Bitter

Obvious

"Kyuhyun is here and he refuses to open the door to my own room. What the hell happened?"

 

Sungmin sighed as he finished reading Ryeowook's message. After Kyuhyun 's angry outbreak, he ran downstairs, but couldn't reach the younger, who had already left the house.

 

After 10 phone calls and nearly 50 text messages that remained unreplyed, he gave up on contacting Kyuhyun.

 

Sungmin knew where the younger had gone to. Kyuhyun didn't have many friends, and knowing Kyuhyun, he was sure the latter wouldn't seek shelter in his sister's cramped dormitory.

 

Sungmin kept rolling from side to side on top of his bed cursing at the universe for granting him such great stupidity, as he waited for Ryeowook's contact. He was so sure Kyuhyun had gone to Ryeowook's place, but, even though he spammed both Kyuhyun and Ryeowook, none of them replied his messages. Although it took longer than he expected, the reply eventually came. Sighing bitterly he quickly punched a reply to Ryeowook's message. 

 

"We fought over something stupid, don't ask.. 

Is he ok? Did he say something?"

 

"I can't hear anything apart from the background music of the game he's playing. He seemed pretty upset when he got here, I offered him to stay overnight because he insisted he didn't want to go back home"

 

Sungmin sighed as he paced around his room, so Kyuhyun really did not come back to his house, that explained why the lights were out.

 

"Can you try talking to him? I was a bit of an , he won't talk to me for anything right now..Just say I'm sorry... And that I want to speak to him as soon as he feels like it" 

 

"He's acting like an emo kid at the moment, I will try to save your boyfriend from drowning in his own tears and stop him from eating all the contents of my frigde"

 

"Thank you Wookie, I owe you one"

 

"Oh please, I'm just supporting my favourite unnofficial couple"

 

Sungmin turned off his phone and threw it on his bed. He needed a plan to make up for hurting his best friend. The good thing was, he actually got one.

 

------

 

Sungmin grinned like a mad man when he finished icing the red velvet cake that took him two hours to bake. It was hard to find all the ingredients at home, and it was even harder to explain to his mother why the hell he was baking a red velvet cake at 12pm, but he managed to come up with a pretty decent explanation.

 

"It's for Ryeowook's birthday mom, he likes red velvet cake!"

 

Yeah, right.

 

The cake was beautifully decorated with tiny sugar stars, the white icing spelled "I'm sorry" with awkwardly drawn letters. Although it came out a bit smaller than he expected, Sungmin didn't care. The icing was a bit off, there was too much red coloring in the mix, and he overbaked the batter for 10 minutes. But he didn't care. He knew how much effort he put on the cake, and he was sure that Kyuhyun would love it. After all, according to his own mother, "the only way to a man's heart is through his stomach".

 

After applying yet another layer of icing on the cake, he carefully placed it inside the fridge for cooling. It was currently 2 in the morning, meaning he still had enough time to sneak into Kyuhyun's room and place the cake securely on the table before the younger returned from Ryeowook's house. 

 

Sungmin smilled shyly to himself as he placed the dirty dishes on the sink, rinsing them off one by one. He could get used to this type of thing, baking sweets, writing letters with sweet nothings just for the sake of making his best friend crack up a smile. Sungmin was obviously drawing a fence between his conception of Kyuhyun as his "best friend" and Kyuhyun as his "potential boyfriend". After Kyuhyun's y outbreak (that sort of messed up with him) he decided to let go of his so-called "plan". Kyuhyun never did anything to deserve the cold shoulder treatment, and just because Sungmin had been gifted with the disgrace of growing a crush towards the younger, it didn't mean that the latter had to suffer the consequences. Sungmin had to keep it in his pants and wait for his"needy" phase to pass.

 

And pray for it to actually pass.

 

After the cake finished cooling, Sungmin carefuly transported it to his room upstairs, minding every step he took. He sat by the windowsill, holding the cake securely as he forced Kyuhyun's window open with precision. Being extra careful, he maneuvered himself inside the younger's room with the small sized red velvet cake in hands. Sungmin paced slowly inside the room, and carefully placed the cake on top of Kyuhyun's messy mahogany desk. He found got a pen from Kyuhyun's pencil case and quickly scribbled a note to the younger, making sure to fold it neatl. After making sure everything was in place, he rushed back to his room and locked the window . 

