Catching up.

FANTASTIC REALITIES a sequel to fantastic fantasies.

I rolled over stretching my legs and arms trying to fight off the last bits of sleep. I moved my leg and bumped into something warm beside me. An arm s around my waste pulling me closer snuggling into me.

“Mmmm, don’t go yet.” Mark mumbled tiredly. His head was buried in my neck as he held me tightly.

“Mian…I’ve got to get to work.” I said caressing his arm gently. He gave me a peck on my shoulder before releasing me sliding from the bed.

“Arrasso, I’ll make you breakfast while you get ready.” He said grinning cutely as he slipped into a shirt.

“Thanks, I want pancakes.” I said standing on my tip toes to kiss his cheek. He nodded and scuffled downstairs rubbing his eyes groggily. I moved into his bathroom slipping from my pajamas and sliding into the shower. The hot water filled the bathroom with steam. i finished the shower and slipped into my work uniform that I had brought over with me last night. it was a simple pair of black slacks, a white blouse tucked into the waist of my pants and a black barista vest. I worked at the coffee shop down the road, so when I had an early shift like today I just slept over at mark’s place.

I could smell the scents of breakfast wafting upstairs as I came out of the bathroom. I grinned thinking of how good mark was to me, 6 months of dating and the sweet things he did never lessened, I had expected them too but he was always so nice…overly so sometimes I thought. We had been dating six months and we’ve yet to do anything other than kiss, yes I stayed over at his house a lot, you would think something would have happened by now, me in the same bed as him at night in the dark…nope we make out then cuddle and go to sleep. At first I had thought it was him being respectful of me…I’m a and he isn’t so I guess it was him wanting to be gentle in case I wasn’t ready. That isn’t the case anymore, I’ve tried on many occasions to…incite something but he just brushes it off.

I shook the thoughts from my head focusing on just how sweet of a boyfriend he was aside from that. It was just hard because those thoughts kept popping into my head increasingly lately.

“Breakfast!” mark called up the stairs. I hopped off the chest at the bottom of his bed where I had been sitting and hurried out of the room down the stairs.

“Mmmm, it smells delicious.” I said sliding onto the stool by the counter. He piled the plate with some food pushing it in front of me. “Thank you.” I said and dug in. I noticed he had changed from his pajamas into some jeans and a shirt.  “Are you not going to have breakfast with me?” I asked confused as he left the kitchen into the living room putting on some shoes.

“Anni, I have to go somewhere…mian.” He said coming back over giving me a light kiss. “I’ll pick you up from work though and we can go out for dinner and a movie or something.” He said moving to the door.  “I love you.” he called slipping into his jacket.

“Love you too.” I mumbled watching him leave. Sighing I turned back to my food eating it less enthusiastically now. Mark did that often as well…disappeared without telling me where he was going. It wasn’t that I didn’t trust him, I did. I never asked or snuck around trying to figure it out. it hurt me only because I felt like HE didn’t trust ME. I finished my food tucking the dishes into the dishwasher before slipping into my shoes and jacket and headed off for work.

It was cold out, the warm weather was turning to winter, but the sun was bright and it heated my face as I walked. There hadn’t been snow yet which was a little disappointing, mine and mark’s 6 month was coming up soon so I hoped it would keep holding off until then. Having the first snow on our anniversary would be magical.

“Noona!” I stopped day dreaming and looked over my shoulder to see bambam hurrying down the road towards me. He was wearing clothes similar to mine. “Hey you work today?” he asked as he finally caught up to me.

“Nae, you too?” he nodded happily. I, bambam, and yugyeom all worked at the same place. They were saving up for their first semester in college and I was saving up for an apartment closer to school. My parents bless them moved father out of town making my commute to see the guys or get to school almost an hour drive. “Does yugyeom work?” bambam shrugged. They guys were having trouble seeing each other lately with everyone trying to prepare for school but it would settle down soon when college started and we all had set schedules again.

“I guess we’ll see when we get there.” he said wrapping his arm around my shoulder. I let it be because it was cold and it helped with our warmth. “What are you and mark doing for your 6 month?” he asked curiously. I sighed resting my head on his shoulder.

