The Death Note

Chasing Rabbits

Ellie's Pov

"…w….w..what are you guys doing?" Sungyeol asked but neither of us knew what to reply. "I'll..be in the kitchen…whenever you're….ready." He said awkwardly and then quickly left.

"Are you okay?" I asked trying to read his expression but he was only staring at me. It didn't look like he was in more pain. "I don't know." He said. Listening to his voice up close, and even feeling the vibrations of his voice was making me feel extremely uncomfortable, not to mention the closeness between the two was close to zero.

"What's this?" He poked a small mole on the side of my face…..…Why is he examining my face this is making me feel strange.....Is he ever going to stand up?."Nevermind. He flicked my forehead and stood up." …..phew

"FOOD IS READY." Sungyeol alerted us. "Ramen…ramen…ramen." Myungsoo began chanting to the food, his mood completely changed upon seeing the plates on the table.

"Wow this is delicious Sungyeol." I told him the truth. That was the best ramen I've ever had. "Thanks." He seemed happy with my compliment. "His ramen skills are beyond this planet." Myungsoo explained. "Myungsoo loves my ramen doesn't he?" Sungyeol commented with a proud expression. "My ramen even made him cry once." He continued.

"He cried?" I asked curiously.

"Yup, it was so good, tears rolled down his face." Sungyeol bragged.

"Never happened." Myungsoo tried to deny it but I believed Sungyeol a hundred percent.

"If there is anyone that cries because of food, that's Myungsoo." His friend continued to disclose information. "If you want to make your way into his heart, you just have to feed him delicious food. He will love you forever. Like a cat."

"Sungyeol! Why are you telling her this?" He said.

"I'll make sure not to feed him. Ever." I shook my head.

"Who says I would eat your food!" He defended.

"Myungsoo, you would eat anything."

"Shut up Yeol!"

"I love you too man" His friend responded with a soft smile then turned to me.

"Don't worry, he isn't usually this…grumpy. Its probably because he's been starving all day." Sungyeol explained to me as if I needed to know.

"Done!" Myungsoo placed the bowl back on the table and ignored our conversation. "That was magical." He said as he leaned back on the floor with a smile on his face.

….it must be a magical ramen if it made his mood change this much….The taste was amazing though, I wouldn't be surprised if it did make miracles...

"It's still raining huh?' Sungyeol said as he went back to the kitchen to clean. "Looks like it is." Myungsoo said as he looked out the window. I tried to help Sungyeol on the kitchen but he wouldn't let me.

"Its okay I got it."

"No, I wanna help."

"You're a guest, it's okay."

"I'll wash the dishes."

"No No No"

While we were arguing over who would clean, Myungsoo had already made his way back to the kitchen to start soaping the dishes. "You two go away. I'll clean." He said firmly. "Thanks bro." Sungyeol smiled and signaled me to exit the kitchen.

I suddenly remembered I hadn't checked my phone ever since I told Nina I was going to stay late at the school library. I opened the home screen and saw 7 missed calls and 4 text messages. "Are you still at the Library?"…."Where are you?"…."It's raining very hard, your mom is worried."….."What are you doing? Call me back!"

It took me a few moments to decide what I was going to tell them so they won't freak out. "Sorry, I'm still at the library. I'll stay here until it stops raining. Tell mom I'm okay." I texted Nina. "It's getting late. Should I tell your dad to pick you up?" She replied right away. "No. I'll go home on my own. I'll be fine stop worrying!" "Okay. Be careful then." "I will :)"
"You better be almost done with that gangster story!"

I choked a little when I read her last message because Myungsoo was just coming over to say something. I immediately put my phone down suspiciously.

"Tsk why do you look suspicious….Anyway, are you okay staying here for now? It's dangerous to go out in this storm. Even for taxis."

"I'm okay here..uh if that's okay with you." I said shyly before Sungyeol joined us.

"Of course its okay! We are happy to have you here." Yeol smiled.

"Right, Myungsoo?" He elbowed him to smile. It was a bit forced but cute….did I say cute?

"So Ellie. Do you like anime?" Sungyeol asked. "Of course!" I answered cheerfully.

"Wanna watch something?"

"YES!" I was getting too excited.

"I pick." Myungsoo said quickly and went over to his secret book shelf, took out a dvd box and walked back with a smirk.

"Death Note. Of course." Sungyeol rolled his eyes…..yes! I been wanting to watch it again. Myungsoo the TV and inserted the DVD. Then he went to pick up some pillows and small blankets and aggressively threw one to each of us. Then he turned off the lights and went to get something from the kitchen.

