When Eyes Meet

Who Am I

Tori was sitting on her bed in her usual way, seemingly unchanged by the events of the day before. She watched the birds fly on and off the window sill and the branches that gently swayed back and forth from the light breeze.

It was just a few minutes passed 9 AM and Ana came into the room wearing a backpack, "Good morning unnie."

This time, Tori turned and looked at her. Pleased with the response, she continued, "Unnie, mwo-hae? (What are you doing?)"

Tori did not say anything and eyed the bag on her back.

"Oh? This? It's new. You like it?" Ana took it off and showed it to her.

Tori didn't seem very interested and looked back out the window.

Unfazed, Ana opened the bag, "I got it because I have to go around the city more from now on," she rustled through its contents, "I need to go job hunting. I should at least find something that'll pay for my own living expenses so you parents have one less thing to worry about."

She took out a couple cups of packaged pudding, "Unnie, I'm telling you: this is really good. It's sweet but not heavy like regular flan." She placed it on the table and swung the bag back on, "I'm just stopping by to check up on you. I'll come back tonight, okay?" She straightened the quilt laying on the foot of the bed and gave Tori a last glance, hoping for an acknowledgement of her leaving. But, received none.

"Ja (here/well)...I'll see you later." She turned for the door which Gongchan and Jinyoung suddenly entered through. Gongchan was wearing a black cap with fake glasses while Jinyoung wore a black face mask. Seeing Ana, they bowed with a greeting and Jinyoung took off his disguise.

"Oh-" Ana was surprised by their entrance. She bowed in response and said, "What brings you here?"

"I didn't have a schedule today and thought I'd come see nuna for a bit." Gongchan said with a smile. His words and gestures were neither awkward nor shy, unlike his older brothers from the group. Jinyoung, on the other hand was quietly standing next to him, with his hands folded.

Gongchan continued,"Jinyoung hyung didn't get a chance to spend time with nuna yesterday so he came today as well," Jinyoung tipped his head as a slight bow when his name was mentioned and Ana bowed again in thanks. Gongchan noticed that Ana was on her way out of the room, "Is it okay that we stay here for a bit today?"

"Of course! Thank you so much for your care," Ana said, "I actually have to be out for most of the day, so I'm glad there is someone that can spend time with her." Though she did not want to trouble them, she was relieved that Tori wasn't going to be alone in her room. "You are welcome to stay as long as you like."

They gave a last greeting and Ana left the two men in the silent room.

"Nuna!" Gongchan shuffled his feet toward the bed and took a seat beside her, "Nuu..naa.." He dragged out his speech to catch her attention.

Tori turned her head, slowly to look at him and he smiled, pleased that he received a response, "Ahnyoung~" He waved and immediately covered his mouth as the words slipped out, "I wonder if she minds me speaking informally to her," he said to Jinyoung, who was standing beside him, "it just feels so comfortable to do so..." he chuckled and turned back to Tori and bowed his head slightly, "Ahnyoung haseo."

Tori just stared at him as he continued to speak, "Hyung and I came to see you again. Do you remember us? Do you remember me? I'm Gongchan! Do you remember Jinyoung hyung? How are you feeling today? Is your body feeling better? Does your head still hurt? Did you sleep well?"

Jinyoung watched Tori's eyes as Gongchan asked his questions and saw something. It was like there were muted words being spoken through the way she looked at him. As if, she was asking why he had so many questions.

Gongchan searched for a change in her facial expression, but found none. "Hyung," he looked up at Jinyoung, "Do you think she understands? How can she keep such a straight face?"

Jinyoung snapped out of his thoughts, "Oh?" He glanced at his maknae (youngest) and back at Tori who has turned her attention to him now, "Mwo.." he averted his eyes away from her gaze, "How do you expect her to answer so many questions at once? Even I can't keep up with them."