 

Sungmin grinned to himself while clutching his phone (with Kyuhyun's photo still set as the lockscreen wallpaper) to his chest, as if he was actually hugging Kyuhyun.

 

Sungmin knew he was acting like a teenage girl.

 

But if it was that how teenage girls felt 24/7, he'd gladly turn himself into one.

 

 

------

 

 

Kyuhyun decided to leave Ryeowook's place before the latter woke up. He felt bad for taking up space on Ryeowook's own bed and abusing the latter's hospitality. Kyuhyun knew it was wrong to barge in someone else's house and claim their bed as his own, but he was moody and wasn't sane enough to bother being polite.

 

After waking up and gathering his belongings, he swiftly left the room, being careful to not make any noise. He didn't intend to be a nuisance to Ryeowook any longer. 

 

Kyuhyun wandered through the empty streets, lost in thoughts. 

 

It had been a long time since he had such an outbreak onto Sungmin. He wondered if it was his testosterone filled brain taking control over his actions, or just his romantic feelings for the cute man that were finally surfacing.

 

Sungmin did have his eventual emo phases, when he would just lock himself inside his room and only talk to Kyuhyun via text messages. It usually happened when his father was excessively harsh on him due to his grandes, or when he watched the season finale of Desperate Housewives. Still, never once in all those years of living practically together, Sungmin ignored Kyuhyun completely.

 

Not even once.

 

When Sungmin was busy, or simply couldn't open the window because of his annoying-as-hell father, he managed to at least text Kyuhyun a "good morning" or "good night", or even sneak cheesy handwritten notes through his window.

 

They had an unspoken agreement between them that they would never, ever, leave the other behind for whatever reason. 

 

Kyuhyun was a loner, he didn't open much to others.

 

Sungmin was the only one he could come to whenever he needed. 

 

Ryeowook was too loud and didn't know how to shut his trap. Donghae was a 5 year old trapped in the body of a teenager, meaning he was way too immature to deal with a serious conversation. 

 

None of them was like Sungmin.

 

Sungmin was an expert in hiding his feelings. Although he seemed like a bright-as-sunshine kid, deep inside he was afraid of not fitting in, of being left out.

 

Eunhyuk was too lousy, Han Geng was too cold.

 

None of them was like Kyuhyun.

 

They needed each other and they were fully aware of that.

 

Then why did Sungmin cut off his connections for nearly a week?

 

Wasn't Kyuhyun good enough anymore? Did he find someone else he could hold on to? Did his parents find out about their escapades? 

 

Did he...move on?

 

Kyuhyun shook his head harshly, trying to avoid his mind to wander to these sort of thoughts. He fastened his pace, hoping to reach home soon.

 

Sungmin didn't even like him romantically in the first place. The elder probably only saw him as a nuisance, rather than a shoulder to lean on.

 

Kyuhyun kicked a rock that stood in his path, and resumed his walking. After 15 minutes of walking, he arrived at his house.

 

He opened the front door quietly, and locked it behind him. He removed his shoes, leaving them behind as he walked up the stairs, looking forward to take a hot bath.

 

Kyuhyun kicked the door to his room open, throwing his keys on top of his bed as he stripped off his overcoat. He was about to go inside the bathroom when he noticed something lying over his mahogany table.

 

He reached closer, and noticed it was a cake, with a carefully bended note tucked under it.

 

Kyuhyun removed the note from under the cake tossing the envelope aside as he readed the handwritten words.

 

"I was a jerk.

 

But you already know that.

 

I know you're hurt. I hurt you. And I'm sorry.

 

You're the most important thing on my life, and I can't handle the thought of you being mad at me, even if I was a complete idiot.

 

Sorry, Kyuhyun. 

 

Love, Ming"

 

Kyuhyun stared dumbfounded at the note, a grin slowly stretching through his face. His eyes slowly darted to the cake lying on top of his table. The words "I'm sorry" were written messily with white icing. It looked sketchy since the icing had melted, but Kyuhyun couldn't care less about it.

 

Grinning, he tucked the note safely inside his drawer. He descent the stairs and paced around the kitchen looking for a spoon, after he found one, he got back to his room and cut himself a small piece of the cake.

 

It tasted terrible.

 

It tasted like sugar coated baked food colouring, with a slight touch of cocoa.

 

Although he spat all the contents of his mouth in the nearest trash can, Kyuhyun was feeling like the happiest person alive.

 

It seemed like he actually mattered, after all.

 

-----------------

 

Kyuhyun peeked over the curtains of Sungmin's room, finding the latter curled up in a ball under the hot pink conforter, looking adorable clutching his bunny plushie to his chest.

 

The elder's mouth was open, a string of drool decorating his puffy cheek.

 

Kyuhyun scoffed at the view, a small smile resting on his lips, as he clumsily maneuvered himself inside Sungmin's room.

 

He closed the window carefuly making sure he didn't make any noise. Kyuhyun paced slowly towards the elder's bed. He pushed the conforter off Sungmin's body and layed down next to the latter, his arms embracing Sungmin's waist, drawing circles on the elder's hipbone.

 

Sungmin released a soft sigh at the movement, and scooted closer to the younger, enjoying the warmth provided by him.

 

Kyuhyun kept his ministrations on Sungmin's hipbone, rubbing his sides lightly, watching the elder's chest rise and fall evenly, indicating he was still asleep.

 

Kyuhyun stared at Sungmin's sleeping form, from the milky white neck to the sharp pointed nose, to the m shaped lips that he was so tantalized to taste.

 

Sungmin slowly scooted even closer to Kyuhyun, relaxing over the younger's warm embrace. He started stretching, rousing himself off his deep slumber.

 

Kyuhyun spoke out, admiring the view of a very sleepy looking Sungmin with his messy hair pointing out in every possible direction.

 

"Didn't know you were such a pattisseur, Mincess

 

Sungmin blinked his sleepiness away, startled by the sight of the younger staring back at him, dark brown orbs reflecting the sunrays that creeped through Sungmin's white curtains.

 

"KYUHYUN!?" Sungmin screeched, eyes wide open looking startled.

 

He quickly moved away from Kyuhyun's body and pulled his conforter over his eyes, trying and failling to hide his tousled hair and drool drenched face from Kyuhyun's eyes.

 

"Sungmin is not like I haven't seen your sleepy face before" Kyuhyun mumbled, trying to remove the hot pink conforter off Sungmin's death grip.

 

Sungmin lowered the conforter and glared at Kyuhyun "Why are you here?" 

 

Kyuhyun rolled his eyes and smirked "I thought you said you were sorry, I'm just here to confirm it" 

 

Sungmin stared back and blinked dazedly, taken aback by Kyuhyun's words. He faced away trying to hide his blush.

 

"Oh" he whispered still avoiding Kyuhyun's gaze "I said everything I needed to in the note, didn't I?" Sungmin said, shifting unconfortably on top of his mattress.

 

Kyuhyun chuckled lowly, wrapping once again his arms on Sungmin's slim waist, squeezing the elder's hipbone lightly, earning a soft sigh from the cute man.

 

"No, you didn't. I want to hear a 'I'm sorry' from your lips, not from a note" he breathed on Sungmin's ear, successfuly making Sungmin blush deepen.

 

"Y-yah s-stop being like this" Sungmin stuttered, hiding his face on Kyuhyun's chest. "Fine, I'm sorry." he slapped Kyuhyun's chest playfully "Now let me go, I can't breathe properly" 

 

"No, I want to hold you" Kyuhyun said, his voice husky, making Sungmin's heart beat at a rapid pace.

 

They stayed quiet, enjoying each other's confort. 

 

"You know, you really scared me Min" Kyuhyun started.

 

Oh well.

 

Sungmin didn't want to go there. He left the note with the solemn reason of not wanting to talk about what happened. He knew he had been stupid and unreasonable, he learned his lesson, the end. No need to bring the subject up again.