"Im so excited!" I exclaimed when the anime was about to start. "I've seen this about 100 times. But its still good." Sungyeol told me. "HURRY UP MYUNGSOO! It started already." He yelled at his friend who was still in the kitchen. A few seconds later I felt him place something heavy on top of my head. "Huh? What is this?" I picked it up and it was a banana. Myungsoo showed up holding his L plush toy. "Wheres mine?" Sungyeol complained, talking about the banana. "There was only two left. Sorry." Myungsoo told him as he sat down and took the banana peel off of the one he was holding.

"Give me some." Yeol tried to take the banana but Myungsoo avoided him. "Yah! Who made you ramen. Give it!" …"No…Get away." Myungsoo laid down and put his feet up to avoid him. "You ungrateful brat. Give me half!"  He fought Myungsoo until he was able to take a part of the last banana…..they must really like bananas….

 



Sungyeol's Pov

I opened my eyes after falling asleep on the couch. My neck was hurting from the position I slept in…ahh…My arm was hurting. I checked my phone and it was 10 in the morning….."!" I screamed. "IM LATE FOR WORK" Then my eyes widened when I noticed Myungsoo and Ellie also sleeping on the couch…They fell asleep…don't they have class….and Ellie never went home. By the time I figured all this out, Ellie and Myungsoo were already starting to wake up. Ellie opened her eyes slowly then jumped from the couch in shock.

"OMO! What time…..OMG!" She looked like she was about to have a heart attack when she checked her phone for the time. "I have to go!" She got up and didn't even bother to fix her hair or anything. "Umm Ellie wait!" I told her when she was trying to find her shoes. "You aren't gonna go out like that are you?" I asked. "Huh?" She looked confused. I think she wasn't fully awake yet. "You are still wearing Myungsoo's clothes." "Good point." She said and ran to or bathroom to find her own.

Meanwhile, Myungsoo had gone back to sleep….aish this kid…"YAH! WAKE UP YO!" "I'll just skip class today." He yawned. "NO YOU'RE NOT!" I hit him with a pillow until he got up. Soon, we were all ready to leave the house. All of us late to where we had to be. Just before I was ready to leave, Ellie made sure to thank me for the hospitality. "Thanks for letting me stay Sungyeol. I had fun, and your ramen is delicious! the best one in the city." She smiled. "No problem at all, It was nice meeting you. You'll come visit again right? You're welcome here anytime. I'll make you ramen again." I told her. "Will do." She said before we waved goodbye. She stayed with Myungsoo since they were going to the same place.

…..She seems like a nice girl…and Myungsoo seemed very comfortable around her. I've never seen him act so careless around a girl before. He almost treats her the same way she treats me…hehe I have a good feeling about those two.

 


 

Ellie's Pov

Before I left the house I called my house right away because I knew they were worried. I was going to be in so much trouble when I got home….I can't believe I fell asleep like that…what am I going to tell my parents?…."Hello?" My mom was the one to answer the phone. "Mom."

"ELLIE! Thank goodness where are you?" "Sorry mom, I'm okay. I was at the library and fell asleep. I guess no one saw me when they closed down for the night." "Don't ever do that again! Your father was about to call the police. We been worried sick." My mother said which is understandable. I felt bad for lying to them, but there was nothing else I could say. Hey mom sorry, I feel asleep with two boys in their apartment….yeah…I wonder how they would have reacted to that. I told my mom to tell Nina to bring clean clothes to school for me. I was going straight to my second class since I had already missed the early morning one. Next, I was walking with Myungsoo to school.

 "So how's your foot?" I asked. "Its better. Almost can't feel it at all." He walked a little faster to show me. "See?" He even skipped a little. "I don't think you should be doing that kind of stuff yet." I was skeptical about him really feeling that well. He stopped walking to allow me to catch up. He seemed to be in a good mood today, despite the rough morning. When I caught up with him, he stayed behind to let me walk in front of him. He kept staring at me with a smirk on his face…."What." I knew something was up. 

"Your hair looks…amazing" He laughed. "huh?" I was confused. "hahahahahaha" He was cracking up so much he had to hold his stomach….."It looks like a bombarded bird's nest. hahahah."……

"thanks." I said with a straight face…..I've never seen him laugh this much…..

"You're welcome HAHAHAHAHA." ……"yah…" He was laughing way too much, almost to the point of tears…

..Is my hair THAT funny to him?….I started trying to fix it so he would stop but he kept laughing nonstop…"No, don't fix it…it's great." He said…."Yeah…sure.." I rolled my eyes. "Hey, watch out!" I tried to warn him of a lamp post in front of him but I was a bit to late. I guess he was laughing so much he didn't see where he was going.