Gongchan smiled sheepishly and rubbed the back of his head, "I guess you're right. Oh! Nuna, did you have breakfast yet?" He showed her a plastic bag he was holding, "Hyung and I brought some fruit for you!" He smiled excitedly and stood up, pulling Jinyoung into the seat, "Hyung, try talking to nuna for a bit. I'll go wash and cut the fruit for her!"

Before he could say a word, Gongchan put on his cap and quietly left the room.

"He better not get caught" Jinyoung mumbled to himself while shaking his head. He turned and saw Tori looking at him and tipped his head slightly, "A-ahnyoung haseo," he stuttered and smiled slightly.

"Mi-an haeyo (sorry). Our maknae is just like that, really friendly and approachable." He nodded awkwardly and folded his hands on his lap. She stared at him as he spoke without a change in her expression but he felt a need to react, "Jinjja-yo (seriously), our maknae can be childish and friendly... mwo... he also has his moments when he's more mature then us hyungs."

Though she said nothing, Jinyoung saw words coming through her gaze, again.

"Ah... my speech?" he smiled awkwardly and scratched the back of his head, "Mwo...it's more comfortable for me that way." He nodded while looking down, "After all, you don't really express yourself much so even though everyone else does it, no one really knows if you mind being spoken informally to." He looked up at her, "Ah, you don't care? Jeongmalloyo (really)?" he paused for a second to think about it, "Ah...mwo... I'm still more comfortable speaking formally... for now." He smiled shyly, suddenly noticing that her eyes had slightly widened, blinking a couple times at him.

Seeing her shocked reaction, he found himself in shock too, "Ah.." he made a sound by air through his teeth and tilted his head to the side, "Mi-an haeyo... I'm just going on, guessing what you might say. I don't really know if that's what you're thinking..." He cleared his voice and scratched his head again, "I probably look like a crazy person talking to myself right now, don't I?" He laughed nervously and looked toward the door, hoping Gongchan would save him from this awkward situation.

Wanting to find an excuse to pause the conversation, Jinyoung decided he should go check the door, "Tori-ssi, I'm sorry bu-"

He saw her looking at something on the bedside table, he followed her gaze in curiosity, "Isn't that... pudding?"

Tori reached for one and looked down at it in her hands. Confused, Jinyoung just watched her; Did she want to eat it? Has she tried it before? Did Ana-ssi leave it here for her? Does it bear some sort of memory for her? Strangely, he found himself wishing she would look up so he wouldn't have to keep guessing what she was thinking.

Just then, she looked up at him and stretched out her arm toward him.

He was taken aback, "T-this..." he looked at the pudding cup and then at her. Without a doubt, the words come out, almost as clearly as if she spoke them with her lips.

He smiled and took the cup into his hands, "Gomawo-yo (thank you)."

The door shut behind him and Jinyoung turned to see Gongchan holding a plate of cut apples. "Oh, you're back?" He got up and took the bag of remaining fruit from Gongchan's arm as he placed the plate on the table. Gongchan reached into the bag, and took out a couple plastic forks and poked them into the apples, "Nuna...deu-seyo.(please eat)" Knowing she wouldn't respond, Gongchan turned his attention to Jinyoung, "Hyung," he nudged his senior who was sitting down again.

She glanced down at the fruit and then back at them, watching their conversation.

"Mwo?" Jinyoung looked up from the pudding he was opening and nudged him back.

"What happened?" Gongchan said quietly.

"What do you mean?"

"That." He tipped his head to gesture at the pudding. "I saw nuna give that to you. What happened? How'd you get her to interact with you like that?"

Jinyoung looked at his pudding and raised his brow, "Mwo.." he shrugged, "I don't know."

"Did she say anything? What did you tell her?"

Jinyoung shook his head and proceeded to take a scoop of pudding, "Nothing. She didn't say anything either." He tasted the sweetness of the smooth pudding and smiled, "Mmm...Mas-issda (yummy)~"

"Ya..."

The door slid open and the two boys jumped, a bit startled. Jinyoung turned to face the wall, hoping his face wasn't shown and Gongchan, being safely disguised behind his glasses, turned to see who walked in.

