The Lion's Den

Chasing Rabbits

Ellie's Pov

"Hi!" A boy suddenly jumped from behind me and placed his arm around my shoulders. He acted causally as if he was my best friend. "Woohyun?" I said trying to get away from his arm. "I been instructed to take you somewhere. Sorry." He said causing my heart to start beating quickly….I'm in trouble now…oh no...

"Where are you taking me?" I was getting too scared to even refuse. "To our secret place. Relax it's not that scary." Woohyun assured. He was making it sound too casual....I'm I being kidnapped? I had a choice of fighting it, but I figured I would have ended up losing. Besides, that Sunggyu seems to have a lot of power. It's best I try to resolve this quietly. In the back of my mind, I knew my logic wasn't a very smart choice.

As I was being led to by Woohyun, he kept humming to some song on his headphones. He was also eating a lollipop. It seems like he is of a carefree nature. What exactly do these people want of me and why am I their target? "Woohyun." I called his name and stopped walking. I was getting too nervous. "Hmm?" He looked surprised. "What is all this about?" I couldn't hold it anymore. "I don't know, Sunggyu just wants to see you." He shrugged innocently....I'm getting sick of them pretending this is all games. "I know what you're thinking. You're scared as hell. But don't worry, it's not as bad as it seems." He smiled.....But I'm being bullied!..

I ended up just going with Woohyun to wherever they were taking me. We got to a street which is common for their small bars and restaurants. "We're almost here!" Woohyun said excitedly. We entered a small Italian restaurant which had a staircase in the back....what is this place? ..I tried looking around but Woohyun rushed me to go down the stairs. Under those stairs was another door. "We're here!" Woohyun knocked the door to the tune of some song. At this point I was scared....very scared.

"COME IN ALREADY!" We heard a voice from the inside, probably from Sunggyu. When we finally entered, I quickly looked around the place. It was a small bar with some lounge area. By the look of it, it seemed like it was closed down. There was Sunggyu comfortably sitting at the center couch, acting like a king. Then there was another rough looking guy laying on the floor, leaning his back against the couch, and by the bar was another guy who seemed busy preparing drinks. His expression looked calm unlike the other two who had the aspect of complete gangsters. It seriously felt like I've just walked into a lion's den.

"You're here! Welcome, come here sit." Sunggyu ordered me with his hands. He was using that friendly tone again which made me sick. At least his friend Woohyun appears more natural. Not saying he is an angel either, but at least he wasn't as cynical as this Sunggyu guy. "Why don't we introduce each other. This is Dongwoo to my left, and that guy at the bar over there is Hoya. Woohyun that idiot behind you, you already met. This is Ellie guys." He smiled. "Yah!" I could hear Woohyun complain from the back. Dongwoo waved his hand to say hi while Hoya just nodded and slightly smiled. I also did the same. "And the other one is Sungjong. WHERE! is SUNGJONG?! SUNGJOOOOONG!!" He screamed. "You sent him to get us snacks." Dongwoo informed him.."Oh right."

"Sunggyu...Umm....Why am I.." I tried asking but he interrupted my sentence. "How is that speech coming along?" He asked. ..Is he serious? It hasn't even been a few hours and he expects me to have anything done?! ARGHH!..."I haven't started yet." I said trying to remain as calm as possible. "It's due pretty soon you know. Aigo, why don't we do this. I'll help you out." He proposed. I had to bit my tongue in order to hold back my scoff. He wants to help me write his own speech. I had to exhale in order to contain my anger. I know going out on him would not be a good idea. I'm in a room full of guys I don't know afterall. Why would I piss off a lion while im in his cave.

"Hoya, why don't you make Ellie a drink. She seems a little bit stressed out." Sunggyu told the guy. "I wonder why." Hoya said almost sarcastically. He was leaning on his shoulders on the bar, its as if he was just sitting there watching us. He stood up and opened the fridge to get something....No way im drinking anything these guys give me...I'm not THAT stupid...actually I am...for ever allowing Woohyun to bring me here...Aish!!

"I need the laptop Sungjong!!! Where's the laptop! Sungjooooong!" Sunggyu yelled. "He went to get us snacks, remember?" Dongwoo informed him once again. "Oh...Right..Aish!" Sunggyu complained as he stood up from his couch to go find the laptop himself. He went over to one of the backpacks thrown on the floor. Meanwhile, I felt that Hoya guy approach. I gulped to see what he was going to bring me...Are they going to force me to drink too? I thought. Hoya walked over to the place I was sitting and placed a sealed water bottle on the table....phew..."Water?! Seriously?" Sunggyu complained to Hoya but he completely ignored him. I looked at Hoya for a moment and he secretly winked at me before going back to the bar….ah thank you.....I double checked that the water bottle was completely sealed before I drank from it.