"Owww." He rubbed his forehead as he had completely ran into the pole.

"HAHAHA" I just had to laugh at his fail. He ignored me and started yelling at the pole. "Yah! Are you an idiot, you stupid pole! Can't you see where you're walking?" He kicked it with is good leg. "Its because of poles like you that people can't walk comfortably on the street!"

"Umm Myungsoo…" I tried to call him but he was too busy talking to the lamp post in plain view. I even had to look around to see if people were watching.  "Myungsoo….you're talking to a pole." I informed him. He then cleared his throat and continued walking as if nothing. His expression turned cold like he was trying to play cool. I couldn't hold my laugh any longer. "hahahahaha" I looked at him and laughed.

"You are the clumsiest gangster ever. I just don't think this the right field for you, honestly." I joked.

"Don't underestimate me." He gave me a cool smirk then turned serious again. "We're here." He said when we were standing at the entrance of the University. "Listen, Ellie. No matter what anyone asks you, I did not just ran into a pole. Is that clear?" He said as he placed his hands in his pockets just like one of those cool kids would. "Clear as mud." I said. "Okay." He keep walking but then realized what I just said. "Wait…as mud?" He furrowed his eyebrows at the realization. I giggled at his slow reaction, a few seconds later he smiled too. "Well then, see you later." I said bye first because I had to go meet Nina at the library.

…..last night felt very unreal…It feels like a lot of things happened. Spending so many hours with Myungsoo, and then meeting Sungyeol was an interesting occurrence. To be honest I was a bit sad that it ended. In the back of my mind, I wanted to repeat it again….sigh…I thought to myself as I entered the school library.

"Ellie!" Nina ran to me with a bag in her hand. She hugged me and asked if I was okay. I nervously tried to console her but lying about how I actually spent the night didn't feel good. After about 30 minutes of her scolding me about not doing that again, which is somewhat understandable, she decided to change the topic.

Nina told me about how she had to make a team project for one of her classes and how she had to go around with her teammates to different places to fill up surveys and such. "That seems like it involves talking to people." I told her. "Yeah, but it's fun!" She was truly excited. Actually, Nina isn't a social butterfly herself, she is a nice and outgoing girl, however, she can be a bit shy sometimes. But once she gets to know people then she can be very fun and loud. Me on the other hand, I have no interest in most people. I don't consider myself shy though. I just don't like getting acquainted with people.

I went to bathroom to change into new clothes, I told Nina to fix my hair too since it truly was a mess. She said she wanted to accompany me to class since hers was cancelled for the day. "So how do you like your communications class?" She asked. "It's fine. I have to give a speech soon. I have no idea what I wanna talk about." I told her. "It can be any topic?"…"Yup. It's an informative speech." …"Hmm I don't know. Oh by the way, here's some free meal coupons one of my teammates gave me. I had extra." She said as we sat down on a small coffee table right outside the classroom. We still had a few minutes until class started. "Free stuff…nice! Thanks" I smiled.

"Your building is nice. You get all the cool people here. You don't see a lot this in the science building." She said

"It seems like this is pretty general building. For business and other education majors." I explained.

"Yeah, you get lots of variety."

"Omo…" She seemed surprised when she saw someone behind me. "huh?" I looked at her confused. "There's a new guy a lot of people keep talking about. He is super popular among other departments. Woahh I heard he was cute but I didn't imagine he was THAT cute. I mean I saw a picture before but wow…" She blushed and tried to hide her face behind a book.

"Who?" I turned around to see who she was talking about…."Where?" I asked. "That one with the black hair, talking to those girls. He is so cool!" She said. My eyes landed on someone familiar…very…familiar…..Myungsoo?….."Oh! And I also heard he got in a fight with Sunggyu. He is another guy who is super popular." ……Are they really that popular that the whole campus knows who they are?….."Sigh…If only we could get those guys to pay attention to us." Nina said. "Why don't you go talk to him." I said casually.

"What? No way! He is totally out of my league. We are lucky if he even looks at us."….She is still talking about Myungsoo right?….I should have said something by now but I just didn't have the courage to tell my best friend that I spent the last 18 hours of my life with that guy. That would require a lot of explaining to do.