"Oh! Seonseng-nim!" Gongchan greeted him with a bow.

With a sigh of relief, Jinyoung got up calmly and bowed to the doctor.

Doctor Jang gave them a friendly smile and nodded his head while patting Gonchan's arm, "What good young fellows you are. Coming again to see Tori-ssi."

"Well, after finding out from InRo hyung that his famous doctor uncle really had a patient coming from New York named Tori, we were just curious. But after meeting her, and seeing how Ana-ssi is doing her best to make her better, we feel like we should do something to help. Even if it's something small," Jinyoung seemed more comfortable speaking to the older man than people around his age.

"But thank you, uncle Jang for letting us come to see her." Gongchan said.

The doctor smiled, "I'm glad my nephew gets to work with such good kids like you." He walked over to Tori, who has begun to nibble on a slice of apple, "Tori-ssi seems to have improved with just you boys being here."

"What do you mean?" The two boys looked at each other and shrugged.

"Well, we haven't had a therapy session since yesterday but just by looking at her now, she seems better." He turned to face them, "For one, she's eating in front of us. Usually, she would only eat by herself or if only Ana-ssi was in the room. Secondly, she didn't flinch away just now as I came closer." He folded his arms and nodded to himself, "I don't know why but it looks like I should prescribe a daily dosage of B1A4 in order for her to get better soon." He chuckled at his own joke, "Well, I need to take Tori-ssi to our first session for the day. It shouldn't take long. Will you buys be around when she comes back?"

Gongchan and Jinyoung looked at each other. Jinyoung slightly shrugged his shoulders, "Mwo... We don't have a schedule today, and Chan-ee wanted to spend some time with Tori-ssi. So, I guess we'll stay for a bit."

Gongchan smiled and nodded in agreement, "It wouldn't hurt much to stay a bit longer, would it?"

Dr. Jang shook his head, "Of course not." He cupped his hand over his mouth as if whispering a secret, "just don't let the nurses catch you." He chuckled again and turned back to Tori, "Tori-ssi, would you like to come have a chat with me?" He did not reach out to touch her and just waited for her to respond.

Gongchan and Jinyoung watched her stare at the doctor, "Hyung, do you think that nuna doesn't like the doctor?" Gongchan whispered to Jinyoung.

"Why do you say that?" his hyung mumbled back, without taking his eye off Tori.

"Mwo... I don't know. I just have a feeling that she doesn't seem so happy with him right now."

Jinyoung didn't respond and watched the interaction between the doctor and patient. Doctor Jang repeated his question again, "Tori-ssi... Tori-ssi? Would you like to come with me for just a moment?"

Tori's brows furrowed and she turned her attention away from the doctor and she caught the gaze of Jinyoung at Gongchan at the foot of the bed.

They both smiled at her and Jinyoung gave her a slight nod, hoping it would give her some assurance.

Tori looked down at her fingers, which have been fidgeting, and back at the doctor before finally getting out of bed.

"Ja~ That's great Tori-ssi! Let's go take a walk, shall we?" Doctor Jang motioned the direction of the door and she hesitantly walked the direction he guided. Following from behind her, Doctor Jang pat Gongchan's shoulder again as he left the room with her.

"Wah~ Hyung, do you think she's getting better already? She's even listening to the doctor now!" He took a seat on the couch and stretched his arms in the sky, "How can nuna make me so happy without even saying a word?" He took out his phone from his pocket, "I gotta tell Sandeulie hyung."

Jinyoung remained silent and took a seat next to his maknae. He pondered on what Gongchan just said; why did it make him feel so good to give her some support and assurance? Why did it make him smile when he saw her move after he gave her a nod? She could have just moved on her own will, not because of him. But even so, it made him feel light on the inside.

He scooped another bite from the pudding in his hands and let its soft sweetness take over his taste buds. His lips stretched into a smile as he thought of when she offered the pudding to him. She was clearly trying to comfort him in that awkward moment when he felt like his imagination was making him sound crazy. She clearly said through her gaze, "I'm sorry. Thank you."