“I don’t know! He hasn’t even spoken to me about it…I’m wondering if he forgot.” I said pouting. “He’s been really strange lately…kind of secretive.” Bambam was silent making me look up at him. he was looking down at me curiously. “I promise I’m not breaking up with him calm down. He’s his own man; he can do what he wants.” I said shrugging. Bambam seemed to relax at that thought. They were always worried we were going to break up when we got into fights but it never happened. I loved him with all my heart even though I don’t think I’ve ever said it to his face. I only ever mumble it while he’s on his way out. I find myself racked with nerves every time I try to say it, and feel like I’m going to hyperventilate.  

“I think he’s probably going to have something awesome planned, marks that kind of person.” bambam said sincerely making me feel better about it.

“That would be cool.” We reached the coffee shop and hurried in to the warmth that it offered.

“We’re here!” we called in unison as we slipped from our jackets and hats hanging them on the coat rack in the back.

“Oh good, bambam-ah start filling the coffee machines and getting ready to open yea? Kairen you can start filling the canisters and packets on the table and setting up the floor.” Our manager Kim said shooing us to work. We slid out badges in the machine marking our entrance time before we started off doing our perspective jobs. I moved swiftly around the table’s pouring sugar into the canisters making sure they were filled, and the placing different creamer and sugar packets in the little containers that held them making sure there were plenty, then last I placed the instant coffee packets into a cup on each table before moving off to straighten up and pull out the pastries.

“We’re opening!” I called back to the manager as I moved to flip the sign from closed to open. I turned walking away as the door jingled and our first customer walking in. I whipped around giving them my award winning smile. “Annyeong! Welcome!” I said giving a bow. The customer was a guy maybe my age if not only a year or so older. He was about mark’s height and had dark brown hair styled short on the sides and a little longer on the top making it swoop over his forehead. He seemed a little star struck by my out burst of energy and gave me a little nervous bow like he wasn’t quite sure what to do in this situation

“Hello…” he said softly. I smiled and gestured for him to come in.

“Take a seat anywhere, we aren’t crowded.” I said making a joke. He laughed nervously and moved to a table by a window. I grabbed my order pad off the counter before hurrying back over to the boy.

“What can I get for you?” I asked chirpily. I loved this job because it gave me a chance to talk to people and I loved talking to people.

“Ummm…I’m…not sure.” He said slipping slowly from his jacket. He seemed a little nervous. Was he new around here?

“Well I’ll help you out, what do you like to drink?” I asked curiously.

“Oh…I’m not picky…I like warm drinks verses cold ones.” He said finally deciding on something. I tapped the pen against my chin thinking.

“OK, well we’ve got three different flavors of hot chocolate, cinnamon, regular, and s’mores.” I said ticking them off. He scrunched his face up shaking his head. I giggled nodding. “Nae, too sweet for my taste as well. You know I really like the pumpkin spice cappuccino. It’s our special for the holiday, I drink it every day.” I said thinking he might enjoy it.

“That sounds fine.” he said nodding. I grinned writing it down on the pad.

“Did you want a pasty with it or anything?” I asked kindly.

“Ummm…what do you usually eat with it?” he asked curiously.

“Oh, I like the apple fritters, they are delicious with it. People would think that drinking pumpkin with an apple pasty would be gross but it’s surprisingly good.” I said rambling. I found when I rambled to uncomfortable customers they tended to lighten up a little and enjoy their time better.

“Ok…that sounds good.” He said nodding. I took his order and assured him I’d be right back with his stuff. Bambam had heard me taking the order and had already started preparing it. I and he made a good team like that. In the end the guy only had to wait for me to walk there and back. “Wow…that was fast.” He said giving a little laugh. It worked he was loosening up!

“Nae, I and bambam are Daebak!” I said giving a thumb up making him grin a little.

“What’s your name?” he asked curiously. I pull my nametag out a little on my shirt showing him. “Oh…kairen?” I nodded. “Nice to meet you kairen, I’m T.K.” he said offering me his hand. I shook it eagerly.

“Nice to meet you too!” the door jingled just then showing I had a customer. “Oh Annyeong!” I called giving them a bow. “Mian, let me know if you need anything else.” I said giving him a small bow and hurried to attend to the other customers.