Later, Sunggyu decided to take a sit next to me on the couch, making me feel extremely uncomfortable. He opened up a new window on his laptop and did a search on corporations. He really was 'helping' like he said he would. "Let's see." He began to read something he pulled up….Is he really going to work on his speech? why am I here then or is he mocking me…."Aish! I'm tired of reading!" He complained…."Sunggyu…you've only been reading for 2 minutes." Dongwoo informed. "Take notes as you read so you don't forget." I advised him. "Good idea!" He almost sounded genuine. "Here, why don't you take notes." He placed the laptop on my lap…..of course. I secretly rolled my eyes. "Type this: A common issue within corporate headquarters is…etc…" ….is he is actually doing his work…? This is more like me helping him do his homework… than him helping me do this homework….I was confused.

"Sungjong is here!" Woohyun yelled making us all look towards the door. He was a boy of smaller frame than the rest. He was struggling to carry the grocery bags. "What did you get?!" Woohyun went over to help him with the bags…or more like he just took them because he wanted to see what's inside. While Sunggyu was still reading from the laptop he had taken back from me, he extended his arm and made an order.

"Banana."
 

Sungjong then ran to get one from the bags and placed it on his hands. That's when he noticed me. "Huh?" He made a confused expression. "Who are you?" He asked. "That's Ellie. Aren't you gonna offer her a snack?" Sunggyu said rudely. "Oh…sorry. Here." He gave me a banana too. "Thanks.." I said. "What took you so long anyway?" Sunggyu's voice sounded scary again…"They had no bananas at the market close by so I had to go to another one." He explained….What's up with boys and bananas?…."Good work, now go play video games with Dongwoo or something. Get lost." Sunggyu signaled him to go away…..are they his friends? why is he so mean….

After a few hours of us working on the speech together, yes, together. Miraculously, Sunggyu and I did equal work. I was beginning to think of ways to get out of there since it was getting too late and I still hadn't come home since yesterday. Dongwoo, Woohyun, and Sungjong spent their time watching T.V and video games, while Hoya remained at the bar mixing drinks over and over again, it looked like he was experimenting and practicing different techniques.

**Door knocking**

"Oh hey Bob." Woohyun who went to open the door, greeted. "Aishh.." I heard a faint complaint from Sunggyu. "Party is over." He told me quietly. "Hi boys!" The older guy walked in the room comfortably…..I've seem him before…wait….isn't that the gangster who is always chasing after Myungsoo?….."Oh? You have a new friend?" Bob asked…..That's definitely him….I shyly smiled. "Have I seen you somewhere?" He told me….oh no…he may recognize me from the times he saw me with Myungsoo…What if he tells Sunggyu then I'm dead……."Uhh.." I pretended to be thinking while Bob looked at me intently like he was really trying to remember. "Nevermind, I don't think I've seen you before." He smiled…..phew…..
"That's Ellie, Sunggyu's friend." Dongwoo was the one to introduce us, even though I've had no conversation with him whatsoever. Dongwoo acts friendly despite his rough appearance…actually they all do…except Sunggyu.

"Bob." Hoya who was still behind the bar, called him. Everyone stopped talking to look at him. "Hm?" Bob listened. "You're here for Sunggyu right? Cause he already left." Hoya pointed towards the door. "Huh? Wasn't he just here? Where did he go?" Woohyun scratched his head. He disappeared while we were talking to Bob…"Aish not again, that kid! I better go now. See you guys." Bob ran out to find Sunggyu.

…..What is the relationship between this Sunggyu and this Bob person?…and why does he know Myungsoo….weird….

 



Myungsoo's Pov

"Sungyeol where are you?! Aren't we going to watch Captain America tonight?" I told my friend on the phone who still wasn't back from work. "They extended my shift! I have to stay until closing tonight. Just wait two more hours." He told me. "Fine…I'll be at home. Hurry!" I told him before we ended the call…..ah I'm so bored….I was laying on the floor rolling around like a worm. I stopped to lay on my back to stare at the ceiling…I wonder what Ellie is doing…psshh she is probably saying something crazy and speaking to herself…I smiled at the thought. **Flashback** "It's the circle of liiiiiifeeeeee" …."hahaha what the hell is up with her."

I had nothing else to do but sit there and wait for Sungyeol to get home, so I decided to work on some homework. Something I should have be doing in the first place.

 



Sungyeol's Pov

I had to stay and work for a few more hours until closing since it was a busy day today for some reason. I work at a small but popular coffee shop in town. While I was cleaning the counter, my boss called me over to help him with something. "Sungyeol. Those guys at that table over there keep drinking beers they brought from somewhere else. I told them to stop but they refused. Can you tell them we're closing down soon. Maybe you can get them to leave."….I looked over at the table and it made me sick. What is this a bar? This is a coffee shop! Go drink somewhere else! I was getting angry just from thinking about it. I dropped the towel I was cleaning with and went over to their table.

