Chapter Four

Old Friends Bring New Problems
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Tuesday, October 15th

"Hey." Jessica and Ren joined Jonghyun and Minhyun at their lockers.

"Hey. I thought you guys would be at the church by now."

"Ren was dead set on not missing his test. My teacher is letting me take mine early so I can go with him."

"Say what you want about our school, but we sure are lucky with our teachers." Minhyun gave Ren a comforting squeeze on his shoulder.

"Coming from the same guy who called our math teacher an last week for getting zero on his mock test." Jonghyun raised an eyebrow at him.

"I can feel both ways about him." Jessica rolled her eyes at him.

"Hey, uhm. I'm sorry if it's insensitive, but don't people usually have funerals about a week after they passed?" Minhyun asked.

"Apparently there was some trouble with him getting brought over here. Apparently the morgue was like, he died here, so he has to be buried here as a legal citizen. His parents wanted to bury him with his parents, like he wanted. It was just a lot of bull, to be honest."

"For what it's worth, I hope the service will be beautiful." Jonghyun smiled.

"It probably will be. His parents payed for the whole thing." The bell rung and students rushed off to classrooms.

"That's our cue. I'll come find you when I'm finished." Ren pecked Jessica on the cheek and followed Jonghyun and Minhyun to their classroom. As they passed Jihoon and Hyunseung to their seats, Hyunseung whistled.

"Dressed in black today. I knew you were a spy." He joked. Ren rolled his eyes.

"I thought wearing a uniform was required on school grounds. Or, does the golden boy get an exception?" Hyunseung eyed the teacher.

"Mr. Choi has permission to wear something else for today."

"Why?"

"That's not needed for you to know, Mr. Jang. What is needed for you to know is the answers to this test. So, I hope you studied well." Hyunseung scoffed.

"Guess the rich boys get everything they want." Hyunseung muttered.

"What is your problem?" Ren glared at him.

"Ignore him." Jonghyun's nudged.

"You're my problem. You get to do whatever you want out here and everyone lets you because you have money or you threaten them."

"For someone I just met a month ago, you sure seem to have me all figured out."

"Because I know guys like you. You know exactly to act like a good guy for the right people, like Jess and the teachers, but in reality you're an . And, I can't wait for people to realize that." Ren sighed.

"You want to know why I'm wearing black? I'm going to a funeral. And, since we're at it, I wasn't here during orientation because the employee's funeral I'm going to died that week. What's it to you?" Hyunseung scoffed.

"An employee's funeral? Why are you even going? Let me guess. Your parents are paying for it."

"Yes, they are. Because, he served our family since my dad was my age. He practically raised me."

"Well, guess it makes sense. Masking the guilt by paying for his grave you probably drove him into anyway." Ren pushed his desk away and charged at Hyunseung. The two stared at each other for a while before their teacher spoke up.

"Mr. Jang, I want you to head to the principal's office."

"What?" Hyunseung frowned at him.

"Now, Mr. Jang."

"So he flips a table and I have to go to the principal's office?!"

"I will not repeat myself." Hyunseung scoffed again.

"Thanks for proving my point." Hyunseung glared at Ren and headed out of the room.

"You can do your test next week in detention." The teacher added. He helped Ren put his table back and made sure everyone settled down for their tests. After Ren finished his and handed it in at the teacher's desk, he went out to find Jessica's classroom. His teacher and Jonghyun and Minhyun wished him good luck before he left. After the funeral, they went back to his parent's place. Jessica sat on his bed next to him to take her shoes off.

"It was a really nice service. All those people saying nice things about him." She glanced at Ren, who stared out into space.

"I liked your speech. I didn't even know his name was Richard."

"Yeah, I probably should've used his name around you. It would've been more respectful."

"You guys' relationship was mostly professional. It's okay."

"I put him in the hospital last year. I should've just made him retire."

"I doubt he would've just walked away. He only ever worked for your family. Maybe you don't believe it, but he was really proud of you. You were like a son to him."

"I just can't help but feel like it is my fault." Ren sobbed. Jessica hugged him as he continued crying.

"It's not. I promise you, it's not. He loved you." She rubbed his back. He sighed after a while and pulled back.

"I must look real y like this." He wiped his tears away.

"Seriously? That's what you're concerned about?"

