Chapter Three

Old Friends Bring New Problems
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Friday, September 23rd

"You finished our French homework?" Minhyun asked Ren as he leaned against the locker next to his. Ren gave him an are-you-serious?-look before turning back to his locker.

"Right, you do nothing else." Minhyun chuckled while they walked to their class.

"School, my family and Jessica. Those are my only priorities." Ren smirked at him.

"What about me and the boys?" Minhyun pouted.

"Yeah... When you guys look like Jess, I might think of you too." Ren joked as they walked into the classroom, hitting the back of Jonghyun's head because he fell asleep. Jonghyun jerked up and saw Ren and Minhyun take their seats before he laid his head back on his desk.

"Yeah, okay, ew. But, can I copy French? I fell asleep while making it last night." Minhyun practically begged.

"You mean; you fell asleep after doing your tutor last night." Ren said while grabbing his book for class.

"I did her in the shower actually, but that's not the point here." Ren raised an eyebrow at him.

"Please?" Minhyun got on his knees.

"Please? Please? Please? Please?" Minhyun kept begging. Classmates walking in started laughing at him and Ren also had little trouble holding back.

"Fine, but only this time. Next time you're screwed." Ren threw his Notebook for French at him.

"Yes!" He yelled and got back to his seat. Ren rolled his eyes and opened his notebook for math to do some last minute check. In the corner of his eye he noticed Jessica walking by the door to get to class. He saw her bump into Hyunseung, noticing how startled she was when he laid a hand on her shoulder. He then saw them talking for a while, looking like she was apologizing or felt guilty of something, then she hugged Hyunseung and he hugged her back. She let go and walked to her class. Ren finally noticed her hand in bandages as Hyunseung walked in with a smile and took his seat behind Jihoon and grabbed his books.

"Hey," Ren nudged Hyunseung after walking over. Hyunseung looked at him with a curious face. "What was that about?"

"Oh, you mean with Jess? She had some guys disturbing her, and one of my roommates helped her. Then, I brought her back home after taking care of her hand."

"Disturbed? How? When did that happen?" Ren tightened his fists.

"Last night. She told me they tried to her."

"What!?" Ren shouted, gaining attention from other students. "? Why didn't she call me?"

"Maybe she didn't want to disturb you, knowing your dedication to school and so." Hyunseung reasoned. Ren attempted to leave the classroom to find her, but his teacher walked in and sent him back to his seat. Ren kept fidgeting in his seat as the class proceeded. He kept glancing at the clock, wishing for time to speed up. The bell finally rang for lunch and Ren dashed out the room, knowing Jonghyun and Minhyun would take his bag with them for him. He was going straight to the cooking classroom, knowing that was Jessica's last class before lunch. Jessica walked out and flinched backwards when Ren was suddenly in front of her. He eyed her up and down with a worried expression.

"Hey." Jessica smiled, but frowned after noticing Ren's face. "Something wrong?" She asked, but Ren ignored her question and grabbed her hand, then dragged her all the way to the fountain, shooing away some students so they could sit down. Ren grabbed her bag and set it on the ground before pushing Jessica to sit down next to him. Once she sat he immediately started rolling up her sleeves and run his hands over her body to check if she was hurt anywhere.

"Ren, what are you doing?" Jessica asked while trying to stop his hands. Ren surprised her by hugging her tightly, too tightly almost.

"Thank God, you have nothing else." Ren said relieved.

"What do you mean? What's going on?" Jessica pulled back to look at him.

"Why didn't you call me about the attack? I had to hear it from that new kid." Ren spoke annoyed.

"Oh, that." Jessica looked down. "You said you needed some time for yourself. I didn't want to worry you, with all the things you're dealing with and so."

"That's bull." Ren spoke loudly, catching her off guard. "You know you can always call me. You're more important than anything else I'm dealing with."

"I'm sorry." Jessica looked down again. Ren looked at her, feeling.

"It's fine." Ren grabbed her hand, intertwining their fingers. "Just call me next time, alright? All I need to know is that you're safe." Ren gently placed his forehead against hers, while rubbing his thumb on her hand. Jessica nodded and smiled slightly before he kissed her.

"And, from now on, I'm driving you home after each of your shifts."

"But, Ren-"

"It's not up for debate." He gave her a stern look. She sighed exasperated but smiled at him.

 

Wednesday, October 5th

Ren waited for Jessica to enter his car in the morning.

"Hey, how was work?" Ren asked before pecking her lips. He quickly started the car and drove off.

"Uneventful. Never expected bookshops would be this boring." Jessica pouted.

"I though you loved bookstores."

"That's before I found out there's only like three people coming by every day. People just don't seem to read anymore, and if they do, it's only those stupid eBooks." Ren snickered. "What?"

"I just like your passion for books. It's refreshing."

"You only like my passion, because the only girls you've ever done are imbeciles who simply strive for enough to pass a class." She mocked.

"Let's just call those trial runs for the real deal."

"Was that a compliment?" She raised an eyebrow at him.

"Let's say it is. And, If you don't like it, then quit."

"I can't, you know that. My mom, my sister and I are saving money to get a new place. College is hard enough for Alice, and now she also works at the campus store."

"I know, and you know I have the money for you. I can also get you guys a better place, one with security for that lunatic father of yours." Ren said annoyed.

"I don't want to depend-"

"I know that." Ren cut her off as he stopped at a red light.

"You do realize that you living there will only increase the chance of him going after you girls, so you won't testify in court, right?" Jessica bit her cheek.

"How am I supposed to be okay knowing that?" Jessica sighed before hugging his arm.

"I know you are worried. But he didn't come by that house in five years. Besides, the police is holding him in a detention centre until the trial. He can't hurt us." Before Ren could answer, someone behind him beeped to let him now it was a green light. Ren sighed before taking off again, still with Jessica hugging his arm.

"Just, make sure to text or call me, okay? No matter what's happening." Ren parked his car after they reached the school.

"Every night?" She smirked at him. He looked at her.

"Every. Night." He leaned in. She blushed.

"I promise." Jessica smiled at him. Ren smiled back, before pulling her in for a kiss. They both rushed to class when they noticed the time and thankfully made it just before the teacher walked in.

"Why are you all red?" Raina frowned as Jessica sat next to her, panting from all the running.

"N-No reason." Jessica said and just looked straight ahead. Raina looked at Nana and Lizzy, who gestured to the obviously new marks on her neck.

 

"Your buttons are loose." Jonghyun grinned as Ren walked in. Ren smirked and buttoned his shirt.

"Jessica, I bet. Couldn't keep it in her pants again." Minhyun joked. Ren glared at him.

"Jessica is a classy lady. She wouldn't ask for it every day." Ren continued glaring at Minhyun.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter