Surprise

Symptoms

It was a Friday afternoon and I was at home in my pajamas, surfing the internet and waiting for Jonghyun and Jinki to get here. Shinee had an interview that morning and the other 3 members had another schedule to attend to so Jonghyun, Jinki, and I decided to hang out at my place. I was going to make them help me clean my dorm and then reward them with dinner and movies. Currently, my dorm was air conditioning-less so all I had to keep it somewhat cool were 5 strategically placed fans throughout. I had on a white tank top and gray pajama shorts that just barely covered my . It was way too hot for basketball shorts, which I definitely preferred over short shorts. But it was just going to me be and the boys and they didn’t care. They got here around 4:30, still fully made up from the previous interview. Their eyes were lined with a smoky eyeliner which by the way was probably one of the biggest turn-ons for me. Jinki had on a white tee with dark wash jeans and a leather jacket that he had now flung onto my floor. Jonghyun was rocking a black button up long sleeve and those tight white jeans that drove me crazy. They both invited themselves to sprawl out on my couch and kick their shoes off in 5,000 different directions.

“Sorry boys but it’s not rest time yet. We got work to do!” I kicked their legs off the couch and handed Jinki a vacuum and Jonghyun a rag and some Windex. I switched on my ipod, put my “work hard play hard” playlist on shuffle and got to work on the kitchen counters. For hours we cleaned while dancing like maniacs and singing along to every song. It was one thing when I did this with my old friends back home but doing it with professional performers was a whole different story. And a hell of a lot more fun. It took a good 4 hours to finish the dorm. We were all exhausted by the end, all of us lying on the couch, limbs intertwined with one another. We would’ve fallen asleep like that if it weren’t for the doorbell indicating our takeout was here. I jumped up and ran to the door, I think possibly kicking Jinki in the face while doing so. My arms were full of plastic bags from our favorite dumpling place.

“Yo what movie are we watching?” Jinki shouted from the kitchen.

“I don’t know. What do you guys want to watch?” I was partially thinking about movies but mostly focusing on getting the lid off my sauce container without spilling everything. Jonghyun must’ve seen me struggling like an idiot because he reached over with a smile and laughed, taking the sauce and easily popping off the lid. “What the ? How did you?” I really need to work out my arms more. He just laughed and got back to eating his own dumplings.

“Ooh!” Jonghyun shouted, making me and Jinki jump a little. “Let’s watch Machete! I haven’t seen it yet!” He was really into action movies, as was I. Plus Michelle Rodriguez is my favorite actress!

“Ohh good choice! I could definitely go for seeing my wife kick some .” I smiled and flipped over to Netflix. Jinki came and sat on the couch behind me right as the movie started, putting his feet up on my shoulders. “Oh hell no.” I swatted his feet away and elbowed him in the calf.

“Play nice guys.” Jonghyun said in his sarcastic tone. He seemed very invested in the movie as he basically missed his entire giant mouth with every bite of food. An hour and a half later, the movie was over halfway through when Jinki kicked me in the head as he suddenly screamed and jumped up.

“Dude what the hell??” I looked back, rubbing my head and saw the idiot pulling his shirt from his chest. It was completely soaked with sauce. “Oh my god you’re so stupid.” Jonghyun and I laughed and I got up to get him a napkin. Obviously a napkin wasn’t going to be enough. The entire front of his shirt was stained a brown/red color.

“God damnit. This shirt is new! I’m gonna put this in the wash okay?” He didn’t wait for us to respond as he stomped out of the dorm and made his way down to the laundry room. It was all the way across the building and at his pace, he wouldn’t be back for like 10 minutes.

“Well, I don’t know about you but I don’t think he would mind if we kept watching the movie!” Jonghyun smiled and waited for my nod of approval before he started the movie again. My was getting sore from the hard floor, so I climbed up onto the couch next to Jonghyun, crossing my legs. 

As we kept watching for a few minutes, I couldn't shake the feeling that he was looking at me. From my peripheral, I couldn't tell. It was just that energy you feel when someone's attention is on you. When I looked over at him, I found that my suspicions were correct. 

His gaze was soft, lips slightly upturned. 

"What?" I asked anxiously, "Is there something on my face?" I reached up to wipe any food that might've stuck to my chin or mouth but found nothing. Jonghyun smiled and chuckled quietly.

"Do you know how beautiful you are?" His question knocked the wind out of my gut. Never had I heard him compliment me in such a tone. Such a serious tone, not laced with friendliness but admiration and sincerity. 

My eyebrows rose. Fully shook to my core, all I could mutter was, "Huh?" His eyes searched my face, lingering at my lips. His torso shifted forward slowly, eyes locked with mine until his face was inches from mine.

Jonghyun hesitated for a moment before saying, "Can I kiss you?" Part of me wanted to scream due to my confusion, not having seen this coming in a million years. But it was Jonghyun, and while shocked, no part of me could ever be uncomfortable with him. My first instinct was to nod, yes. And when I did so my mind went blank as I watched his lips until they were on mine. It was slow. It felt like the very essence of the word, romantic. Jonghyun was a romantic guy. It just oozed from him naturally, and this kiss was no different. I didnt know how long we stayed like that, lips innocently touching lips. The transition to passion was seamless, never becoming anything but soft or slow. Only a small slip of his tongue against my bottom lip and his hand that draped lightly over my hip spread a tingle throughout my body, reaching each finger and toe. But before I could reciprocate, the kiss was cut short by the sound of the front door opening. We both flinched in surprise, breaking any physical connection. We scrambled to sit back in our original positions before Jinki got to the living room and plopped down on the couch, not seeming to notice our fear stricken faces. Had it really already been 10 minutes?

“Awww you guys finished the movie without me?” I looked at the screen and saw the credits rolling. I cautiously looked over at Jonghyun. I could tell his adrenaline was pumping as much as mine due to almost getting caught. His face was still in a stunned expression and he looked a little pale. He reached up to run his fingers through his hair. I had picked up over the years that he does this when he’s nervous. As much as I wanted to kick Jinki out and jump on top of Jonghyun to finish what we started, I had to break the tension and move on.

“Anybody want ice cream??” I got up and tried to put on a convincing smile. They both looked at me. Jonghyun seemed slightly confused but caught on quickly.

“Oh! Uh yeah sounds good! I’ll help you with that.” He got up and rewinded the movie for Jinki before following me into the kitchen.

I went to the freezer to retrieve the ice cream, Jonghyun reaching for some spoons off the drying rack. As I stripped the plastic off of the containers, we made eye contact. I was relieved to see I wasnt the only one embarrassed as his cheeks turned light pink.

"Jonghyun, I-" 

"Its okay, we should probably talk about this later." He smiled lightly at me, and I returned it. "Right now we should get that man some ice cream. I think he’s still pissed we finished the movie without him.” We went back into the living room to actually watch the end of the movie.

“Yesss!” Jinki’s face lit up when he spotted the ice cream and we all giggled and sat down. This time we were all on the couch, limbs intertwined with one another. My head rested on Jinki’s stomach and my legs were overlapping Jonghyun’s. It didn’t take long before all of us were completely unconscious and the credits on the screen phased out, leaving the room completely dark.