"Excuse me, is there anything else I can help you with? We're closing soon." I told them. "Yes, get us another six pack of beers." One of the guys threw money at me. "I'm sorry but this is a coffee shop, not a convenience store. We are closing so you should leave." I told them and continued "Being intoxicated at a family coffee shop is rude don't you think?" I was getting irritated because the shop was already past closing hours. The last thing I needed was rude drunk customers. One of the men threw a glass beer bottle on the ground creating a mess. "Leave." I ordered and pointed at the door. "You little brat." They all stood up at the same time causing me to step back a little. They were four buff older guys after all. They could crush me easily if they wanted to. After a few eye to eye glares, they left the shop….finally….I thought as I began to pick up the broken glass and finish cleaning the rest of the shop.

"Thanks for dealing with those men, Sungyeol." My old boss told me. "No problem chief." I smiled. "Well then, have a good night." He said as he closed down the shop and we both parted our ways…..sigh…I'm so tired…..I began walking home.

As I was walking suddenly four people came out of nowhere and surrounded me. "Hello friend." A familiar face told me….!…it's those drunk people again.

 


 

Sunggyu's Pov

Didn't I tell my dad I was staying over at Hoya's? Why does he keep sending Bob to drag me back home…Urgh! Do I look like I need a baby sitter?…I was running to nowhere really. I mean eventually I was gonna have to go back to Hoya's place. I just needed to wait a few hours for Bob to give up trying to find me….It's past his work hours anyway…he will probably go home soon.

As I was walking through the already closed down businesses, I heard some noise in a nearby alley. I went towards it and hid behind a wall. "You think you're a smartass don't you?" I heard someone say. There was about 4 old looking guys beating one kid…..tsk…four against one? How pathetic…Just watching was making me agitated.

 


 

Sungyeol's Pov

I was dragged to an alley by those guys and beaten. I tried fighting back but it was just impossible. There was no way I was gonna win against four big guys. I was punched, kicked, thrown on the floor, picked up, thrown again, choked…I really didn't know if I was even gonna make it out alive. However, just when I thought my life was close to being over, someone came in out of nowhere and started beating those guys up. It was hard for me to see at first, since it was dark and my eyes were having a hard time focusing after so many punches.

"Who the hell are you?!" One of the drunk men asked the guy after he had thrown him on the floor. "Someone who's going to beat you to death." The guy told him as he placed his foot on the drunk guy's throat.

 I saw another one of the guy's sneak behind him to attack. I was about to alert him but he had already sensed it and turned around to punch the drunkard…..He is so cool….He looked close to my age but maybe a few years older. The guy didn't receive a single punch. His defense was flawless….almost as good as Myungsoo…dang…

One by one, the drunk men got up and ran away from the scene like cowards. The guy who helped me watched them go and then began to dust himself clean. "That was fun." He said as he cracked his neck. By then I had already regained strength to stand up. "Thanks man." I told him but he only looked at me with a cold expression….he saved me. "I'm Sungyeol." I smiled and expected him to do the same but nothing. Again, he only looked at me coldly and then left without another word. "Wait! What's your name?" I tried asking. "It's Batman." He yelled out and left without looking back even once….Batman?! Ha! He does have a sense of humor, Pshh "THANKS BATMAN! I yelled back then laughed to myself.

 


 

Myungsoo's Pov

I was still working on homework when I felt Sungyeol enter the apartment. "What happened to you?!" I asked concerned when I saw his wounded face. "Got beat up by some drunk men." He explained. "You're okay right?" I asked worried. "Yeah, just a few punches here and there. But you know, I was saved by batman. " Sungyeol commented. "What?! Did they hit your head too?" I tried to feel for a fever. "I'm serious. He said he was batman. He looked nothing like batman though, that rascal." He laughed to himself…"Sungyeol, I think you need some rest." I told him.

After thinking about what happened to Sungyeol all night, I couldn't help but to feel pissed off. I didn't ask too many questions that night, but now I was ready to hear who exactly dared to hit my best friend. I was up earlier than usual to prepare him breakfast since he is usually the one doing it for me.

"You're up" Sungyeol asked while yawning. "Waffles?" I asked while setting up the table. "Sounds perfect." he said still half asleep. He sat down on the table a couple of minutes later and complained about his bruised mouth. He got a pretty harsh beating. "So..who was it and why?" I demanded to know. "Just some drunk people at the cafe. Don't worry about it." He tried to calm me down. "I want to know what they look like. If they dare bother you again i'll kill them." I commented. "It's fine. They probably won't appear again. That guy gave them a pretty good scare."He said as he took a bite of his waffle.

"Which guy?" I asked.

"Batman." He said in the most obvious tone. I dropped my fork and stared at him seriously. "Should I take you to the doctor?"

"No, for real. That guy said he was Batman." Sungyeol tried to convince me.

"So he just popped out of nowhere and helped you beat those guys up? And you have no idea who he is." I asked trying to comprehend the situation. "Yup. He never told me his name." He explained.

"Weird." I shook my head.

"He was awesome, and if it wasn't for him, I would probably be dead by now." He admitted.

"Well this 'Batman' is not gonna be around all the time, so be careful. If anything, just call me." I told him honestly.

"Sure will." He smiled then stood up to take the plates away.