The Black Leather Couch

Symptoms

The warm air that marked the beginning of summer in Korea was usually very relaxing. However, this humid, pollen filled atmosphere was exactly the opposite. I had to take the bus back to my dorm today because Shinee had rehearsal for their next Seoul concert that was coming up. When I had just met them, they would offer me rides home because usually we were all at the same building anyway and it just kind of became routine, whether we were together or not. Walking from the bus to the next bus stop seemed to be an impossible task with the pollen and yellow dust colliding with my eyes and nose as well as working up a sweat because of the humidity. I was coming back from a day of voice training and school and all I wanted to do was get home, kick on the air conditioning and get into clothes that weren’t form fitting and drenched in sweat. The sky was a hazy purple-orange color signifying the end of the day and the transition into evening time. As I took a window seat on the surprisingly empty bus, my thoughts started to wander back to sitting in my cool dorm with the curtains open so I could look over the city of Seoul, my favorite view, getting out of my stupid school uniform and into a white wife-beater and basketball shor- "crap!" I muttered as I realized all my shorts were either dirty or at Shinee's dorm. A few days ago I took them over there to wash because my washing machine was broken and I guess I left them there when we spontaneously decided to go get something to eat. But my bus goes right past their building so I thought I'd stop and pick up my clothes on my way home. No one would be there anyway so I figured I’d just get in, get my stuff and get out. I punched in the code for their dorm and practically flew into the entrance-way after feeling the cool air waft towards me.

"Oh! Taemin still owes me food!" I remembered back to the night when I was at Shinee's dorm and we were having a movie night and ordered food. I had gotten up to go to the bathroom and came back to find Taemin scarfing down my dumplings, the greedy bastard. After justifying myself, I opened up their fridge and spotted a bowl of leftovers and thought it would only be fair to eat it. I kicked off my shoes and downed the leftover macaroni as I made my way to Key's room to retrieve my shorts. The sight of the comfortable baggy shorts overwhelmed my senses and suddenly I just couldn’t stand another minute in the tight restrictive dress shirt and miniskirt I was currently wearing. After putting down my bowl of macaroni, I slipped (maybe more like kicked and flailed) out of my uniform and changed into my favorite black basketball shorts with the red stripes down the sides and pulled out a tank top from Key's dresser and put it on. He wouldn’t mind. While washing the remains of the macaroni out of the bowl, I heard the familiar chime coming from my phone, alerting me of a text. In one quick slide on the slippery wood floor, I grabbed my phone and plopped down on the couch to check my message, fully intending to just check it, get up, and leave. It was from my sister back in the states. I giggled at the picture of my cat curled up on my couch back home. It had been a long day and my cat looked so comfortable and warm. I felt a wall of fatigue hit me and partially lost control of my thoughts, focusing on how comfortable the black leather couch beneath me suddenly was. Already almost completely unconscious, I flicked my feet up and laid my head down on the off-white throw pillow that always graced this couch. And just like that, completely forgetting this indeed was not my dorm, I drifted into unconsciousness.