"I always care about how you perceive me." Jessica couldn't help but smile. She caressed his neck and pulled him in for a kiss.

"You'll always be the iest to me." She whispered. Ren leaned in for another kiss.

"So will you." He kissed her again and pulled her with him to lie down.

"Hmm, wait." Jessica pulled back when his hand trailed down her back. "Are you sure you want to? I mean, you're kind of emotionally fragile right now."

"That's why I need you right now. To distract me from the crying."

"Ren, I'm serious." She sighed.

"Jess, I love you. Especially right now. Yes, I'm grieving, but it also made me realize how important you are to me. I just want to show my appreciation for you." He kissed her again. She groaned.

"Why can't I ever say no to you?"

"Because you love me about the same amount." He smirked.

"More." She retorted. She climbed on top of him and dove in for another reassuring kiss.

 

Saturday, October 19th

Jessica woke up from her older sister jumping up and down on Jessica's bed.

"Wake up! Wake Up! Wake Up! It's already nine o' clock!" Alice yelled as she jumped up and down on Jessica's bed. Jessica groaned in annoyance. Alice stopped jumping and sat on the bed while Jessica sat up straight. Alice immediately attacked her in a hug.

"Happy Birthday little girl!" Alice yelled in her ear, causing Jessica to flinch.

"Thank you, now get out." Jessica said groggily as she just woke up and laid back down.

"No. No. No. No going back to sleep." Alice pulled her back up and out of bed. "Put on your cutest outfit and come downstairs for breakfast!" Alice ran out of Jessica's room. Jessica sighed and sat on her bed.

"Why did she have to come home for this?" Jessica muttered while she rubbed her eyes. She put on a white button up dress with a black leather belt.

"Happy Birthday!" Jamie yelled after Jessica made it down the stairs. She shoved a drawing in her hand.

"You made this for me?" Jessica asked as she bend down a little. Jamie nodded and smiled brightly.

"Look, that's you, me, mommy, Alice and Big- Man." Jamie explained while Jessica looked at the drawing. Jessica chuckled. Jamie grabbed her hand and let her to the kitchen.

"Happy birthday baby." Her mother gave her a tight hug before letting her sit.

"Pancakes for breakfast? Thanks mom."

"Yes, you deserve a little treat on your birthday. And, we even got you some gifts. But, eat first." Her mother said down too and they started eating.

"So, what did Ren plan out for your birthday? Amorous activities I bet." Alice said after a while.

"Alice!" Jessica's eyes widened and she nodded to their youngest sister. Alice rolled her eyes.

"If he is, he better be respectful." Their mother said.

"He's taking me to a movie I really want to see. After, i suppose dinner, then my party here at home." Jessica smiled.

"Please tell me you're not wearing that tonight." Alice eyed Jessica up and down. "I mean, it's cute for an afternoon date, but a party."

"You only like outfits that show more skin than it covers."

"You say that like it's a bad thing." Jessica rolled her eyes at her.

"What time is that boyfriend of yours picking you up?" Her mother asked.

"Uhm, around one, I think."

"Good, plenty of time for your presents."

"Mom, you really don't have to. You went through twenty hours of labour for me. You've paid the price."

"Put that on your mother's day card. You're still getting a gift." She winked. Jessica smiled. After breakfast they each have their gifts. Alice and their mother shared the price for their gift, which was trilogy book set. And Jamie gave a home-made bracelet, demanding she'd wear it to her date with Ren. After a while, Ren rung the bell and was attacked by a very energetic Jamie.

"Okay, what got into her?" Ren asked when he finally freed from her.

"She, uhm, took a sip of my energy drink, when I wasn't looking." Jessica smiled awkwardly.

"Wow that was like a horror movie." He chuckled as he dusted off his jeans.

"Hey babe." He smiled and Jessica smiled back. He gave her a kiss. "Ready to go?"

"Sure." Jessica nodded. She told her mother she was going and gave her and Jamie a kiss before going. Ren was already at his car and held the door open for her.

"Is that new?" Ren asked when he noticed the very colourful bracelet from Jamie's Make Your Own Bracelet kit.

"Yeah, Jamie made it for me. She wanted me to wear it all day." Jessica said as Ren also climbed in on the driver's side and fastene

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter