japan and she had felt guilty for declining his offer to meet up as a result of her fully packed schedule. Finally, she found the time to talk to him and it was really enjoyable.

“Neh Keita-kun,” Aki spoke after drinking some of her Tequila Sunset, “why do you wanna meet here? I thought you don’t drink?”

Her eyes shifted towards the mocktail in his hands. Keita wasn’t exactly an alcoholic. He would not pass out after a glass but he had never loved it as much as some friends of hers. He didn’t even drink sake, why did he even want a gathering in a club?

“Ah~ I wanted to tell you but I forgot about it when you twisted my hand just now!” Keita laughed and was about to continue when the phone in his back pocket vibrated.

Aki finished her drink while he talked on the phone. Her tolerance level was as high as before, to her own amazement. She was rather glad that Keita ordered a non-alcoholic drink. If not, she might need to tow a 183-cm man out of the club and risk appearing on the headline news of the tabloid magazines. If she wasn’t famous enough, Keita was, not to mention a drunken Keita.

Aki was contemplating over the choice for her sixth drink when Keita pulled her to another room.

“Where are you bringing me to?”

He winked, “I’ll let you meet my new friends.”

.
.

Knock. Knock.

The naïve guy knocked on the door politely. Aki lowered her head, slightly embarrassed by her friend’s actions. It was obvious Keita seldom go to clubs or pubs. He was apparently oblivious of the fact that only waiters knocked on the doors.

Knock. Knock.

“Why aren’t they opening the door?” Keita asked impatiently and intended to call his friends.

“Um, Keita, you can just open the door. No one will do it.” Aki was tempted to touch the knob but decided that her friend should do it, since she didn’t know the strangers inside.

Keita eventually opened the door, revealing three men. One lying flat on the stomach and two familiar faces that caused her to widen her eyes. Micky Yoochun and Youngwoong Jaejoong? Coincidence?

“TACHIBANA!” Yoochun cried out, exhilarated at the sight of Keita. He looked a little tipsy with his flushed face. Jaejoong, on the other hand, rushed towards Keita who, in turn, gave him a warm bear hug. It seemed that Jaejoong was even more inebriated as he tried to keep his movements coordinated. Aki stared at Keita, receiving his apologetic smile. She gave an empathetic smile, she knew what he wanted to say. It was just not the right time to introduce the friends.

Before she could do anything else, the man whose surname’s Park had landed right before her, offering the bottle in his hand. His head bowed lightly as he announced his own name, not forgetting his well manners. Aki still felt a little awed as she took the hand and shook it, only to feel a slap on the skin, coming from her favorite idol. Jaejoong had pushed Yoochun aside and leaned closer to take a good look at her. Aki thought she was going to stop breathing as the alluring eyes bore into hers. Those were an angel’s features! How could they come together on a man’s face which was only an inch away from hers?

He finally stepped back and burped. Keita found his buddy too cute and started laughing until Jaejoong imposed the death glare. The latter’s gaze then went back to Aki before exclaiming, “I know you! You’re… you’re the one I like, you’re Aki!”

.
.

Chunky paragraphs in this chapter.
Sorry for the long wait.
Un-inspired/motivated, plus exams some time ago, add up to why I didn't update.

I was imagining myself in Aki's shoes while writing. Can you believe? If Jae's only an inch away from you? No wonder she froze like a statue LOL

Please continue to support! <3

13.12.09