 

"I got scared. You wasn't answering my calls. At first I thought you were just busy, but after two days I started getting worried." Kyuhyun released a sigh " Your father wasn't exactly cooperative, I lost count of how many times he shut the door at my face"

 

Sungmin tensed up at the mention of his father. But still, he kept quiet, waiting for Kyuhyun to finish.

 

"I don't know why you chose to pull out the emo card, but please, just don't leave me in the dark for so long again."

 

Kyuhyun tightened his hold on Sungmin's waist, hiding his face on the pillow, avoiding Sungmin's gaze.

 

"I won't" Sungmin whispered "it was just... A lapse. I know you're as emotional as a pregnant woman, I won't leave you hanging again." he chuckled, running his hands through Kyuhyun's brown locks.

 

"I'm not. Gosh I still can't believe I had to feign a near death situation for you to stop ignoring me." Kyuhyun scoffed.

 

"It wasn't a near death situa- wait, you planned that?!" Sungmin screeched, staring incredulously at Kyuhyun.

 

"Sometimes drama can be a weapon" Kyuhyun said, winking at Sungmin who looked hilarious with his eyes open as wide as saucers.

 

"Oh gosh you idiot!!!!" Sungmin yelled, hitting Kyuhyun's chest continuously, mad at the thought of being mannipulated by his best friend. "I was worried sick!!!! Do you have any idea of how bad I was feeling after that!?"

 

Kyuhyun grabbed Sungmin's wrists and rolled over the elder, straddling him "Well now you know how I was feeling." Kyuhyun said, staring back at Sungmin's wide eyes.

 

Sungmin averted his gaze, feeling his face heating up. He could feel Kyuyun pressing himself over his crotch, and as much as that was pleasing him, he didn't want to throw himself over Kyuhyun when they had just made up, and his parents were asleep less than 10m away.

 

He quickly used his strenght to flip Kyuhyun over to his side, sucessfully removing the younger from his lap. Sungmin pushed the conforter up once again, covering his face. "Okay I get it, I ed up, we're okay now, no need to bring this up ever again." Sungmin said, voice low.

 

"Sure you did. Now remove that blanket from your face will you?"

 

Sungmin did as told, still avoiding eye contact "What did you do at Ryeowook's place though? He's almost never there, all of his things are at his brother's place. There probably wasn't anything for you to do at his house."

 

"I claimed his laptop as mine and played starcraft the whole day. Thought it was a difficult task since his laptop is the laggiest thing I've ever used. "

 

"He told me his laptop is for studying only, It must be packed with school files"

 

"Hmmm not really. It's rather packed with If I tell you." Kyuhyun giggled.

 

"What the hell!?" Sungmin screeched. He knew Ryeowook could be a ert at times and they were both hormone driven teenagers, it was more than common for them to discuss , but Ryeowook wasn't the type of being open with every single person out there, and Kyuhyun wasn't even that of a close friend of Ryeowook as Sungmin was.

 

Awkward.

 

"Also, he seems to be an avid fan of gay .. I was suspicious about him liking guys but I didn't think he would be so careless in hiding that sort of stuff, specially because the subject appears to be a sensitive topic for him" kyuhyun trailed off, resting his right arm at Sungmin's torso, drawing circles. "I shouldn't have confronted him about it. I mean I slept on his bed, used his things, he was so generous and still I was an and made him upset, I felt so uneasy I flew from there right after waking up. He said he didn't take it personally but I think you should talk to him about it" Kyuhyun finished. He stared at the light pink walls, expecting Sungmin to throw a tantrum at him for being so insensitive.

 

They spent the next few minutes in deep silence. Kyuhyun was growing more and more anxious and was about to ask Sungmin if he was alright when the elder broke the silence, his voice sounding small and almost... Scared.

 

"Kyuhyun, do you have anything against.. People like Ryeowook?"

 

 

---------------------------------------------

Hello there! how are you all? Sorry this took a while to post, real life is kicking my .

Hope you enjoy the chapter! I'm trying to improve my writing.. wish me luck with that orz

special thanks to all my beta readers! and thank you all for reading~