"Wait, Is he in your class?" She said when she noticed him hanging out by my classroom. "Yeah." I let out an unintentional sigh. "LUCKY!" She exclaimed. "How is he in class, does he talk a lot? Is he smart?" She was asking all kinds of questions I felt uncomfortable answering. "He's quiet…but he always has a lot of girls hanging out around him." I told the truth on how he acts in the classroom. "I can imagine, I mean look at him. He is so cool and dreamy." I rolled my eyes upon hearing that…… He talks to lamp posts….."Look there's Sunggyu....wait is he in your class too?" She asked and I nodded. "Dang, you get all the cool kids in your class. Sunggyu is kind of scary though, I heard stories about him. You should avoid him at all costs." …."Really? Why?" I was curious. "He can really make your life a misery, if you get on his bad side, or that's what the rumors say at least." She shrugged.

"I think he wears a horrible hairstyle." I told her. "Shhh!!! What if they hear you?" Nina signaled me to lower down my volume….oh he knows….."Tell me honestly, do you like it?" I asked…."The red hair? I think its fine." …"Its hideous." …."Ellie! Shhh!! Please keep that stuff to yourself. What if he finds out. He may bully you! You have to keep a low profile remember. Just be nice to people and try to stay away from those popular kids for now. Just make regular friends."….."Will do." I assured her. "Alright, I'm gonna go so you can go to class, it seems people are going in already. See you later!" She waved goodbye and left. I saw Myungsoo, the girls and Sunggyu get inside first. I was on my way there but someone stopped me…..oh uh..It was that guy I had to distract to get through the door the day of the fight.

He was crossing his arms and tapping his foot. His expression did not show happiness. "Let's go sit over there." He pointed back at the coffee tables I was just sitting at with Nina. We still had about 10 mins left for class so it was fine. I was getting nervous to hear what he was going to say.

"You! Brat! You what's your name again?" …."…Ellie?"  "Ellie! How DARE..you…" …."wait…" I interrupted so he stopped. "You…didn't…tell me your name?" I was afraid the interruption would make him angrier. "Its Woohyun Woohyun, shouldn't you know this handsome face already? Anyway, do you know the embarrassment I went through when I got to the science building and asked where the rainbow light beam was at? They looked at me like I was crazy! Aish!" He ran his hands through his hair in frustration…."Uh…I…I'm sorry."

"Why did you do it? Were you interested in the fight? You do realize who Sunggyu is right?" He kept asking questions I couldn't answer. "Are you acquainted with that Myungsoo?" ….oh no…this could lead to trouble….

"No, I just…I really needed to get in the classroom, I lost something there and I had to get it back."…"Is it? You know what will happen if I tell this to Sunggyu?"….So he hasn't told him?….."Did you..say anything?" I carefully asked. "No. I mean I could, but he would just make fun of me for the rest of my life. I told him I had to go to the bathroom and that's when you entered."….thank goodness…I let out a sigh of relief…I like this guy, whatever his motives are he didn't tell Sunggyu and that's good. "…..Sorry…" I lowered my head and pulled out the coupons Nina had given me earlier, I slid them on the table and placed them in front of him. "What's this?" He asked.

"An apology gift?" I was hoping my idea would work. He took them and began reading them. "Free meal?" .."Yup, anywhere you want on campus." …"YAS!" He raised his fist in celebration. "Wait.." He directed his gaze back at me. "Is this bribery?" He dropped his mouth a little bit….yes…."No…no its just…uh…" "Cause its totally working haha thanks~" He said before running back to the classroom. I ran after him because It was about to start.

….that wasn't too scary…Why are guys so simple?….I scratched my head and began to pay attention to the class.

After class was over I glanced at Myungsoo but he was busy talking to some classmates, so I went to the library to work on some homework. When I got there, I found a nice table, away from where most people were. A few minutes later, I felt someone slam their bag on the table. It was Sunggyu.

"Hey." He smiled and sat across from me….his friendliness makes me nervous. He is obviously faking. "Hi." I said emotionless. "What are you working on?" he asked. "My speech for our communications class." I told him. "Ah yes, I was gonna ask. I need your help." He said not giving me a chance to nicely refuse. He continued, "You said you were a writer right? So, this stuff must come easy to you. Can you write my speech for me?"

"Umm I…" "Perfect! I want it on power disputes among large corporations."…."Sunggyu, I don't think I'll have enough…." "You won't do it?" His voice was starting to scare me….URGH! Who does he think he is to ask me for this….I wanted to refuse and tell him some truths but then I realized that it would make matters worse for me….Why is this happening?….I didn't agree or refuse, however my silence meant a yes for him. "Give me your phone." He extended his hand. I slowly placed it in his hand. He typed his own number and called his own phone. "I'll call you then. Bye." He waved and left…..Argh!! What do I do now?

A few moments later, I walked away from the library, looking for some place on campus to rest. I began to think….If that Sunggyu guy is as dangerous as people say he is then I'm screwed. If I write his speech for him, he is only going to keep doing it and take advantage of me. Ahhh I'm such an idiot! Why would I get on his bad side…I shouldn't have told him I didn't like his hair. I'm done for. What am I supposed to do now, should I tell Nina? No…she would tell my parents and then my parents will talk to the school and then they would take me out of this school. I didn't want that to happen.

 


 

Myungsoo's Pov

….where is that girl?….I tried looking for her after class but she moves around campus as quick as a rabbit. Its really impossible to talk to her in class since she sits on the opposite corner of the room. And before and after class I'm always surrounded by classmates. I could excuse myself and go to her but I figured the attention would make her uncomfortable. I know how vicious some of those girls can be.

I was approaching that place from last time, where her Lion King rock is at, when I saw her….There she is!….She was kneeling down in front of a bush. "Hey! I was…" "Shhh" She told me to be quiet. "huh? What is it?" I whispered. She pointed towards the plant. "Rabbit." She said as she slowly and quietly tried to take out her phone to take a picture of it while I remained quiet. "Aishh it left." She stopped whispering and leaned back on the grass…."S..sorry." I felt like it was my fault. "I'll get him next time." She told me.

"I been looking for you." I told her honestly. "Really? Why?" She naturally asked what I hadn't thought about. Why WAS I looking for her for. I didn't even think of it once. Maybe I just wanted to see her. In that moment I felt like I needed an excuse. "Uh I'm just curious….what are you writing your communications speech on?"

 

Ellie's Pov

"I don't know yet." I told him….Its harder for me now that I have to write two speeches thanks to that Sunggyu. As if he had timed it purposely, my phone started to ring. I looked at the unsaved number and I knew right away it was Sunggyu….what does he want now, it hasn't even been an hour since he last talked to me. "Aren't you gonna answer?" Myungsoo asked while I only stared at my phone…..Sunggyu and Myungsoo apparently hate each other…I was thinking too much about everything at that moment. When the phone stopped ringing I looked at Myungsoo again and told him. "I should probably go home." I gave him a friendly smile. "Right, you haven't gone home since yesterday." He added. "Well, see you then." I waved and began to walk away. "Byeee" Myungsoo waved casually.

"Oh…by the way…" I turned back around to say something I didn't really want to. "hmm?" He waited to hear what I was going to say…"Let's keep everything that happened yesterday a secret. Its just…inconvenient…having to explain to people you know." I didn't say everything I wanted to say. "Oh…right." He thought about what I said.

"And in the classroom, lets just be the same way we were today."

"Like strangers?" He asked.

"….Yeah." I awkwardly looked to the side. Its best if its this way…I don't want him to have problems with Sunggyu and then me getting involved just doesn't seem like a good idea.

"It's …okay right?" Saying this felt harder than I thought it would be.

"It's cool. We'll just be friends outside of the classroom." He smiled.

….He still wants to be….friends?….Are we friends?….

I only nodded and smiled before we each parted our own ways to go home.

 

Myungsoo's Pov

It was for the best. I also didn't want her dealing with people because of me. It would have been harder for me to request that, she would have just thought it was because I felt ashamed of being friends with her, since she isn't one of the 'popular' girls. In reality I didn't care about that. I was really hoping she wouldn't misunderstand my intentions.

 


 

Ellie's Pov

While I was walking home, my phone rang again. After some hesitation I finally answered.
"Hello?"
"Hi." It was Sunggyu.
"Hi." I said dryly.
"What are you doing?" He asked….what the hell does he want?
"Walking home."
"Sounds fun." He said, probably being sarcastic.
"I want to see how my speech is coming along. You began writing it right?"
…of course not….
"I'm just…starting it…"
"Ah! Well maybe I can help. Come over." He said and I scoffed.
"Excuse me?" I probably shouldn't have said that.
"huh?
"YOU are helping ME, write YOUR own speech?" I spoke without really thinking, I just couldn't believe how cynical he was.
"Haha, I'm sorry, did I surprise you with my kindness?" He continued.
"No." I said grumpily.
"I'll see you in a minute then." He ignored the previous statement and hang up the phone."Huh? Hello?" ….what does he mean by see you in a min…

"Hi!" A boy suddenly jumped from behind me and placed his arm around my shoulders. He acted causally as if he was my best friend. "Woohyun?" I said trying to get away from his arm. "I been instructed to take you somewhere. Sorry." He said causing my heart to start beating quickly….I'm in trouble now…oh no...